By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Tinsley

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Tinsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Number stamps quality.
27/02/2022 13:24:00

I need to stamp the numbers on some dials that I have engraved. The sets of number stamps that I have (No name on them) are very poor at getting each number in the same place! Even the individual numbers are not upright and vary in degree of list!

So can anyone recommend a set of number stamps that always put the number in a standard place? I would be looking for 2 or 3 mm size height.for thr numbers.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
26/02/2022 17:52:15

Hello Diognes,

There seem to be a few new Sandvik bow saw blades on Ebay. So maybe all is not lost.

Andrew.

Thread: What VFD should I get
23/02/2022 18:10:12

I say again, that you will NOT be able to run a single phase motor from a VFD.

All that a VFD will give you is the motor speed. Your spindle does not run at motor speed and the VFD doesn't have a clue as to the gearing ratio between spindle and motor!

If you are convinced that a VFD will run a single phase motor and give a reading of spindle speed, then I suggest you demonstrate this. I for one will be most interested in the results.

Andrew.

23/02/2022 16:53:21

As your mill will be geared, the VFD cannot measure the spindle speed. All it will do is to tell you what speed the motor is running at. You will need to work out the spindle speed from that. Much better to get an electronic tachometer fitted to the spindle for speed readings.

Andrew.

23/02/2022 16:49:47

You cannot get a VFD that outputs single phase as a general rule. So you will need to change your single phase motor for a 3 phase one.

As to which one to get, there simply isn't a realistic answer. They range from cheap and cheerful Chinese ones to very expensive industrial ones with all the bells and whistles. At least the latter have a comprehensive instruction manual.

To reverse the question, how much do you want to spend and what power 3 phase motor are you going to get? Answer that and people will give you a less wide range of answers!!

I tend to buy well known units second hand or even new.

Andrew.

Thread: Parting tools and inserts
23/02/2022 13:13:23

As far as I know, JB Tools are taking a few months break. They said that they will be back later in the year. I hope so as Jenny Blackwell was an excellent supplier.

Andrew

23/02/2022 11:55:29

Double post again!

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 23/02/2022 11:57:46

23/02/2022 11:55:28

I have been using an Arc eurotrade Parting off blade with a GTN2 tip This is mounted in a QCP holder. So far it has done all I have asked of it on my Myford. I also have an HSS parting off tool, which I can use in a front and rear parting off block.

Now I would assume that a GTN2 tip in a QCP would be a good candidate for chatter and digging in. The QCP holder on my Myford is certainly not as rigid as a tool in a 4 way holder or indeed one clamped in the time honoured Myford way. So far both the traditional parting off blade and the insert blade have worked faultlessly.

Maybe it is something to do with locking everything that can move or maybe I have just been lucky?

Andrew.

Thread: recent power outage in Medway
23/02/2022 10:49:24

Re the motor failure on 3 port zone valves. I have never had a failure of a motor in nigh on 50 years. BUT I have had frequent failure of the microswitch limit switches. So if you have a dud 3 port valve and the motor still works, then check the microswitches!

I have two motor heads in stock with new microswitches fitted so that I am ready to change the motor head when the next microswitch fails.

Andrew.

Thread: Brian Hutchings
22/02/2022 21:05:36

I enjoyed his posts. I will miss him.

Andrew.

Thread: Motor for Myford Speed 10
22/02/2022 16:55:13

Hoovers made lots of induction motors, many more than their universal motors. Might pay to ascertain which type of Hoover motor you have.

Andrew.

22/02/2022 16:55:12

Hoovers made lots of induction motors, many more than their universal motors. Might pay to ascertain which type of Hoover motor you have.

Andrew.

Thread: recent power outage in Medway
22/02/2022 10:25:27

Plus one for the above. I sometimes think that I live in the USA and not the UK. Plus "cut" is shorter than "outage" so keep it simple.

Andrew.

Thread: Meddings Pillar Drill chuck change
21/02/2022 14:25:37

Don't bother with WD 40. It isn't a penetrating fluid. Use Plus Gas or similar if you want it to penetrate!

Andrew.

Thread: Metal Cleaning Using Vinegar?
20/02/2022 12:48:41

I always use phosphoric acid from E bay, works well on badly rusted stuff, if heated. Despite Dave's inability to select the stuff on Ebay, most folk will find the 30 to 50% phosphoric acid without much trouble. It is a lot cheaper than the commercial de-rusting agents that are phosphoric acid based that Dave seems to recommend.

For metal that is not rusted too much, washing soda and a battery charger works wonders.

Andrew.

Thread: Alternatives to Loctite
19/02/2022 15:24:55

Well I use Everbuild cyano. Mine will last for years when opened, because I keep it in a refrigerator. I suggest that SOD does the same and tell us if his cyano then lasts.

I usually only have one bottle open at a time and put a date on it when opened. A few months ago I came upon a "lost " bottle in the fridge with January 2018 on it. Still worked like a charm.

A friend of mine is an industrial chemist who once ran a cyano manufacturing plant in the UK. He confirmed my findings "put the top back on the bottle and stick it in the fridge" was his comment., It doesn't last for ever, but you can easily tell when it goes off, because it will take a good bit longer than normal to grab.

His final comment was that people don't read the instructions and that is the usual failure mode.

Andrew.

ck it in the fri

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 19/02/2022 15:26:38

Thread: Front door locks
19/02/2022 11:46:31

I had a keysafe fitted, never had any problems.

Andrew.

Thread: Alternatives to Loctite
18/02/2022 15:36:45

I have not tried Powerbond, but I can heartily endorse Arc Euros Bond Lock products.

I purchased some Loctite threadlock off Ebay. I didn't look closely enough at the photo and finished up with a Chinese fake instead. Nothing to lose, so I tried it out. It appears to be every bit as good as the genuine product, much to my amazement.

Andrew.

Thread: Leveling castors
13/02/2022 17:59:16

There are a good number of these for sale on Ebay and elsewhere. They sound to be a good idea for machines that need to be moved on occasion. Jack down onto the castors, move the machine and then jack up again. Sets of 4 seem to be going for £40 for 500 Kg / 1000 Kg machines.

Has anyone tried them? Are they any good? Or are they too good to be true? I would prefer not to have to find out the hard way!

Andrew.

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 13/02/2022 18:00:46

Thread: Thread size on a DTI?
13/02/2022 17:39:01

I seem to have collected a few DTI s ranging from a Verdict to a Silverline cheapo. Most of them have the traditional dovetail fixing system. However there are two which have a threaded stub for mounting, maybe a little over a 1/4" in diameter. Does anyone know what the thread is?

Normally I would measure the diameter of the stub and get a thread gauge on the threads. I have an eye problem (hopefully temporary!) that prevents me from doing the necessary measurements. I think that the thread is standard for many DTIs. Can anyone tell me what it is and at least I can order a tap (if I have not got one) for when the eyes improve!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest