By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

Leadscrew nuts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Simpson 116/02/2017 19:50:41
39 forum posts

My Tom Senior Light vertical suffers for a 2.5mm backlash on the Y axis, does anybody know who / where I could get a new leadscrew nut manufactured ? I could fit a DRO but would like get the backlash down to more tolerable levels.

John Chapman 516/02/2017 20:10:50
7 forum posts
6 photos

My Tom Senior needed a nut purchased a couple of nuts from Roton in the states PM I might have a spare nut.

John

Mike Poole16/02/2017 20:22:41
798 forum posts
25 photos

Is there really 2.5mm of backlash in the nut or is there some other part that is loose like the nut or screw mountings letting things float around a bit?

Mike

Peter Simpson 116/02/2017 20:33:28
39 forum posts

Hi Mike,

I'm sure the 2.5mm is in the nut.. I measured 2.5mm in various positions across the full travel of the table. There is only 0.6mm backlash on the X axis.

Andrew Johnston16/02/2017 20:47:46
3264 forum posts
384 photos

It does seem a lot, what is the pitch of the leadscrew? One would have expected the X-axis to wear more than the Y-axis as it normally gets more use.

Andrew

Peter Simpson 116/02/2017 20:54:56
39 forum posts

Not sure of the pitch I will remove the table tomorrow and do some investigations.

Mike Poole16/02/2017 21:01:29
798 forum posts
25 photos

What I was thinking Peter is that 2.5mm is likely to be near the pitch of the screw although I am not familiar with that mill. It seems common practice is for the nut to have a boss that fits a hole in the casting and is often retained with a bolt. If this has come loose maybe the nut can float around giving the effect of backlash. The screw must also have a method of axial location so that no motion is lost. If the screw pitch is 1/10" then it would be very close to total failure if the pitch is any finer then the nut would already have failed. The nut being loose or the screw floating in its mounting would give the same effect in all positions. It might be worth a bit of investigation before investing in a new nut.

Mike

Chris Evans 616/02/2017 22:25:51
869 forum posts

Buy a length of lead screw and a suitable nut from one of the many suppliers. Cut to length and turn the ends to suit. Adapt the bought nut to suit your requirements.

I have already done my lathe cross slide and next up will be the Bridgeport mill as it is now running out of adjustment. It will be a fraction of the cost of a genuine spare part.

Peter Simpson 117/02/2017 09:47:14
39 forum posts

Mike

I stripped the machine this morning and as you suggested the lead screw nut had worked loose. When refitted and tested the backlash is now a respectable 7 thou.

Many thanks Peter

Andrew Johnston17/02/2017 09:58:06
3264 forum posts
384 photos

The simplest solutions are the best. thumbs up

Andrew

Mike Poole17/02/2017 13:38:36
798 forum posts
25 photos

Apart from a bit of time that makes a cheap and simple fix. 7 thou sounds very reasonable, glad it was nothing serious

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
PaulTheCad
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Reeves 2000
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition