By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gordon Tarling

Here is a list of all the postings Gordon Tarling has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
26/04/2019 11:09:01

You've not owned a Mercedes before then? Welcome to the wonderful world of MB!

Thread: Britannia Tender kit from Model Engineers Laser
04/12/2018 10:19:28

Whilst Model Engineers Laser may not be able to give you details of any customer, there is no earthly reason why they couldn't pass your contact details to a customer or two if they wanted to.

Thread: Any ideas anyone
21/11/2018 11:02:18

Steam valve - if this is to be used to throttle an engine, then a globe type valve is not what you want. There are purpose made throttle valves available, I'll try.to post a link later

Pipe lagging - I've not yet found 'proper' pipe lagging cord for small pipes. I used cotton string painted with white type correction fluid on my boat's steam plant.

Thread: Looking for lathe mandrel test bars.
14/07/2018 09:21:44

I bought one from Arc Euro, though I have no idea of who the manufacturer is.

Thread: Supplier for Large Timber Workshop - Recommendations Please
13/07/2018 12:22:53

**LINK** Built and erected my 7.5 x 4.5m workshop about 3 years ago. Made to the exact size and specification that I wanted with no problems and at a very reasonable cost

Thread: Battery Packs for Remote Control
28/06/2018 10:57:18

+1 for Component Shop - excellent service!

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
21/06/2018 11:05:22

Yesterday afternoon, around 4pm, we were treated to a lovely, low level, flyby of the BBMF's DC3 at around 500ft. Didn't have time to get a pic, but it sounded and looked lovely. We see this particular aircraft quite often and even wifey now knows that it's a Dakota. smiley

10/06/2018 11:03:22

Speedy - the real clue is in the name - 'deflector'. Their only purpose is to prevent the majority of the water from entering the engine intakes - I've seen a video of the testing and will post a link here if I ever find it again. The reason the rear wheels on the bogie don't have the deflector is that they are further aft and the water hits the nacelle behind the actual intake. Sorry, I'm unable to explain the theory of how they work - my job was just to fix things that went wrong.

09/06/2018 13:54:54

They're actually water deflectors to stop spray from the wheels going down the engine intakes.

Thread: Source of quality cars
23/05/2018 18:29:49

You haven't said what size of model you're looking for, but I think plastic kits might be your best bet. They're available in various sizes/scales, easy to paint and you wouldn't need to build the whole thing if you only wanted the body shell. Furthermore, they're reasonably priced. I know there are also some metal kits available, but they tend to be at the higher end of the market as far as I can see. You'll find thousands of kits on Ebay and Amazon!

Thread: Macc Models Update
18/05/2018 11:10:07

Joe - very sorry to hear that, I know how you must be feeling right now. Most customers have feelings too and will fully understand your slower than usual service. I've used MACC Models several times in the past and service has always been excellent, I'm sure it will soon be back to normal. My very best wishes to both of you.

Gordon

Thread: Advice sought
11/05/2018 09:41:42

Brian - Thanks for that. There seems to be at least a couple of people on the BHI site who are close to me, so I'll get in touch with one of them. Well, I never knew that about the regulator, but I guess it makes sense. I'll try adjusting it back toward the 'S' over the next few days and see what effect it has.

10/05/2018 18:36:04

I recently bought the pictured clock at a swapmeet. It appears to be a relatively common Smiths bulkhead clock and, from its weight, it's solid brass! However, there's a bit of history with this clock which is that it formerly hung in 617 squadron's hangar at RAF Scampton - at least that's what the lady who sold it to me said. There's a date on the back of 1954 and also an Air Ministry stamp, so I have no real reason to doubt the story. Even though not from the wartime period, I thought it deserved a good home. It's in fairly good condition and seems to run well with a very sweet tick, except that it loses around 2 minutes a day with the regulator set hard over to 'F'. Now, I fully suspect that this clock has never been cleaned or lubricated in its life, so am wondering what the forum thinks would be the best way to go about getting this done. I don't wish to attempt this job myself, so are there any recommendations for a trusted repairer? I'm in the Grantham area, if that matters. Thanks! wp_20180417_10_30_00_pro.jpg

Thread: CNC Depron machining + film
26/04/2018 09:22:57

Rod - I just sent you a PM.

Gordon

23/04/2018 11:05:17

Rod - Took a look myself and it seems that 4mm board is hard to come by. I'll email my clubmate to ascertain what thickness he uses and where he gets it from.

Gordon

22/04/2018 11:06:26

A fellow club member builds the Flite Test models from the paper covered foam, but he cuts it all with his laser cutter - they do build and fly well. The only slight problem with using the laser cutter is that the core foam melts back from the edge slightly, though usually not enough to be a problem. Not sure where he buys the foam board and I can ask him when I next see him, but have you tried artist's and framing suppliers? I was buying thicker black board for mounting photos from Lion.

Thread: Bennie Railplane
02/04/2018 12:52:31

My mother hailed from Milngavie and I can remember her taking me to see the Railplane when we were on a visit to my grandparents. Not sure of the date, but I'm guessing late 50's. I seem to recall seeing the elevated track running round the perimeter of a field, but the evidence presented in this thread leads me to think I must be mistaken. Only wish I'd owned a camera then, but that came a little later in life.

Thread: Wooden Propellor
16/03/2018 18:29:17

There used to be a chap in Wales who would hand carve any prop you wanted, but I'm sorry to say that he's long gone now. It may well be worth contacting Menz in Germany, they were very accommodating when I needed a L/H 26 x 12 prop for my Tiger Moth. They made me two custom props and didn't print their brand logo on the props, to make it easier for me to finish them. Ask them, all they can say is 'no'.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
14/03/2018 11:16:43

In some places in the USA, it's illegal to reverse into a parking space. The reasoning being that many cars there don't have front number plates, so law enforcement patrols need to be able to see the rear number plate. Personally, I prefer to reverse in to a space where I can, which is why I once received a telling off whilst on holiday in the US!

Thread: PM research mill engine any one built one ??
12/03/2018 12:14:00

Sorry, I haven't built their mill engine, but I did build their #8 V twin from the machined kit - it all went together very easily and runs well on air. My only real 'gripe' is the fact that they use those horrible domed cheesehead screws with US threads, so not easy to substitute something better looking.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest