By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Howard Lewis

Here is a list of all the postings Howard Lewis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MIDLANDS MODEL ENGINEERING EXHIBITION
21/10/2019 22:58:45

Maybe it depends on how each company organises their budgets for marketing, sales etc.

It does cost a lot to attend a show, stand space is not cheap, There are costs in taking materials to and from the shows, staff have to be housed and fed while they are there. And, the base is shortstaffed before, during and after the show. The profit generated by sales at and after the the show ought to cover those costs; but you have to sell an an awful lot of stock to cover those costs.

Some companies are prepared to write off the losses and cover them by the Sales and Marketing budget. Others may not be able so to do.

If you have ever organised, or even exhibited on a club stand at a show, you will know how much disruption preparing for, and then putting away afterwards, can be.

When I, as an ordinary Club member, organised the P S M E stand at the Spalding Show, it effectively occupied five days for me. To organise and load my exhibits, travelling (at my expense ) to set up the stand the day before, two days at the show, and then another day to put away all my exhibits. And this does not include the time spent cajoling folk into exhibiting, and then liasing with the show organisers over stand space, and location.

Every club will have had similar experiences, many with longer distances to travel to the venue.

Even more so for trade exhibitors. Did you see the size of the articulated lorry carrying the Warco exhibits to shows? At least a day to load a 40 ton artic boxvan, another day travelling from Surrey to say Doncaster, and then to set up the stand, two or now three days staffing the stand, a day to pack up, then to travel back to base, followed by unloading. All these items cost time, and therefore money, money for staff and their expenses. For a big stand, that can occupy a week in total. And only the show days will actually cause an inflow, probably too small to cover costs, of cash.

Fairies with magic wands seem to absent at those times.

I love to browse the machines displayed at a show, although I am unlikely to buy a new Lathe or Milling Machine very year. But I do realise what is involved in terms of cost and personnel to attend. Consequently, I can sympathise with those who decide that financially it is no longer worth the disruption and effort.

Rose tinted glasses are strictly for visitors, not exhibitors!

Howard

Thread: Two weeks wasted
21/10/2019 22:12:18

Keep reminding yourself of the immense pleasure that you will have when you have sorted out the bugs, and have it all working!

You will look at the loco and think, " I made that work, and sorted out the problems that arose on the way"

Howard

Thread: Not really an engineer from NW England
21/10/2019 22:09:02

Welcome to the Forum.

Here you are sure to find help and advice, plus a bit of leg pulling!

If you can find a Model Engineering Club near to you, will surely find someone who will come and give practical help in getting the ML7 set up again.

With all Ian Bradley's books to hand, you have an enormous fund of knowledge available. You have an enviable lineage!

Howard

Thread: Boring bar
21/10/2019 22:03:34

If you cannot obtain inserts for your bar, at a reasonable price:

Check the dimensions of your bar, and then contact Jenny Blackwell at JB Cutting Tools. She will be able to fix you up with something suitable, no doubt.

Howard

Thread: Warco GH600
19/10/2019 17:50:17

The Chinese seem to like leaf screws to lock movements. It is just a M8 screw, with a slot at the top end, in which pivots a flat steel lever.presumably, the screw bears on the gib strip and uses that to lock that particular slide.

It is likely to ,be identical to the one used to lock the Top Slide.

It is very small version of the swivelling "power bar" used to tighten 1/2" and 3/8" drive sockets, but with a shorter lever, about 15 mm long.

It may be that cost analysis has found that an Allen grubscrew will do the same job more cheaply?

The likely location is halfway along one of the dovetails of the Cross Slide. Mine is in a horizontal tapping on the Tailstock side of the Cross Slide.

Howard

Thread: Lister advice
19/10/2019 12:26:20

+1 for the "jig" described above!

DON'T use Easyouts (Described to me as "The most misnamed tool in the workshop" )

Many years ago, someone removed the head from a Triumph Mayflower, where, because of moisture and different metals, the studs had corroded the head. He made up a close fitting, thin tube to fit over the stud, with teeth non the end. This trepanned the rust so that the head could be removed.

Sometimes, a stud can be removed after hammering on the end of the stud, to break the rust, but not always.

If the stud can be rotated, even slightly, penetrating oil, and wriggling to and from may enable the stud to be freed enough to be removed.

Howard

Thread: Is Model Engineering in Decline
19/10/2019 12:16:16

The seems to be no decline in the standard of work produced, but I fear that not every club nurtures youngsters as some clubs do.

Although not a member (140 miles away ) Hereford do a good job. They mentor youngsters, even having a workshop specifically for them.

All M E Clubs need to publicise themselves, to show what can be made by a Model Engineer, and then to follow up by making ALL potential members welcome, and helping / advising in any way that they can.

If this does not happen, Model Engineering will decline as older members die off, and no youngsters come in to continue the hobby.

This will be bad news for Society, as practical skills, and understanding declines. Already, I have heard young parents ask "How does that fire make the locomotive go?", leading to an explanation of how a steam locomotive works. Others, apparently have difficulty screwing a nut onto a bolt; which augers badly for the future of the human race! In 1977, in America, I was told that a Master Plumber could name his own price. We do not want to go along that road!, where practical skills and understanding are rare.

Howard

Thread: The New Help and Assistance Topic
19/10/2019 12:02:04

Recently, I gave some unwanted bits to another poster, who wanted to help an impecunious friend in his village. He kindly made a donation to our club funds. So it was a win - win for both of us!.

Yes, donations to the donor's favourite charity, or to their M E Club funds is a splendid idea, and nice way of saying Thank You..

Howard

Thread: Confession Time!
19/10/2019 11:55:28

Be content! The boxes have been ticked,

So even if you swallow the thing, or it kills your pacemaker, the suppliers are not liable.

You have been instructed and warned. (Do not swallow" and other non common sense advice. )

Although common sense is no longer that common, so that's why we get all this guff.

Howard

Thread: Warco GH600
19/10/2019 11:46:52

With regard to the register, if the chucks are screw on, the Mandrel could be a 2.25 inch x 8tpi Whit form thread, with the chucks retained for reverse operation by two "dogs" gripping behind the flange, and held by 6 mm capscrews..

Howard

19/10/2019 11:41:35

On my BL12-24, which is a BH600 clone, the Saddle is locked by a hexagon head bolt (16mm from memory ) on the right of the saddle. This pulls a pad up to grip the underside of the front of the bed, above the rack.

The chances are that the GH600 is of similar construction to the BH600, apart from the Headstock being Gear driven rather than Belt driven.

The Cross Side is locked by what is described as a "Leaf Screw" (A screw with a thin flat lever that pivots in the end ) just like the one that locks the Top Slide. The Cross Slide lock is located approximately half way along the CrossSlide, on the Tailstock side.

It is likely that the four SHCS on the top face of the Saddle are the ones that hold the Apron to the Saddle. These should be tight!

Howard

Thread: Warco GH1224 Wiring Diagram
18/10/2019 10:01:03

If you have the operators manual, there should be a wiring diagram towards the back.

If not, try contacting Warco. They will probably E mail one to you, and provide help on your problem.

Howard

Thread: Anyone know about buying freehold to a house in the north
17/10/2019 18:13:32

Even if it the Church Comissioners, BUY!

Having "owned" and lived in leasehold property, once out of it, I have always gone for freehold. You are then the master of your own destiny, and free from the risk of ground rent being increased, terms and conditions changing etc.

Freehold property usually command s a higher price than the same as a leasehold.

Howard

Thread: New Member from Suffolk England
17/10/2019 18:07:32

Hi David!

Welcome!

Another Cambridgeshire member. You are not the only Suffolk member on this Forum, so you are not alone.

Howard

Thread: Hello From Horsham
14/10/2019 10:48:31

Welcome to the Forum!

Before moving here, lived in Shoreham, and then Burgess Hill, working for the local green and cream bus company, so visited Horsham occasionally. Hope to be in Shoreham, for a reunion, next February.

We loved living in West Sussex!.

Engineers tend to take an interest in anything mechanical, whether Road transport, Railway, Stationary, Timekeeping, or anything else.

Consequently, you will see lots of comments on lots of subjects here. Almost every one will be of interest, and a source of knowledge.

Howard .

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 10:30:13

I bought my ER25 collets and holder from Chronos, about 20 years ago, and have had no problems.

My ER20 collets, used for drill grinding came from Arc Euro Trade.

With a supplier in your own country, if there is a problem, you have some hope of advice and a solution. From a low cost supplier thousands of miles away, I wouldn't expect too much interest or help.

Getting a set of low cost items may cost you material, frustration and stress, in the longer term; before you then lay out more money for decent quality.

F W I W, buy from a supplier with a good reputation, where you will get service after sales, if there is a problem.

Howard

Thread: diameter calculation
13/10/2019 21:35:36

There's no hope for me!

I could never work to better than two places with a 10" Faber Log-Log Slide rule. And now am WELL out of practice. (Still have it somewhere! )

Hopper did not specify the units of the diameter, or the tolerance thereof, of the head of the pin on which we have to have our angels dancing!

Howard

Thread: Afternoon All
13/10/2019 21:20:29

In many cases, similar machines are imported by a variety of companies. The contents of the package may vary, like the colour scheme.

One package may include a rotating centre, another may not, but include a faceplate, and so on.

Possible suppliers, as well as Chester, Amadeal, Arc Euro Trade, Axminster, SPG, Warco, and so on

Machine suppliers seem to be getting scarcer at shows, (not surprising given the costs of stands, and the likely sales resulting ) So you will need to use the internet and probably do some travelling, to visit either the Importer's showroom, or some kind soul who has the machine that you have in mind.

Have a look at the various machines, as well as the specs, and packages.

Do some research on after sales service, spares supply etc. as well as spec and price, before you start writing cheques. Ask, on here, for owner's experiences with similar machines. You could get some informative replies!

Sadly, far eastern machines can have faults when they are delivered. How the problem is resolved will make a big difference to your estimation of your purchase, a few months down the line. It may be cheap to buy, but not a good buy if no one is interested in your problem!  The sour taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a low price.

Recently I found the importer of my machine (Bought, little used, from the original owner ) quoted a price for parts which was twice (more if you include air freight ) than the supplier that I prefer to use quoted, and supplied within a week!

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 13/10/2019 21:23:10

Thread: What solenoid to use?
13/10/2019 21:00:40

Our cooker ventilator, also rattles if the wind is in the right direction.

When we lived near the sea, many years ago, to prevent excess draught burning all the sold fuel overnight, I made up a flap with a weight on an arm, and used this to bleed air into the flue, and limit the draught. Worked a treat, pure guesswork, of course!

Howard

Thread: An interesting repair to an Hour Wheel
13/10/2019 20:55:18

Where needs must!

Lantern pinions are used in clocks, so this would probably worked fairly well.

Not necessarily Engineering as we know it Jim, but it does the job. Far better than taking out of service or scrapping an otherwise good mechanism.

You wonder how the original tooth became damaged.

Howard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
cowbells
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Meridenne Boat 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest