By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ELLIOT 10m
22/06/2020 23:24:31

Hello gentlemen, I will try to make more of the data plate in the morn. Since there is no means of changing the speed I fail to see why it would be 2 speed. The previous owner had altered the wiring to what I believe is the steinmetz conection to use it on single phase 240v. WAS the shaper originally a 2 speed motor ? it looks original ! Ah well till the morn, thankyou. Noel

22/06/2020 15:13:38

The elliot 10M shaper has stood under a sheet in the yard for several years, but finally I have got round to looking at it ! The motor perplexes me! It's 3ph dual voltage, normal star / delta set up. The data plate is not clear to read and appears to say 650/1140 RPM or something near these figures. The terminal board has the normal 6 coil end, nothing else. Is it really a dual speed motor ie 4pole/ 8 pole or am I missing something ? Many thanks. Noel

Thread: Insulating board that won't drop powder as it is touched
29/03/2020 15:34:12

I have 2 full sheets of A60 insulation board. The modern equivalent of asbestos sheet 12 or20 mm thick. Not as efficient as silica or ceramic fibre but solid. I can let you have some for a few beer tokens ! Ceramic fibre with a rigidiser would work or even a pre formed tube, this would make it easy to construct. PM me if I can help. Noel

Then on reflection by far the best idea would be American K23 firebricks in a thin steel box. These can be cut with a knife or hacksaw and glued together with air setting cement. 3" will keep 1500*c in. It's used in the lining of pottery kilns Etc Bricks cut in half would give you1.5" thickness.There so light they will float.  I built a furnace 25 years ago of this material, carted it all over the country and it's still going strong.  N.

Edited By noel shelley on 29/03/2020 15:47:33

Thread: Copper pipe Diameter Reduction
29/03/2020 15:12:57

For reducing pipe diameters I use my hydraulic pipe swaging press. With 8 dies it gives a near perfect circle. To increase a copper pipe size machine up a tapered(3/4"of I/D size,taper to new I/Dsize, 1" of new I/D) dolly,lubricate and drive down the pipe. This works best on thicker walled pipe, modern due to copper costs is often to thin even to bend properly without kinking. If your near by I may be able to help. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Big lumps of Cast Iron
27/03/2020 17:46:15

If you know what you want and can make a pattern then a casting would be the way to go ! If the idea appeals and you need help PM me, it could save a lot of machining.

Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Electrical conducting paint
27/03/2020 13:25:38

Solder with as big an iron as you can ! In, solder flows and out, quick ! Heater is high current. I would question resistance of the paint which may heat. Best wishes Noel

Thread: Hi From Bavaria
27/03/2020 13:19:38

Hi Martin and welcome, if this is a Beyer Garrett frame then following a quick trawl of Hills and Patricks comprehensive book on Beyer Peacock it would seem to show only one candidate, a 2-8-0 + 0-8-2 originally built in 1927 for Burma Railways with 10 more as an emergency job in 1942 before the drawing office could update it to 2-8-2 + 2-8-2. If you want more info PM me.

Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Any ideas please
26/03/2020 16:49:22

peanut butter or chocolate ! But the trap is vital, the cheap ones trip if the bait is pressed down BUT the rodent will want to take the bait home,ie lift it ! The expensive but good steel selfset is a lift to trip type that seldom fails. As for inner tubes, how many do you want ? Best wishes Noel

Thread: Deburring tool
26/03/2020 14:29:21

arc euro do them ! for what they cost why buy unknown. Ketan will stand by his goods.

Just a satisfied customer, Noel  Sorry hit botton twice.

Edited By noel shelley on 26/03/2020 14:30:16

26/03/2020 14:10:28

arc euro do them ! for what they cost why buy unknown. Ketan will stand by his goods.

Just a satisfied customer, Noel

Thread: Unintended...?
26/03/2020 14:03:03

Well done Geoff, in these difficult times we need comedians ! I always enjoy your jokes. Noel

Thread: Uni Project Help
26/03/2020 13:59:05

As the above says ! Your welcome to use my gear . Though we're in difficult time so not sure how it could be done.

Noel

Thread: A sight for sore eyes
26/03/2020 13:48:05

It's Me again, I once stopped a staunch feminist friend in her tracks, when overhearing her extolling the issue, I interupted To state that a woman would NEVER be equal to a man. I left it just long enough for what could be called "comic timing" then added "they are a complimentary pair" . It's the only time I've ever seen her stuck for words. Noel

Thread: Colchester Student Mk1 Won't Start
26/03/2020 11:52:17

I saw this thread at the start and have come back. Just a thought, I have a clarkson with lo volt lighting in which the pri is 415v but the sec is 48v ac. I would not be affraid of putting a neutral into the machine ,the extra cost would be a plug. Some inverters (transwave) have 5 pins and it can be a real bonus as cheaper 240v gear can be used. If you wish to use dc lighting ie LED then a dropping resistor if needed to get to the required voltage and a bridge rectifier + capacitor will be cheap and easy in conjunction with the transformer you have . Do not discount incandesant lighting, it avoids the dangers of strobe effect and is cheap, 12v, 24v and 48v bulbs are available.

Good luck, Noel.

Have looked at more of the story. IF you bring in a neutral then an OLD 12v battery charger is just what you need. 3amps or more will do. just put a capacitor across the output to stop flicker. This will drive LED lighting and may even cost 0. Do NOT use a modern charger as many have electronic control that will spoil the game. The mobillity scooter models and sealed Pb gel types will NOT work due to far to clever gubbins also. N

Edited By noel shelley on 26/03/2020 12:13:00

Thread: Coronavirus
26/03/2020 11:21:26

Hi All, As this dreaded pox l got started I began to buy more than normal, I could be described as a panic buyer/hoarder( most who know me would agree with the latter). It was MY plan ! When on monday the decree went out and my work ceased, I closed the front door and need not go out for the best part of a month. Panic buying - No, I was merely preparing for the enevitable. Last saturday and sunday at the seaside town of Hunstanton one could be forgiven for thinking it was a bank holiday - the town was packed. Common sense had not worked so the authorities HAD to act ! Some time ago I was given 5gallons of alcohol, need to know whether to wash the hands in it or mix with tonic ! As for info from China - depends on the source !

Since most of us on here are in the high risk bracket, all I can say is please be careful and God bless. Noel.

Thread: A free ride to hospital
12/03/2020 19:57:29

This point should be made from time to time for the benefit of those new to engineering of any scale !!! NEVER GRIND ALUMINIUM AND STEEL ON THE SAME MACHINE. The powdered aluminium gathers in the guard to be subsequently blasted by red hot steel particles as the oxide of iron! At some point a violent exothermic reaction will start. I won't bore you with the chemistry but it will blast your hands ,chest and face with a flame at several 1000 degrees C. IF your lucky you may live to tell the tale after much plastic surgery.

For graphic illustrations of what takes place look up Thermit welding or the Thermit process. And YES accidents of this type do happen !!! Noel.

Thread: Dewhurst switch!
11/03/2020 08:55:46

YES ! I have a dewhurst switch of the type you need, new never been used and the wiring diagram. Send me a PM or call on 07860 711926. I may be at work so it may be this evening before I reply. Noel.

Thread: D H Gipsy mk1
08/03/2020 22:44:27

What a work of art ! Do they run inverted and if so how do you stop the lube oil from gathering in the back of the piston ? Asked this question at RAF Cosford, but no one could tell me. Many thanks Noel

Thread: Coronavirus
08/03/2020 22:18:26

May be the lower international travelling is why till now Africa has all but escaped, A Friend with dealings in China and friends in highish places there has commented that the virus was connected with biolgical warfare experiments and got out, by accident. The poor doctor who tried to warn of the impact, and was told to be quiet only to subsequently die. It fits

Thread: change wheels
08/03/2020 22:06:53

I have 3 sets of change wheels ! One set is myford at 20DP. Another set is drummond I believe, with 2 1/8" driving pins and 7/16" bore. What DP are they ? 24? Then there is the mystery set. The bore is 18mm, the width is15mm and a 5mm keyway. The tooth count goes up by 5s. They mesh with myford gears but are slightly smaller, eg 60t 20DP = 3.100"OD, 60t ?=3.055"OD. A) What pitch ? 1.25Mod ? B) What do they belong to? They look old. Many thanks Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest