By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hello all.
19/03/2022 17:29:45

Welcome to the party Stewart, yes there are many bike people on here, me included. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: What is this
19/03/2022 15:52:48

The little cast plate could be ali bronze ? Noel.

Thread: Thread-cutting oil
19/03/2022 15:44:48

ROCOL RTD Expensive but the bottle allows you addminister just a small drop where you want it so NO waste, a bottle will last years unless your screwing all the time ! Noel.

Thread: Cast Iron?
18/03/2022 18:20:31

Well said Phil ! Though your last sentence is a sweeping generalisation that should and likely will be challenged ! Noel.

Thread: Hello from Germany
18/03/2022 18:09:09

Welcome to the party Nick , there are many here who will be able help with build. Good Luck. Noel.

Thread: Hi from Essex
18/03/2022 18:05:19

Welcome to the party Michael, North Norfolk coastal area. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: What is the Box on top of motor
18/03/2022 17:53:33

Starting a motor by pulling it over is a HIGHLY dangerous practice, have an ambulance waiting before you do it ! Unless you can get it to about 75% of it's running speed it will NOT run normally and may well be damaged ! The capacitor may well be 400V and will do no harm. The motor is 250v, but see if you can read the voltage on the capacitor. It can be wired either way round but MUST be on the right terminals in the motor. It is a 4 pole motor. Good luck, Noel.

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
18/03/2022 10:37:24

FOLLOW UP ! The tool stockist mentioned at the beginning of the thread is giving me the drill bit that started this, which I will photo and put on here so you can all see what I was on about ! Noel

Thread: Hello from Lincoln
16/03/2022 22:48:02

Welcome to the party Nick. Noel.

Thread: Newton Tesla Motor units
16/03/2022 22:46:25

A cheap revcounter is easy to fit, using a Hall effect device. Noel.

Thread: Myford Lever Action Tailstock Design and Build
16/03/2022 17:10:32

Hi Hopper The angle you suspected was there is 12* to the rear (away from the headstock). Hope this helps. I have sent a PM. Dave, the plain tailstock spindle is the new S7 type.  One thing that is seldom mentioned is the use of ROTABROACHES to make large holes, they go from 11mm to at least 50mm. Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 16/03/2022 17:13:19

16/03/2022 09:44:31

Hi Hopper, Pivot pin holes are 1.625" apart. The pinch bolt is 1/4BSF. YES there is a small angle between the pivot bolts and the handle, I will measure when I get home protractor is at work !

Dave, Yes this is a genuine myford part. The made 2, I have the other one ! Myford did in fact use third parties to build a lot of their parts. If the one you have is as the picture then there should be a 1/4"BSF clamp bolt to lock the handle.

The one I have is new, bought with the longer S7 tailstock barrel missing, one day I will get round to making one !!!!!

Best wishes all, Noel.

15/03/2022 20:21:44

Simon, Bill Et al, The thread started with a conversation between me and a member, as he was having trouble drilling some holes. The following day I was in a local tool stockists and mentioned said conversation to be shown a good quality drill bit that had been COMPLETELY wrongly ground - it had NO cutting edge at all. After grinding it had been coated, TiN. MY question was had anybody else come across new, wrongly or poorly ground drill bits ? Noel.

Thread: Myford Lever Action Tailstock Design and Build
15/03/2022 17:32:09

Hi Hopper, The lever is 9/16 dia 12"long + 1/2" for thread, can't unscew Knob that is 1.25" dia. The link is 3"long, 3/4" wide and 1/4" thick 2 holes 2.25" apart, 7/16 dia. Pivot bolt 1.385" long over all, head .6"AF, .2" Deep,pin 7/16"dia .715" long and thread 5/16" BSF.470" long., 2 OFF The 3rd pivot bolt is like the others but the pin is .7" long and thread slightly shorter.at .375" The depth stop is 3" long, 5/16" dia with a .040" deep flat milled on. pinch bolt is 1/4"BSF x .5 long. These dimentions are from a unit for a Super 7. Just looked at you last pic My unit has no thread in, the lug on the bit that goes on the tailstock is drilled 5/16" with a pinch bolt and flatted rod.  If you need more then get back to me. Best wishes Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 15/03/2022 17:46:15

Thread: Drilling 38 x 1.5mm 316 polished stainless tube.
15/03/2022 10:24:27

USE A SPLIT POINT OR 4 FACET DRILL - IT SHOULD SELF CENTRE ! Noel.

15/03/2022 10:20:14

One day I will hold open house and you can all come and play with the brierley drill grinder, you can have 2 facet, 4 facet, or no facet at all ! There's a good set of cams so the choice will be yours. Noel.

Thread: Hello from Cambridgeshire
15/03/2022 10:11:32

Hi Julian, I'm further east on the Norolk coast, welcome. Howard has said it all as far as clubs go. Good luck and best wishes Noel.

14/03/2022 20:40:26

HeY Speedy, Do warco or chester supply a drilling machine to run these drills ? Noel

14/03/2022 17:51:33

A friend called me to ask for help ! New to engineering, and had bought a lathe. He had invested in a GOOD set of drill bits - over £100, and found first he could not drill a 8mm hole in steel, then tried to drill 13mm in alli - NO GO ! I offered some suggestions but had not thought of this one !

Mentioned this to a local tool stockist today and he said look at the bits, and handed me an 10mm, I COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES ! It had been sharpened to a chisel edge, like a rotary percussion drill bit - then coated ! This was not a cheap bit, of 4 facet or split point design !!!!

Has anybody else had this problem ? It's a new one on me ! Noel.

Thread: HARLINGTON LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY
14/03/2022 09:52:45

Does Harlington Locomotive society still function ? I have tried to contact them on 2 occasions and have not had any reply. Many thanks Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest