Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Phone Scam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole24/04/2018 18:42:10
1268 forum posts
37 photos

I had a call about the car accident I had a while ago ( haven't had one). I asked if it was the one my wife and children were killed in, uncomfortable silence at other end. A bit harsh I thought and let Him off the hook after a few moments.

Mike

Mike Poole24/04/2018 18:55:20
1268 forum posts
37 photos

Duplicate

Edited By Mike Poole on 24/04/2018 18:57:13

FMES24/04/2018 19:10:39
444 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 24/04/2018 18:42:10:

I had a call about the car accident I had a while ago ( haven't had one). I asked if it was the one my wife and children were killed in, uncomfortable silence at other end. A bit harsh I thought and let Him off the hook after a few moments.

Mike

I had a similar one,

When asked if i sustained any injuries I replied i suffered a decapitation.

'Do you have any lasting trauma' was the next question, to which I replied I had severe migraines, a majorly sore throat and i couldn't feel my feet'

The guy was well into offering me all sorts of compensation advice when he must have realised !!!

*Click*

DMB25/04/2018 09:00:08
774 forum posts

Bandersnatch,

Seems funny that if one is reasonably polte one gets many more nuisance calls but be really offensive and they stop!

ChrisH25/04/2018 10:49:58
749 forum posts
12 photos

My daughter had a only call t'other day saying her computer was being hacked. After a few moments and thankfully without giving anything away she realised it was a scam and hung up.

Next day they tried again. This time she was waiting for them and said "just hold on a moment whilst I get my dictaphone. Please note that this call will be recorded and may be used in training" - (how often have you heard that message?!).

Click.  

And they haven't been back.  She also realised it was the same mob the second time as the patter was identical, even though they said it was another company calling

She did get her computer checked out anyway "just in case" - fortunately it was OK, they hadn't managed to hack into it.

Edited By ChrisH on 25/04/2018 10:51:40

Mike Poole25/04/2018 10:52:29
1268 forum posts
37 photos

Ask them if they mind speakerphone as the office enjoy a bit of entertainment.

Mike

Neil Wyatt25/04/2018 12:27:35
13224 forum posts
571 photos
68 articles

I'm wondering if websites that share scammer's phone numbers might be in breach of the new data protection regs....

Gordon W25/04/2018 14:40:37
1947 forum posts

Public interest ?

Gordon A25/04/2018 15:18:41
121 forum posts
4 photos

On receiving a call of this type a neighbour of mine says, "Just cut the cr*p, let's get to the reason you are calling, would you like my bank details now?" They have no answer to this direct approach and hang up immediately. Hasn't failed yet.

Gordon.

Jon25/04/2018 20:18:38
755 forum posts
40 photos

There used to be public lists from various sources Neil, definately on actionfraud.

Reporting these is more hassle than its worth though action fraud will check in to it and contact you. Most they will do is acknowledge and monitor adding that number to the growing list.
When they contact you they might transfer the details to another gov agency who in turn may repeat the same again. End result cant do a thing about it.

Last one i reported was from a local co in Bilston tracked them down. In short blocked 14 numbers they rang from all forwarded with times and dates to Action Fraud. Waste of 1hr compiling they did nothing depite me almost having a heart attack giving them some. Looked at 7 calls a day 3 days a week for many months, phone could only block 20.

Theres scammers who try and flog you call blockers, some might even send you a cheap call blocker. End result the only people that are authorised are the TPS, register with them.
If on TPS its illegal for any legit business to contact you, so if they do you know theyre up to no good.

Scams get loads daily seen em all, by email and phone been going on for last 18 years.

If answer phone and dont recognise the number or with held, first thing "What you selling" now if its someone ie a customer i have to apologise, if not they get it full on or if cant be arsed put phone down.

Silent calls are to see if its an active number, if it is when you pick up the datas sold on and continually sold on. In the past when was with TT for a brief period - paid to get away 1 scam a day turned in to 7 within a week continually multiplying so get 28 by the end of the month.

Funny one two weeks ago had an email from myself wanting me to click on something. They changed the headers, beware.
Seen it thousands of times from so called banks or reputable businesses but they usuall create another name in front or the real one.

Dave Halford25/04/2018 20:54:14
190 forum posts

If you type these numbers into Google the search results can be very illuminating.

Ken Biddle25/04/2018 23:46:14
9 forum posts

I had a call on my cell phone I did not recognize so I did not answer. They left a voicemail with callback number. It was for an arrest warrant and I needed to pay or be taken to jail. I called them back and heard background of young kids and a voice of a minority individual and when he repeated the same thing I told him it is hard to believe that my police officer partners would let that go by. A second of silence and click. Obviously a beginner and probably needs to work on his scam, I mean really, a callback number?

Howard Lewis28/04/2018 12:15:38
1151 forum posts

This week had a call purporting to come from my internet supplier, telling me that my internet would be terminated that day, and to press 1 to prevent this. Presumably, if I had the call would have cost a lot.

Funny, my internet is still here.

They don't like being told that they are Ambulance chasers, either.

Sometimes when they ask for me by name the response is "Please hold the line while I find him" and very quietly put down the handset and walk away. Eventually they ring off, but it has a) cost them more, and b) kept them off someone else's back for a short time.

If the caller display shows the number, it goes to the UK T P S or the I C O.

The pestilential nuisance is slowly abating, apart from the numbers that are either overseas, or obvious fictional.

Keep wasting their time and P***sing them off!

Howard

martin perman28/04/2018 12:59:51
1177 forum posts
56 photos

Gentlemen,

Whilst reading this thread has been very informative and an interesting read, particularly for looking after my Mother, I sorted this sort of problem plus cold calling by buying a BT call guardian phone system, for the last three years the phone has never been so quiet, yes I still get calls, the numbers appear on the display, but they never get through because the automated calls cant pass the block and spammers obviously loose interest and never give their name etc.

Martin P

Trevor Crossman 128/04/2018 15:11:40
61 forum posts
5 photos

+ 1 for the Bt Call Guardian system. Kills all junk calls dead!

I used to do what several others do/did and waste as much of the scammer's time by pretending to be senile/deaf/short sighted or say '' which computor, I've got 5'' and all the other tomfoolery just to waste the scammers time, but of course there are literally thousands of these ratbags out there and so I got the call blocker system because I do have other things to spend my time on! It can be a bit of a nuisance though for 'innocent' callers who might be encountering the system for the first time,though mine seems to work better than Martin's​ because I also use TPS and only ever get genuine callers. What does annoy me though is Bt's seemingly feeble efforts in stopping these scum in the first place, they own and run the network and surely a modern electronic phone system can identify bulk/ automated calls, after all, computors filter out junk mail? Perhaps it's a sales ploy to get folk to subscribe to Call Guardian and buy phones with call display? Trevor

Michael-w28/04/2018 15:21:30
2013 forum posts
49 photos

"Sir, we're contacting you about a car accident you were involved in the last 6 months"

"Well that's interesting, I don't own a vehicle, please go on"

phone goes dead

yes

Michael W

martin perman28/04/2018 15:21:35
1177 forum posts
56 photos

I have been registered with TPS for years, just checked and still registered.

Martin P

Mick Charity28/04/2018 15:41:06
188 forum posts
4 photos

It strikes me as rather odd that what are totally obvious scams (to the most of us) get talked about, yet the REAL scams go totally unmentionable.

Has no one here ever bought an extended warranty?

What was the APR on that damn mortgage?

Nobody here ever got 'divorced' & discovered how divorce lawyers work?

How did you go on when it came time to buy your annuity with your pension fund?

martin perman28/04/2018 16:11:59
1177 forum posts
56 photos
Posted by Mick Charity on 28/04/2018 15:41:06:

It strikes me as rather odd that what are totally obvious scams (to the most of us) get talked about, yet the REAL scams go totally unmentionable.

Has no one here ever bought an extended warranty?

What was the APR on that damn mortgage?

Nobody here ever got 'divorced' & discovered how divorce lawyers work?

How did you go on when it came time to buy your annuity with your pension fund?

1. No

2. House mine now so not issue

3. Wife wouldn't allow it

4, financial advisor who came FOC as he was contracted by the company I worked for.

Martin P

Stephen Follows28/04/2018 17:16:00
41 forum posts
1 photos

My standard answer is:

Sorry, you've been put through to traffic, hold on I transfer you to fraud. Strangely, they always ring off.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition