Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What did you do Today 2018

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Longley 118/04/2018 20:22:21
627 forum posts
24 photos

Would I be correct in saying that water companies do not allow their use in new installations anymore?

Neil Wyatt18/04/2018 20:51:29
13204 forum posts
571 photos
68 articles
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 18/04/2018 20:22:21:

Would I be correct in saying that water companies do not allow their use in new installations anymore?

No, apparently WRAS ones are OK anywhere , but cheap ones have caused legionella outbreaks in hospitals!

These day every mixer tap is supplied with a pair.

I fitted the one in the photo, only about four years ago. It wasn't under any stress, the olive at the bottom was fitted to a short length of 15mm pipe then pushed into a speedfit T, so definitely not twisted or damaged.

I think Joseph is right, the braid probably wasn't fully in the ferrule.

The web has plenty of horror stories.

Neil

Bill Phinn18/04/2018 22:54:34
37 forum posts
1 photos

Posted by Bill Phinn on 18/04/2018 20:20:18:

Ian, I'd say the steel braid was mechanically damaged a long time ago

Sorry, I meant Neil. And I assumed, wrongly, that poor workmanship and by someone other than you, was to blame.

Neil Wyatt18/04/2018 22:58:31
13204 forum posts
571 photos
68 articles
Posted by Bill Phinn on 18/04/2018 22:54:34:

Posted by Bill Phinn on 18/04/2018 20:20:18:

Ian, I'd say the steel braid was mechanically damaged a long time ago

Sorry, I meant Neil. And I assumed, wrongly, that poor workmanship and by someone other than you, was to blame.

Not a rash assumption with me involved

Simon Collier19/04/2018 08:55:13
207 forum posts
28 photos

I have been making my tender kit for my Springbok which I bought years ago from Model Engineer's Laser. I am finding it very difficult despite the supposedly easy tab and slot construction. I have not made brass fabrications before so have no specific experience. Soft soldering is horrible. Give me a boiler and some Easyflow anyday! Even when heating a small area and not being at all greedy, the panels buckle and bend, with the soft solder grabbing once the piece is out of position! So I am now using a lot more screws and angle than I had hoped, and clamping flat bars across panels where possible before soldering a section. Cleaning up will be a hell of a job, I have a lot of screw heads to Dremel off, and car body filler will be required! It is a shame there is not a constructional video on the MEL website. I can't find any instructions at all in fact on the site.

A friend who is very experienced ended up cutting off the tabs on his Maisie tender kit and using angle in the traditional way after becoming frustrated with the kit.

Neil Wyatt19/04/2018 09:47:48
13204 forum posts
571 photos
68 articles

You would be better off with a large soldering iron for joining brass in that way.

Alternatively a 'cook's blowtorch' can be used for intense local heat, that's how I assembled the running boards for my loco.

Simon Collier19/04/2018 10:44:44
207 forum posts
28 photos

Copper wedge type or electric? I have an 80 W iron for lead lighting. I am using my Benzomatic MAPP gas torch turned as low as it will go. You can turn it upside down, unlike my small Primus propane cylinder. There is a big mass of brass now.

David Taylor19/04/2018 10:53:56
88 forum posts
11 photos

Neil - Yikes! Sounds like it caused a lot of damage

Simon - I have similar trouble soldering 1.5mm brass tender parts. I riveted the sides and ends to the base, but soft-soldered the water outlets to the base and buckled it so it doesn't sit flat on the frames any more. I have no idea how to do it properly but I know your frustration.

The footings for the workshop have been poured and are awaiting frames and bricks.

Neil Wyatt19/04/2018 11:15:51
13204 forum posts
571 photos
68 articles
Posted by Simon Collier on 19/04/2018 10:44:44:

Copper wedge type or electric? I have an 80 W iron for lead lighting. I am using my Benzomatic MAPP gas torch turned as low as it will go. You can turn it upside down, unlike my small Primus propane cylinder. There is a big mass of brass now.

80W is probably a minimum.

The cooks torches have a very hot flame but very thin and long, use as you would oxy to provide to a small object.

Tomfilery19/04/2018 11:34:42
86 forum posts
4 photos

For Colin H,

Apologies for the delay in responding, but yes it is a right hand thread, so anticlockwise to release and raise the tool.

Regards Tom

Ian S C19/04/2018 11:52:47
6742 forum posts
223 photos

For most jobs like yours I have three copper soldering irons about 1kg each, or for smaller stuff a 175W Weller electric iron. The idea is to get the area up to heat as fast as possible, and using a big iron of any sort give you a large reserve of heat.

Ian S C

Simon Collier19/04/2018 12:58:20
207 forum posts
28 photos

Soldering my water outlets caused the base to bend convex from side to side. I eventually solved the problem by clamping it flat and soldering on the baffles which then held it flat. All very stressful and plenty of opportunities for disaster left. It is four steps forward, three steps back type of job.

John Alexander Stewart19/04/2018 13:14:34
702 forum posts
51 photos

Well, so far today,

1) Took the dog for a morning stroll. A bit of snow falling, but our yard is almost free of the winter snows, maybe by this weekend, or next, the last of the winter snow will be behind us.

2) Listening to Radio 2 in the Netherlands. Summer there, the announcer said 30 degrees, over 31 degrees warmer than here!

3) Wondered (again) why we live here?

Oh well, off to work...

Colin Heseltine19/04/2018 22:19:18
154 forum posts
34 photos

Tom (tomfilery),

Many thanks for that. At least I now know I wont be attempting to tighten it further.

I will give it another dose of lubricant and keep my fingers crossed.

Colin

Michael Gilligan20/04/2018 10:13:01
10964 forum posts
474 photos

Just read this: **LINK**

https://news.sky.com/story/lance-armstrong-agrees-multi-million-dollar-fraud-settlement-11338517

Betsy Andreu sums it up perfectly star

MichaelG.

David Standing 120/04/2018 10:18:25
977 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 20/04/2018 10:13:01:

Just read this: **LINK**

https://news.sky.com/story/lance-armstrong-agrees-multi-million-dollar-fraud-settlement-11338517

Betsy Andreu sums it up perfectly star

MichaelG.

I saw that posted elsewhere earlier, and thought it was spot on.

Just as well cycle races were signposted, as Armstrong had no moral compass.

Everything with him is always someone else's fault.

And I speak as a cyclist that was an Armstrong fan in the day, before the truth all came out.

Raymond Sanderson 222/04/2018 05:49:31
402 forum posts
113 photos

Yesterday really other than go check out the Ektrakleen Mill while there I picked up some 100+ ME magazines 1994 to 2001 a wee bit of reading to do.

Andrew Johnston22/04/2018 17:25:05
3727 forum posts
452 photos

Been machining plastic boxes for work most of today. I hate plastic boxes! If you don't clamp them down they move; and if you do clamp down they distort. Still at least I didn't get my finger tangled up with the cutter this time, like I did last week. embarrassed There's an object lesson there, don't do things in a rush just to meet a deadline. Could have been very nasty if my finger had been dragged between the cutter and box. About midday I saw a Harvard fly over the bungalow.

It's rained a bit this afternoon, so no point in cutting the grass. thumbs up Instead I was putting out the canes for the climbing beans and planting the broad beans when a Spitfire flew over. It did a complete circle of the bungalow at about 700ft with around 30° of bank and quite slow. Beautiful, that's made my day.

After I've cooked and eaten supper I'm going to see if I can get my "flycutter" finished and start setting up the traction engine chimney bases and perch brackets.

Andrew

Sam Longley 122/04/2018 19:20:58
627 forum posts
24 photos

Yesterday I spent 2 hours sitting in a bosuns chair 15 metres up the top of the mast of my boat fitting the wind vane. As i was doing it a large bumble bee flew by.

No it did not stop for a chat & it is not the start of a joke- sorry!!!

I know that the forum has a few bee keepers & i have noticed this year a surprising number of large bees . They are not the sort of wild bees that one usually sees but large black ones.

Does this mean that the bee population is making a come back? or are they really just wild bees looking for somewhere to nest & then die later in the season. I have had to chase at least 5 out of my shed in the last 10 days alone & several of my friends have commented on how many there are.

not done it yet22/04/2018 20:13:00
1721 forum posts
11 photos

It really means it was a good late summer/ autumn last year. Lots of queens mated and safely into hibernation.

They are all out now and looking to found a new nest. Sheds are often attractive sites, or it may be the same queen has already started to lay her first offspring

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition