By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What Did You Do Today (2017)

Report what you have been upto here (engineering related)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin22/09/2017 09:42:52
93 forum posts
Posted by Brian Hutchings on 22/09/2017 09:15:05:

It seems a shame to spoil it with duct tape. Can the new foresight be soldered or Loctited on?

There is method in my madness, black duct tape will make a shiny barrel stand out against the sky better than any piddly little foresight ever could thinking

Nock's breech, 12 gauge, friction free lock and a good drop. How can I lose? Very easily wink

John Gardener22/09/2017 10:54:46
72 forum posts
21 photos

I envy you, duct tape - perhaps to take out the glare. I wonder, did the gun have a foresight when it was made?

Early army muskets did not have foresights because aiming was 'not gentlemanly' and 'unsporting'

However you shoot it, you lucky *** - I'm sure you will enjoy it.

indecision - signed, jealous shooter

Robin22/09/2017 11:46:19
93 forum posts

English guns have a brass pip foresight, when it goes missing they have a hole through to the bore so I think they were riveted on.

Don't envy me quite yet, there is a great lump of platinum touch hole that could blow out on the first shot thinking

Speedy Builder522/09/2017 18:56:44
1262 forum posts
91 photos

Re-furbised a CV joint for a 1927 Peugeot. First photo shows work holding between centres to clean up the worn trunions on the yolks, second photo shows new bronze bushes turned up and fitted.

cvjoint1.jpg

cvjoint3.jpg

Andrew Johnston23/09/2017 21:57:09
3467 forum posts
412 photos

Late morning I went over to Bourn airfield to pick up my PPL paperwork. I revalidated last Monday (one hour flight with an instructor) but it needed to be signed off by an examiner. Then I carried on to Gransden Lodge - my day in the big glider. Also the BBMF were displaying at Duxford and planned to do a couple of passes over Wimpole Hall (about 3 miles from us) on the way. We had a missive in the week that said if we had no gliders in the air, they might call on the radio and do a low pass down the runway en route to Wimpole. Sadly they didn't so we watched them in the distance. If I'd stayed at Bourn I'd have seen them fly right over the airfield. Still there's always tomorrow. Didn't fly the big glider today, but I've got it tomorrow. One syndicate partner is occupied giving flights in the motor glider to the Scouts, and the other has sprog number two (6 days old) to cope with. It would be a serious loss of brownie points to go flying.

This evening I've been making a balls up, literally. Having experimented with machining tungsten alloy I recently ordered enough to make all the governor balls for my traction engines. I thought I'd better make a trial ball to test the new material and fine tune the machining sequence. Here are the parts:

governor ball parts.jpg

The short length of thread in the front is machined from a tungsten/copper alloy. Every little helps! And the assembled ball:

governor ball assembled.jpg

Andrew

Roderick Jenkins23/09/2017 22:12:19
1412 forum posts
339 photos

yes

Rod

Bazyle24/09/2017 00:08:01
3506 forum posts
157 photos

Took some photos of the Mayor of St Albans at our show as I was the only person in range with a camera. One might appear in the local paper if his PR office push it.
Another year with great weather for the show despite the last few weeks of rain so my designated post outside with the engines in steam was quite pleasant if not quite needing sun cream.

Geoff Perkins 124/09/2017 04:51:26
121 forum posts
12 photos

Picked up a 2nd hand 17 year-old Hafco/Metalmaster horizontal swivel-head bandsaw on Friday, spent a few hours yesterday and this morning cleaning off accumulated rust/grime/swarf, making a few adjustments and fitting a new plug to the cord. Ordered a replacement control switch from Hare&Forbes as the existing one is well past its use-by date, and made a small table to fit in place of the standard saw guide so i can use it as a vertical machine as well.

Now only needs a new belt, new stand-off motor mounts (the motor is not the original and hits the frame when the saw is upright), replace the oil in the gearbox and fit the new switch and we'll see how it performs.

JasonB24/09/2017 07:41:52
11437 forum posts
1021 photos

Andrew looks like your copy attachment did a very good job on the balls, any pics?

J

Andrew Johnston24/09/2017 11:03:22
3467 forum posts
412 photos
Posted by JasonB on 24/09/2017 07:41:52:

Andrew looks like your copy attachment did a very good job on the balls, any pics?

The finish on the balls as shown is straight off the lathe, after a clean in acetone. It is slightly worse on the ends, but that is a function of the copying unit geometry. No pictures; I thought about it but decided the operation was straightforward, and I wasn't going to post, so no need to record the details.

Andrew

Ady124/09/2017 12:29:15
2904 forum posts
374 photos

I got one of those far east swindens knock-off jobs recently for a fraction of the price of the real thing and planned to mount it on my steel safe to create a working area even a blacksmith would find useful

It all went semi to plan, then fell down because of those scamming British Victorians and their hookey gear

Looks fine, 12mm studs at the front, lovely and secure 3/4" in solid steel

dscf3109.jpg

The problem is at the back

I was through the right hand rear in 2mm and the left hand rear in 6mm

So it's hanging on at the front only (I suppose I could weld it on at the back)

OK for basic light engineering but not the indestructible lifetime monster I was creating

The vice itself is fine (It's pretty big) with acceptable tolerances and build for the price

(sigh)

daveb24/09/2017 15:03:05
480 forum posts
9 photos

There was an old safe like that in a garage where I worked. Someone broke in one night and tried to cut through the door with the Oxy-Acetylene outfit, they must have spent a lot of time, made a real mess but didn't get the door open. The boss was most amused, the safe had been broken into many years before and the back panel had been removed.

Muzzer24/09/2017 17:46:45
2248 forum posts
388 photos

Must have got out of the wrong side of the bed. But to make amends, I wasted no time proving that the jaws (teeth?) of a keyless chuck are actually pretty good for machining loominum, although the surface finish leaves something to be desired.

This comes from importing a CNC program to the controller......then actually running a different one that was already loaded. It made a truly fantastic crash but being all a fumble, I'd forgotten to video it. No harm done, too fast for me to muddy my underwear and luckily I had another 3.5mm drill to replace the one that was in the chuck when I pressed the button.

On Friday I finished my first reasonably complex part without any evident cockups or outrages. So feeling reasonably happy with progress, despite this morning's trials.

Top side

Bottom side

Murray

Sam Longley 124/09/2017 18:15:06
460 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Ady1 on 24/09/2017 12:29:15:

I got one of those far east swindens knock-off jobs recently for a fraction of the price of the real thing and planned to mount it on my steel safe to create a working area even a blacksmith would find useful

It all went semi to plan, then fell down because of those scamming British Victorians and their hookey gear

Looks fine, 12mm studs at the front, lovely and secure 3/4" in solid steel

dscf3109.jpg

The problem is at the back

I was through the right hand rear in 2mm and the left hand rear in 6mm

So it's hanging on at the front only (I suppose I could weld it on at the back)

OK for basic light engineering but not the indestructible lifetime monster I was creating

The vice itself is fine (It's pretty big) with acceptable tolerances and build for the price

(sigh)

My father had a safe similar to that & after a break in the wages for 40+ men were still there. However, the detective pointed out that they could have opened the back with a tin opener. After that he encased it in concrete

Bob Rodgerson24/09/2017 18:19:03
505 forum posts
158 photos

Hi Murray,

I thought I was the only one who did that sort of thing. It is so easy to make a mistake like that with CNC machining, especially when you are using an ATC and haven't checked that the tool numbers in the program match those in the tool carousel, or you forgot to change drill lengths when using a different size drill.

It's amazing how far a 6mm carbide end mill can penetrate steel on fast down feed and with the spindle doing 5000 RPM. I caught one crash on video and I was truly impressed by the red heat generated when the end mill sank into the work piece.

Trouble with most crashes are that you never reach the stop button in time.

Muzzer24/09/2017 21:22:14
2248 forum posts
388 photos

Haha yes, it seemed to be proceeding at a sedate pace.....and then suddenly made a bolt for it. The servo drives registered an overload and tripped out the controller and drive through the estop circuit, so it came to a halt while my jaw was still dropping.

I'm going to remake the part (it's the cover plate for the housing in the pics) even though it wasn't damaged, as I stupidly picked up off a different feature and I got enough of an offset to create a visible mismatch. Practice makes better if not actually perfect.

Murray

Andrew Johnston24/09/2017 22:10:27
3467 forum posts
412 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 24/09/2017 17:46:45:

Top side

Looks pretty darn good to me, 'mistake' or otherwise. Ship it, the customer will never know!

It's surprising how far a HSS drill will bend if you rapid to the next hole without quite clearing the previous hole first. smile o

Andrew

Dean da Silva25/09/2017 06:03:04
70 forum posts

My lathe (Craftsman model 101.07403- I jokingly call her a Lyford or a Fauxford since the covers make it look a bit like a Myford) gave birth.

The jubilant mother.

Me with the offspring.

Fascinating what machines can do these days.

Edited By Dean da Silva on 25/09/2017 06:12:19

Ady125/09/2017 10:07:25
2904 forum posts
374 photos

After that he encased it in concrete

Now there's a plan. Open up a moderate hole and fill it up... that would give me the 4 stud points

It's ridiculously heavy as it is, will mull it over, welding on a top plate probably better

(One for the future. sigh.)

Jon Gibbs25/09/2017 10:20:31
613 forum posts

Last night I created the baseplate and mount for the cheap grinder to go with my HH Advanced Grinder rest. 30mm plywood base 600x300 with a 3mm steel plate for the mag mounts.

Swivel plate and minor accessories including single point dresser and 4-facet drill grinding set-up bottom left. I need to make the bushings for the grinding wheels next and then onto the end-mill accessory.

Jon

Edited By Jon Gibbs on 25/09/2017 10:23:17

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Reeves 2000
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition