By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Howard Lewis

Here is a list of all the postings Howard Lewis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another newbie question!
19/02/2019 20:02:39

Careless, stupid, or whatever else, that I am; DEFINITELY a fixed Steady job.

10" of 1 inch bar will whip a little at speed. Your object is to centre drill, not end up wearing it!

And why deliberately abuse the Headstock bearings?

Set up the steady close to the chuck, and then set it at the outer end of the bar, and then apply the centre drill.

Remember "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but not many........ )

Howard

Thread: Colchester Triumph 7 1/2" automatic feed problems
18/02/2019 16:51:26

Pieter,

Did you fix it?

If so, How?

Two months later, we are all waiting to hear what has happened.

Howard

Thread: Removing hard to reach ball bearings
18/02/2019 13:20:00

Bear in mind that removing the bearings may well damage/destroy them.

Are replacements easily (and economically ) available?

Remember! If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Worst case scenario: you could end up with a machine which WAS O K but now for which no replacement parts are available.

Howard

Thread: Hi from Cornwall
18/02/2019 13:11:43

Looks like a Super Adept. That should please Neil!

Howard

Thread: Myford gear selection
18/02/2019 13:07:37

Have to admire your courage at undertaking such a complicated model!

All that you need is to ensure that the gears on the Leadscrew and the one driven by the Tumbler Reverse have the same number of teeth. 60T comes to mind

There should only be one idler between them, if you wish the Leadscrew to rotate in the same direction as the mandrel.

Howard

Thread: Colchester Headstock Sleeve
15/02/2019 18:04:36

PS

Would be very surprised if the mandrel taper was a Jarno. Within my limited knowledge , would expect most Lathe mandrels to be a Morse Taper.

Pity that the Morse Taper varies from size to size, unlike the Jarno.

Howard

Thread: New to metal lathes
15/02/2019 17:54:27

Hi Bill,

Is there a Model Engineering Club anywhere near you? If there is, do join, and seek help and help.

Wigan, Rochdale, or Urmston all seem to be within 15 miles..

Take a look on Google

Most Clubs are friendly and folk will be happy to advise and help you on how to set up your machine and explain the strange new patois of the M E world.

Howard

15/02/2019 17:23:54

Peter!

Quite right

Taper according to Engineers Edge is 1;20 which I make 2.8624052 degrees (2 degrees 51.44314 minutes)

Shouldn't have relied on my memory, from the last time that I turned one!

Howard

Thread: Sources of 1" bore involute gear cutters..?
15/02/2019 11:07:31

I have both 1 inch and 22mm bore cutters.

For both, I machined 3MT stub arbors (from Arc Euro in my case) By machining the ends whilst located on the Taper, the register is concentric, and can be as long as you require. The clamping washer includes a countersink for the Allen Screws, to maximise clearance under the arbor.

Same technique used for arbors for Slitting Saws.

Howard

Thread: New to metal lathes - bore sizes?
15/02/2019 10:55:16

My Engineers ToolRoom BL12-24 (similar to Warco BH600, Chester Craftsman and their clones ) has a 5MT mandrel with a 38mm through bore.

So you are looking for a fairly large machine., bigger than, say a Seig SC4 which is 4MT, I think.

Howard

15/02/2019 10:47:44

Jarno tapers all have the same taper, 2 degrees 15 minutes.

A 5MT / 3MT sleeve should be available from someone like Warco or Chester, since the BH600 and Craftsman are 5MT Mandrels, and came with a sleeve. Possibly, some of their successors did as well.

Howard

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
14/02/2019 01:45:53

Sadly, was so obsessed with sorting it out that took no pictures. Should have, if only to show the damage and bodges, (likely to make matters worse ), previously present.

Would guess, from the telephone number on the baseboard, that it was pretty old (020 code)

Basically, a geared shaded pole motor drove a multilobe cam. The follower is on a lever which pivots on the left frame. The lever carries three screwed rods, with ball joint ends, which run vertically upwards. The undamaged one nods the head, the two that needed straightening and adjusting operate the right arm, wielding the hammer, and the outer one, a bell crank which drives a horizontal rod at shoulder level, which causes the left hand to sweep to and fro across the shoe on the "anvil".

The fact that the two rods had been bent in compression implied some fairly large forces, (hence the original motor ran, but did not drive the output shaft ).

The cam had been fitted inside out, making the grubscrews inaccessible, which explained why it was loose on the shaft! When fitted with the hub outwards, the cam was running out. It was secured to an arbor, in the lathe and checked with a DTI. The DTi was moved away to allow gentle persuasion, or levering, at appropriate points, until it ran reasonably true again, (1mm+ reduced to less than 0.2mm ) At least the cam now stayed in the groove in the ball bearing follower. Having dispensed with the pack of washers, a solid spacer was turned up to align the follower with the cam.

Adjusting the rods took time, because to make any adjustment meant removing a ball joint, giving it one turn and refitting, before checking the effect of the adjustment.

Once operating satisfactorily, the back was fitted; which promptly stalled the motor! The ball joint on the outer rod fouled. The rod was refitted with the ball joints inboard, but a foul still remained. This was cleared by drilliing a hole in the plastic back, and steadily carving bits away, to extend it, until the foul cleared.

From its state, the shirt was even older than the ones that i wear in the workshop; and that's saying something!

The new owners seemed impressed with my description of the "as received" condition, the repairs,and the "after" operation, that they gave a bigger donation to Club funds than I had expected.

So everyone was happy!

Howard

Thread: New to metal lathes
14/02/2019 01:06:48

Welcome Bill.

If you are looking for some one to one tuition / demonstration, if you give your location, (Town / Country) you may well get offers of some help, face to face.

You will certainly get advice on here, but seeing directly will be make things clearer, and help you decide on what size or make of machine you need, and how to set it up, and grind tools etc.

It seems likely that you will need to learn how to screwcut, rather than use Taps and Dies. If this is the case, you will definitely need personal help, or it will take a long time, and waste time and material, doing at a distance.

Howard

Thread: Telephone / Internet Scams
14/02/2019 00:58:35

Strange! Yesterday, I had a prerecorded call "Forwarded from BT" saying that my internet connection would be terminated in 24 hours "Press 1 to prevent this, or press 2 to terminate immediately"

And the day before, I had an E mail sent "on behalf of" a lady who lives on the other side of town. But she didn't know anyone called Duan, or the E mail address, either!

Even stranger, my Internet still works!

"4/3 Pi R^3", two off, seems to be the correct response to of these chancers and all like them.

I refrain from offering them a job that involves a lot of travel with benefits. One day I will!

Howard

Thread: Quorn Castings
11/02/2019 14:45:19

Worden sharpening flutes of milling cutters?

I have a Worden, and have not tried it, but don't see why not once a suitable fixture has been made up.

Probably not a simple and straightforward device, but likely to be possible.

Howard

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
11/02/2019 14:33:57

Have just (successfully, I hope) completed a mechanical jigsaw. It was a Cobbler automaton. Unfortunately, at some time it had been subjected to great forces, and then half repaired.

Before coming to me the ruined motor and integral gearbox had been replaced, but nothing had been done about the bent actuating rods, and a foul between the over long screw that retained the cam follower to the transverse lever. (Presumably part of the "repair" ).

The frame and the lever were slightly distorted, as was the cam (which seemed to been fitted the wrong way round. (Grubscrews inside and almost inaccessible), resulting in the follower being packed out to mesh with the follower with a number of washers.

At least, after clocking on an arbor and a combination of levering and impacts got it true within 0.008" Then turned up a new spacer so that the cam engaged the follower.

Not knowing what should be present, or how everything should be arranged resulted in a lit of village blacksmithing, followed by a lot of trial and error.

Two adjustable rods with ball joints (received bent, but straightened) could each be fitted in two holes, and inboard or outboard. When assembled, and with the rods adjusted, as i thought correctly, it worked until the back was fitted! Moving the outer ball jointed rod inboard decreased the foul, but did not eliminate it completely, so the plastic back had to be carved away, locally.

A slight rerouting of the wires away from the moving parts and it now works, more or less as I would expect.

So hopefully, when collected, I shall receive a donation for my M E Club, and we shall all be satisfied.

Howard  Expletive and Emoji deleted!

Edited By Howard Lewis on 11/02/2019 14:34:54

Thread: releasing tapers
11/02/2019 14:03:13

With regard to using the taper in the mandrel, I do.

Useful to maintain concentricity of a part that is going to be turned, milled or gearcut in the lathe and then the Mill/Drill.

If, for instance, I am turning a blank for a gear, the small chuck with a 2 MT shank is sleeved up to that of the Lathe mandrel.

In that way the diameters turned in the lathe should remain concentric when the 2 MT chuck is moved to the HV6 Rotary Table for cutting the tooth spaces.

Without using this method, there would be a need to clock and centre in a four jaw chuck.

Must all depend on the purposes for which the machines are used.

Howard

Thread: ML10 tailstock
10/02/2019 19:38:04

Never have had a ML10, but insulting you by stating what may be painfully obvious, you do know that there is a key in the Tailstock body to prevent rotation of the barrel?

Recently, working on the Tailstock for a ML2 with a rotating barrel, having removed the Barrel, it would only enter from the back end, with the key removed. Once in situ, the barrel was rotated to bring the Keyway in line with the tapping for the key. This key took the form of a 1/4 BSF grubscrew, with the end filed (insufficiently) to form a key to enter into the key way. Filing and a bit of trial and error found the maximum engagement short of preventing the barrel from entering fully.

H T H

Howard

Thread: How many threads please?
10/02/2019 19:27:31

Ideally you should aim for at least 1 D engagement, 1.5 D or 2 D would be even better.

These are usual parameters for threaded components subjected to axial loads.

In this case, going into 3 mm thick tube,,from the side, you don not seem to have much option and so must live with just less than 5/8 D. (0.118 / 0.1875) If the threads are axial, then aim for at 1 D engagement minimum.

Since it is a lubricator, in situ, it is unlikely to suffer much stress so it will probably suffice.

Don't overstress things by overtightening the locknut!.

If possible, I would try to avoid making the threads a loose fit.. In any case, a slack fit will allow leakage.

A sealant should be used, since you don't want steam or oil escaping

Howard, .

Thread: Every Tea Room needs a toaster topic...
09/02/2019 19:34:01

Making toast over the old ceramic slab was still the norm in Iran in 1985.

When the element burned through, they used to locate the break and drop paperclips onto to it to bridge the gap so that breakfast could proceed!

No one mentioned Health and Safety there! If you'd been there, you would know why. Coupled with the Iran/Iraq war, (Driving after dark without lights during an air raid was quite usual) the life expectancy must have been pretty low.

Dual carriageways could be two way roads, on both carriageways! Couldn't read Farsi, but maybe the Highway Code said "Every man for himself". Welding brackets to petrol tanks, and so on.

Am sure that their sense of logic differed from ours.

Was not too upset to return to UK!

Howard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest