By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

How Would You makes this?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stub Mandrel25/03/2012 21:35:38
4304 forum posts
292 photos

This took a little thought and a lot of patience - and several tries!

How would YOU make it?


JasonB25/03/2012 21:43:13
12317 forum posts
1095 photos

Looks like its been punched out so would have to make a rectangular punch and space out a row of holes, step over for the next row and then back for the next etc.


Ian P25/03/2012 22:07:00
1870 forum posts
78 photos

If this is something you have already made it appears to have had a hard life after you finished it with a distressed/crumpled look!

Its hard to tell from the picture what size it is, or what the material is. If its painted metal then the holes might be smaller than 2mm so drilling them on a milling machine would not be too onerous.

Is the material curved in two planes, like a mudguard? that would explain why the fenestration does not look to be on the centreline.


Keith Long25/03/2012 22:36:59
758 forum posts
10 photos

Think I'd look VERY seriously at photoetching.


_Paul_25/03/2012 23:47:49
543 forum posts
31 photos

Looks like brass?

I might have made a die block for the flypress perhaps not with all the holes say an inches worth then press index press..... ad infinitum


JasonB26/03/2012 07:27:42
12317 forum posts
1095 photos

The bit of a metric scale in the bottom right makes it easy to see what the size is and how would you drill the rectangular holes on a mill?

Yes I thought brass as well.


Edited By JasonB on 26/03/2012 07:27:59

Ian P26/03/2012 08:29:21
1870 forum posts
78 photos

I was beginning to think I had a different picture to everyone else, then I zoomed in! I am still not quite sure what we are looking at, it could be a bit of brass shim but I'm not sure what the original poster wanted to know.

Reading Neil's post again it seems like he has already made the part, in which case he posed the question as a sort of puzzle or test. It would have been better at the outset if he had said so or at least give us a some details of what we were supposed to be helping with.

I saw the metric(?) scale in the background but without knowing how far back it was it was not easy to see its size relationship to the yellow plate. Some of the holes, which I can now see are rectangular) seem to be only partly formed, or are they blocked with paint?


Ady126/03/2012 08:42:24
3108 forum posts
414 photos

Looks like its about 5cm square x 6cm

2" x 2.5" approx

and it's been fabricated....

My inital thought was wire mesh which has been painted, then blown with compressed air to maintain the holes

...but it looks like it's been fabricated...and the holes have accuracy


It's the sort of pattern you could create on a sheet of soft metal with an industrial sewing machine which was fitted with a square needle


The alternative would be to make up a die punch block of square needles kind of thing, a lot of work for one job.


There seem to be scratches on each side of the mesh block, like it's travelled across something hard so I will go with the sewing machine guess

Edited By Ady1 on 26/03/2012 09:00:51

Ady126/03/2012 09:14:41
3108 forum posts
414 photos

To do it by hand I would clamp a piece of wood on the bottom

Brass in the middle

and wire mesh on the top as a template

Then punch the holes individually with a square awl

Would take a few goes to get it right

NJH26/03/2012 16:51:28
2298 forum posts
139 photos

I would ask Neil

Brian Dickinson26/03/2012 17:55:32
62 forum posts
13 photos

Punch it but make sure the die takes the correct amount of metal otherwise if it take less than its own area you will end up with stretching.



Stub Mandrel26/03/2012 20:29:27
4304 forum posts
292 photos

Like this:

Brian is very right - the unhardened die plate got nibbled avway by the punch... hence distortion.

But by making the spacings one and two turns of the handwheel apart, it wasn't too tedious even with two annealingas and flattenings.

I called upon the spirits of copper-bashing (or at least those of my long-gone grandfather the coppersmith) and ended up with something a bit like this after some planishing:

The flash & polish makes it look worse than it is, but I may try a last anneal and planish. This is what it is meant to look like (yes I know it isn't dead to scale!):

Thing is, when painted will it look better than some wire gauze or mesh? The alternative is, as suggested, etching.


Brian Dickinson26/03/2012 21:10:54
62 forum posts
13 photos

The bits below the running board look like a Hunslet i was watching at Porthmadog yesterday shunting flat trucks onthe new line that crosses the road.


I wanted to measure it up but they said i could not as it was working!


I will have to catch it when there not looking



Edited By Brian Dickinson on 26/03/2012 21:11:14

Cornish Jack27/03/2012 11:13:15
727 forum posts
86 photos

John (Bogs2) - those wheels are, apparently, used for imprinting patterns on cloth for cutting. Presumably available at most haberdashers - if such a thing exists nowadays!!



David Clark 127/03/2012 12:23:20
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Bogstandard2

I do check Avatars.

All are passed if they are non commercial, not Wallace or Gromit or the Tea drinking monkey or similar.

regards David

Edited By David Clark 1 on 27/03/2012 12:23:39

JasonB27/03/2012 12:26:49
12317 forum posts
1095 photos

Looks like you will have to get someone to take of Photo of you and Bandit and use that then Johnwink


JasonB27/03/2012 12:26:57
12317 forum posts
1095 photos

Double post

Edited By JasonB on 27/03/2012 12:27:24

Ian S C27/03/2012 14:04:23
6698 forum posts
219 photos

The wheels with the star points are called tracing wheels, found in dress making equipment shops/departments. I have some (with different tooth spacing) used by leather workers, for marking stich spacing, these are made of much higher quality steel than the tin plate ones used by seamstress's. Do'nt know where, or if you can get these now, the belonged to my Grandfather, and possibly his father before that, they were leather manufacturers in Dunedin NZ up till WW2 when Grandpa retired.

Neil, what do you use under the metal as you punch the holes? Ian S C

Bazyle27/03/2012 17:16:55
3809 forum posts
166 photos

Makes you wonder what prize words the workshop used about the design office when presented with the original drawing. angry

JasonB27/03/2012 17:24:42
12317 forum posts
1095 photos

The wheels for marking leather are still available, this is one of the suppliers I use for woodworking tools but they do leather working as well

Stitch marker

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition