By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Tinsley

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Tinsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gear cutter definitions.
28/03/2020 17:01:29

Thanks Brian,

I had not thought of that.

Andrew.

28/03/2020 16:18:47

Hello everyone,

I am sorting out some inherited gear cutters. Most of them have the DP and tooth range stamped on them some also have the Pressure angle too.

There are quite a few that have simply P stamped on them where I would expect it to be DP. Do I assume that the P is just a shortened form of DP?

A few have nothing except the manufacturer's number, which I assume are "specials"?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Thread: What are you reading?
19/03/2020 20:57:41

I am about a third of the way through Roger Penrose's "Road to Reality". Certainly a very interesting read. Should take me to the end of the 12 weeks of self isolation.

Andrew.

Thread: Capillary gaps required for silver soldering.
17/03/2020 17:42:05

I have made half a dozen loco boilers from 3.5" gauge to 7.25" gauge. Also a series of smaller boilers for stationary engines.

I have had virtually no problems with poor penetration of joints. I was idly thumbing through Tubal Cain's book on soldering and brazing, when I saw a chapter about setting up the job with the correct capillary gaps. Suddenly I had a guilty feeling, because I have never knowingly bothered about this aspect of silver soldering!

I must have been very lucky. So to correct my bad ways, how does everyone else produce the ideal gap?

Andrew.

Thread: Shaper Vice?
11/03/2020 11:50:32

Hello Nigel,

Yes I am aware of the time limit. I should have made clear that the edit function isn't there when the post is made! Sometimes it is and sometimes not. If I make a mistake I always try to edit it out, but if the edit button isn't there at moment of first posting, then one is somewhat stuck!

Andrew.

11/03/2020 10:35:11

NDIY. I did not have the opportunity to edit the post. For some strange reason, about 50% of the time, there is an edit option available after one has posted. For the other 50% of posts, it isn't there.

Perhaps you could explain this phenomena.

Andrew.

Thread: Desoldering how to?
10/03/2020 22:15:06

Thanks Dave,

Much appreciated.

Andrew.

10/03/2020 20:47:48

Having a problem sorting out which desoldering iron on Amazon is being recommended! Can anyone give me a link please?

Thanks,

Andrew.

10/03/2020 20:47:47

Having a problem sorting out which desoldering iron on Amazon is being recommended! Can anyone give me a link please?

Thanks,

Andrew.

10/03/2020 20:47:46

Thanks,

Andrew.

Thread: Shaper Vice?
10/03/2020 17:40:24

Thank you all,

I shall now look for a small vice for my shaper. Could be a long wait!

Regards,

Andrew.

10/03/2020 15:01:15

Sorry! I did type failing memory! But must have not pressed hard enough.

Andrew.

10/03/2020 14:59:53

I remember an uncle telling me that a shaper vice was different from those used on a milling machine. This was many years ago and I cannot remember what the crucial difference was. Perhaps a lower profile?

Any information would be welcome, to help my filing memory!

Regards,

Andrew.

Thread: Powder coating
02/03/2020 16:39:50

I have had quite a few items over the years, which have been powder coated. Each and every one has peeled over time. It seems that once there is a small hole in the coating, the underlying steel produces a thin layer of rust which spreads like the plague. The powder coating loses adhesion and flakes off.

Maybe I have just been unlucky, but I will stick to traditional painting in future. Even professionally coated bike frames have gone the same way.

Andrew.

Thread: Deep hole "D" bit advice needed.
24/02/2020 17:43:34

Long series drills will certainly give you a long hole, but it wont be straight. As Andrew Johnson has already said, gun drills are the only real way to produce long, straight, round holes and that set up is NOT cheap.

Andrew.

Thread: Drill sharpeners
17/02/2020 20:13:02

The best cheap drill sharpener I have used is a nasty plastic thing called a Plasplugs sharpener. Don't know if they are still available, but with a little care they can produce much better results than most people can achieve offhand. There are some people that can get very good results by offhand grinding. My late father was one such, but I have NOT inherited that particular skill!

Andrew.

Thread: Tanks for CO2 engines.
17/02/2020 20:05:50

Hello Jason,

Jiri Linka is indeed the man I was trying to remember! Thank you everyone source of tank now found. That will enable me to get the older CO2 motors back into the air!

Andrew.

17/02/2020 19:21:40

Unfortunately Ing Stefan Gasparin died couple of years ago, otherwise I would have got the tanks from him. I believe that one of the Prague based dealers / model shop may have some of his stock, but for the life of me, I cannot remember his name.

Liquid CO2 doesn't need a massive container for a few cc size. The tanks are amazingly thin aluminium and I have made the screw in lids with a filler vent and supply tube to the motor without any drama. The real problem is the aluminium tank!

Andrew.

Thread: Bulbs
17/02/2020 16:08:13

The problem of differing lamp base sizes.is all to do with the odd bayonet size that was a UK standard. I am not aware that it is used anywhere else. When we import large amounts of light fitings they are mainly intended for the major areas of the world which have Edison screw as a lighting standard.

As for only being available in packets of 2 or 3, I cannot agree. All of my local supermarkets sell lamps as singles. A couple of them have packs which are a saving over buying them as singles.

Andrew.

Thread: Tanks for CO2 engines.
15/02/2020 18:58:38

Hello John,

Not sure if I am looking for the right thing, but the stuff I am turning up has a capacity of about a liter! Ideally I would like to go down to 2 cc or less for the smaller engines.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest