By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Multimeter recommendations
26/09/2021 19:35:18

The safe blocks original name was keynector, I believe they were the manufacturers ? Noel.

Thread: Aluminium Oxide Mount Point Grinding Tools
26/09/2021 19:29:05

Cheap tools and PRO - Yeh, hence my comment about bearings and collets ! Noel

26/09/2021 11:32:58

Be VERY wary of using hand held die grinders ! If being used in a confined space the point may bounce round and shatter - peripheral speed may be in the region of 150mph ! You will need a large air compressor ! IF there is ANY measurable play in the die grinder bearings or the collet is not a good true fit on the point shaft I would think twice about using it. As for trueing a hand held tool with a hand held dresser, be VERY careful. Unless you have a large amount of metal to remove had you thought of using flap wheels ? Noel.

Thread: Tundish - how to make?
25/09/2021 14:34:47

CAST IT ? The picture looks as though it may be a casting ? Noel.

Thread: Electric motor and control
25/09/2021 14:30:22

500- 750 watt 3ph 240v motor and VFD, Numerous companys supply the complete package ready to run, even ready wired. Should give you all you need or want. Noel.

Thread: Drill powered lathe slotter
25/09/2021 14:25:31

Thanks Clive ! PGK grinding the tools is shown on one of the Tube programs linked above. On the basis of the time of year and how much I need a slotter now The small worm drive box I have is more likely to be used to make a kindleing cutter, the 12ton hydraulic splitter is a bit slow and it would be criminal to use the elliot M10 for this purpose, Cheers, Noel.

24/09/2021 21:01:50

VERY neat ! there are many uses for a small worm drive box. It would be Good way to use a small 3ph motor and a VFD. Several holes in the output wheel/plate at various radiuses to give a choice of stroke. Noel

Thread: Sizing a Burner
24/09/2021 09:52:32

I never quite got round to it but had intended to make one. VERY careful dismanteling of the burners from the old super ser gas room heaters will provide 3 bits of the ceramic this you use cut to size and sealed with air setting ceramic cement into the steel box be it round or any shape you want. You then provide a burner jet of a size that experiment will show to be right. I assume you know what a commercial unit looks like so you have a good guide. You have built a beautiful boiler -- so making the burner should to you be simple ! PM me if you want to talk about the idea. Good luck Noel.

Thread: Boiler water level
23/09/2021 09:47:13

Paul posts are right ! If you do not have the drawings and can't get them Then Pauls guidance is good ! Bottom nut / glass 1/4" above crownsheet, top nut as high as is practicable. As it's a locomotive the running level is fairly steady so mid glass as a running level would be good, only experience will show the safest and best level to use to avoid priming, which if using piston valves is not good. Good Luck. Noel

Thread: Hello everyone
23/09/2021 09:28:55

Welcome aboard ship mate ! Thank Christ for this site and thank God for air/sea rescue ! Noel.

Thread: Hello, from Spain
22/09/2021 15:30:10

Welcome Fernando, I'm affraid I speek no spanish, and your english seems fine. If you have questions there will always be some one here who can help or advise. Best wishes Noel.

Thread: Not enoughh CO2 ?
22/09/2021 15:25:00

In the context of industrial gasses British Oxygen Company hasn't been British for a while, Air Products has been Air Liquide and I have a feeling that both are now Linde ? Do WE make anything now ?

Linde in the late 1800s were big in refrigeration, Rodolf Diesel worked for them and his understanding of thermo dynamics led to him wanting to improve the thermal efficiency of the gas engine. The fact that the fuel ignited due to the heat of compression was just a benefit, he had not setout to make the sparking plug redundant, or avoid all the problems inherent in early spark ignition systems. Noel.

Thread: Solar Panel Slew bearing, van hub?
21/09/2021 11:06:40

As others have said, I would have serious concerns about the stability and safety of something of this size in windy conditions. A heavy frame to support the PV cells is required and a single pole unless of substancial proportions is unlikely to work, or, be safe ! I would recommend surface(ground) mounting on small wheels, rotating around a centre point. the frame then gives also elevation, This then gives true tracking of the sun. Good luck Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 21/09/2021 11:07:32

Thread: wireing of electric motor
19/09/2021 11:33:26

Your last post seems to indicate that mauve and black are live ie brown tape and the brown is neutral ie blue tape ? The data plate also seems to indicate it will run cw or ccw. Good luck Noel

Thread: Back to Imperial
18/09/2021 10:48:05

Spot on Alan, recently went to hospital - was asked height and weight, gave both as imperial, not sure what the nurse wrote down ? Noel.

Thread: Ideas on how to make up a G-Clamp Swivel Foot
18/09/2021 10:29:58

Yes ! I made a batch up a while ago for some much bigger record clamps. Used something like 1"round bar, Machined the shape and bored a hole to fit the ball end. This bit was the length of the ball diameter and of a suitable thickness, maybe 1mm. Part off, fit on ball and peen over the edge to keep it on the ball. Hacksawing 2 or 3 slots may be needed to get the peening to work. Good luck, Noel.

Thread: How do you make this
17/09/2021 17:52:45

Is it a stuart D10 ? From the pictures it looks like one, in which case there is a small book on building this engine. Title, Building a verticle Steam Engine, published by Tee Publishing. I think it is still available. Good Luck. Noel

Thread: Extension to Digital Version
17/09/2021 12:23:34

RURAL NORFOLK HAS SEEN A COPY OF 308. Noel.

Thread: Galvanising small items
16/09/2021 21:28:45

Hi Simon, To a degree it is pot luck BUT take pictures of the item before hand. Wedge group have bought up many small local galvaizing plants, they have a a min charge, so a small order could be costly, their work is mostly good. BUT there will be some fettleing after wards . all parts will need a 3mm hole to string the parts together, DO NOT use mig wire or you WILL loose the bits. PM me. Good Luck Noel.

Thread: A question about motor
16/09/2021 16:24:54

Hi Tonny, IF it runs ok using a capacitor for phase shift , keep an eye on the temperature when using it. So long as it does not get to hot you should be OK. If the motor does burn out you can always get a single phase motor, ,75hp or even 1 hp if there is room, there are plenty of secondhand ones about. Good luck Noel

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest