By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford super 7 lathe tripping consumer rcd
03/01/2021 13:27:01

Nobody has commented on the need for a centrifugal switch on a capacitor start motor which is what the 2 brown wires are. Not a thermal switch ! 4 wires on the windings are red / black, the run windings and blue/ yellow the start windings. Wire yellow through the capacitor then through the Centrifugal switch then out to terminal 2 on Dewhurst reversing switch. Blue out to Terminal 6 on dewhurst. Black to Term 5, red to term 7. Live to term 1 on dewhurst, blue to term 2 and neutral to terminal 3. Terminals 4 and 8 are not used. If the notation on the dewhurst reversing switch is wrong swap over the wires on terminals 2 and 6. RCDs trip due to an imbalance in incomings and outgoings, an MCB will trip due to current above its rated value. A spit phase starting motor can draw 1200% above rated run current. That's where a DOL may save a motor, as it will take the starting current for a few seconds before a sustained high current will cause it to drop out. Noel.

Thread: Super 7 Lathe Clutch, Countershaft or Pulley Wobble
02/01/2021 14:25:15

There would seem to be at least 2 problems here, poor finish and pulley wobble. In re setting the headstock, what is often not explained clearly is the need for the correct preload on the rear bearings before setting up the front bearing. Ian Bradleys book on the S7 doesn't mention it and the 70s myford instruction book is far from clear. Only after Myford kindly sent me a copy of the proceedure did the pennies drop. The various you tube videos show it though don't impress on the viewer how critical this is. For the poor finish I would check the bearings first then the saddle and cross slide clearances. Then worry about the pulley wobble. Noel.

Thread: Myford super 7 lathe tripping consumer rcd
02/01/2021 13:45:30

If you take ME, No 4643 smoke signals may help. At this time of year dampness can cause trouble. RCDs can become weak. But a good plan is to have the shed or workshop circuits wired round the house RCD then have a dedicated RCD in the shed with it's own good earth, it will save domestic strife when all mains clocks Etc need resetting. Good luck Noel.

Thread: PAT - Portable Appliance Test
02/01/2021 13:32:02

SPOT ON Phil ! Noel

Thread: need a bullgear for myford ml4 lathe
01/01/2021 23:26:59

or vintage - lathes. com

Thread: Improved performance over standard V belts?
01/01/2021 17:57:44

Any power transmission/ bearing supplier worth their name will help you ! Noel

01/01/2021 17:49:41

Speedy, why was the pat test done ? It seemed like a good idea or legal requirement? As others have said Yes an improperly carried out test would blow the board. Sheilded pin plug correct fuse, sound lead, earth bond. No flash test. I would be thinking of claiming against the testing person or firm. It sounds as though a flash or insulation test was done. Noel

Thread: Super 7 Lathe Clutch, Countershaft or Pulley Wobble
01/01/2021 17:36:16

Seen link ! Late clutch. Fit a new belt on headstock A29.5" or A780 and carefully re set the headstock bearings. Don't worry about the primary wobble yet.

01/01/2021 17:29:14

Which clutch type do you have ? the early shoe type or later cone clutch in the primary belt drive cover .

Thread: Gloves and machine tools - my stupidity.
01/01/2021 14:38:20

I will question my intelligence - before the rest of you do ! As a 12 year old using a home made petrol engined drill, I KNEW the blue and very sloppy jumper I was wearing would catch the drill bit sooner or later AND CARRIED ON ! The only thing that saved me was the fact the drill bit was new and sharp, the spiral flutes being sharp cut my jumper as I escaped. My only other hope would have been the bit broke.

That was almost 60 years ago, thankfully I learnt by my mistake and early. It enabled me to survive in engineering up until now ! Noel.

Thread: home made forge
01/01/2021 14:22:51

An excellent source of nozzles is Mig welder contact tips. For oil firing an old central heating oil burner can provide almost all you need. Propane is clean, easy and viable cost wise as a fuel for all but cast iron. As for the air pressure it will be under 5 PSI. Noel.

31/12/2020 17:29:27

One case I saw was a guy with no electrical knowledge sent on PAT test coarse multiple choice questions and a "helpful tutor" and passed. He wrecked no end of gear and appliances. For example earth bond test, current used 25A on .75mm wire, needless to say they all failed test. As a rule never test anything with electronic circuits for earth leakage at high voltage. Noel.

Thread: Improved performance over standard V belts?
31/12/2020 17:06:49

There is little to recomend link belt other than it can be easy to fit ! They tend to strech more than a normal V belt are noisy and can introduce vibration. Noel.

Thread: How to apply grease to old machine
31/12/2020 13:54:06

Babbitt is still used in many BIG bearings. Wood bearings are still used ! On combine harversters The straw walker shaft bearings on the straw walker are oil soaked beech blocks. Two halfs, with paper shims to take up wear. Noel

Thread: Earth Leakage on a 3 phase Motor
31/12/2020 13:45:43

With resistance readings like that I would keep the motor and try to run it on true 3 phase. It might be worth putting the VFD on a scope when under load and see what you get. It could be that the motor was too small to suit the VFD.. At this time of year dampness can be the cause of much trouble. Noel.

Thread: TIG is harder than it looks
31/12/2020 13:35:11

Spot on Joe, there is much wisdom in this post.

What is often not known is that aluminium when cut, ground or machined ALMOST INSTANTLY forms an insoluable oxide in air, it is this oxide film that makes aluminium much use at all, as chemically it is a very reactive metal. So if it is not cleaned IMMEDIATLEY before welding trouble can be expected.

Since the consequences can be catastrophic I will repeat the following !!! NEVER grind aluminium AND iron on the same machine without cleaning all dust out of the guard BEFORE and AFTER use. You will create a chemical fire at some 3000*C commercially known as the THERMIT process. ME carried a report on an accident of this sort many years ago, but with many newcomers to the hobby and this not being an obvious hazard I feel it should be raised regularly. Keep safe Noel

SORRY FOLKS ! THINGS RUNNING SLOW THOUGHT IT HAD NOT BEEN SENT.

Edited By noel shelley on 31/12/2020 13:37:04

31/12/2020 13:33:45

Spot on Joe, there is much wisdom in this post.

What is often not known is that aluminium when cut, ground or machined ALMOST INSTANTLY forms an insoluable oxide in air, it is this oxide film that makes aluminium much use at all, as chemically it is a very reactive metal. So if it is not cleaned IMMEDIATLEY before welding trouble can be expected.

Since the consequences can be catastrophic I will repeat the following !!! NEVER grind aluminium AND iron on the same machine without cleaning all dust out of the guard BEFORE and AFTER use. You will create a chemical fire at some 3000*C commercially known as the THERMIT process. ME carried a report on an accident of this sort many years ago, but with many newcomers to the hobby and this not being an obvious hazard I feel it should be raised regularly. Keep safe Noel

Thread: Clarkson Radius Grinding Fixture
31/12/2020 00:05:16

Ian, Your right about the box ! The only good thing is I can make a box for my drill grinder attachment which is complete that will hold it assembled . The real problem is that if you have many attachments they will usually share parts . As to the RGA there were several kits. Mk2, 97111 was the basic set Imp 97113 same but metric. This was the basic set up, the tooth rests you made to suit your job and the bushes came from the machine set. and it had a 1"dia centre for setting up. The delux set was 97112 or 97114 Imp or metric. This had a raising block about 2" thick to raise the tool holder so that side and face cutters could be done and a S&F regrind mandrel which was 91120 Imp or 91121 metric. The raising block replicated the top of the swan neck and the underside of the tool holder - just 2" thick and a single central hole.

Most drawings or pictures show the wheel mounted on a spindle extension, needless to say this is not in the kit it's an extra that should come with Mk 2 grinders but NOT the Mk1 it's Pt No92614

I'm not very good as a draftsman but dimensioned sketches could be done of most of the parts used on these machines if required, I have most of them. Goodnight and God bless, Noel.

30/12/2020 21:20:54

Having got my RGA out and studied all that has been said, here Baz is right ! I could not understand the Bore in the alli housing being 1.5" when most clarkson gear revolves around 1.25" or less. BUT with the 1.5" to 1.25" sleeve threaded and grubscrewed to the alli body it is the feed screw, and the pivot point remains centre. The way I see it there is a 1.5"od sleeve about 3" long with an internal thread may be 20 tpi X 1.375" for 1/2" and a Knurled ring od 2" X 1" long stepped down and threaded 20tpi X1.375". This ring will have a 3/8"whit grubscrew in the center of the knurling . Then there's the Alli holder Bored 1.5".

The delux version could have a graduated ring at 50 thou per full turn.

Like most clarkson manuals the instructions are at best brief and very little in the way of clues as to what is IF you have parts missing as is so often the case.

WELL, at least I think I know what I'm doing NOW ! IF any one needs a copy of the drivers hand book for the Mk 2 RGA let me know ! Noel.

Thread: Next issue late?
30/12/2020 20:29:19

As a loyal subject , Yes I got 4654 before Christmas, But have not seen MEW 300 yet, is it out or been delayed ?

Many thanks Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate