By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ronan walsh

Here is a list of all the postings ronan walsh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Moore & Wright any good?
28/08/2017 17:19:24

I always stick with Starrett, who afaik still have a place in Jedburgh, or Mitutoyo, their stuff is always excellent. The current issue with mitutoyo is the chinese fakes. Go onto ebay and see how much of the "mitutoyo" tools come from China, all fake.

Thread: Return of the Shaper
07/08/2017 22:44:23

I had an instructor while serving my time, who was a toolmaker and had worked all over the world, including Boeing in the USA, and who was nearing retirement age. He despised shapers with a passion, i asked him one day about working with shapers and his response was unprintable here !

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
02/08/2017 09:40:13

Yes, Howth is north east Dublin. Haven't been there in years, so like the rest of the city it has probably been over developed.

01/08/2017 19:22:38
Posted by larry Phelan on 01/08/2017 16:21:42:

Was very interested in the replies to my comments on English motor bikes. What prompted my remarks was that I live not too far from a ferry port,and in the car park of the swimming pool which I use,I often see English motorcyclists,over here to tour our quaint little country. The odd thing is,I have never seen any of them with English bikes,all Jap or German. When I asked some of them about this,why none of them had English bike,they said "Where are they?" They said that for serious runs the Honda or Yamaha or BMW was the way to go,so I assumed that English bikes were no longer being made. Seems I was wrong,although they seem to be few and far between,only two makes out of how many?

In my youth [many moons ago] I had a Frances Barnett known as a Fanny Bee,if any of you remember them. I seem to remember something about a new model BSA being brought out some years ago,but with a Jap engine !

Would this qualify ?

Edited By JasonB on 01/08/2017 16:24:48

Well Triumph have been back many years now after the original company collapsed in the early 1980's. In my opinion making bikes every bit as good as anyone else, the owner John Bloor is not a man to suffer fools or have a buisness not making money. Norton are also making very nice, but expensive machines.

I do remember the bsa you talk of, there were two designers who used to do television programmes had a hand in it, Seymour-Powell i seem to recall. But all small cc bikes are now made in the developing countries in the far east.

Thread: Tom Senior spares
25/06/2017 22:35:31

Many thanks for the reply Brian, i will give them a try.

23/06/2017 14:16:09

Is there anyone out there making or stocking spares for Tom Senior milling machines ? The bronze nut on the Z-axis on my Universal isn't the best and i'd rather buy one than make one as i have enough projects on the go.

Thread: aluminium crank cases
10/06/2017 00:37:19

I boiled up some old cases in water with normal washing powder in it, the cases came out like new. But i tried it with a separate set of case sometime later, and they came out a blackish grey colour, not nice at all. Someone said it was because of the silicon content of the aluminium reacting with the contents of the powder.

Thread: Sine Vice
23/04/2017 02:55:48

They are only suitable for grinding surely ? Not robust enough for the stresses of milling ?

Thread: Sudden Radio Adverts on my computer?
20/04/2017 16:06:53

I grew tired of the constant adverts on my browser. One thing i noticed was the adverts are tailored to you and match your browsing history, eg. if you have been looking at car websites, you get adverts from garages and motor factors and the like, so someone is monitoring your computer.

At the recommendation of someone on another forum, i ditched the browser i was using and switched to opera. Its very good, no adverts what so ever.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
16/04/2017 00:57:54

I always wanted a Velocette, a real one, not the le200. The black velo with gold pinstriping has a genuine class of its own.

Thread: Boring bar/head
12/04/2017 21:05:33

I have to say i've bought quite a bit off rdg over the years and never had a moments trouble with them. Andrew said to ditch the cheapo screws on the far eastern boring heads, and thats a very good idea. The ones they come supplied with are pure rubbish.

https://youtu.be/DtNn5_N9wu0

Edited By ronan walsh on 12/04/2017 21:06:52

11/04/2017 23:14:59

Just to throw another stick through the spokes, what do you think of the type of boring head that the tool swivels from a central point, the bridgeport type i think they are called.

09/04/2017 01:43:51

Use an indexable lathe boring bar the same size shank as the holes in your boring head. For aluminium i would try a tip with a radius rather than a sharp point though.

08/04/2017 22:29:17

I don't think it matters what a boring head is, metric or imperial, as i always use a DTI for adjustments, its easy and gawd knows what the divisions are on some of these far-eastern made heads. The cheapo bars that come with them are very roughly made, i have a set and all the tips were at different angles to each other, very sloppily brazed on.

A trick i was shown before, and works very well if the holes aren't too deep, is to use a slot drill in the boring head, with the point/corner as the cutting edge, before you pooh-pooh it, try it.

Thread: Milling Slots
02/04/2017 14:18:38

Have you considered having it wire edm'ed ? But as people here have said, gauge plate rusts like billy-oh.

Thread: Turning a finned aluminium cylinder barrel for a motorcycle
02/04/2017 14:14:43

Modern motorcycle cylinders are all aluminium and the bores are coated with nicasil or some other modern surface treatment process. The heat dissipation is much better than cast iron cylinders shrunk into aluminium muffs. Another factor is bore wear is massively reduced by using piston rings much thinner than would have been used in old british bikes, i have a piston here from a ducati superbike and the rings are about 1mm in thickness, compared to maybe 5mm for an old brit.

Thread: Lifetime Guarantee ( Ford)
28/03/2017 20:26:23

I was helping a chap learn to tig weld, he had cut up a car roof into bits to have something to learn on (he does car repairs, spraying and the like). I was absolutely amazed at the thickness of the material, it was literally like paper, especially compared to old stuff like morris minors and the fords, jags etc of the 60's/70's.

Thread: The effect of lubrication on reaming tolerance
17/03/2017 21:41:20
Posted by not done it yet on 17/03/2017 19:13:28:

https://www.youtube.com/user/syyl

Which one? There are hundreds - well, lots of dozens!

The one in the link below, about 26mins in.

https://youtu.be/VatTwmi0vgY

17/03/2017 13:20:07

Yes lubrication does have an effect. As apprentice's we were puzzled by holes not being the fit we wanted them to be and blamed the reamer, but we were told the cutting oil, either oil or soluble oil affects the clearance. Stefan Gotteswinter on youtube, who i recommend everyone subscribes to, demonstrates this in one of his excellent videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/syyl

Thanks Benny.

Thread: Springy steel
13/03/2017 13:34:29
Posted by Jon on 13/03/2017 13:09:05:

Tough and springy an entirely different matter you don't want to use 01 for springs unless a botch job, you will find out why.

Quality guns are from EN9 or equivalent in annealed state H&H, Boss, Dickson etc. The modern equivalent of EN45 works totally different and may need tweaking after hardening, tempering and pulling up.
Dependant what it has to do may be looking at 10thou thick and not exert spring in one area but spread over the length which can only be done after hardening.

I have made leaf/vee springs, including a full set for a falling block .303 restoration from o1 and i can assure you it was not a botch job. The springs are working fine many years later. Also Dewey Vicknair, who is Watson brothers repair agent in the USA uses o1 for any springs that need replacing, not just on their guns but any classic british gun that comes his way for repair.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Meridenne Boat 2019
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest