Forum sponsored by allandale

emco compact 5 cnc

Need help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Marc McPhee22/04/2018 15:31:35
1 forum posts

Good afternoon people.

I'm hoping some of you may be able to give me some help and guidance, I recently acquired an Emco compact 5 cnc and I don't have a clue where to start on getting it up and running.

It is a mk2 as I can figure, the yellow model with a 6 tool turret and its in good condition, the main reason I got it is to help learn how to program using G-code for work; so I am able to understand the basics with cancycles and how things work and I would like to progress into the programming side.

Do I need an external monitor to maintain tool offsets and where do I purchase one??

How do I write programs and where do I keep them.

Do I use an external monitor for offsets and then use a desktop computer to write programs ?

Would it be cost effective to use retrofit kit and which would be best, as you can see my knowledge is limited and any help would be greatly needed.

kind regards

this dopey docile wannabe

Emgee22/04/2018 17:08:36
775 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Marc

Good place to start will be the Yahoo Groups Emco 5 cnc Forum, when logged in you will be able to download from the Files section FOC an editor program called MFI, Mikes Free Interface, you also need to download the other files in the folder or the editor won't function. use the files from felixdat
The program shows how to write the G code program for operating the Emco cnc lathe,there is a help file included but if you experience problems just ask for help. It caters for MK1/2 and later Mk3/4 lathes, choose the program in Settings to suit your machine. If there are no M codes stated on the lathe frontplate you probably have a Mk1/2.

Link to the Forum. **LINK**

Help on writing a program in MFI is available at Youtube ukmwg channel.

Link to MFI demo  https://youtu.be/OByhZ_XvzGo

Emgee

added 2nd link Edited By Emgee on 22/04/2018 17:11:34

Edited By Emgee on 22/04/2018 17:18:49

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition