By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for paul rushmer

Here is a list of all the postings paul rushmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old lathe identification
30/05/2022 07:24:35

Thanks for the thoughts so far, the head stock is a bronze casting, base is cast iron with plywood infill with mountings for motor so not origional and yes the mounting bracket is a lump of angle.

Thanks Paul

29/05/2022 14:44:08

old latheI rescued this from a scrap heap approximatly 18 inches long with a centre height of 2 1/2 inches, looks commercially made. I dont know wether it is a wood or instrument lathe. Spindle looks 1/2" BSW and solidold lathe Thanks Paul

Thread: Reinventing The Real
29/05/2022 14:02:44

Real engine

Edited By JasonB on 29/05/2022 14:07:18

29/05/2022 14:01:00

Real engineReal engineHi Jason

Thought you mite like to see my fathers take on the real. Fluted columns redesigned piston rod support acorn nuts and a large pulley, he wanted to fit a govener but that never got done.

Paul

l

Thread: boiler connector
26/05/2022 19:11:53

Hi Duncan

Try looking on R.S. components for mate&lock. If it helps you can get the pins out we used the special tool but a simple thin wall tube turned up on the lathe works well it should be a good fit on the pin to close the barbs in then pull on the wire.

Paul

Thread: Milk container top colours
26/05/2022 18:37:04

What I want to know is why are the glass bottles from the milk man differant colours from the plastic ones from the suppermarket?

slow fingers you beet me

Edited By paul rushmer on 26/05/2022 18:40:04

Thread: Supplier of 7/32" Dowel Pins Please?
25/04/2022 19:27:32

Having worn out the pins in my Marlco I watched this thread with intrest , I have just ordered some rollers from Simply Bearings. Many thanks every body.

Paul

Thread: Identity of static engine kit
17/04/2022 12:29:14

Hi Clive

Looks like Tina from GLR to me, If you look on there web site there are pictures of the individual castings.

Hope this helps Paul

Thread: Westbury 1831 LMS locomotive
20/12/2021 21:51:40

This one was built by Ivan law and uses a body kit from model engineers laser. I have severial part built (nun by me) and all the articles if I can help I will try looking in my albums

Pauldscf0913.jpg

Thread: Track Maintenance
09/11/2021 20:26:04

At Cambridge Model Engineers we use a local company called filcris thay supply many sections of recycled plastic wood. They have advertised in ME in the past.

Paul

Thread: Pressure Turning
24/03/2021 19:15:53

Hi Ron I occasionally use this techneique the trick for me is to use a largish face plate/stub of material in the chuck with a thin rubber sheet 3mm glued on then the work then the pressure plate with a large centre in it of simmilar diameter with a 6 to 9mm thick rubber sheet glued on then the rolving centre. using this set up you can watch the thick rubber swell under load and keep an eye on it while working.

Hope this reassures you Paul

Thread: Alfred Herbert high speed bench drill
06/03/2021 20:42:24

I dont know if your drill is like my old J & S on this machine you swop the quill pulley for the motor pulley.

Paul

Thread: 10 BA
17/02/2021 21:21:48

Hi

I use 1/16 welding filler rod, probbly easer on the die than silver steel and avalible in 3 foot lengths.

Paul

Thread: How to restore artists' brush bristles
14/12/2020 19:38:40

We have found this product very good, "The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver" Its like a soap lather and work in and massage between fingers, may take severial goes with patence a solid brush can be restored. Its avalible from good art suppliers or Amazon.

Paul

Thread: HELP in constructing 5 inch gauge points
08/12/2020 20:15:27

Hello David. I have just started building a 5 & 3 1/2 inch gauge point, I am using Doug Hewson s articles from Engineering in Minature volume 12 no 4 & 5. These articles are for 5inch only so I am adding the 3 1/2 rail and hoping all goes well. Unfortunatly I have mislayed the original mags but I have copies, if you would like copies of my copies please p.m. me.

Paul

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
27/05/2020 10:42:55

My memory is not what it was, the packing used should be 0.7mm or 1/32. Hope fully I have attached the revalent page from the book.

Paul002.jpg

27/05/2020 08:37:09

If my memory serves me correctly (its a long time ago I built mine 40 years) I used a 11mm ballnose cutter and the bearings were a brass extrusion. Andrew Smith in his book suggested using a piece of 16 SWG? sheet wrapped round the curved area and the three jaw chuck. Hope this helps.

Paul

Thread: In need of a steel ring 132mm dia
07/07/2019 10:43:31

Terry This is a classic case of where are you, my slip rolls will handle 6 by 20 strip. All so a good reason to belong to a club we have several sets of rolls a large scrap box plus many members willing to help. The club is Cambridge.

Food for thought Paul

Thread: Odd sized strong bar
19/06/2019 13:07:35

Hi

Some where I have a set bought from Wistons many years a go, Interestingly this had an od 1/4 drive socket in it that fitted Meccano square nuts.

Thread: tender plans
21/05/2019 13:09:17

Hi Phil

seeing Juliet is loosely an industrial loco they would have used what ever was around often an old 3 plank wagon or a 7 plank end door wagon with the door removed!

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest