By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ken king, King Design

Here is a list of all the postings ken king, King Design has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Just for fun what’s this stuck in my tyre?
27/08/2019 23:52:11

I would guess a golf tee.

Thread: Are there any left?
21/08/2019 11:31:27

Sorry, didn't answer your question as I was caught up in reverie. No, I think it was all snapped up and tailed off quite quickly, at least the useful stuff, but who knows ...... lurking in a forgotten barn/cellar/storeroom ... one can still dream of discovering treasure.

21/08/2019 11:27:36

'Government Surplus' was the generic title of all those goodies. Huge and often bewildering variety of stuff, excellent quality, and all at knock-down prices. Happy Days.

Ken

Thread: Dam Solution?
05/08/2019 11:26:47

To All, and Rod Renshaw in particular ... Having thought a little more I'm not sure I can agree with what I wrote just above. My hypothetical syphon pipe starts off closed at each end, and is filled via a port at the top. When the port is closed we have a filled syphon, but, when either end is opened its column of water would fall to a level 32 feet above the adjacent water surface, because that's as much as 1 atmosphere can support, and we would have a vacuum zone, longer on the discharge side than the draw side, and a static situation i.e. no flow and no help to anyone.

This will teach me to do my thinking before I write, and to do it at home and not on the forum. Apologies all round,

(slinks off, stage left)

05/08/2019 10:27:35

Rod Renshaw, regarding that 32 foot lip ...... correct up to a point, but .....

1 atmosphere will push water 32 feet, and no more, up a longer vertical pipe sealed at the top, and evacuated of all air. Here's the 'but', if a syphon pipe is constructed, exceeding the 32 foot draw pipe length, but with an even longer discharge pipe, then it will syphon, provided the entire pipe is initially filled with water. 32 feet of the discharge pipe cancels out 32 feet of drawpipe and we have a working syphon. Of course we must remember when talking about pipe lengths, we should really be referring to differences in water level on each side of the syphon. For practical reasons the draw pipe would have to extend some distance below the surface to avoid whirlpools admitting air into the flow (killing the syphon dead0 and similarly the discharge pipe should end underwater to avoid sneaky bubbles creeping upward against the flow (similar effect).

Thread: "I'm calling about your accident" - how does this scam work?
30/07/2019 00:01:24

I used to politely tell them not to bother me, but after so many of these calls over an extended period I now automatically switch to my second language, which is basic Anglo-Saxon.

Thread: Wood in small (or large) amounts
18/07/2019 16:38:19

I may be wrong, but I think Limewood is highly prized for carving due to fine, straight grain and excellent cutting characteristics. Wasn't it used extensively by Grinling Gibbons ? Look at his work with undercut detail and be prepared to be amazed. I'd love to know how he sharpened his chisels and gouges.

If I'm right, you missed a golden opportunity, and you know what Omar Khayam said about that.

Thread: Not quite a lathe, but what is it?
14/05/2019 23:01:55

I have no idea, but I'm itching to find out. Come on, somebody !

Thread: Silvering brass
14/05/2019 22:58:16

In days of yore, when I was tank processing industrial photographs, our M.D., who restored clocks, would snaffle a little of the spent fixing solution, which he wiped over cleaned brass faces to deposit a layer of silver.

The remaining solution had steel wool immersed in it to collect the silver, the wool then being sent away for silver reclamation and refinement.

If you happen to know a professional photographer ...............

Thread: Stainless Steel Metric Fasteners
21/04/2019 10:31:12

Still one more option for you Graham, try www.motalia.co.uk and their 'fasteners' section. They offer Metric, Imperial, Cycle and other threads. Motorcyclists are well catered for as well as general engineering types,

Ken

Thread: What DRO to get?
18/04/2019 13:45:53

Going for the hat-trick here, three posts in a row. John Baguley seems to have negotiated the 'direct from China' route withiut mishap or nasty financial penalty, so that's very encouraging.

As an amusing aside, when Gary looked at my two suppliers he remarked that apart from the colour of some buttons the two DRO units looked very similar, and he woudln't be surprised if they were made in the same factory. When I was firing questions at them I started getting replies from both, in each case from a lady named Helen. I asked if Helen and Helen were one and the same , and she admitted she was. Soo ..... one factory, two button choices. more to come.

18/04/2019 13:36:13

Replying further to 'not done it yet', I apologise and concede that you are probably right. Given that the quill control is pretty good, and given that my plan to fit riser blocks to the head will allow much more use of the table rise/fall travel than at present, it does make sense to fit the scale to the latter. Coincidentally, Gary emailed me and said much the same thing, so there's two great minds thinking alike. Thank you both.

The notion of combining both Z-axis motions in one readout is an ideal still worth pursuing, and I haven't given up on it yet. Gary, can you recall where you heard about it ?

18/04/2019 11:55:58

Replying to 'not done it yet', my thinking isn't so much flawed, it's just that you and I go about things differently. Perhaps the type of milling we do is different also.

I do use the quill for milling, and its travel is 50mm. On my Centec the table elevation control is at the L.H. rear, and not very convenient, so I tend to use it only occasionally. Gary mentioned hearing of someone who was able to fit scales to both quill and table raise/lower, and have them combined as the Z-axis readout. I asked if this was possible but both suppliers apologised and said it wasn't. It's something to think about though.

17/04/2019 21:40:04

Aidan, I would like to fit a 3 axis DRO kit to my Centec mill, and have been looking at Chinese offers on eBay. I selected a couple, trading as 'industry.factory' and 'cncpart2018' and asked Gary Wooding to cast his expert eye over the specifications, which he very kindly did. At the end of the exercise Gary said he would be prepared to take a punt on either of them, which satisfied me. If it's good enough for Gary .... etc. Both of the systems use glass scales, and I selected movements of x-axis 250mm, y-axis 150mm, z-axis 50mm as the basis for quotations, which came in at £140 - £150, complete with swivelling arm support for the DRO unit. Shipping to me in Scotland via Fedex or similar would cost another £40 - £50. So far, so very good. A complication and added cost is VAT at 20% on combined price + shipping charge, so another £40, and the possibility of import duty, something I am still investigating. HM Customs tell me that if the unit price is £135 or less then as a private individual no duty would be payable. Maybe something could be done there by splitting the purchase; buying the z-axis later might do it. If you want a good example of red tape look at the regulations determining the duty payable on a pair of trousers, an example given on the Customs website, mindblowing.

My exercise is not yet complete, but one conclusion is that very respectable gear is available at relatively low cost, and though importing it adds expense it might still be an economic proposition.

If any readers have actually done this, and there must be some, I'm sure, it would be really good and very helpful to such as Aidan and myself to hear of their experiences. How about it ?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
13/04/2019 00:47:49

Now for something Completely Different ! Lightweight and entertainment related, this is a replacement double drive wheel for a jukebox being restored by one of my clients. It's just over 2.5" diameter, so very small beer compared to the majority of subjects in this thread.

100_5041.jpg

The original was moulded black rubber with a brass bush, and it was so perished and cracked that it was difficult to decide what the diameters should be. This was important though, if the turntable was to hit 45rpm. The client decided on the use of 'O'rings for drive tyres so I turned an aluminium replacement, suitably grooved, with a bonded-in brass bush.

100_5042.jpg

He only sent me one of each size, but has since tested it and decided two are definitely necessary. After a couple of tweaks at his end he has achieved 45.2 rpm, which he reckons is good enough for rock 'n roll !

Thread: Simple WorkshopTips
06/04/2019 10:18:17

To hold up drawings which I need to refer to in the workshop, I've screwed worn-out hacksaw blades to the front edges of shelves, using the convenient end holes, then use a couple of fridge magnets or similar. Ladyshave items include magnetic labels which work well too. Trust me on this.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
06/02/2019 21:53:11

Hi Speedy Builder5, yes of course, info as follows:- Material as stated is 2mm L.A. sheet, purchased on eBay so spec unknown. Torch was simple, common butane/propane screw-on cylinder type. I made a hearth using broken building block, acquired free from local merchant. The brazing (or soldering, there is some discussion on this point) rods are special alloy for this process and are available from Techno-weld, or from Christopher Drew trading as Deats Ltd. His material is called HTS2000. Instructions for the process are simple and succinct. I just followed them implicitly and it worked extremely well. Both sources on eBay. Hope this helps,

Ken

06/02/2019 14:57:25

Just posted off a brazed aluminium switchbox for a client who wants an additional NINE lightswitches mounted on the dash of his Landrover !! It was my first time using this brazing process, and I must say I was mightily pleased with the ease of use and the results. The box is 205mm long, 65mm on the switch face, and approx. 50mm deep. Material is 2mm L.A. sheet. As you can see, one bend is acute, and one slightly obtuse ...

land rover 2.jpg

The switch holes were punched with a home-made screw type punch and die set before folding ( the above photo is of a trial piece ). Endplates were cut to fit neatly inside, and were then brazed internally ...

land rover 4.jpg

and externally too. External beads were dressed down and showed good penetration ....

land rover 3.jpg

Here are a couple of views of the finished box, complete with sample switch, safety cover up ......

land rover 12.jpg

land rover 7.jpg

Result !! I'll certainly be using this brazing process again.

Thread: Best supplier of small BA hex nuts and bolts
26/09/2018 00:47:45

Thanks for your inputs chaps; I ordered on EKP's website, and the items arrive 2 working days later. Well pleased.

22/09/2018 21:14:44

For a current project I'm looking for a supplier with a range of steel BA nuts and bolts (specifically 8BA in this case) and preferably with one-size-smaller hex.

I'd be pleased if you will share your reccomendations,

Regards,

Ken

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest