By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DrDave

Here is a list of all the postings DrDave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: what solvent cleaner to use?
06/01/2019 18:22:34

In addition to some of the above solvents, I also use good old Gunk for stubborn dirt. It shifts oily dirt, but not the paint, and rinses off with water.

Thread: Ukraine model engine factories
06/01/2019 18:18:55

Yes, I flew the OPS in Ian’s “speed trainer”. Very docile (& slow!), but I had an interesting moment when the down line broke when I tried to shut off the engine...

I never really got to grips with the fully asymmetrical ‘planes: it would inevitably turn in and eat the lines. I only got a few flights with the OPS in a proper model.

Respect, too, to anyone who flys a CL pulsejet!

Regards

Dave

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
06/01/2019 17:21:48

Reading Mr Cutwel’s latest caralogue that arrived recently, I noticed that one of their indexable face mills is advertised as having “hugh feed rates”. This means a feed of 1.0 to 1.5 mm per tooth in carbon & alloy steels. I suspect that my little Sieg mill might not be up to that!

Thread: Ukraine model engine factories
06/01/2019 15:40:58

Thanks for posting those photos, Barrie. I used to drool over these F2A engines when Ian Mander was the UK agent for anything control line speed related. In the end my budget would only stretch to a second hand OPS. Sigh!

Thread: Planned Obsolescence
04/01/2019 11:25:40

I normally do my CAD on a desktop computer, but I decided to use the laptop for a change the other night. When I started Fusion 360, it kindly let me know that it will “require OS X 10.12 or higher after our 2019 January update”. The current OS is an earlier version than this, so I need to update it.

When I tried to download the current OS, the Mac App Store told me that it could not do this because “this version of macos 10.14.2 cannot be installed on this computer”. Hum: not happy. Yes it is old & slow, but it still works. A bit like me.

Thread: I really hope not
31/12/2018 16:46:28

Well off topic, if you will excuse me, but this reminded me of an episode in Paris many decades ago (where DO these memories come from?). We were sitting in a cafe, enjoying our coffee, when a young woman with a cigarette in hand approached us and asked “do you have zee fire?”. One of my colleagues, who was old enough to be her dad, was particularly taken by this request!

Thread: For discussing the merits of alternative 3D CAD programs.
26/12/2018 19:29:20
Posted by Oxymoron on 06/12/2018 17:07:13:

Hopefully this has not been covered and I've missed it in this thread. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations of a CAD package to run on Apple Mac please? I believe Alibre only runs on Windows.

Thanks

Dave

I am a little late spotting this post, but I use Fusion 360 on my Mac. It does parametric CAD, CAM, animation & stress analysis for free (if you are a hobbyist). Your work is stored in "the cloud", which gives some people a wobble, but I am comfortable with this.

Regards

Dave

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
23/12/2018 15:03:10
Posted by blowlamp on 22/12/2018 23:41:12:

With all the outrage this event has exposed, I'm sure we're equally appalled when drones are used to deliver actual bombs on people.

Edited By blowlamp on 22/12/2018 23:41:55

Too late: IS has apparently been ordering drones over the internet, strapping explosives to them and using them as “poor man’s cruise missiles” in Iraq. They were used extensively during the recent battles to wrest control of the country back from them. Dave

Thread: Alan Stepney’s Model Engineering Website
03/12/2018 14:37:50

Old Al & Thor, thanks for your input. I haven’t found anything relevant to possible modifications to Tich. Perhaps I am chasing wild geese. However, Alan’s website (as per Thor’s link) has some valuable info that I am going to read through.

Regards

Dave

03/12/2018 11:04:08

Thanks for that link, Pete. I was not aware of that site: there is a mine of information there. However, I could not find anything about Tich, either on “livesteambuilds.com” or on “alanstepney.info”. Does anyone know whether I am looking at the wrong websites?

Ta

Dave

Thread: Britannia Tender kit from Model Engineers Laser
03/12/2018 10:34:24

Is it the normal or super detail tender that you are building. I am building the latter tender (chassis & body) and finding it a real struggle!

Dave

Thread: Alan Stepney’s Model Engineering Website
03/12/2018 10:30:45

I am considering trying to complete the 3 ½” Tich that my late father started many moons ago. Doing some reading on this site, I came across a reference to Alan Stepney’s website which, I believe, had some information on recommended mods for this loco. Sadly Alan died a few years ago and his website does not seem to be available any longer.

Does anybody know whether there is a “mirror” of his website anywhere, or have a copy of his comments on Tich?

Regards

Dave

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
10/11/2018 08:01:16
Posted by Emgee on 09/11/2018 22:50:53:

BTW the control panel has a new life !!!!!!

Pleased to heard it, Emgee. They are impressive machines for their size.

DrDave

09/11/2018 22:29:10

After months of procrastination, I finally bought a 32mm hole cutter and made the holes for my milling chucks. Appologies for the photo being the wrong way...

Now, what can I get to fill the vacant holes?

d6476876-67cb-4cf7-ba64-0550af91d446.jpeg

08/11/2018 13:04:10

Well, yesterday, really. But I had some difficulty uploading a screenshot to my album...

I have a desirement to build a Corliss engine, so I have modelled it up in CAD. This found the two missing dimensions before metal is cut. Doing the CAD model first also allows me to see how it all goes together, where the significant dimensions are and, especially for the Corliss, animate it to see how the valve gear works. The drawings that I have taken this engine from are actually very good, but I have found that some drawings are so poor (or just plain wrong) that they will never work. I have taken to making a CAD model of most things before I start, now.

Next step: try to accumulate bits of metal without SWMBO noticing!

corliss fusion 360.jpg

Thread: Drill or Mill?
20/10/2018 19:00:17

Thanks again for all the advice. I have just ordered one of Arc’s SX2P mills. Time to get busy & build a bench for it to sit on before it arrives!

Dave

16/10/2018 10:40:19
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 16/10/2018 10:24:59:

Bear in mind the SX2 hasn't got a quill, and that's the mill the OP was considering (and that I've got).

Neil

The photos of Arc’s SX2P do show a “quill feed for drilling”. It looks like it lifts/lowers the whole head rather than just the spindle. I assume that there is not a spring to lift the head, as with a drill press.

16/10/2018 08:09:39

Thank you for all the advice. I was leaning towards the mill, but I was not sure how well they work as a drill. You have convinced me that the mill is the route to go. Now I have the job of convincing the Household Authority that a new machine is absolutly required!

Dave

15/10/2018 19:01:13

Hum. 4-1 to the mill, so far. Whilst the ability to coordinate drill on a mill is clearly an advantage, Neil’s suggestion of using an X-Y table on a drill press is exactly why I am dithering! I haven’t made the bench yet, so no need to panic for a little while.

Dave

15/10/2018 15:08:45

I would like to replace my current bench drill in the near future. It is an “el cheapo” that has serious play in the spindle. What I am unsure about is whether I should just replace it with a similar (but larger) drill, or spend an extra couple of hundred pounds for a baby mill.

I have access to a small cnc mill, so a new mill is not essential, just desirable. But how good are they as a drilling machine? I am thinking about one of Arc’s SX2 Plus mills. Or am I better off just getting a drill?

Thanks

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate