By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cannot let this pass without comment
25/12/2020 12:39:07

The atomic kettle was a novel idea ! Does it boil on demand, or constantly and be plumbed into the water system ? How many decades do the fuel rods last ? Noel.

Thread: Interesting wheel construction
25/12/2020 12:11:38

UM ! An interesting construction, welded ? Rather a lot of spokes ! Traction engine, what type ? Noel.

Thread: Mery Christmas Everybody
24/12/2020 23:53:21

Dear Neil, thankyou, ME and the other one have helped to keep me sane !

To one and all I wish a Happy Christmas and a better New Year.

God bless. Noel.

Thread: Calor gas butane workshop radiant heater
23/12/2020 19:21:56

I would check the pilot jet ! It sounds as if it is partly blocked causing the jet of gas to deform, not then picking up the right amount of air. If the jet can be removed cleaning will be easy, if not an air line and blow back. Be careful of using wires or prickers that will enlarge the jet. If the burner panels work OK when lit The regulator should be working. A local firm used to take these in for service. Out the back door down the road to the garage and use their airline. Job done !

The thermocouple and it's magnetic interlock is an interesting device ! it produce quite a high magnetic field in the coil. Good luck Noel

PS I don't fall for the oxygen sensor story !!!!

Thread: Hi!
23/12/2020 18:33:23

Welcome to the house of fun ! Noel.

Thread: Helping hand wanted
23/12/2020 15:07:10

Where do you live, an area will do at this stage ! Noel

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
23/12/2020 14:13:53

One evening I was viewing at a local auction centre, best known for house clearence, where the boxes of books were under the tables of goods ! I spotted a book with a pair of RAF type wings on it and the name GNOME. For £3 I bought the box, I had the workshop manual for the WW1 Gnome rotary Monosoupape Howard has mentioned. One statement was that the crankcase was filled with a non inflamable mixture, - but it's an internal combustion engine ? Petrol was poured into the hollow crankshaft which was also the air intake ! At this point the mixture was so rich it could not burn - only after the exhaust valve had stayed open long after TDC and partially filled the cylinder with fresh air that then mixed with the over rich mixture would it burn/ fire. The gyroscopic effect of the rotating cylinders did nothing for the handling or aerobatic characteristics of the aircraft. Another book in the box was, put simply, there's the aircraft, read the book, and then go fly ! Noel

Thread: new ML7 headstock bearings
23/12/2020 13:16:45

Firstly thanks to all who have offered advice or comment !

The story so far ! The bearings are a solid cast type, NO steel backing or bronze insert. The white metal originally used was a cheap BS type Sn,Sb,Pb,Cu alloy that is still made. The suppliers normal min order is 20Kg but stock is only 7.5Kg so they have sold this to me at the 20Kg rate - A very good start ! The bearings are a push fit in the headstock since white metal will not tin to cast iron. Before I go to Ebay, does any one have a redundant ML7 headstock casting and a worn out set of bearings I can buy ? If the mandrel was also available this would give me dimensions and a better idea as to final fit Etc ?

One member asked where I'm based, near Hunstanton, North Norfolk.

To All of you, make the best of Christmas, and God bless. Noel

Thread: Question about knurling wheels
23/12/2020 12:32:30

I bought a box of coventry die heads and amongst the goodies was an Austrian Miller Quick STR 2a knurling head. It is like a 3jaw scroll chuck with 3 wheels and will cover diameters 3mm to 25mm. It is made like a watch, a beautifully made job, with wheel pitches from .4mm to 1.2mm. It works on the cut knurl process I believe. It makes my home made 2 wheel job look very old fashioned.

I'm not brave enough to try and find out what new wheels might cost. ! Noel.

Thread: Marshall Portable Engine Wheel Hubs
22/12/2020 00:17:36

It would be possible to cast them though at that scale foundry lettering may not be available. What is the od of the rim, or height of lettering you would need ? Noel.

Thread: Rewiring Li ion battery
21/12/2020 14:17:05

BE VERY CAREFUL ! These cells whilst holding a lot of power need careful charging, each cell in a pack will be checked and charged individually and the temperature monitored - it is not simply a case of putting the power back in. 20v is not a multiple of 3.7v the lion cell voltage ? 18.5v or 22.2v make more sense. Noel

Thread: Cutting copper tube square
21/12/2020 11:14:14

A length of shim steel or brass works very well held in place with a jubilee clip on round tube. Using the paper trick also works on box section as well. Noel

Thread: Milton Keynes Metals?
20/12/2020 20:03:37

I should have added and available from most garages or motor factors ! There is no need for fancy synthetic oils in this aplication at twice the price. N

20/12/2020 19:59:45

slideway oil iso 10 ? For the likes of myford Etc it is SAE 10/ iso 32 ! 2 systems but the same oil ! A light mineral engine oil or hydraulic oil - about £10 per 5l. Noel

Thread: Size question
20/12/2020 19:49:59

An interesting point in this vein is that our Standard Gauge was originally 4' 8" but was found to be too tight and hence the extra 1/2" ! This was also true for The GW Broad gauge which was in fact 7'1/4" for the same reason !

Noel.

20/12/2020 19:39:28

Gentlemen, Firstly to all who have commented - thank you ! The alloy is Glacier T1. As to the customer finishing/ scrapeing the bearings this would be an option and cheaper ! Fully finished bearings would be the norm, possibly a few thou undersize to allow for wear on the mandrel and be allowed for with extra shims, or finished to the customers mandrel dimensions.Having the mandrel surface ground to an undersize is also a thought. It is to you that I have come to seek advice before I even start to experiment with this project. If as some think, it has some merit then I will see how I get on, and let you know.

Make the best of Christmas and keep safe. Noel.

Thread: Welding Fumes
20/12/2020 19:14:22

I'm pleased you have lived to warn the rest of us ! Whilst the fumes from the burning flux/coating are not good for you the biggest hazard is from metal fumes or any coatings which ARE HIGHLY TOXIC ! If working inside then a fan facing away from the work and towards an open door will help remove the fumes or work outside. A friend of mines son has just spent £420 on an air fed helmet to try and avoid this problem.

Make the best of Christmas, Noel.

Thread: Stent Tool Grinder
20/12/2020 17:29:52

Gentlemen,Prices for the castings have been mentioned and on that basis if you want to sharpen tools then on grounds of cost a clarkson MK1 or 2 is the way to go. I bought 3 in under a year and paid no more than £400 each. All had the essential tools,lights guards Etc. One was a very late MK1 and almost new. Another had a new 1ph motor with a huge assortment of holders, bushes Etc. If they are 3ph it is easy to change the motor or use a converter. They are easy to break down into 3 lumps for transport and will fit in a car or estate though the MK2 base is very heavy. All threads are imperial and you will need a 3/8" allen key.

Best wishes, Noel

20/12/2020 12:43:14

Gentlemen, There are 100s of ML7s being used but no new original headstock bearings, only an expensive conversion kit. WHY is nobody making them ? Is it that there is no market or is there some hidden pit fall ? I am considering setting up to cast these white metal bearings in sets with new shims. An alternative might be to remetal as with old type big ends. The plan as it stands would be to use a redundant headstock and machine up an undersize mandrel to enable the oil ways to be cast in. This would be reamed under size allowing the owner to either scrape to size or allow bedding in and subsequent removal of shims as needed. BEFORE I waste alot of time on this idea I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Noel.

Thread: Gland packing
27/09/2020 19:53:05

Do not cut the end square, but at 45* ! Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate