By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Boiler Bri

Here is a list of all the postings Boiler Bri has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: War o wm18
17/06/2019 21:23:07

Just spotted that there is an induction head, maybe that's something to look for by following the wires. Too bleary eyed now and enjoying a Dads day beer beer

Will try tomorrow

B

17/06/2019 21:21:13

ERM i put it all back together there really was nothing. Just the motor and the casting top!

I think its generated by the filter somehow?

Bri

Thread: Tools or 'things' as therapy
17/06/2019 21:18:36

MMMMn depends on the tool!!! Nowt like feeling a good spanner, or feeling like one for that matter! Especially when you got bored with setting the dividing head and moved one hole too many and bu!"£"! up your latest creation.

Bri

Edited By Boiler Bri on 17/06/2019 21:20:03

Thread: First Project
17/06/2019 21:13:47

HI, there is no castings in the Suffolk that's why i liked it at the time. All square edges to work from.

Bri

17/06/2019 21:08:21

I removed the top cover but there is nothing hiding in there.

I also had a look in the control box, there is a ribbon cable that goes from the digital display to a small circuit board and that looks ok?

This is the circuit diagram that came with it.

No signs of a tacho?

pcb.jpg

Thread: Making High Speed Steel Injector D Bits
16/06/2019 17:04:29

Did i rattle your cage or something? I thought i had complimented you?

The drawings in his book, shop shed and road look pretty comprehensive to me, or maybe i have missed something?

Bri

16/06/2019 08:09:01

Thats great. I am just in the process of drawing up LBSC injectors to have a bash at making some. I was going to ask how to make the reamers.

They will be slightly hollow grinding them on the face of the wheel. They look like they will be sharp.

Cheers

Brian

Thread: water supply
16/06/2019 08:03:24

Government now theres a name for having a job and being able to screw it up and still keep your job !

Thread: Chinese carbide inserts.
15/06/2019 21:07:31

Posted by jimmy b on 15/06/2019 19:41:44:

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 15/06/2019 18:21:12:

I never spend more on cheap bits from ebay than I can afford to lose.

Sometimes they are good, sometimes utter rejects. I got a toolholder that wasn't properly tapped so the screw stopped half a mm above the insert! 'Luckily' it wasn't hard so I was able to tap it to full depth. Probably one of a batch of QC rejects sold on cheap like the insert pictured above..

The better stuff tends to be when people sell off old stock bought from reputable suppliers.

Neil

I agree totally with you Neil.

Too many people buy cheap and expect high end goods.

Cheap tools are a bit like bit like gambling, only spend what you can afford to lose!

Jim

Edited By jimmy b on 15/06/2019 19:42:09

Or do not gamble at home. Sorry. Something close to my heart.

On a brighter note. Take the advice on these forums.

Bri

15/06/2019 21:04:45

Try Cutwell on line. Reasonable prices and goods seem ok.

Bri

Thread: First Project
15/06/2019 20:56:03

First engine i made was John Hainings Suffolk Dredging tractor in 3” scale. I chose this as it is mainly made from standard bright bars sizes and generally fairly easy machining. I did most of it at Penistone grammar school on a evening class over two years. By eck that brings back memories 🙄

Thread: Which Qctp for mini lathe?
15/06/2019 20:47:11

I have one from - a reputable supplier. I bought it after i sold my 5” Boxford lathe to a very nice chap in the Derby area. I got carried away on the day and let him have the lot tool holders and everything. The copy one i bought has been ok but i do not trust it. it does not seem to feel right. It locks the holders but seems as if you could pull some more on the lever. Strange

Anyhow recently on this web site in the for sale adds a chap had a boxford one for sale so i bought it and hopefully i will be back to normal 😳🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
14/06/2019 20:05:50

Finished my steam manifold ready to Silver solder the fittings onto it

should look much better than the 5/8 square block that can with it

d8a5943f-87ee-4424-8a1b-e61d8826c133.jpeg

B

Edited By Boiler Bri on 14/06/2019 20:10:24

Thread: Tig welding of copper
14/06/2019 19:00:50

Hi. You are looking for something that is treat as a dark art. We have tried at work using standard kit. tig with standard tungstens and argon back purging. The result was ok. I have heard that using another type of gas that i can not think of the name keeps the heat better on the job. There is an American guy the demonstrates it on you tube i will have a look around and post when i find it.

Bri

Thread: How to machine Acetal
14/06/2019 18:54:45

We use tips made for cutting aluminium. High speed and high feed rate with air cooling.

Bri

Thread: traction engine pump
14/06/2019 18:52:52

The pump will only lift water if its creating a vacuum when it strokes. Most important is the sealing of the valves. If your using metal balls try changing them for nitrile ones just to test the integrity of the steel ones seating. Then go from the results you get

Bri

12/06/2019 21:23:07

Hi Daniel. I will have a look. It was vibrating a bit. It might have worked loose.

Cheers

brian

12/06/2019 20:13:16

OK so I forgot about this problem as the weather warmed up. I cleaned all the tapers i use on the milling machine and the bore itself. The problem seems to have gone away for now.

Trouble is it does not end there.

I was running at top speed milling some bronze the other evening and the speed counter stopped working. Before i start dismantling the think has anyone else experience this problem?

Is the speed calculated via the drive or is it a counter of some sorts on the spindle?

Bri

Thread: Woody but not quite a Forest
12/06/2019 20:04:14

I like the cylinder, did you try screw cutting it first or was the milling the first option?

B

Thread: High performance Torx bits
12/06/2019 20:00:56

My experience is pretty basic, however we tried to use them at work in place of hex cap heads, the tools were always snapping off. They all seemed to be too hard or cheap whichever applies to them.

Heat always gets stuck bolts out that have had too much loctite on them. In ten years of trying to get the fitters to put a small amount on, i think its finally sunk in that too much is not good. I live in hope crying

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest