By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Tinsley

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Tinsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dewhurst reversing switches
17/09/2019 16:42:11

I have several Dewhurst switches in my workshop, some on very old machinery, so they have had some considerable use. Never had a problem with them in all my years of using them.

But then I suppose they are pretty useless.

Andrew.

Thread: CRT Free!
13/09/2019 22:33:18

Hello Neil,

My method is a more refined, scientific version of your father's! It is quite difficult to get it wrong, if you attack the neck. I have seen a CRT Implode and that was like a grenade going off. Difficult to replicate on demand, so not really a party piece.

Andrew.

13/09/2019 17:58:25

My goodness! This didn't take long to get off topic!

Andrew.

13/09/2019 11:17:46

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the lead. It looks interesting enough to join myself.

Andrew.

12/09/2019 22:31:41

Hello,

Not quite model engineering, but I am having a bit of a workshop tidy up. Taking up space is a new Philips cathode ray tube dating from the 1980s (obviously colour!)

It seems a pity to scrap it and I know there are TV enthusiasts that rebuild old sets (usually valve and B&W from an earlier era) However I simply can't find any club, forum or website that deals with 1980s TVs.

If anyone knows of a suitable lead, please let me know. Otherwise the lump hammer will solve my problems!

Andrew.

P.S. After a lifetime involving high vacuum kit. I do know how to destroy a CRT safely!

P.P.S. I do have the type number somewhere!

Thread: To Pin or Not To Pin
10/09/2019 15:54:44

I wonder where the sense of humour went? Nice one Michael.

Andrew.

Thread: Just bought an ML7, what should i do first?
07/09/2019 14:31:00

Hi Shaun,

It is difficult to see what condition the lathe is in. It could be a relatively easy and cheap restoration or it could be a very expensive proposition. The lathe looks to be very neglected and as such it does ring alarm bells.

Before you start to spend money on it, try to get someone who knows their lathes to look it over. If you let people know your location, then I am sure that someone will give you a hand in assessing its condition. It is very difficult for a beginner to do this, you can get carried away if you are not careful. Just ask how I know!

Renovating a worn lathe can be a very expensive job! Especially if you have not got the skills to DIY.

Andrew.

Thread: Need help with wiring
04/09/2019 14:53:34

Well for a start, it isn't a motor. It is a 12Volt car dynamo (or possibly 24volts if it is off an old lorry). So none of your standard mains or dc controllers are likely to work.

In the distant past, I used a dynamo in place of a 12 Volt motor and although it worked, I was a bit dubious as to long term reliability.

I would recommend that you don't be a cheapskate and get a proper 12 Volt DC motor. There are plenty around, you just need to know what you are looking for.

Andrew.

Thread: Slitting saws for small mill.
29/08/2019 19:03:15

I tend to buy top quality brands, second hand on Ebay. I am lucky to have facilities so that I can sharpen them myself. Surprisingly most were excellent to reasonably sharp. Only a few have been blunt.

Recently I had to make a complex Church Door key and wanted the saws to be correct width. I never have any luck in trying to cut a larger slot than the width of the saw, using a couple of passes. So I purchased what I needed from Arc Eurotrade. The slitting saws were pretty damn good and the price was also good. I assume they come from China, but Ketan's QC always works for me and I have only ever had good stuff from Arc

The only other place I have tried was Tracy Tools, some were brand names, but heftily discounted.

Andrew.

Thread: Backplate debacle
23/08/2019 19:50:50

Martin,

I always make my back plate register undersize by around 5 thou. If you make the holding screw holes oversize, then you have a cheap Griptru chuck that you can adjust to get zero run out for any work diameter you want.

Andrew.

Thread: GMT automatic boring head
21/08/2019 16:29:55

I googled Gamet and found it was an Indian based company. I did this when I saw a bargain chuck bearing the name. So now I am confused, is it an Indian supplier or European company? Or are there two separate companies with the same name?

Andrew.

Thread: TTFN
18/08/2019 11:45:02

Hello Andrew,

It is good to see you back!

Andrew.

Thread: Myford colours
16/08/2019 14:18:03

I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I have used Paragon Paint's "Myford Grey" and I find it an exact match for the old Myford paint. That is, providing you T cut the original surface!

The paint is of excellent quality and quite reasonably priced so why look any further?

Andrew.

P.S. I matched the old and new paints using a professional Minolta colour meter and they measured the same.

Thread: Tracy Tools
13/08/2019 13:17:20

Hello Vic,

I am surprised to hear you say that Tracy Tools don't compete well on price. I have always found their prices to be excellent for the quality of the tools they sell.

If you have a cheaper source for the same quality, then I am sure many people would be interested to know.

Andrew.

Thread: Chosing a drill grinding attachment or machine
10/08/2019 21:42:14

Yes I have a Plasplugs device and I am amazed how well it works. As Clive says it is a plastic unit and quite flimsy, but it does the job of sharpening remarkable well. As long as you take care to get both edges the same length, then I can't fault it.

Andrew

Thread: FREEBIES!
09/08/2019 13:29:38

Hello Howard,

I would be interested in the items and I live reasonably locally.

I have sent a PM.

Andrew.

Thread: Adjustable 3-jaw chuck designs
05/08/2019 17:45:42

Hello Mike,

It was indeed Commander Barker! Come to think, I believe it was Professor Chaddock that recounted the story.

Andrew.

Thread: RENAULT DAUPHINE
05/08/2019 15:53:16

I had the reputation for replacing Imp doughnuts. I simply used a crowbar to slot them into place. Took about 10 minutes to change one, if the nuts were undoable.

Andrew

Thread: Adjustable 3-jaw chuck designs
05/08/2019 15:48:08

Not sure if it was G H Thomas or Tubal Cain. It was recommended that the backplate was skimmed on the diameter and the mounting bolt holes were enlarged, giving adjustability.

I believe that in one of the three volumes by "Duplex", a similar set up was recommended plus three grub screws to adjust the centre. I will try to find the "Duplex" drawing if possible.

The Hemmingway kit is maybe the best bet. I made one and I find it is easier to adjust than a Burnerd Griptru.

Andrew.

Thread: Edison thread tap
01/08/2019 19:36:03

Quite a few ES holders are actually made from insulating material. There is a leaf spring that contacts the centre pin and a slot in the side of the insulating female portion of the thread. Through which a second leaf spring contacts the side of the ES cap. The mains is simply connected to the two leaf springs.

Andrew.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest