By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Boring bar size ?
12/01/2021 17:27:09

Hi Jeff, Once you have what you think you need I would practice the job on several scrap carbs first and make sure you DO have all you need. Work holding and setting up to be true to the original axis will be important. Boring bar in the tool post or bar between centres and use the cross slide ? Mazak is the most likely material. Good luck Noel.

Thread: Backyard Iron Casting
11/01/2021 17:39:23

Well done ! That flywheel looks really good. If you want some info on doing brass PM me. Noel.

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
11/01/2021 15:06:15

MAY be but what will it cost to sack current staff member ?

Thread: Key Cutting
11/01/2021 12:46:56

I'm going to plum for this lock being a pin type lock as others have said. If the key has a 5 digit code then that code will enable a key to be got or made. Any good locksmith will be able to help or you could have a go yourself. Each step has a flat at the bottom that the pin will sit in and this is the dimension that matters - measured from the back of the key. A key I have for a garage door has the following dimensions that may help.

The uncut key has a height of 8.4 and a code of 35385 Height 3 = 7.85, 5 = 6.85 & 8 = 5.5 This key is also almost new and original, a new cut key will not have this code. As keys wear it is usually the crests that get worn, not the bottom that matters, especially if you carry them on a bunch in your pocket.

An interesting book on this subject is, The complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing, by Roper and Phillips. ISBN 0-8306-3522-X.

Good luck

Thread: 3D printing for investment casting article MEW 300
09/01/2021 19:42:17

Buffer, Not so much metal on water, as HANDGRENADE !

Jason, see above ! Lead or Die casting alloy is bad enough, brass or bronze - start running NOW !

A paster of paris type mold will absorb molten PLA which must be vapourised and driven off before ANY attempt is made to pour metal in ! The PLA Must first be melted out then BURNT out !

I have often been asked to cast from 3D printed patterns ! Only with a lot of remedial work are they normally any good. The problem is that unless the patterrn is PERFECTLY smooth will it release from the mold. The tiny ridges/layers will hold the sand and leave a poor surface or the mold will break up leaving ragged edges.

The idea seems on the face of it to be a pattern makers dream but at the level of hobby machines the finish is not good enough ! Sorry chaps ! Noel

09/01/2021 14:29:35

Hi Buffer, The molten metal, at a suitable pouring temp will pour like water, though less fluid. The PLA MUST be burnt out after the mold has been made. Look up" lost wax casting " This is a similar process though the the pattern making is different. An interesting process is that known as "polystyrene molding". Hope this helps, Noel.

09/01/2021 13:01:40

Very interesting idea Neil. To assist in the reduction of loss of zinc when melting brass, crushed charcoal (pea sized) works well. It also reduces the likelyhood of oxygen being absorbed, copper has an affinity for this element, this also applies to bronze. Any dross or the remains of the charcoal is skimmed off with a metal disc welded to a handle immediatly before pouring. Old plumbing fittings are ideal for melting. Preheat any metal before placing in the crucible to be ABSOLUTELY sure there is no moisture trapped in it ! For vastly improved success rates a dip pyrometer and display need to be used. These are available reasonably cheaply in the usual places. The probe is a K type inconel sheathed of .5m long, RS or other. For small or thin section items a temp of 1030*c and NEVER above 1050*c for brass and not more than 1150*c for bronze. For thick solid lumps 1000*c to 1020*c.brass, 1100*c bronze. Brass will start to melt at 900*c. Zinc boils at 927*c

Where the mold is nonporous, proper and complete burning out of the the pattern material is VITAL ! A failure to observe this point may well ruin both the mold and your day ! Noel.

Thread: Another car
09/01/2021 11:33:52

Gentlemen, Thank you for these tales, I have been involved in I/C engines all my life, most recently 15 L V8s. One engine was destroyed COMPLETELY by a broken valve spring. That something was wrong was indicated by 2 valve heads in the exhaust manifold ! Noel.

Thread: home made forge
08/01/2021 18:09:11

Microwave or induction ? One may run as high as 5Kv the other about 50v !

Thread: New, old Myford Super 7 essentials
07/01/2021 17:37:15

Welcome Giovanni, Is english your first language ? I will look at some tables and see if I can help you. I understand you have a super 7 with A) change wheels or B) a norton(quick change ) gear box ? Where do you live ? Good luck Noel

Thread: Stuart No 10 drawing help
07/01/2021 13:54:13

somewhere in the library I have a copy of a booklet on building that engine bought in the early 90s, possibibly a reprint of the one you have.I will try and find it. It will have come from either Tee publishing or Camden model steam services. Noel

Thread: A finished project - at last!
07/01/2021 12:52:59

TUG, Asolutely spectacular, a work of art and skill. For those who want to see many industrial engines in steam Forncett industrial steam museum, near Norwich is the place to go. Once a month during the season all the engines are in steam, including a corliss valved engine and the massive triple expansion Dover engine. There is even a quad expansion engine there ! Well worth a visit - when we are allowed to ! ! Noel.

Thread: MEW 300 IS HERE !
07/01/2021 12:21:22

For those who may ask, my copy of MEW 300 arrived this morning ! Noel

Thread: DIY Anodising
07/01/2021 12:07:52

Ramon, raised a very good point about the breakdown of conductivity caused by aluminium wire also anodising and becoming non conductive. Noel.

Thread: Another Telephone / Computer scam?
07/01/2021 11:48:02

One trick I found that seems to work is, first make sure there is no background noise, then pick up the receiver and stay silent ! If its a real person they will speak, otherwise they or the computer will hang up. That number does seem familiar. Noel

Thread: casting brass
06/01/2021 22:41:47

Done it 100s of times. There are many tricks to doing it but it is not a black art. PM me. Noel

To expand a little, most burning metals are exothermic. To prevent the Zinc vapour from burning and further increasing the temperature you must keep the oxygen away, this is done cheaply by a layer of crushed charcoal over the melt.Temperature control is vital.  In the small scale foundry and the big some zinc will be lost but under careful control it will not be enough to matter. Zinc fumes are toxic !

Edited By noel shelley on 06/01/2021 23:00:29

Thread: 1/20th Scale Traction Engine
06/01/2021 22:36:50

Nice work Nigel ! Bassette Lowke did a set of drawings in1.5 scale in the late 40s, I have a set. If they would help PM me. They are very detailed. Noel

Thread: DIY Anodising
06/01/2021 22:18:37

Thank you, very good ! I'm surprised that the current is so low. Noel

Thread: Clubs and societies - talks and presentations
05/01/2021 22:48:54

I have given many talks on foundry work in the context of the model maker probably to over 40 clubs in the last few years. From Leed in the north to Taunton in the west and all over the south. I'm still here, but unfortunatly so is the pox. I think I would need some training before I could do it on something like ZOOM. Casting is easy but I'm not very clever with computers ! Noel.

Thread: straight shank adapter for MT2/MT3 drill bits
05/01/2021 22:33:14

BIG handheld drills are affectionatly known as gut busters, but it's not your gut that gets broken it is more likely to be your wrists or fingers. Much above 1/2"dia be very careful. For larger sizes if not needing deep holes a slowspeed drill and hole saws can work. and much safer. Good Luck Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate