By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nimble

Here is a list of all the postings Nimble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Copper Solid Rivets
04/08/2018 23:47:38

Hi Stirring Moose,

Some time ago I was searching for hollow brass rivets for the cone clutch on my car, and came across the follows sites.

Hope they may help you with your search,

wwwchicagorivet.com, and

**LINK**

**LINK**

Regards,

Nimble Neil

Thread: Magneto windings
30/07/2018 08:37:43

Hi Colin,

Here are a couple of sites you might like to visit.

https://occhiolungo.wordpress.com/table-of-contents

http://www.brufnut.de/WORKSHOP/LUCAS/lucas.htm

www.brufnut.de/WORKSHOP/FRIESEKE/friese.htm

Like you I would like to attempt my own magneto overhaul but realistically I had my magneto overhauled professionally

With my car I had the magneto with no regrets, For my money I would have the mag professionally overhauled just imagine being out in the Boondocks, pouring rain.etc

Regards Nimble Neil

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
21/07/2018 23:07:44

Today I noticed the death notice of Ivan Albert MUDROVCICH. Who apparently was attempting to re create the Pearse flying machine. I have been informed that the engine could actually be started from a static position by careful positioning of the piston and the switching on of ignition. Sadly I believe his ill health has hindered progress in his endeavours. I believe that the flying machine was towed on a trailer and it was shown that it managed to achieve sufficient lift to achieve flight. I do not know whether other team members will carry on with his endeavours.

**LINK**

Thread: Dropping 12v dc to 6v dc
28/05/2018 11:09:09

Dave , I must admit I have limited electrical knowledge, but your first point is that the current needs to be measured, by using my suggestion the initial currrent can be worked out with a value thar will protect the coil. from damage. Then if there needs to be any variation necessary maybe your method is the way to go. As you can see I am in contact with a user and his auto electrician and I have already asked him about the resistance of the coil. Another factor that may have to be considered is the capacitor OK.

Neil.

28/05/2018 09:44:25

It is a small world.

Currently I am researching the same subject for a friend. In regard to the resistance required I would suggest if you have a multimeter (preferably Digital ) you measure the resistance and using Ohm’s Law work out the resultant current. Again from Ohm’s law you would be then able to derive the resistance required and wattage of the ballast. My friends set up has 4Volt marked on the front switch plate, and 6V on the coil, perhaps parts from two units.

The from the following two sites you will be able to download information on Bosch ZU4, ZU6,ZF4 magnetos at www.oldcroak.com/zu4-zu6-zf4-zf6 and Bosch Dual Ignition For DU and ZR Magnetos at **LINK** For general magneto information try **LINK**

I have further info so will try to setup Public profile so that you can contact me directly.

Neil

Thread: 2-56 tap - can only buy one
16/05/2018 22:19:13

How about tapping all your holes with the taper tap, and when finished grind off excess length to reduce tap to a bottoming form. If in future you need to tap more holes you could then justify the purchase a new taper tap. Alternatively you could also counter bore the hole slightly to allow a bottoming tap to be aligned.How much thread engagement do you need? If you have plenty of depth you could use shorter screws or shorten your screws as per an earlier thread on screw shortening screws

Neil

Edited By Nimble on 16/05/2018 22:31:50

Thread: Picador Type Drill Grinding Jig Modifications
08/05/2018 04:27:05

Robert,

An article by Jim Whetren appeared in the August 2008 issue of Model Engineers Workshop P29-31. I also have hard copies taken from MEW for a rotation device for sharpening drills for use with the jig, unfortunately no full ref that I can give you. Graham Meek had a post on the forum http:/model-engineer.co..uk /forums/postings.asp?th=95436&p=1 will try to update my details if you want to PM me

Neil

Thread: Shortening screws
15/03/2018 18:24:13

Use nut plate as described by mechman48 then cut off extended thread section with a cold chisel done properly the nut plate will clear up any slight burr.

Neil

Thread: What's the most dangerous tool in your workshop
11/05/2017 01:33:14

Obviously tightening his nuts.

Neil

Thread: Pre-load of taper-rollers
02/05/2017 02:35:49

When I overhauled the differential on my 1926 Renault I used the following information from my Triumph Herald workshop manual for guidance.

Assemble the pinion with the bearings, spacer and driving flange and tighten the flange nut gradually to the correct torque of 70ft/lbs (9.678 m.k.g.)while constantly rotating the drive flange to ensure that the bearing do not become overloaded during the process, if necessary remove the flange and insert more shim washers.

When correctly tightened a preload torque of 12-16 lbs/in should be required to rotate the assembly (16lbs/ in for new bearings). Note that .001” shim thickness makes a difference of approx 4 lbs/in. A counterbalanced beam with a sliding counterweight that clips into the flange driving (Churchill special tool No. S98A) is used. I had to use a cord wrapped around a round drum and a spring balance to achieve the necessary reading.

26/09/2016 05:25:09

Not your normal aircraft sound! Three Merlins. The Latest Mosquito rebuild has just flown overhead accompanied by a Spitfire. Unfortunately I was in my workshop and my camera was inside.Better luck the next time, as the glide path to Ardmore aerodrome is overhead.

Neil

Thread: Broken Spoke Removal
27/04/2013 21:09:15

Any advice please, on how to remove 3mm stainless steel broken spokes from a bronze hub, off a Penny Farthing bicycle. Those that can be,o have had slots or drilled to take easi outs and removed. The others are proving more difficult.

27/09/2012 20:36:22

Went down to Ardmore Airport yesterday morning hoping to see the Mosquito doing taxiing trials and was fortunate enough to see it come down the taxiway, it then aligned itself up with the main runway and proceeded to take off on its Maiden flight at approx 0940. It did anumber of circuits avccompanied by a Trojan before going out of sight, apparently they were having trouble with the airspeed indicator an went to Mangere (Jean Batten) Intl Airport. to land as the crash facilities were better there. I stuck around until 1130 before going home. Went down at abou1620hrs apperently the Mosquito had returned done a few more circuits before going back to Mangere. About this time a flight of 5 Tigermoths landed. At abot 1730 the Mosquito retuned to land. Apparently it has to do 5 flying hours before it can take part in an aeroshow so I guess it will be taking of shortly to do more hours. I live about 3km from Ardmore and sometimes I am on th landing flight path so I am ever hopeful i will see it again today.

Neil

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest