Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Spiritburners

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mick H09/08/2017 08:26:23
567 forum posts
12 photos

Matthew......I have experimented with metal wicks, principally fine copper wire harvested from wiring looms and made into bundles. They do work but I was never really happy with them mainly because they tended to fall out of the burner tube if it was turned upside down for maintenance/adjustment etc. No big deal I suppose and I am sure that it could be overcome .....and they didn't burn away either. As for wire wool, I reckon that it might burn away quickly....as an experiment put a bundle of wire wool in front of a gas burner and see what happens. If the wire wool is fine enough it will actually catch alight. Andrew is correct in saying that fibreglass wicks can melt at the ends and this means tiresome replacement at short intervals. As regards ceramic fibre, I have found that this also burns away after a short while. Since discovering carbon fibre wicks I have not looked back. The only supplier that I know of is Just the Ticket Model Engineering Supplies but doubtless there are others. Good luck with the shroud.....I think that you will find it makes a significant difference.

Mick

Ian S C09/08/2017 17:55:05
6287 forum posts
206 photos

I would suggest iron, or stainless wire instead of copper. (1) The copper will oxidize fairly quickly, and crumble. (2) Copper conducts the heat away from where it is needed.

The wick tubes should also be steel, or stainless for the same reason of conductivity.

Ian S C

mick H09/08/2017 20:43:54
567 forum posts
12 photos

Good point regarding the conductivity of copper. I only experimented with it briefly because of the reasons previously given. I have found another source of carbon fibre (Easy Composites) who do a woven tubular range which look ideal for wicks and not quite as wayward as the normal matting. I have ordered some and look forward to trying it out on my new build.

Mick

Vic09/08/2017 21:53:02
1260 forum posts

Industrial meths is 99% ethanol and should burn hotter and cleaner if you can get it.

David Paterson 410/08/2017 00:18:06
83 forum posts
8 photos

or, don't use a wick.

There is an old edgar westbury article on using vaporising burners around (I only have a scan copy - PM if you want it.

I have a meths-fired verticle boiler I designed a vaporising burner for and got working on second attempt. It uses a small wick to preheat the burner by means of a spider above the flame Sorry I cant find any pictures, and then when hot all of the heat is from a 'donut' of 1mm vent holes. generates many times the flame area of 3*1/4" wicks on my first trial system.

I do have to support the draught while the whole thing heats up. given this only gets used in the shed, I tend to just warm up the flue with the torch for about 30 seconds which creates enough draught to support the flame - if I was to use indoors I would need a fan or some sort.

Metatsteam112/08/2017 19:56:43
35 forum posts
9 photos

Hi David

I sent you a pm

Matt

duncan webster12/08/2017 21:01:38
1077 forum posts
21 photos

There is a backpackers stoive which burns meths, doesn't appear to have a wick at all, see

**LINK**

martin perman12/08/2017 21:09:07
976 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 12/08/2017 21:01:38:

There is a backpackers stoive which burns meths, doesn't appear to have a wick at all, see

**LINK**

I collect camping stoves and I have several from the 40s/50s which you describe, they look like paint tins and could be bought from Woolworths. If I remember I will take a photograph of one in the morning.

Martin P

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
PaulTheCad
Reeves 2000
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition