By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Self extracting drawbar for mill
12/05/2022 10:16:35

Hey KWIL, thats neat ! Yes on a bridgeport it's a bit of a climb up to the top ! Noel

Thread: Sealing Brass?
11/05/2022 16:14:02

DO NOT laquer ! Unless extreme care is used the lacquer WILL NOT adhere to a polished surface and VERY easily chip with handeling. There is not prize for guessing how I know this ! The No 9 is brass the other looks more like a bronze ? Noel.

Thread: New Badges for an MG A
11/05/2022 16:05:17

Very neat and Very nice ! Noel.

Thread: CENTEC 2B support bracket
10/05/2022 23:41:46

Gentlemen, I have a centec 2B. I have the over arm but no support bracket for the outer end of the shaft. Will the one used on the Centec 2 fit ? Noel.

Thread: Howdy
10/05/2022 10:10:11

Welcome to the party, This place is a vast source of knowledge, someone will have an answer for almost any question you care to ask ! Noel.

Thread: Tyres
09/05/2022 20:28:52

On the basis that the atmosphere is 70%(roughly) Nitrogen, did they say anything about it being pure ? Did they evacuate the tyre before filling with N ? Good money maker - must remember that one ! Noel.

09/05/2022 17:15:28

Hi Bob, Over inflate to seat on the bead, then re adjust to correct value ! MOT stations must test the vehicle as presented ! Alloy wheels when a few years old are notorious for slow leaks due to corrosion and leaking under the laquer. Good Luck. Noel

Thread: Super 7 adjustments question
09/05/2022 09:36:22

If you have a DTI then check for ANY movement in ANY direction, that will tell you if it's to loose. If it is then adjustment is on here, But get or make C spanners to adjust, I altered ER32 spanners to fit (arc) ! Noel.

08/05/2022 21:01:54

There are NO taper roller bearings on a Myford S7 ! It has 2 angular contact ball races on the rear end of the spindle (mandrel). Like so many things in the past, adjustment was by feel not measurement, that's why there are no figures given for setting the headstock bearings. IF it gets hot it's to tight ! Good luck Noel.

Thread: Gallium
08/05/2022 13:14:15

vague recollection that Gallium arsenide was used in early, 60s 70s photo cells ? Noel.

Thread: A tyro desoldering question.
08/05/2022 11:57:23

It may be naughty, but if you can avoid the solder bridgeing tracks melt the solder then give a quick blast of compressed air, wear safety glasses when doing this ! The switch may be ON in all positions, to different functions so leaving in place may not be an option. Good Luck. Noel.

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
06/05/2022 21:40:27

Propane is more than hot enough and great care is needed to control the heat and get the rod / work to flow. I would say that you had TO MUCH heat. The heating is VERY critical. Noel.

Thread: help wiring a 3 ph coolant motor
05/05/2022 10:08:10

If you understand a DELTA configuration then each terminal should have the start of one coil and the end of the preceeding one, therefore 3 terminals. In this pic it appears that No1 is star point, the ends of the 3 coils and 2, 3, 4 are the other ends. Checking continuity identity the ends of the 3 coils and bearing in mind the first statement a tail to each start, in one out to the next to form the triangle or DELTA. IF it rotates in the wrong direction the swap any 2 incoming wires. It is currently wired STAR for 415V. If your using a VFD then follow the instructions. DO NOT forget the earth to the machine !!! Good Luck Noel.

Thread: new member
05/05/2022 09:51:53

Welcome to the party Sir, you will find all you need to know here, and more ! Just ask ! Do you have a lathe in mind ? Best wishes Noel.

Thread: newbie to M.E.
04/05/2022 21:19:45

Welcome aboard shipmate. Noel.

Thread: Jones and Shipman 540 plain bearing head seals
04/05/2022 21:18:10

If you can get the spec then it should be easy ! What info do you have ? Noel.

Thread: METAL DUST & VFDs
02/05/2022 11:08:17

Gentlemen, I have a 150mm wide linisher used for brass, which when in use leaves a fine coating of brass dust on things around the workshop. Would those with experience or knowledge of the potential risk that this dust would eventually short out a VFD care to comment on how to maintain cooling to the VFD yet stop metal particles entering and causing smoke to escape ? The motor will be a TEFC type. Noel.

Thread: Suggest a repair method for broken aluminium alloy casting
01/05/2022 22:33:11

If your using the low temp rods and can weld FORGET ALL YOU KNOW ! Read the instructions and do JUST AS IT SAYS. I have used these rods with success on a high load job and was amazed that it held. There are numerous trade names, though for aluminium they are not made of that metal, I think it is a high Zinc alloy. You need to heat the whole casting, not just the broken area, and when it flows it will be a strange event, BUT IT WORKS ! Good Luck Noel.

Thread: 75mm x 2000mm Belt Linisher Build Thread
01/05/2022 12:24:49

Having bought over 100 50mmX 2.1m belts at an auction, it had been the plan to make a machine. So reading of your work gives me ideas - thank you. Don't stop now ! Noel.

Thread: Galvanic Corrosion
01/05/2022 11:51:06

Working on LARC XVs an ali hulled exU/S military vehicle this issue is a dayly problem.! Dave(sod) ,Joseph and others have the chemistry and methodology. Heat, lube and gentle violence. Most threads on the LARCs are helicoiled from new. A good paint system will be good defence in future, but for now one trick not mentioned is EDM. take out the middle and then unwind the spring(thread). The process is very accurate. Then fit helicoils. Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest