By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart D10 Metric Plans
26/02/2021 14:59:32

The world has gone METRIC ? OH NO IT HASN'T !!!! I had a heated discussion witha builder I was doing all the structural steel for - He told me the building trade has been metric for decades ! I asked why in that case were some of the steel beams 254mm rather than 255 or 102 instead of 100, there was no intelligent answer. I pointed out that one was 10" to a tolerance he would not understand and the other was 4"

The commonest hydraulic fittings are BSP and cameras use whitworth. Noel.

26/02/2021 11:30:37

I've come to the party a bit late BUT, IF the engine was designed in metric then castings Etc would also be metric and all would be simple. But starting with imperial castings and being a beginner trying to convert to metric could cause trouble ! If one can afford to buy a set of castings then the additional cost of a set of digital calipers which can read in both and convert is money well spent. Trying to work in both at the same time - unless you are used to doing so is a recipe for disaster

I believe there are digital calipers that will read in fractions ?

The booklet sold by stuart models " Building the vertical steam engine" by Andrew Smith gives dimensions in both disiplines. The threads are sudo metric being BA. Noel.

Thread: A Marine Condensing Engine
26/02/2021 10:01:41

Hi Tug, Have you got a copy of Ronald H Clarkes "steam engine builders of Norolk " There are many diagrams Etc in it. There were a supprising number of marine engine builder in the county. Noel.

Thread: RCD Tripping
25/02/2021 23:26:32

Dave, you may be supprised to find that the Dewhurst has NO sealing, just a tin cover, but yes there may be traces of vapourised metal that could form a track to ground. Since this unit has a dewhurst switch all 4 wires from the motor, 2 start and 2 run there is NO live to the motor ! L1 and N are fed to the switch which then dictates the direction of rotation and switches the run windings in. We will look at faulty capacitors in the next chapter ! Noel.

25/02/2021 18:44:21

Dampness is the most likely, so a small fan heater for a few hours may solve it. Remove the terminal cover and blow the air in there ! If that doesn't do any goog slip the cover off the Dewhurst and give that 1/2 an hour. Disconnecting the wiring when the unit has a dewhurst switch is not so simple and the Op has said he is not good with electrics, so This may not be a good idea and in view of the number of questions we get on single phase motors and their problems and owners who know very little about them KISS seems a good addage. Try the fan heater first, if that does not help come back to us. Good Luck Noel.

Thread: Design of boilers
24/02/2021 22:24:22

ONE FOR Howard ! Having watched well over £60,000 spent on 2 pairs of similar diesel engines, I pair were fine the other smoked. The book said, and the experts did, with all the special tools. More money was spent on derated pumps, and varieing injector spray angles Etc. I found how it was set or worked hard to fathom. In fact I couldn't see how it worked. The good pair were set in one way, the other, slightly newer pair were set in a fancy way with fancy tools.

It turned out that whilst the book was right 40 odd years ago with a tolerance of 1 thou, but with bits of wear in the injection train Etc it didn't work now. The experts gave up and told me to do as I liked. I did ! Reverting to basic principles, ignoring the book and the timing marks I cured the smoke with a small torque wrench. Noel.

Thread: Artistic diversion
24/02/2021 12:13:01

pictures 2 363.jpgThe first is a close up of the bits, the second, the size can be judged by the man in the back ground, about 20' tall and quite incredible. Noelpictures 2 367.jpg

Thread: Where to find a *good* optically flat mirror?
24/02/2021 11:47:27

Coventry gauge and tool at their Gt Yarmouth plant made optical measuring instruments that used mirrors that were polished at the plant back in the late 60s. They used the name Kandux and the machines were optical comparetors. The mirrors were quite a few inches in diameter - it might be worth looking for an old unit, as I expect most have gone now but the mirrors might have survived. I worked there. Noel.

Thread: Elliot 10m
24/02/2021 11:35:42

Hi Mark there are several of us on here with 10Ms The manual for this machine is available as a download on the net. If you are going to use a VFD make sure you can configure the motor to suit. I will see if I have the download, PM me. Noel

Thread: Battery Packaging Teaser
24/02/2021 11:27:58

How thick was the film ? .007mm ? Reminds me of buying a calculator and not being able to change the numbers on the screen ! I was on the point of going back to complain when thank the Lord I spotted it was a film over the display ! Ah well. Noel

Thread: What is this? Something to do with hardness?
23/02/2021 17:06:19

The part number could be RS. A hardness tester where each square is a test ?

Next question ? Noel

Thread: Piston Valves - much ado about nothing?
23/02/2021 16:47:35

If you have wet steam, a slide valve will lift and prevent a hydraulic lock and blown cylinder covers with luck, a piston valve will not. Cylinder drains are vital with piston valves. Noel

Thread: Boxford electrical problem
23/02/2021 11:58:31

Hi Graham, SO with the belts off it runs OK ? Let it run for 5 mins. If it has kept running and the motor is not hot or even warm you can assume the centrifugal switch is operating. If this test fails then one has take it that the motor is at fault. Any capacitors can be checked with a good meter, and if much under spec be replaced. They may be +or- 20%. If replacing note the voltage rating, do NOT go lower ! The centrifugal switch is inside the motor which will have to be dismantled to work on it. Though a simple device of springs and weights it can be fragile so handle with care, cleaning is all it may need, use NO oil or grease.. With the belts off, is the counter shaft above the motor free, turns with little or no resistance ? Are the headstock bearings free, turn with little or no reistance ? If the answer to these questions is no then clean and relubricate with the recommended lube.

The middle unit on your control panel should be the contactor/on off control. Your panel has an isolator on the right and reversing switch on the left. The reversing switch should only be used to dictate the direction of rotation, NOT to start or stop the motor, running the motor is done using the green or red push buttons. The contactor should function as the current limiting device, being set to the the motor rating as shown on the data plate, which in your case is not visible. As has been said using a mirror may reveal the info.It is possible that the overload device is dropping out due to age or being disturbed in moving. Re setting is usually by a graduated wheel that may be marked in amps or by reference to a scale on the inside of the case. Depending on the motor a figure of 4 to 5'5 amps would be about right. 10 secs for the contactor to drop out sounds like high current draw. But why ? How is the lathe connected to the supply ? 13A plug.

Will the motor run in both directions with the belt off ?

Good luck Noel.

Thread: Looking for 'the bomb in the workshop'
22/02/2021 18:19:52

For those worried about this and wanting to try and minimise the risk, whilst not a PROPER test one can conduct ones own annual hydraulic test and at about £80 one can get a small ultrasonic thickness measuring device that will indicate the corrosion loss of thickness. This is not going to be an approved test but will at least give some indication of the state of the air receiver ! Noel

Thread: Hello from the New Forest
22/02/2021 14:56:27

Welcome Roberto, If it's models or engineering, or almost anything else and you have a question, there will be someone on here who will be able to help you. Noel.

Thread: Removing Fluxite paste flux residue
21/02/2021 23:52:15

Brake and clutch cleaner may work, it's a degreaser.. At about £10 a gallon you could immerse the whole model. Good luck Noel.

Thread: Making mild steel look like cast iron
21/02/2021 18:19:38

My lovely warm wood burner is cast door and steel body, all zebrited looks fine. As others have said sand blast and zebrite. I once saw a wonderful Oak Beam over a huge old fire place, the owner was a friend, and having let me admire it said touch it ! It was concrete grain and all. Very clever ! Noel.

Thread: Design of boilers
21/02/2021 15:04:50

I love it, Howard ! Spot on ! I got caught like this recently, the cabinboy had the answer !

Dante Porta had the answers to many poorly running steam engines, and David Wardale proved some of them. For practical purposes steam is a gas, so to work properly it needs to be gas flowed. What's the point of lots of steam if it can't get to the cylinders when needed ? Putting pressure gauges on the steam chests (9F) was quite a revelation, it showed the driver what was REALLY happening. You put exhaust gas temp gauges on a big diesel ! Noel.

Thread: Hello from East Anglia
21/02/2021 14:50:38

Welcome aboard shipmate ! This vessel is grossly overloaded with knowledge, just ask away, be it cabinboy or captain someone will have an answer. I'm on the coast. Noel.

Thread: Making a M20 x 8tpi 'rope thread' tap
21/02/2021 14:40:41

What is the machine ? M20 X 8TPI ? Not M20 x 3mm ? A seal that runs in a thred ? All sounds like fun. I would cut thread and then flute. Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest