By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

ME production problems, delivery problems or Canada post?

Canada post up to its old tricks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Taylor 421/04/2018 03:07:20
14 forum posts

Today I received ME issues 4577 and 4584 . So, for me, ends the saga of long delayed delivery. It would seem the the delivery constipation problem is over for now. The Canadian mail goes through Montreal which is not good.

So relief all round I hope.

One point is that 4577 seems to have been to Hungary and the Czech Republic in search of the most cost effective way to Canada, Could this have contributed to the four months it took to get to me?

If MTM provide me with the date of hand over and any code numbers their mail contractors have for this issue I will check with Canada :Post as to when they claim to have received the consignment.

Hopper21/04/2018 03:38:11
2482 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by David Taylor 4 on 21/04/2018 03:07:20:

One point is that 4577 seems to have been to Hungary and the Czech Republic in search of the most cost effective way to Canada, Could this have contributed to the four months it took to get to me?

Probably not. That's typical of the way millions of items a day of international freight are consolidated in this globalized age.

clivel21/04/2018 18:35:46
252 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by David Taylor 4 on 21/04/2018 03:07:20:

Today I received ME issues 4577 and 4584 . So, for me, ends the saga of long delayed delivery. It would seem the the delivery constipation problem is over for now. The Canadian mail goes through Montreal which is not good.

My 4584 also arrived yesterday, so fresh the ink is still wet, but issues 4576, 4577, 4578 and 4581 (as well as various MEWs, EIMs and other postal items) are still missing in action.

Hearing that your 4577 arrived 4 months after posting gives me hope that my missing mail will also eventually make the arduous journey over the Rockies from a warehouse in Montreal.

Clive

Raymond Sanderson 222/04/2018 05:19:17
402 forum posts
113 photos

How about digital delivery problems the latest MEW had 3 pages refuse to download had to archive it 3 times before it finally downloaded the lot.

I have heard mail delivery during winter in Canada can come to a halt Posties don't wan't to get out of bed and go trudging in snow @ -20C and 3 ft deep snow Seeing as winter is almost 6 months of the year there no wonder mags take ages to reach the front door.

Meunier22/04/2018 20:27:07
107 forum posts

Canada post problems are not restricted to magazines. I use a vaping supplies company in HongKong and their customer forum has a separate sub-forum for Canadian vapers to save filling out the main forum with delivery queries/complaints. Seems to have one common factor there. (even allowing for any extra delays with Canadian Customs)
DaveD

clivel24/04/2018 20:03:20
252 forum posts
10 photos

A large brown envelope arrived today. Sent via Royal Mail directly to Canada without stopping in Budapest, Brussels, or even Bolivia it took a mere six weeks to get here.

Clearly someone at Canada Post must have been paying attention to the large "International Priority Mail" sticker on the front which probably explains why it didn't adhere to the new "Canada Post standard of excellence" of 4 months which is how long ME issue 4577 languished in a Montreal warehouse before also being delivered to me today.

Inside the envelope I was pleased to find replacements for issues 4576,4577,4578 and 4579. Thank you MTM. I am grateful to receive them but I do find it galling that MTM have had to take responsibility for the expense and inconvenience of making good on what is without a doubt a problem at Canada Post.

That being said, I am now the proud owner of duplicates of #4577 and #4579. I would be happy to send them to anyone still missing either of these issues on a first come basis. Please contact me via PM if interested.

Clive

Jeff Dayman24/04/2018 20:29:03
1172 forum posts
29 photos
Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 22/04/2018 05:19:17:

How about digital delivery problems the latest MEW had 3 pages refuse to download had to archive it 3 times before it finally downloaded the lot.

I have heard mail delivery during winter in Canada can come to a halt Posties don't wan't to get out of bed and go trudging in snow @ -20C and 3 ft deep snow Seeing as winter is almost 6 months of the year there no wonder mags take ages to reach the front door.

Where do you get your information about Canada?

Weather, temps and driving / walking conditions vary widely in different provinces. Winter is much colder and more severe as you go North approaching the arctic circle, but in southern regions of the provinces, closer to the US border, where millions of people live, winter is NOT 6 months of the year, and in winter in southern regions it's rare to have a snowfall more than ten or fifteen inches at a time, and people generally clear their snow where there is mail delivery. Yes, there can be harsh conditions periodically, and in the North, weather can be extreme. Generalizations about Canada are just as prone to error as generalizations about any country or continent.

Perhaps a look into Google or Wikipedia would be helpful to understand a bit more about weather related conditions in Canada. For example in Toronto Ontario Canada, most years, temperatures range from -25 deg C in winter to +30 deg C in summer. Snow and bad weather in winter generally start in mid November and finish in late February, but there are usually many mild days in November and February. 

Edited By Jeff Dayman on 24/04/2018 20:35:45

Donald Hill24/04/2018 21:27:03
13 forum posts

Hey Jeff, why did you let information out?

Now everyone will want to come here.

Maybe that's good, they can always help shovel the snow.

Raymond Sanderson 224/04/2018 22:03:04
402 forum posts
113 photos

Jeff I was just skitting

John Alexander Stewart24/04/2018 22:19:22
702 forum posts
51 photos

Errr - Jeff Dayman has a HUGE sense of humour. Lets get the facts straight.

- Canada is cold, frigid, and one is prone to get mauled by bears, cougars, or even worse. By "cougars" I don't mean "slightly older single females", I mean the 4-pawed variety.

- Plumbing is not like in Britain; getting frozen to the toilet seat in the outhouse is a common occurrence, and is one that reduces both kitchen and workshop productivity greatly.

- The modern electric light only works when electricity works (and, your house has been wired for "the electric light"

- Everyone's related to everyone else. My brother-in-law Jeff (not my other brother -in-law Jeff, I mean the one who is a Model Engineer) has the typical "if you are on a sinking ship, make a joke" sense of humour. I Ignore him.

- Model Engineering is a lost cause. Everybody is taught metric measurements, but ALL material comes from the USA and metric is just not possible. Overheard a millennial telling another that "a letter Q drill is what Q says to James Bond in the movies when he touches all the neat gadgets".

- the post delivery system is by horseback. Makes walking on the roads (dirt, or corduroy log roads) difficult.

- there are incredibly few 5" gauge tracks around; (can think of 3 at the moment) a couple more 7-1/4 tracks, but these are mainly in the (frozen) east side of Canada.

So, nope, not worth even thinking about visiting or moving to Canada.

Raymond Sanderson 224/04/2018 22:19:42
402 forum posts
113 photos

Back to the digital matter again I also with the last 3 issues Me & MEW have had pages refuse to download archived one a few times till finally it all down loaded.

Raymond Sanderson 224/04/2018 22:25:03
402 forum posts
113 photos

Alexander you left out lack of beaches I've yet to see a Canadian in a Bikini at a beach.

Hopper25/04/2018 00:57:45
2482 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 24/04/2018 22:25:03:

Alexander you left out lack of beaches I've yet to see a Canadian in a Bikini at a beach.

You should come to Cairns.

Bandersnatch25/04/2018 22:38:38
992 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 24/04/2018 22:25:03:

They cover up with their bearskin coats to stay out of the cold sun.

David Taylor 427/04/2018 19:47:09
14 forum posts

Received today by individual "brown bag" issues 4577 and 4579. Sent International Priority mail. 12th March 2018 mailing date, 19th March customs declaration date.

The copies which were dispatched originally have already arrived , (recently) so these are spare. Any one still in need is welcome to them.

John Purdy27/04/2018 20:02:28
107 forum posts
35 photos

Bumper crop in this AM's mail. ME's 4578, 4581, MEW's 267 and in a brown envelope MEW 264 via Royal Mail post dated 18 Apr. Guess there's hope yet! I'm now convinced that the problem has been with our great postal service all along, not My Time Media as I originally thought.

Bandersnatch01/05/2018 22:34:17
992 forum posts
38 photos

Another datum point in the demise of Canada Post:

A few week ago I ordered a book from Tee Publishing in the UK - duly sent on April 13.

Yesterday I had an email from Tee Publishing saying:

"We sent your package on the 13th April, yet have had it returned to us stating the address was incomplete, please confirm your address so we can try and get this to you"

I confirmed the address and asked which carrier (Royal Mail or Canada Post) returned the package.

I had another email from Tee this morning saying that the address confirmation was exactly as used on the package and that it was Canada Post who had said it was "incomplete" and returned it.

Just to clarify, my city (Mississauga) is the 6th largest city in Canada, it's name is pretty much recognised nation-wide and the postal code, which was included, is alone enough to identify the destination within half a block on one side of the street (the local postie could actually manage from there).

Hopper02/05/2018 00:01:20
2482 forum posts
38 photos

Sounds like the postie does not like carrying heavy books. Or was in too much of a hurry to stop and drop it off to you.

Similar things have been reported here , and captured on CCTV, where Australia Post parcel delivery contractors are held to such tight schedules and large workload that they don't bother knocking on the door to get a parcel signed for. They just stick the form in the letterbox saying nobody was home so come down to the local post office tomorrow to pick up your parcel. It saves them time and effort.

clivel02/05/2018 00:23:32
252 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Bandersnatch on 01/05/2018 22:34:17:I had another email from Tee this morning saying that the address confirmation was exactly as used on the package and that it was Canada Post who had said it was "incomplete" and returned it.

Just to clarify, my city (Mississauga) is the 6th largest city in Canada, it's name is pretty much recognised nation-wide and the postal code, which was included, is alone enough to identify the destination within half a block on one side of the street (the local postie could actually manage from there).

During the last few days I have received a few items of mail some of which was mailed in December and January. This had me wondering what sort of storage facilities Canada Post must have to store such an enormous backlog.

I guess that by now the storage must be filled to overflowing which could explain why your book was returned to sender on the pretext that it is incorrectly addressed.

Clive

Bandersnatch02/05/2018 01:52:10
992 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Hopper on 02/05/2018 00:01:20:

Sounds like the postie does not like carrying heavy books. Or was in too much of a hurry to stop and drop it off to you.

Similar things have been reported here , and captured on CCTV, where Australia Post parcel delivery contractors are held to such tight schedules and large workload that they don't bother knocking on the door to get a parcel signed for. They just stick the form in the letterbox saying nobody was home so come down to the local post office tomorrow to pick up your parcel. It saves them time and effort.

It was a small book - not that heavy and the posties around this area have it made. They get a large van each and can actually drive from door to door with the mail. In fact, they do that for parcels of any size but going to each house in the van for regular letter mail takes too long so they park on the street and walk up one side and down the other). The card in the mailbox trick (we tried to deliver ..... pick up at your local PO) is frequently used here too.

(I've seen the postie sitting in the van on the street staring into space or playing with his (her) phone for 15 min on several occasions so I don't think they are "held to a tight schedule".

Edited By Bandersnatch on 02/05/2018 01:54:30

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition