By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for noel shelley

Here is a list of all the postings noel shelley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting holes in copper
10/05/2021 09:37:31

A sharp Q-max cutter would do it. The Deluxe version has a hollow hydraulic cylinder That develops about 5Ton pull - easy to use on the bigger sizes ! Where are you ? Noel.

09/05/2021 20:29:05

3/4"Wedon shank 1"rotabroach. A 2MT holder in a drilling machine. You then can do holes from 11mm up to about 1 1/2" with ease. You do need slow speed though. Noel.

Thread: Clarkson Mk2 Tool Grinder & Accs for Sale/ID of Accessories
09/05/2021 17:00:23

Photo No 21 may be part No 47074. 19, the ABFG has a nonstandard Taper so missing it's collets is a great shame. 31 The wheel balancer should have a bubble plate that sits on the ways to set level. 25, are they MT bore ? No 1,2,3,4 ? The machine when new would have most of these parts as part of the kit. The ABFG was an extra and the other items obviously not with it. Hope that helps Noel.

Thread: horizontal boiler stays
09/05/2021 14:17:05

WHY were they not soldered when it was built ? I would start by relying on annealed copper washers, this keeps your options open, silver solder is rather permanent. Loctite may fail at elevated temperatures, or even try Boss white and Hemp. Noel.

Thread: edm machines
09/05/2021 14:08:07

my pictures11 164.jpgmy pictures11 163.jpgmy pictures11 162.jpgmy pictures11 157.jpgI have dismantled the EDM today,it was built in 5 parts, The case, front panel with all the controls, the power supply, capacitor bank and control board. I have included some pictures of the parts.to give an idea of how it was built. The control circuit board is based on Ben Fmy pictures11 156.jpglemings circuit but built on strip board. The 2 ic s that were used were mounted in holders to avoid the risk of damage due to static or heat and make testing or repair simple. The front panel starting top left, mains fuze 5A, mains switch, to the right 5 switchable capacitors, & the 66V or 100V switch. Bottom left,cutting head motor switch on/off, centre off, up or down. A bicolour LED to indicate up or down movement, this is a failure & will be changed for 2 separate LEDs. Set voltage pot and voltage spread pot. Red and Black power output sockets. Lower left is the cutting head indexable socket. Whilst the ampmeter was fitted, I have not got round to fitting the Voltmeter - yet ! I Suppose you want me to draw up the strip board layout and cutouts ?

The cutting head I have yet to find, it's in one of the sheds, there is as much work in making this as the power supply and is the real key to good operation and results. One thing I found vital was to be able to obsereve the rotation of the leadscrew, this was achieved by sticking a strip of barcode round the shaft. Steady fore and back movement, but more fore indicated cutting, constant fore indicated you were through, hold motor up, job done !   Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 09/05/2021 14:26:47

Thread: Clarkson Mk2 Tool Grinder & Accs for Sale/ID of Accessories
08/05/2021 22:41:45

I know a bit about them so will await the pictures ! Some of the attachments will be worth more than the grinder it's self. Have you looked at The bedroom workshop site ? It has hundreds of picture and some dimensioned drawings Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 08/05/2021 22:44:51

08/05/2021 22:37:24

Today weather has stopped me cutting the grass, so I have used the time to look at the issue of an EDM. ME carried an article by C.R. Amsbury in july 1976 and an update in October 1981. There appear to be several errors, one being the switching transistor in Fig 3 of the update which should read 2N3055. The dearest part of making an EDM is going to be the power transformer. Anything above 40V at 4A on the secondary will be good up to about 100v and 6 or 8A., if it also has 12v and 5v you are laughing. Capacitors of 400v rating will be good. For simplisity the capacitor discharge system and a DC motor is best - and cheapest. What you build and what circuit you use will largely depend on what you have or can get cheap or for free, making friends with the maintanence man at an amusment arcade may pay dividends. Noel.

Thread: Rothenberger Oxy Propane
08/05/2021 14:01:18

Bill D, Don't feel bad ! Some on here can at the drop of a hat produce wonderful CAD drawings and 3D printed patterns Etc I've only just got the hang of sending Emails Etc, I may know more about how the electronics work that how to use it. We all have our own expertise. Noel

Thread: Ropey Radio Reception?
08/05/2021 13:53:30

DAB was more about money than any goodwill towards the listening public. The fact that FM is still running is that DAB has shortcomings, and the government can't communicate with many of us due to NO or a poor signal. Once the analogue signal goes the channels that come free will be sold off for a fortune ! PROGRESS or CHANGE ? Noel

Thread: Rothenberger Oxy Propane
08/05/2021 13:29:55

SOD has it ! You CANNOT heat just the bit you want to work on, the whole unit needs to be up to near flow temp for the solder. Keeping the heat in with ceramic fibre is a must - especially if your torch is on the small size.. Oxy fuel gas heating in untrained hands is the quickest way to turn your boiler into scrap, you will burn the metal ! It sounds as though you may not have had enough heat when the boiler was made - hence the leaks. If it takes too long to get to temp the flux may have been exausted and fail. A small kit will run out just as you are ready to feed the solder in - and be costly ! Good Luck Noel.

I have had Oxy A and P for 50 years (BOC)

Thread: Boring 16mm hole in stainless bar
08/05/2021 13:09:32

IF it's only a spacer why worry to much about the finnish ? In 316 the drill MUST be sharp and MUST cut, it will need cutting fluid ! If it rubs atall it will go glass hard and your in trouble. My Cleveland drillers book tell that for 16mm in stainless it's 40 Feet /Min so 244 RPM. Hope that helps. Noel.

07/05/2021 21:50:55

Clambered about in the spare bedroom this evening and Got out the EDM ! So long since I last saw it, I had even forgotten how I'd built it. Due to the transformers I had used I had 2 voltages, 66v at 8A and 100v at 3A It also gave me 12V at ample current for the cutting head positioning and 5V for the control circuits. The 2 bridge rectifiers + other handy bits, like the transformers came from gaming machines, when all the flashing lights were proper bulbs and needed quite some power. I had added a bank of capacitors in increasing values to 2200uf, all switchable so almost any value could be used. The heavy resistor that was going to be expensive, I used a NOS electric fire element cut down to give the required ohmic value. I used VERO(strip) board to build the circuit, no fancy PCB. An old metal box was adapted to make a good solid case to contain all the bits, and a cooling fan from something kept everything from breaking into a sweat as the resistor could get quite hot. The cutting head is a readily available small 12v motor/ gearbox unit, the accurate verticle movement is achieved using an ordinary ball draw slide and the tool holder is an old 3/8" drill chuck. An old fridge drawer served as a tank and a small machine vice was the work holder. To remove some of the debris an old speaker magnet laid in the bottom of the tank. It was built as 2 parts, the power supply and controls and the cutting unit. I will try to post some pictures in the near future. Noel

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
07/05/2021 17:30:39

A bullfinch handle and a propane regulator, You can go from pinpoint , for jewellery to a raging inferno that would make HELL look cool, JUSTby changing the burner ! Bomb proof to ! Noel

Thread: Disposing of Gas Cylinders?
07/05/2021 17:24:21

What size are we talking about ? Noel

06/05/2021 23:23:50

I can buy parafin from a local motor factor in 20 or 25L drums, though it's dearer than petrol. I have heard it said that de ionised water will work, though I've not tried it. Noel

06/05/2021 21:27:20

The second book I bought was HOW TO EDM by Robert P. Langrois. One design used a dc motor/leadscrew, the other a stepper motor/leadscrew.. I found the dc motor easier and less complicated to make. Noel

06/05/2021 19:30:32

RIGHT ! Guildford was Maurice Fagg. Dilectric fluid parafin ! I bought the only 2 books on the subject available at the time and took the bits I liked from both to build a powerful EDM. Drilling holes in tungsten carbide with copper wire was a party piece ! Most of what was used was what was found lying about, apart from a few £s for electronic components. The 2 transformers gave me 66v at 6A and came from old 1arm bandits, before the days of LED ! Jeff is spot on ! The over cut is about .004" and brass makes good electrodes. If you can file the shape you can EDM it. I used a draw slide with 12v DC motor/gearbox and leadscrew. Speed is goverened by volume of metal to be removed. As the oft talked of removal of broken taps goes, small ie under 1/4" use thick copper wire or brass to take out the middle. For BIG ones use copper tube and just cut off the "legs" and it all falls in the middle.

I'd better get out the books and draw up my circuit diagram, for those who may find it interesting.

More later. Noel

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
06/05/2021 18:41:36

As has been said I fancy the diaphram has failed ! If it's irrepairable then you have nothing to loose from stripping it to see. Their excuse that it has failed due to non properpriatry gas may have some creedance as if the gas was less pure or had oily fractions it may well cause premature failure of the diaphram. Good luck Noel

Thread: Repair It? Wossat Mean, Like?
04/05/2021 18:50:53

JOHN DEERE ! And speed sensors on small electric vehicles ! £101.00 + VAT or £1.64 for a hall effect transistor. Washing machine control card £92 or £2 for a triac. Noel

Thread: Fitting a Drill Chuck Confusion
04/05/2021 18:38:21

Put it in with a thump an all will be well. Yes it is a friction fit. Noel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest