By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for paul rushmer

Here is a list of all the postings paul rushmer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: tender plans
21/05/2019 13:09:17

Hi Phil

seeing Juliet is loosely an industrial loco they would have used what ever was around often an old 3 plank wagon or a 7 plank end door wagon with the door removed!

Paul

Thread: Plans for Modular traction engine
22/04/2019 07:55:57

Hi Jason is correct TE 19 is Modular a 3/4 scale freelance traction engine (vol147) by J.G. Churchill

Hope this helps Paul

Thread: Hello all from sunny Suffolk
01/04/2019 14:32:53

Hi Bill I am just down the road in Haverhill along with 4 other members of the Cambridge club, we have a couple of members around Bury. Why don't you come and say hello one Sunday or Thursday at the club.

Paul

Thread: Thick walled copper tube
12/02/2019 11:08:19

Keith

3/16 16swg copper tube is available from Blackgates in short lengths delivery normally by return.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thread: Alum as metal remover.
07/01/2019 13:51:49

Just looked at my eBay history, Minerals-water Ltd 800g £12 inc postage.

Hope this helps Paul

07/01/2019 13:22:05

Try eBay I bought some from a chemical company (south Essex I believe ) last year to remove a 10 BA from Dads new copper boiler. It worked well but took a week.

Paul

Thread: Speedy1500
20/11/2018 15:34:26

Hi Michael

I think Grandfather finished it in 1974 ,I have driven it a lot we used to take it to local fates to give the children rides on our portable track and raise funds for charities and the like. The valve gear is as LBSC designed, I know he had to file bits out to get full travel, as to performance reluctant to pull away slowly and does not like drifting slowly or notching up but open her up and she keeps up with her name. Sorry this is not of great help. Personably I would try and find Don Astons article in the M.E. before machining any parts. From memory He reckoned most parts needed changing, there is not really enough room between the cylinder and crank pin so a compromise has to be made. The Americans got it right on the USA tank on the southern they drove the rear axle! I have no plans to run the engine in the near future you would have been a good reason! Slowly trying to improve some 3 1/2 wagons at the moment.

Paul

18/11/2018 18:00:26

Hi Michael

It would help if we knew roughly were you are I am Cambridge club based and have my grandfathers Speedy quietly slumbering in the back of the garage, last run 4 years ago. You would be welcome to come and view and she may be persuaded to run! I think it is built exactly as LBSC intended.

Paul

Thread: Mystery adaptor for MT4 shanks
11/11/2018 18:55:40

Is it the adapter supplied with a large Colchester (Triumph 2000) a long time since I used one.

Paul

Thread: tich
16/10/2018 15:23:15

Hi Phil

The regulator in Robroy is screw down and mine works a treat, seals well for boiler tests. Just do not leave it tight shut as the boiler cools down you may not be able to move it until the boiler is hot again.

hope this helps Paul

Thread: Convex buffer face
21/09/2018 12:40:18

I hand tool mine using a file ground smooth on the end and sharpened like a wide parting tool, the tool rest being a round rod held in the tool post. Check the profile by eye and feel polish with emery to finish. This method is quick simple and easy. Just be carful.

Paul

Thread: Putting correct profile on someone elses wheels
06/09/2018 07:47:44

There is an error in this table if using metric units the 3 1/2 back to back is given as 83mm, this should be 83.35mm. Not a lot I know but worth knowing.

Paul

03/09/2018 13:40:08

Coning the tread should help centre the wheels on the track, the root radius is just as important. These two help stop the flange banging in to the side of the rail and improve ride. The root radius should be 0.050 inch but I use a broken No1 centre drill in a tangential holder sharpened to the appropriate angle to cut as a form tool (0.062 radius) this works fine on our multi gauge track. Both wheels on an axle should be the same diameter or they will try to go round in circles.

Hope this helps Paul

Thread: Hello from Cambridgeshire
31/08/2018 22:57:18

Hi Andrew,

The club in St. Neots is known as the Riverside Railway, from what club members have told me about it, it is more of a community miniature railway and not a model engineering club as we know it.

I find these conversations intriguing as very few people mention the Cambridge Model Engineers we have been at our present site fore about 60 years ( are we black listed!!).

Please visit us, this year we holding the southern fed rally on Saturday the 8th September.

Paul

Thread: Todays Mystery Object?
17/07/2018 20:04:34

If my memory is correct that was made by Cambridge Instruments cam in a bridge !!

Paul

Thread: 1831
09/04/2018 20:54:45

Jeff I have 2 part builds (not by my self) and other bits and some information you may find useful

LMS Journal No2 pub wild swan has a 20 page article on the prototype including drawings and photos

Model engineers laser do a body kit (Ivan Laws design)

Ian Bradly did some mods ME 2 nov 1944 larger flywheel 24 sept 1942 pressure relief for the oil pump and eccentric idler gear in valve train

I had A friend NC some coupling rods for me in steel, I do not like the look of the original ones in aluminium (wrong colour)

Pauldscf1697.jpg

Thread: Tin plate
18/03/2018 18:08:27

Hi John

Where are you in the country? I have several 2 foot square sheets in the garage you are welcome to some. Nearest major town Cambridge.

Paul

Thread: Broken tap in copper boiler
18/03/2018 18:00:50

Just to up date you all the Brocken tap came out yesterday as black mush, the long time is probably due to the size (10BA) very little room for the alum to flow round and clear debris and the fact it was left in the conservatory very cold this weather! Just got to modify fire hole door hinge to fit new bolt holes.

Thanks again Paul

Thread: Tool for rivets
21/02/2018 06:44:22

I have one of the tools pictured and find it useful, when Dave Noble was trading he us to make a modified jaw for a pair of mole grips. Some one in GL5 modified a pair of parallel closing gas plyers. The wagon boys use them a lot for riveting steel chassis together.

Paul

Thread: Broken tap in copper boiler
20/02/2018 18:02:17

Thanks all.

I have just bought some brick cleaner for removing mill scale as recommended by Jason and others, I will try that.

Paul

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest