Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Stanley Knife Blades

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Crow19/05/2017 17:57:42
15 forum posts
4 photos

On occasion, I've used old Stanley knife blades to make filing guides and gauges. After annealing on the gas cooker, they can be filed and drilled with ease.

I've enclosed some pictures of 2 pieces temp riveted either side of 6 x 2mm brass flat for filing.stanley01.jpg

stanley02.jpg

stanley03.jpg

My question is, does anyone know if they are a simple high-carbon steel or something more exotic? Can I harden and temper them?

Also, does any one know of any other frugal sources for flat high carbon steel? Preferably something a bit bigger and thicker than Stanley?

Cheers

Steve

Bazyle19/05/2017 18:08:51
3287 forum posts
152 photos

That's a good idea.

How about 'disposable' hand saws as now standard on building sites.

Neil Wyatt19/05/2017 18:35:44
10103 forum posts
481 photos
59 articles

If you can anneal them like that, you should also be able to harden them.

I like the Wickes bi-metal ones, cheap and they keep an edge longer, even on carpet.

Bob Stevenson19/05/2017 19:02:51
158 forum posts

The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that it's now made from laminated steel and intended for throw-away when blunt. This has now extended to the cheap panel saws available from Wickes and similar....they cut really well but cannot be properly re-sharpened more than just alight 'touch-up' before the softer steel core is reached.

It is possible to buy 'ground flat stock', or 'guage plate' in quite thin section and I have some that is only about 1mm thick. Another good source of carbon steel is in old circular saw blades (without brazed in teeth/cutters) These can be cut using a small angle grinder with suitable disc, or a dremel and disc, and the pieces then annealed if neccessary. Remeber that the pieces WILL be softened at the cuts if the metal changes colour..this can avoided by frequent dipping in cold water during cutting.

stevetee19/05/2017 19:20:27
122 forum posts
13 photos

Leaf spring off an old car , next to nothing at a scrap yard.

Edited By stevetee on 19/05/2017 19:20:45

clogs19/05/2017 20:58:30
256 forum posts
12 photos

Steve tee,

the only thing I get cheap from the scrap yard is oily muddy boot's.......hahaha....clogs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
emcomachinetools
Reeves 2000
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition