Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

English dialect

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tractionengine4214/09/2017 07:45:44
320 forum posts
76 photos

As a Northumbrian a part that is within a Midgy's nif naf is good enough most of the time.

Martin Kyte14/09/2017 08:48:49
1107 forum posts
9 photos

The inspection department wish to know which species of gnat ?

Martin

Fowlers Fury14/09/2017 10:41:45
103 forum posts
24 photos

"The inspection department wish to know which species of gnat ?"

How typical of 'em sad

Perhaps you could refer the department to that incontrovertible source of all wisdom - Wikipedia - which states "Gnat is a loose descriptive category rather than a phylogenetic or other technical term, so there is no scientific consensus on what constitutes a gnat."

The corollary of which, one must presume, is that there is no scientific consensus of what constitutes a gnat's cock.

Ah well, back to the calipers and slide rule.....................

Michael Gilligan14/09/2017 10:53:40
10180 forum posts
441 photos

smiley

Brian G14/09/2017 12:59:03
148 forum posts
2 photos

As long as the quality manager can produce certification showing that the gnat's cock can be traced back to the International Standard Gnat at the BIPM I don't have a problem - I am no longer a quality manager wink

Incidentally, is the expression "made a right cod's of that" local to Kent or nationwide?

Brian

Mick B114/09/2017 15:10:50
179 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 14/09/2017 10:41:45:

The corollary of which, one must presume, is that there is no scientific consensus of what constitutes a gnat's cock.

Which is why its conversion factor to some verifiable UoM makes it useful in assessment of a workshop's or section's approximate standard of precision.

Long may it remain so, and attempts to fix it should be energetically resisted...

Cornish Jack14/09/2017 15:59:56
638 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Brian G on 14/09/2017 12:59:03:

Incidentally, is the expression "made a right cod's of that" local to Kent or nationwide?

Brian

Is 'cod's' not a diminutive of 'codswallop' ? ... known as far afield as Kernow -as we 'Janners' call it. winkwink

Personally, my measure of accuracy derives from 35+ years of Auntie Betty's Flying Club - "Close enough for Government work"wink 2

rgds

Bill

HasBean14/09/2017 18:37:37
120 forum posts
27 photos

Having just returned from taking my daughter to university the people in the Premier Inn we were staying in and the Beefeater next door (excellent steaks by the way) were really confused by my Jersey accent and the fact that I also throw in Jerrriais and French while I speak, just the way it is. As it happened a lot of the staff were were uni students just about to to go back to their respective studies and found it quite interesting to chat about it.

Paul

Edited By HasBean on 14/09/2017 18:39:28

Edited By HasBean on 14/09/2017 18:40:13

Andrew Tinsley14/09/2017 18:43:29
575 forum posts

Strange I never heard the expression scunt. However I lived about 3 miles from Cradley Heath and I could not understand the locals there!

Andrew.

Meunier14/09/2017 19:47:43
57 forum posts
Posted by Brian G on 13/09/2017 21:03:41:

...... As a result he and his comrades just brushed 'gnats' aside whilst on the lookout for mosquitoes the size of dragonflies.

Brian

Images for how to identify female anopheles mosquito

perhaps this would have helped his recognition but not much use to anyone here using the most precise units of measurement !
DaveD

Breva15/09/2017 00:47:49
68 forum posts
11 photos

My late father who was raised in Motherwell had quite a few descriptive phrases in his vocabulary that originated from the work that he and his father did in the Lanarkshire Mills in the 1920s. Eg. if the materials at hand for a particular job were of a poor quality he would refer to the inferior materials as being a poor scantling of....

His name for an awl was a mennie.

Some of the more colourful descriptions he bought back with him were of people he met. Among those were descriptions of people who had : a nose like a gimlet, shoulders like a lemonade bottle, or a face that would turn a funeral.

Then the PC cops arrived and we all got to speak real proper.

Nick Hulme16/09/2017 20:19:26
383 forum posts
18 photos

I always liked the term for a loose fit - "Worm in a Bucket"

Chris Evans 616/09/2017 20:47:41
994 forum posts

"Loose fit" working with a succession of Black Country lads that would be a "Cock in a Sock"

Andy Holdaway16/09/2017 21:12:43
147 forum posts
14 photos

The only time I heard the word scunt was by a Worcester boat builder to denote something not properly aligned, or "on the pi$$".

Andrew Tinsley - I worked in Cradley Heath for a number of years, and found the only way to understand shopkeepers was to carefully monitor the facial expression. It didn't always work!

Andy

Neil Wyatt17/09/2017 09:58:12
11595 forum posts
531 photos
63 articles

I got pretty good at unnerstannin' Black Country talk, but there's a huge variation in accents across the area.

cybermetrics.wlv.ac.uk/blackcountrytranslation.php

Eugene17/09/2017 11:52:09
98 forum posts
2 photos

"On the scunt" was common enough usage in the factories around Smethwick when I was a young man.

In similar vein we had "rough as a bear's a**e", and "sticking out like a bulldog's b******s". An easy sliding fit was "Like the skin orf a donkey's d**k".

I did say we were common! wink 2

Eug

Edited By Eugene on 17/09/2017 11:53:02

Stuart Bridger17/09/2017 12:21:03
199 forum posts
12 photos

Another term for a loose fit. "rattling around like a wotsit in a shirtsleeve"

Andrew Tinsley17/09/2017 12:52:01
575 forum posts

Thank goodness I was not the only one who could not understand the Cradley Heath dialect. I believe that a lot of it was in fact old English, according to a Birmingham University philologist who published at least one paper on the dialect.

A common phrase for someone from Cradley Heath was "Strong in the arm and weak in the head". I think this was because the community was rather enclosed and probably interbred. Quite why this was so, is a bit of a mystery, but it would explain the incomprehensible dialect!

I too lived in Smethwick, so I am amazed that I never heard the term "scunt". Maybe something to do with me going to grammar school and "lernin' to talk and spel proper!".

Apologies to anyone hailing from Cradley Heath. No disrespect to you, just quoyting some widely held views from the Black Country!

Strange, but I can no longer do a proper Black Country accent. However I can do a Birmingham accent, which is very different. I am rather sad that my native dialect and accent elude me. I do like the regional differences in speech and am somewhat ashamed that I now speak BBC English.

Andrew.

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 17/09/2017 12:53:26

OuBallie17/09/2017 13:15:01
1049 forum posts
594 photos
Posted by Robert Dodds on 13/09/2017 21:46:27:

As a North Midlander I recognise the "skunt" as a term for skewness but I also have come across those from Rose country who might refer to "Not wreck t' th ay"
In terms of scale, which is the greater, a gnats cock or a smidgin?
Can anyone elaborate on the difference between a Timper and a Spelcher?
I know that if it only a smidgeon out you can put it right with a Timper but big ones need a Spelcher to shift them
In the more refined Enginnering Shops the faulty part might be known as a cobble or clanger and finish up being "chucked on the shawd ruck" along with any other dingers.
Up and down the country there are many different dialects and workshops within each. They pick up words that associate with the particular industry or craft of the area and are meaningful there.
Its what makes the English language so colourful. Long may it last!

Bob D

Together with the regional accents!

Geoff - Foot 99% healed by the feel of it!

Brian Wood17/09/2017 13:52:44
1254 forum posts
34 photos

Two Derbyshire expressions I learned to live with were:-

'' Strong in't arm and wake in't 'ead" which is a corruption of the expression used at Cradley Heath

The other was " Nowt a pound and bump in weight " to describe a real dummy, the reference to scales being obvious

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Merdienne London Show 2018
Expo Tools July 14
Reeves 2000
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition