By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
29/03/2022 23:52:59

Mostly it makes sense, but not at this time of night I will sort it out in the morning ! may have to ask a few questions. Noel.

Thread: V8 Cam for Little Demon
29/03/2022 22:32:11

Cylinder numbering on cummins V8s is 1,2,3,4 on the right bank, 5,6,7,8 on the left bank ! Noel

Thread: Steam Canoe Machinery
29/03/2022 22:22:38

Top 2 pumps act as vacuum pumps the 2 below are feed water pumps ! and a stuart hand pump has been used as a lube oil pump ! Weir type feed water pumps can be difficult to make and even more difficult to get to work. ST do/did offer a set of castings for this type of pump, i have one sitting here. Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 29/03/2022 22:26:50

Thread: Backyard Foundry - oil burning furnace - moulding and casting a spider
29/03/2022 20:20:53

Very Good, clear definition, You beat me to it with the comment about the fire bar not lasting long. Many years ago I did an invicta horse ! Good luck, Noel

Thread: 46mm tube
29/03/2022 20:13:20

I can't get 125mm there are shortages of many sizes but I can give you some 45 mm IF it's any help and it's 316 stainless. Noel

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
29/03/2022 09:52:58

Glad to have been of service Robin! The reason the increase of amps works if holes appear IS ! There are 2 reasons holes may appear in thin material, A, The current is way to high - obvious ! the second is the current is to low, you dwell on the spot to get the metal to flow, way to long and plop - it's gone ! Increasing the current to the right value will cause almost instant joining (flow) and your away - more heat but for less time at that spot. Good luck. Noel.

Thread: Warco BH600G - Motor hums but won't start
28/03/2022 20:25:27

Colin raises a good point about voltage, go for a 400V cap. Where are you ? there are several who may be able to help you ! Noel.

Thread: Gasless MIG welding
28/03/2022 09:40:20

Clive has it ! I've had mig for almost 50 years and MMA for longer. I have 2 cheap MIGs both given to me and though I have reasonable skill I cannot get what I would call good welds from either. There is no such thing as GASLESS MIG ! It is MMA with the filler rod on a reel. If you want to avoid gas rent Etc then speak to a publican about a bottler of Co2, now your in the realms of MAG. A good MMA machine and 1.6 rods should do your job with a bit of practice, turning the power down if blowing holes is often the wrong move, it may need turning UP.

Using a toy car motor for wire feed was never going to work well though that's what some used. IF you can find a BOC AUTOLYNX buy it, you will have one of the best 160A migs ever made. Good luck Noel.

Thread: Boxford newbie
27/03/2022 19:20:23

Whilst 127 is the perfect conversion, On many lathes there is not room for a 127, so halving it to 63 or 64 is quite normal, and the error is of no practical concern. Noel.

Thread: kerry super 8 problem
27/03/2022 19:13:36

If the motor is OK then Brian may have it, the pulley is badly worn and the belt instead of pulling into the V and increasing grip is running on the bottom of the pulley with VERY little grip. The belt is tight ? There are many belt sections does it have the right belt for the pulleys ? WHAT stops ? Is the pully fixed by a grub screw that has slipped and cut a groove in the shaft, is a key missing ? If the motor is stalling then it will not last long as the start windings will come in and quickly cook ! Good luck Noel

Thread: new member
27/03/2022 18:58:13

Welcome to the party Alan, from another bike rider. Yes Give us an idea of your location. There is a huge font of knowledge here and a vast array of equipment. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Steam Canoe Machinery
26/03/2022 17:03:13

Interesting use of a stuart hand boiler feed pump as a lube oil pump with a ratchet drive on the swan. The two vacuum pumps do look like an adapted AC fuel pump ? Noel

26/03/2022 09:16:01

I may well be wrong but I seem to remember thinking that the vacuum pump looked uncommonly like an AC fuel pump as used on engines (IC) back in the 50s & 60s. The feed water pump would be easy to fabricate in 316 stainless - if you need some PM me. Good Luck Noel.

Thread: Is this 3 phase motor suitable for delta/VFD?
25/03/2022 09:09:31

If all you want to do is run the motor at it's rated speed 1450rpm then a transwave converter will give you 400v but if you really want variable speed ie a VFD then rewiring to delta. I would try to rewire if you must as Brooks motors are amongst the best. Good luck Noel.

Thread: Murad Cadet Restoration Project
24/03/2022 21:11:15

Welcome to the party ! You do not indicate where you are UK ? I would put the motor in the airing cupboard for a few days then wire it up to a plug and run it. Make sure the earth is attached. If your near me I will tast it for you. The hoover motor was a good unit. If you need help in wiring it up come back to me/the forum and well help. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Using kerosene to clean ground surfaces
24/03/2022 09:52:19

Brake and clutch cleaner is HIGHLY INFLAMABLE, DO NOT use in an enclosed space but ideal for starting small petrol engines, quick squirt and a little choke, even for 2 strokes. Noel.

Thread: Tapping straight
24/03/2022 09:43:32

It's been said ! but make sure you are using a Taper or 1st tap to start with, then depending on the job a 2nd and finally a bottom tap. Make sure you have the right tapping size drill, if the hole is only a few thou small it will make it hard to start and dramaticly increase the force needed to drive the tap and potentially result in breakage ! Good Luck. Noel.

Thread: Stuart 10V - rust in valve chest
20/03/2022 20:51:41

Might as well join in ! Air tool inline oilers are unlikely to be much good as the low volume will not pick up the oil. As it's name implies, the displacement lubricator works by condensing a small amount of steam which in turn DISPLACES the oil in the oil reservoir, this is then entrained in the steam supply to the engine. In most the steam to the lubricator can be stopped whilst the water is drained and the reservoir refilled so the engine need not be stopped. Good Luck Noel.

Thread: Rolling a 5" gauge copper boiler barrel
20/03/2022 11:54:46

BIG ish ones ! Soft hammer and a round wooden block, anneal as needed ! Easy way would be to pop round to a friendly small engineering works and offer beer tokens, may be a lunchtime job ? Or copper tube at 3mm wall ? Good luck. Noel

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
19/03/2022 22:30:39

This thread has wandered a bit ! Like John I decided to drop my MEW subscription after the poor Issue 300 ! As to HUGE profits from a book,(SOD) myself and 2 others looked at a modern book on Foundry Work but were adivsed by a well known publisher that it was highly unlikely that it would pay ! As to the OP I would offer some training IF he was closed. Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest