Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Making a spindle

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sean logie13/09/2017 09:38:29
380 forum posts
30 photos
I'm looking for some ideas on how to make myself a spindle . I'm planning to try and make a simple vertical for the the Centec 2 . I have a couple of taper roller bearing that would work nicely ,the spindle would have a mt2 taper so I can use the tooling I have already ,probably not the best but it's what I have . I need to keep everything as compact as possible.I'm planning a tread mill motor for the drive along with a speed controller of some sort.

Any ideas?

Sean

Edited By sean logie on 13/09/2017 09:39:29

John Haine13/09/2017 09:51:43
1501 forum posts
89 photos

There's a book by Harprit Sandhu no. 27 in the workshop practice series all about spindles and Chapter 13 describes exactly what you want.

Ian S C13/09/2017 10:12:55
6351 forum posts
211 photos

If you are lucky you might get the speed control from the tread mill.

Ian S C

sean logie13/09/2017 11:28:46
380 forum posts
30 photos
That's what I'm hoping for Ian

Sean
Roderick Jenkins13/09/2017 13:56:56
1399 forum posts
338 photos

Again, from my Sharp mill, this is the vertical spindle dis-assembled:

m4.jpg

Very simple but robust. The thread on the nose is Myford 1 1/8" x 12. Not relevant to you I should imagine. The bulk of the shaft is 1" OD, slightly relieved in the middle. The bearings are 1" id and are a sliding fit on the spindle, the 2" OD bearing shells are a press fit in the cast iron head. The shaft is retained by the collar which can just be seen on the left, this has a fine-ish thread and is split but can be tightened with a socket screw to close up the split. The thread on the shaft is hidden in the picture by the right hand bearing. The spindle is bored through and has a No.2 Morse taper. The spindle is not hardened, consequently, taper tooling can become very tight and require significant bashing to release (hence the dis-assembly and bearing change). I would advise incorporating some sort of alternative release mechanism if going down the Morse taper route.

HTH,

Rod

sean logie14/09/2017 20:34:13
380 forum posts
30 photos
Would a tread mill motor have enough torque for milling .

Sean

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer!

Find Model Engineers' Workshop!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
PaulTheCad
Reeves 2000
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition