3D Printer Test Piece

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt05/07/2017 18:58:23
10376 forum posts
488 photos
59 articles
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 05/07/2017 10:19:25:

I use TinkerCad which is very easy to get to grips with, primarily for geometric shapes. I'm looking for a "better" 3D modeling tool and I need to upskill too

Cura seems to be very effective at repairing broken meshes.

There's also a microsoft site where you can upload a broken file and download it as a repaired one.

Neil

Ian Skeldon 205/07/2017 21:13:52
68 forum posts
7 photos

Thank you chaps. now got 30 days to get to grips with fusion 360, will let you know how I get on in a few weeks time, sooner if I make any breakthroughs.

Ian

Cyril Bonnett05/07/2017 23:48:01
217 forum posts
1 photos

Be careful when using Acetone, I have used it and MEK for repairing fairing and bumpers in the past.

Both are very flammable, use in VERY well ventilated areas and wear protection.

Both carry the following warnings!

DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. VAPOR MAY CAUSE FLASH FIRE. HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.

Gary Wooding06/07/2017 07:26:58
375 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 05/07/2017 21:13:52:

Thank you chaps. now got 30 days to get to grips with fusion 360, will let you know how I get on in a few weeks time, sooner if I make any breakthroughs.

I found an interesting Youtube channel for learning Fusion. Here's a sample. It takes you step-by-step through creating small bite-sized 3D drawings.

Neil Wyatt06/07/2017 07:42:11
10376 forum posts
488 photos
59 articles

Acetone is much safer than MEK. Think nail varnish remover, but please don't go drinking it.

Neil

Andy Carruthers15/07/2017 18:24:48
25 forum posts
8 photos

CEL Robox finest print setting straight from the bed

img_1660.jpg

Neil Wyatt15/07/2017 19:53:28
10376 forum posts
488 photos
59 articles
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 15/07/2017 18:24:48:

CEL Robox finest print setting straight from the bed

img_1660.jpg

Benchy should print without support, should be much cleaner done without it.

Neil

Andy Carruthers16/07/2017 07:10:57
25 forum posts
8 photos

Here you go!

Force of habit using support material - too many failed prints otherwise

img_1666.jpg

img_1667.jpg

img_1668.jpg

img_1669.jpg

Neil Lickfold16/07/2017 08:26:44
312 forum posts
44 photos

My son does test pieces to establish the shrinkage is xyz, then makes the correction to the model and away they go. Sometimes they in ways that don't seem the way initially. They do this to get the unseen side is often the side that is down and has support material etc, the seen side is the top face or the seen side. The finished products look fairy good. They use an UPbox printer and have made their own material feeder, it keeps track of how much filament is used and can see before they print if there is enough filament or not.

Neil

Neil Wyatt16/07/2017 10:13:07
10376 forum posts
488 photos
59 articles

Yesterday I stared a reel of filament off e+Bay, only £11 because it is 'baby blue', but ideal for a job I'm doing.

I think the results are 'almost perfect prints', without close examination they look like injection moulded parts, no stringing or distortion. But they aren't to challenging, now printing some parts with large overhanging pipes, taht will be the real test.

@Andy, I wonder what is causing that rough surface texture in some places and not others. Try measuring your filament, if it's oversize it may be over-extruding.

Andy Carruthers17/07/2017 12:25:04
25 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks Neil, I'll have a look - am using up stock ABS from CEL but they admit theirs is not the best, ColorFABB is higher grade and I see from CEL website they are offering techABS low shrinkage now - ever changing!

When I acquire a Polysher I'll change filament accordingly - may be a couple of months away yet

Neil Wyatt21/07/2017 16:13:34
10376 forum posts
488 photos
59 articles

Started having an intractable problem over the last week, gradually getting worse... patches of over extrusion, typically on small sections near big ones, or after complex bits of outer skin.

I think I have found the issue, my 0.4 nozzle is worn to at least 0.6mm! I'm sure it hasn't lasted as long as the previous one.

Not sure of the 'mechanism' but it will be interesting to see if a replacement nozzle improves things.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
PaulTheCad
Allendale Electronics
Reeves 2000
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition