By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 4 facet drill grinding
14/04/2022 10:10:44

Has any body tried to replicate the Clarkson or Brierley set ups ? Anybody wishing to try, I can help with sketches and dimensions. Noel.

Thread: Wiring and connectors
12/04/2022 09:35:15

Multi strand wire and fluids are never happy bed fellows ! Ask any one who had a Landrover TD5 engine ! engine oil would cappiliary from the engine to the computer under the seat along about 8' of wire. Noel.

Thread: O rings
10/04/2022 09:19:15

Hi KIWI, For harder rings ask for shore 90, the nornal O ring is shore 70. It might be worth trying a metric ring of slightly larger dimension eg 3.5 mm section X 50mmID. For what they cost it's worth a try. Noel.

Thread: Rising costs of materials
09/04/2022 18:22:24

Consider a second morgage before buying any copper based metals, eg brass, bronze Etc. Noel.

Thread: Hello from Cornwall
07/04/2022 19:23:25

Hi Tim , Welcome, we are a happy band so any questions on almost anything will be answered, The impossible we can solve whilst you wait, miracles may take slightly longer ! Best wishes Noel.

Thread: MEW, ME, RCM&E and Model Boats under new ownership.
06/04/2022 17:14:56

Two magazines but only one pocket, and one that is getting shallower by the day. I could not afford both and after issue 300 I let my subscription lapse in December ! With times getting hard, how many more will give up ? Noel

Thread: Polishing Brass
06/04/2022 16:31:25

AS Bezzer, but a few warnings ! BE VERY careful not to let the metal dig in to the mop, always work towards an edge not away from it and keep the work CONSTANTLY on the move, or grooves will be cut at any edges if you dwell. IT is a VERY dirty job ! For materials Etc, try the polishing shop. Good Luck, Noel.

Thread: Connection to compressor
06/04/2022 16:08:36

As has been said We need more info ! Does the compressor have a reducing valve ( down to below 15psi). Standard 1/4" PCL connectors will allow different lines to be used eg, blow up tyres. For small bore airline and fittings the names to look for are NORGREN or FESTO. They will do all the fittings you need. Noel

Thread: End Mills
04/04/2022 20:42:27

ARC euro or tracy tools, reasonable quality and excellent delivery, ask any one on here ! Noel.

Thread: Myford Super 7 QC gearbox Mk1 problem
04/04/2022 16:35:34

14.5 is the pressure angle - I think ! Not all myford gears are 20dp, the back gear is 16dp. Noel.

Thread: What size are my nipples
04/04/2022 09:35:17

I have a large range though no 0 BA. Ihave sent you a PM. Noel

Thread: Tracy Tools Delivery
03/04/2022 20:25:48

Here, here always first class service from Tracy Tools. Noel

Thread: What size are my nipples
03/04/2022 18:07:59

0BA, 1/4" BSF, 1/4" UNF, 6mmX1 all posible. How many do you need, Straight,45* and 90*. Noel.'

Thread: Yet another AT1 VFD question!
02/04/2022 21:43:28

Yep ! My thoughts, is the stop button NC or NO, then there's the issue of latching ! Noel

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
02/04/2022 20:14:35

Check continuity on the 2 wires to the centrifugal switch OK ? check also red to black - note the reading ! Then white to white again note reading. 1 to 3 is a dead short and something is not right with 4,5,6. All the right wires are there but the orderis odd. Check from the red wire to find the other end, that will be the start windings ! there should be continuity between the other 2. That will give you the 4 wires you need. The insulation needs sleeving it is in poor condition. Till next time. Noel.

Thread: new member
01/04/2022 09:25:00

Welcome to the party Sam, if you have questions then someone on here will have an answer for you. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Why aren't carbide chop saws used?
31/03/2022 09:59:20

For small work a 1.5 X 115 abrasive cutting disc in a angle grinder ! low cost, very small footprint, using the sheet of paper trick cuts square, quick, used outside the fresh air will do you good. will cut almost any metal. I know it's not what the OP asked about but this option is worthy of consideration ! It does make a hacksaw look VERY old fashioned. Noel.

Thread: Myford Lever Action Tailstock Design and Build
31/03/2022 09:46:55

Hey Hopper ! I think you may find using 12mm or 1/2" as your lever may be toooo thin ! The original was 9/16" and seemed ok but 12mm, no ! Your work looks very good. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
30/03/2022 22:42:21

The way the wires have deteriorated would indicate the motor is oldish may be 60s, but still a good motor. I would expect 4 wires yet I can only see 3, I think ? he cap wires and the motor wires need to be sleeved to maintain insulation. Your diagram only shows 3 motor wires ? If you undo the small roundhead screws are there connections on the rear of 2 and 6 ? One wire will go to the cap from the cap to the centrifugal switch and then on to the start winding, the other end of the start winding will be a terminal. The run windings will be the straight to terminals. this gives you 4 terminals that should be taken to the reverser. In a effort to check the whole motor it would be a good idea to remove the 4 through bolts and strip. You can check the cent switch and it will be much easier to sleeve the wires and check which 2 are run and which are start based on the above. I will send a PM. Noel

30/03/2022 16:31:19

Check the coil voltage on the contactor coil, should be 220V and also the trip current which will be in the region of 1.5 - 4Amps. The MEM DOL starter is easy to wire, check out ME 4643 mid july 2020. Your wish for a BIG RED panic button is easy as you wire it into the DOL stop circuit in series with the stop button on the DOL as a normally closed switch. You then take Live and neutral to the drum reverser. Now we need the letters or numbers on the motor terminal plate to assertain the various connections. there were numerous letters and numbers used by various maker. what do you have ? wire colours coming from inside the motor may be helpful. Over to you ! Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest