By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DrDave

Here is a list of all the postings DrDave has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
27/10/2019 13:30:55
Posted by martin perman on 27/10/2019 13:21:20:

I missed that one, I've been outside most of the day repairing a fence and trying to refelt my shed roof, what direction was it heading.

Martin P

Roughly south to north, up the eastern edge of Bedford. It was at only 1,00 feet or so; you should have seen it from Cople. I only noticed it because it was noisy and I thought that it was just a jet out of Luton that was still quite low, otherwise I would have missed it too.

27/10/2019 12:45:06

You don’t see many of them nowadays. A Jet Provost has just flown over Bedford. First time that I have seen one other than at an air show.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
05/09/2019 12:56:24

I don’t normally listen to music in the workshop: I find that it is too distracting when using machine tools. But this morning I broke out the filing buttons to round off some clevises that I am making. Time to break out the dulcet tones of Led Zeppelin to help pass the time!

19/08/2019 11:07:43

After Andrew’s comment about watching Gransden’s gliders online, I had a look at their website & found the relevant page. Watching this morning’s activity, I saw one glider had flown westwards and was circling between Cople & Great Barford: we should be able to see that from the conservatory. Staring out in that direction, lo & behold, a glider!

Don’t you just love it when all this technology just works? Well, it tickled me.

19/08/2019 09:20:12

Posted by Andrew Johnston on 19/08/2019 00:18:40:

DrDave: You are of course welcome at any time at Gransden Lodge to fly.

Andrew

A very generous offer and an interesting view into the world of gliding, thank you. I did most of my flying training (not to PPL, I didn’t progress beyond solo cross country) out of Little Gransden, but I have not been to Gransden Lodge. I will have to rectify this!

18/08/2019 22:20:22

Walking through the farms south of Bedford, this afternoon, we watched a glider pass overhead. Quite low, it circled a bit as if trying to catch a thermal. It then headed for the old RAF Cardington & descended to land. But, as it disappeared behind the trees, a motor popped out, started & they regained height.

I assume that was a bit of pilot training. They gained high quickly, going round in tight circles, and the wind carried them off towards Great Gransden. But now, MrsDave wants to try glider flying again: it must be well over 10 years since she last had a go.

Thread: Tracy Tools
11/08/2019 09:52:16

+1 for Tracy Tools. I ordered an M3 tap online recently. 10 minutes later, I realised that it was actually an M4 tap that I wanted. On the ‘phone to explain my predicament: not a problem. They changed the order details and the correct tap arrived in the post the next day. I have always had good service from them.

Thread: A little rant about Emojis and their kin
17/07/2019 11:19:34

When reading Facebook on my iPad, I get lots of adverts from Red Bull. Being youth-oriented, they tend to include many emojis in their text. I find them really annoying because of the way we actually read: not word-by-word, but scanning several words at a time. Coming across an emoji embedded in a sentence forces me to stop, translate the emoji into English and put it into context in the sentence. A huge waste of my time! Perhaps they are just like learning a new language: once the brain understands them, do they just scan with the surrounding words?

And don't get me started on texting abbreviations such as "ur". I read the sentence "Where is ur bag?", for example, as "Where is you are bag?". End of rant...

12/07/2019 12:18:05

Making arbors for slitting saws seems to be topic of the month, looking at other forum posts. I need one for making some clevices for my tender, so this is what I have made. The hole through the end of the shank serves no purpose: it was pre-existing on the bar in my scrap box. I also made a 1 mm thick washer to avoid the corner radius on the cap, allowing the cutter to seat correctly.

It runs true in my ER chuck, but this is not important. The manufacturer of my slitting saw did not bother to put the hole in the centre and it runs like a single-point cutter...

arbor1.jpegarbor2.jpeg

Thread: Model Turbines
10/04/2019 21:29:34

I was wondering how you were going to machine the reversing chamber around the whole internal circumference: I had forgotten that you only need a short length. A very elegant design! I hope that it runs well.

Thread: Steam Boiler
08/04/2019 20:10:46

With a maximum Fe content of 3%, Inconel 740 is hardly a steel! It is designed for the superheater section of a coal-fired boiler in a power station, but does its cost not make it less attractive, even given the probable difficulties in trying to get a boiler certificate.

14/03/2019 22:18:45

Thanks for providing those links, Michael. I looked through the pdfs, but no sign of my “new” drill. I’ll put a photo in my album tomorrow to see if that stirs any further memories from anyone.

Dave

14/03/2019 21:34:10

Went to Oxford to collect a rotary table that I bought. When I got home, I found a high speed drill press that had snuck into the boot while I was not watching. Seriously, though, I have been after one to replace my el Cheapo drill for some time & the gent that I visited offered it to me at a price that I could not refuse.

The drill is by Multico, but there is no other info that I can see. I cannot find any info on lathes.co.uk about this machine: does anyone have any info about it? The three speeds would be a start!

08/03/2019 12:03:24
Posted by Cornish Jack on 08/03/2019 11:28:46:

Just come across this - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-08/nasa-captures-incredible-images-of-supersonic-shockwaves-intera/10882590

Don't understand the technical significance but VERY impressive images!

rgds

Bill

That’s impressive photography! I’ve only seen this type of photograph from a supersonic wind tunnel before: to achieve these results in the Great Blue Yonder opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Dave

19/02/2019 18:38:11
Posted by martin perman on 19/02/2019 16:41:55:

According to the time table they should have been in the Bedford area around 13:20 but didnt see hide nor hair of them.

Martin P

Martin, they are due over RAE Bedford tomorrow. We went to RAF Cosford to see them today. Two hours there, two hours back, for an 8 second flypast... At least their museum has some exceptional aeroplanes and missiles to view.

Thread: Emco F1 Mill Upgrade
25/01/2019 16:20:11

Rod,

Further to John’s reply, I used the SI-5 “Barrier Terminal Board Signal Isolator” with my KBIC240 controller. It provides the required isolation between the power & control circuits (or at least no smoke has escaped so far).

Regards

Dave

22/01/2019 13:13:36

Emgee, thanks for that info. I checked the DIP switches on my stepper drivers: I set them to limit the current to 1.5 amps (the driver is capable of 4.5 A). I recall that I set them to the low value to protect things whilst I got used to the machine. Perhaps I will leave them there! I am not chasing maximum feeds on this machine.

Regards

Dave

22/01/2019 09:31:21

Hi Bitzer,

Yes, I used the KBIC-240 (stock code BB-9428), the reciept does not say whether it is the D model... I have used the 0.05 ohm resistor, but don’t take my word that this is the correct one! I has worked so far, but the mill has not seen much use over winter since I finished the mod.

Steppers & drivers are a bit out of my comfort zone. I chose steppers that looked to be similar to Emco’s originals in terms of torque, though I never did find the specs for Emco’s steppers. I was concerned that an increase in stepper torque, without beefing up the screws & nuts, would invite serious damage at the first crash.

Regards

Dave

22/01/2019 08:39:03

Rod, I paid £102.60 for the SI-5 board from Axis Controls in May last year.

Regards

Dave

21/01/2019 20:06:26

Hi Rod,

The mill has the original DC motor. The wiring schematic from Centroid shows the KBIC motor controller with their SI-5 barrier terminal board. I bought one of these (sound of air being sucked through teeth), wired it in accordance with the schematic & it worked first time.

I have a 3 phase motor with VFD in my lathe. That also uses an Acorn card and, when I set the correct parameters on the VFD, the 0-10V output on the Acorn controls the spindle speed.

Bitzer: my apologies for not answering. I did not see your post come in... Digging through the paperwork showed the steppers to be 57HS82-3008B.

I trust this helps. If not, please ask and I will do my best to answer.

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne; London MES
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest