By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gland packing
27/09/2020 19:53:05

Do not cut the end square, but at 45* ! Noel

Thread: Steam Raising Blower
27/09/2020 19:13:08

The old smiths motors had a volume control to vary the amount of noise it made, this may have been the delux model, old ish cars before the 80s had this set up. Noel.

Thread: Removing bang in self tappers
27/09/2020 18:57:59

Gentle tapping in all directions will normally loosen them. A very small chisel is ideal for applying the tapping and pliers to unscrew them. plan B, grind 2 flats on opposite sides and mole wrench to unscrew.

Good luck Noel

Thread: Axminster SX2 LED Work Light
27/09/2020 18:50:51

Hi first check the output of the power supply and the rating of the led you want to use.There may not be spare capacity. I would be wary, for what a small 240 to 12v transformer would cost plus a small rectifier and smoothing condenser I would start from scratch. Or plan B, use a redundant power supply form almost anything or an old battery charger( this may need a bit of smoothing) that gives 12v dc.

Good luck Noel

Thread: Hello to exisiting forum members
24/09/2020 09:33:30

Welcome to the club, I'm not much of a modeller more a repairer - of almost anything. Sometimes very big, check out "wash monster" . If you have a question someone here will have an answer. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Hello Everyone
23/09/2020 18:16:07

Hello and welcome Darran, If you have questions there will be someone here who can help you.

Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Home workshop accuracy & tolerance?
23/09/2020 09:34:53

As an apprentice I was given the task of making some (400) silver steel pins for a job for RR with a tolerance of .00025" on a Harrison 10 lathe. I won't bore you with the whole story but it took 3 months ! I could have done it better and a lot quicker on my Myford in the shed. Why such accuracy ? it was a setting table for turbine blades. Noel.

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
22/09/2020 22:11:23

my 1985 amstrad pcw is still going strong, printer, 3" discs and all. Was it good or am I lucky ? Noel

Thread: Brierley ZB21
21/09/2020 22:03:33

Hi Martin, You are unlikely to get much help from chester/brierly ! The machine is so old their not interested, I know, I have one ! What do you need to know ? I have a ZB32 and manual, at least some of the info applies to the ZB21. Cams are almost £100 each. GoodLuck Noel

Thread: Hello everyone
21/09/2020 19:26:56

Good evening Al, and welcome. You will find alsorts here, in metal and flesh. Best wishes, Noel

Thread: Lathe light
19/09/2020 23:36:28

Do you have 3ph and neutral ? if so rewire to use 1ph and neutral and then use an ordinary 240v led unit. plan B use a control circuit transformer - 415 to what ever you want 12v, 24v , 240v Etc Depending on your bulb being ac or dc in the latter case a small rectifier and smoothing condenser.

Best wishes Noel

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
19/09/2020 19:46:29

Firstly many thanks to all who have offered advice or comment. This work is being done due to a leaking tube and will be followed by an internal boiler inspection, followed by re tubing and what ever else the inspector wants. The tubes are 25 years old and one of my fears is that they will just fold up and how to get them out if this happens. The hand hole is not large !!! Even if I cut the ends off I still have to get all the bits out. I want to avoid any damage to the tube plate holes. One thought is an expanding reamer on the smoke box end to thin it, collapse whats left and then use the hydraulics to pull the fire box end and tube out having ground it back to the tube plate first ?

best wishes to all, Noel

Thread: Blowtorch problems
19/09/2020 19:05:24

looks as though a spider may be blocking the air inlet. It seems short of air, it could also be a partly blocked jet. Good luck. Noel

Thread: Taking Leave
19/09/2020 19:01:26

Andrew, as one of those who has been helped by your advice, firstly thankyou. As one who has to earn a living I drift in when time allows, then may not be seen for months. I hope you will be back, when you have time. Best wishes. Noel.

Thread: Hello - Help Needed with Bridgeport Wiring
19/09/2020 18:43:40

Welcome ! I have a wiring diagram that may be right, it is a poor copy. The control circuits seem to be from a 415v to 110v transformer. It sound as though the push button is n/c rather than n/o and operating it drops the contactors. send me a pm and I will try to help. Noel

Thread: Sievert blowtorch - regulators and hose failure devices
19/09/2020 18:10:18

You must use a regulator. Depending on your use, I would reccommend that you use 2 gauges in your set up, the more so if you are drawing off gas at a fast rate. One for the bottle pressure 0-300psi and a second 0-80 or 100psi for your reduced or line pressure. I have known bottle pressure to rise to 150psi or above on a hot day. Fast evaporation of the liquid gas will soon chill the bottle and the bottle pressure drop and if the bottle is less than half empty this may not take long. Then your line pressure will drop and if you are half way through a job cause problems. The answer is to A)warm the bottle, or B) Have 2 or more bottles coupled, close no1, whilst opening no2. Always start on no1. This will enable you to get all the gas out of a bottle - you would be supprised at how much gas gets sent back due to freezing bottles.

As for the operation of HFV, they are set to pass a set amount of gas - if this is exceeded - a hose has come off or burst then the valve will shut.

I have a catalogue from a firm called weldabillity that lists all you will need.

Good luck, Noel

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
18/09/2020 19:02:03

Gentlemen, A dear friend has a foster 3" or 4" traction engine he built about 25 years ago. He is not in the best of health and needs the boiler tubes replaced and to that end I have offered to help or do the job. The plan is to machine up a fitting which will fit inside the old tube with a slightly larger diameter to sit on the end of the tube to be removed, though just smaller than the tube o/d. A length of 16mm threaded rod with a nut on it passes through the tube into the smoke box where a section of tube of just larger than the o/d of the tube to be removed is used as a spacer and a hollow hydraulic cylinder on the end retained by another nut is used to pull out the fire tube. The hydraulic cylinder will develope about 5 tons pull. My fear is that if the tube does not move then damage may occur to the tube plate, though there is a pressure gauge on the cylinder so the applied force can be read. Or how else can I get the old tubes out .I have oxy/ propane and am skilled in it's use. Any advice on this job will be a great help. Noel.

Thread: 1/20th Scale Traction Engine
13/09/2020 23:24:06

As to drawings! Bassett lowke did a 1.5" scale Burrell traction engine. This may help as the drawings were done in 1949 I think. Give me a PM. Noel.

Thread: ECLIPSE MAGNETIC CHUCK
11/09/2020 21:56:20

Does anybody know anything about stripping a 12" by 6" eclipse mag chuck ? It is VERY tight to operate. It seems that there are 4 screws hidden under little plugs in the 4 corners of the base plus the obvious ones. Instructions on the base say send it back to the makers, but that will be very costly ! I feel all it needs is cleaning and oiling.

Many thanks Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 11/09/2020 22:01:09

Thread: COVENTRY DIE HEADS
09/09/2020 18:40:19

Dear Andrew, I had it in my mind that it could be 2.5* ? I have spent part of the afternoon researching this and the spacing give or take a little appears to be 1/16", this being found after measuring a gauge for 1/4" & 5/16 plus another for 1/2". Could you check this fact from your larger gauges ? Are there 2 gauges to cover 3/4" and 1" or is it one large one and what numbers does it cover ? Simple sums seem to indicate that the angle is 2.7* On your largest gauge could you measure the hight at 120 or 150.

Many thanks, Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest