By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Tinsley

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Tinsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Liquid Plus Gas
29/03/2022 15:43:11

Just to confirm that Rapid Tools have no stock and don't know when they will get any.

Andrew.

29/03/2022 14:29:27

Several companies do a "penetrating oil" that goes by the name of DW-40.,notably Smith Allan and Westway Seems that these are genuine companies that blend some of their products. Just wondering if these are knock offs of WD 40 or are they any good as a penetrating oil? they are priced at £20 for 5 litres, which is a goodly bit cheaper than Plus Gas at £16 for 500 ml

I wonder if Nicholas has tried either of them?

Andrew.

28/03/2022 20:56:45

I am running out of my stock of liquid Plus Gas. Searching seems to reveal that it is no longer available, only aerosols seem to exist! Anyone know if and where the liquid variety can be found?

I am not a fan of aerosols as it seems to be an uneconomic way of using the stuff!

Andrew.

Thread: Finding things
25/03/2022 14:30:44

After 60 years, I had a mega sort out and found 8 ball joint splitters of various types. Each one purchased when I couldn't find one, when needed,

Andrew.

Thread: Is this 3 phase motor suitable for delta/VFD?
25/03/2022 09:41:50

Have rewired a similar Brookes motor and found the star point where Clive said. Nothing to stop you running the motor as is with 240 volt 3 phase but power will be reduced. I have done this on a suds pump motor where the star point was well and truly buried.

Andrew.

Thread: Bevel Gear Replacement for Astra L2/L4 Mill - any ideas?
24/03/2022 14:22:09

I did a similar repair using a matched pair of gears from a large, ancient , burnt out angle grinder. The gear ratio wasn't quite the same as the original, but who cares. It cost nothing.

Andrew.

23/03/2022 14:51:11

Double post !

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 23/03/2022 16:06:04

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
21/03/2022 10:19:39

This is not intended to be unkind, but it seems you know very little about lathework. Most of the kit you have listed is very useful stuff. I would suggest you defer selling anything, until you have learned to use the lathe and have some experience under your belt.

At that stage you will be able to value the items from your newly gained experience, as being useful / non useful. You can then dispose of the stuff that you know you are not going to use. You are lucky to have a fully kitted out lathe to begin with. My first Myford came with nothing but the essentials and it cost me a small fortune to equip it. If you sell the "so called surplus kit" now. You will probably regret it in the future.

Andrew.

Thread: Rolling a 5" gauge copper boiler barrel
20/03/2022 11:54:43

You don't need rolls. I simply make a former and bend the sheet around it. You will need to keep annealing the sheet between bends as it will work harden. Fully annealed copper is surprisingly soft and bendable.

Andrew.

Thread: For those who live in the country
20/03/2022 11:50:13

Dave,

I am always careful in what I ask for. If you think that oil is a cheap way of heating a house, then your googling has been none too careful. I have heated my house with oil for the last 45 years and I can assure you that there have been long periods where it was the most expensive form of heating.

The current price of heating oil is shooting up and is now 80% more that I paid for my last tank filling. That will probably be double by the end of the week at the current rate of increase. I fully expect to be paying £1.80 a litre when next I need to fill up my tank.

I am not expecting any government subsidy, I merely wish to be treated in the same way as gas and electricity buyers. The government should have more important things to spend its money on than supporting people who can afford to pay more. For instance those people who CANNOT afford the increase in heating bills Signing the petition might just make the government stop and think what they are doing. But electoral popularity is about the only thing that they care about.

Andrew.

Thread: Simple grinding rest.
20/03/2022 09:58:40

I second Mike's comments. I never did get the hang of accurately adjusting the jig. However I tohught it was just my ham fisted methods. But it looks as though others may have had the same problem.

Andrew.

20/03/2022 09:58:39

I second Mike's comments. I never did get the hang of accurately adjusting the jig. However I tohught it was just my ham fisted methods. But it looks as though others may have had the same problem.

Andrew.

19/03/2022 11:33:26

Kwil,

Not the same analogy. You would not want to see a white bread subsidy and brown bread at market prices Same for heating fuels!

Of course one has to pay market prices in the end. I just find it ridiculous that gas and electricity should be treated differently to heating oil.

Andrew.

19/03/2022 09:41:14

Not sure why you mention bread. All the petition is asking is that all three heating fuels should be treated in a similar manner. I don't really care if that means everyone should pay market price.

Andrew.

Thread: Cast Iron?
18/03/2022 20:39:57

You are correct Phil, there is a great difference between the properties of cast iron and cast steel.

Interestingly enough, I had some cast steel cylinders made for a full size Norwegian railway locomotive. I went to the works and was very surprised at the high tech systems. Nothing remotely like a cast iron foundry!

This must have been 25 years ago, I still have not worked out why the cylinders were cast steel. Every loco I have worked on appears to have had cast iron cylinders! One of life's little mysteries, unless anyone on the forum has an explanation.

Andrew

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
17/03/2022 19:59:57

Night classes are a dying breed. Our local collage got rid of its engineering classes years ago. The space is now a trainee hair salon.

I don't see the problem in teaching yourself workshop practice. plenty of books on the subject. I suspect that maybe the majority of forum members are indeed self taught.

Andrew.

Thread: Machinist level
17/03/2022 18:04:57

I have replaced a vial in a M&W engineers level and have used it a few times in anger, not the easiest thing to use I have to admit.

Then one day I had the proverbial light bulb moment. A few years ago, I was given an artillery clinometer as a birthday present, members of my family know that I value such offbeat things! This one was a MkV from 1943 , complete with leather case. Like Clive,I realised that this could be used as a level. I find it easier to use and just as accurate as my M&W level,

Andrew.

P.S. Similar artillery clinometers don't seem to be very expensive.

16/03/2022 19:24:35

Do you have a link as I am an oil burner in the country!

Andrew.

Thread: Chuck backplate from steel weldment?
16/03/2022 11:26:25

Ketan at ARC spent some time on the phone to me, talking about cast iron versus steel for back plate use. He maintained that steel was just fine in this application and he knows the business.

Andrew.

Thread: "Angel eye" wiring colour code
10/03/2022 13:04:50

Sorry! I intended to say MR16 type low voltage led reflector lamp. The fact that they are 50 mm in diameter confused me!

Andrew.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest