By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Howard Lewis

Here is a list of all the postings Howard Lewis has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New application of Mole Grips
17/07/2018 18:25:55

Mole is a family name around the Black Country.

As a teenager, visiting distant relatives near Wolverhampton, I was told that a local boy had invented a new sort of pliers.

Soon afterwards, Mole grips came on the market.

Maybe coincidence.

Howard

Thread: Oilite Bearing with through oil hole
17/07/2018 18:08:29

If the motor shaft is worn, why not do a J S?

Turn down the shaft, turn up a bush (Oversize OD), press on bush, (or Loctite) and turn O D to original size.

As he would say "Job's a good 'un"

Howard

Thread: M300 Suds Pump with inverter
17/07/2018 17:53:37

Not being an electrician, a thought to flush the knowledgeable out of the woodwork.

Does the Inverter supply 3 Phase at 240 volts to the main motor? If so perhaps the suds pump would prefer 450 volts 3 Phase still?

Howard

Thread: Political views within the forums
17/07/2018 17:47:58

QUESTION:

Quite rightly, since this is British, Neil says "No sex, religion or politics", but then goes on to say that this Forum is international.

Discuss.

I am sure that you all will, at length!

Howard

Thread: Powered Bogies
10/07/2018 18:52:06

When PSME had a track, one visiting loco used two vertically mounted Lucas C40 dyamos as traction motors.

I I R C the bevel gear pinions and crownwheels came from small hand drills.

Howard

Thread: ML10 spanners
10/07/2018 18:46:02

Any English made machine of the vintage of a ML2, ML4 or ML7 is likely to have Whitworth form threads. BSW if a coarse thread, BSF if fine, with BA possibly for smaller sizes, and certainly for electrical terminals etc.

Later Myfords may well have started using metric hardware.

Hardware with Imperial A/F hexagons will be SAE or Unified threads. Metric hardware be should be Metric A/F hexagon sizes.

From time to time you come across oddballs.

The thread may be Unified or Metric form, but be a finer than standard pitch, such UNEF, or 10 x1 or 12 x 1.

Examples: A Bristol RE bus with a Gardner engine (using Whitworth form hardware as standard) retained the clutch to the flywheel with 3/8 BSF bolts with 5/8 A/F heads!

The BMC A Series engine used 1/8 BSP threads in the Rocker Arms, with 7/16 A/F locknuts, to adjust the Valve clearances.

It pays to check.

Howard

Thread: Tailstock DIeholder
10/07/2018 18:20:21

The "loose" fit holder to mandrel is probably deliberate, to ensure that the die self centres on the workpiece.

The ground finish helps the holder to slide more easily, which is important when cutting fine threads such ME 40. Don't ask!

I made an ER25 holder for Taps to use on the same mandrel, for the same reason

Howard

Thread: How to remove a chuck from a Boxford model A
10/07/2018 18:09:44

Silly question, are all the others equally stuck (wet wood/sap = rust)?

Steel plate as holder = good idea

Howard

Thread: Myford ML7 mainshaft
06/07/2018 15:14:57

Regarding mounting a parting tool inverted and running in reverse, presumably in the normal toolpost.

The ML7 has a screw on chuck with no means of retention for reverse running, so you risk unseating the chuck, and possible damage to the job, and the lathe, not to mention yourself!

By all means mount the parting tool inverted, and run in Forward; BUT in a REAR toolpost. You will not risk the chuck coming off, and get a better result.

Howard

Thread: AMOLCO milling attachment
06/07/2018 15:07:43

I would expect the external thread / register to be the same as the mandrel on the ML7

You can buy holders for ER collets with a 2MT shank. The drawbar thread used to be 3/8 BSW but more recent versions may have metric thread.

Your choice of ER size will depend up on what size cutters you intend to use. (For instance, ER20 will take upto 13mm shank. ER25 upto 16mm).

Based on my experience of a ML7 fitted with a Rodney attachment, don't expect to take big cuts, the lathe is not sufficiently rigid! 0.020" on steel seemed a pretty heavy cut on mine.

That should bring out of the woodwork, a lot of claims of deeper cuts without problems.

Good luck, and enjoy yourself!

Howard

Thread: Surface Grinder, luxury or essential?
05/07/2018 17:51:32

Envy, Envy!!, Even if they would only be used once or twice a year!

Nice to have and would probably result in the range of work done expanding exponentially, not to mention improving the accuracy and surface finish.

Not having precision grinding machines available, have had to manage without them, but often dreamed of possessing them

Howard

Thread: Hiding a PIN number
05/07/2018 17:44:23

With a suitable couple of extra digits as a prefix, or suffix, they can be made to look like telephone numbers. The art is making the name plausible, and memorable for yourself.

Howard

Thread: a new skill
05/07/2018 17:40:52

Regret not having taken up two opportunities to go blacksmithing. Don't know of any day courses within reasonable distance so must delete from the bucket list.

Pity, so satisfying to make steel plastic at red heat. Can't think of a use for the average twisted shank poker or toasting fork, either

Howard

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
05/07/2018 17:35:19

We, all, obviously, find it too hot to go into the workshop!

Only work of late has been curing leaks on the garden hose, and preventing the feed hose from unscrewing itself from the input connection, despite the O ring on the Hoselock connection. Tonight will show if Loctite will make SWMBO happy!

No wonder I am so grumpy; dog days and all that!

Howard

03/07/2018 19:15:37

And I thought that English had become the Linga Franca!

Howard

Thread: New member
03/07/2018 19:00:58

Welcome!

A vast amount of experience and knowledge available on here, plus the occasional leg pull.

Where abouts are you?

Are you a member of your local Model Engineering Club, or are you more of a general engineer, restoring cars / bikes etc? All sorts on here to provide advice / tips, if needed.

Howard.

Thread: New machine work lamp
03/07/2018 18:57:19

The Greek base for Engineer is Ingenious, I believe.

You have proved the point!

Howard

Thread: Teaching a 17 year old how to use a lathe
03/07/2018 18:31:45

Whilst I hold little confidence in the current OTT Health and Safety quotes (Otherwise how could we cross a road without falling off the kerb?) Safety IS important. I realised the that a 350 Watt pistol drill was stronger than me when it tried to twist out of my hands.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" Being aware of the dangers, and avoiding them tends to prolong life!

Teach an awareness of the risks, and then basic use of the machine. Our turning instructor was frustrated by our 10 thou a side cuts, but understood that we were safer learning that way than trying to take a quarter of of inch a side before we had any idea of what we were doing, or what would happen if we got it wrong.

First steps in machining should be just reducing diameters, followed by turning a taper.

As said, a centre punch makes a good first project. Plain turning, taper turning, knurling and chamfering , and parting off will be good experience, and build confidence.

I C engines can come later, after making a few basic tools with which to learn procedures and methods.

Howard

Thread: Am I getting an irritable old git?
03/07/2018 18:01:09

Someone, better educated than I, said, "This is English with which I will not put" or something like that.

With regard to spelling:

Eye halve a spelling checker

It came with my pea sea

It marcs for my revue

Miss steaks eye kin not sea.

Eye strike a quay and type a word

And weight four it too say

Weather I am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee four too long

And eye can putt the error rite

It’s rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore ewe are pleased two no

It’s letter perfect all the weigh.

My chequer tolled me sew.

And don't get started on "Eats Shoots and Leaves" (Punctuate as you see fit)

Those who never make a mistake never make anything; as the late lamented John Stevenson said,

"Not even a difference".

We all have our skills, and our weaknesses, fat fingers and all. This is what makes everyone different and either likeable or not. The world would be boring, otherwise.

We need the younger people in our hobby, or it will die with us older ones. Our priority should be to pass on our skills, and wisdom, in whatever form they may be. As John Donne, (I think) said "Gather ye rosebuds while ye may. Old time is yet a flying"

Is a Slitting Saw the correct tool to correctly split an infinitive?

Howard

Thread: Lost and Found
29/06/2018 22:53:05

Almost as bad as a colleague who was sent to do a job at Ford at Dagenham. He parked the car but had problems finding it when he had finished. What? Finding a blue Cortina in a Dagenham works car park?

Howard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
ChesterUK
Shapiro
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition