By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by allandale

What Did You Do Today (2017)

Report what you have been upto here (engineering related)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Jeffree20/09/2017 10:27:07
341 forum posts
6 photos
Posted by Windy on 20/09/2017 09:42:09:

Hope you can receive my video it's a bit long but two Yorkshire speed enthusiasts testing and blowing the wind.

**LINK**

I think the expression you were after was "shooting the breeze". "Blowing the wind" is definitely something else... laugh

Windy20/09/2017 10:52:34
619 forum posts
156 photos

We were certainly Blowing the wind when the steamer ran there is blast of hot air etc. at speed watching the plants bending behind the hydro

Edited By Windy on 20/09/2017 10:55:40

Edited By Windy on 20/09/2017 10:58:33

Cornish Jack20/09/2017 16:41:47
621 forum posts
69 photos

Today saw the successful conclusion of some 17 days of efforts to remove the face plate from a Cowells Dividing Head spindle!!

img_9159a.jpg

It has been subjected to 5 days and nights of white vinegar (plus salt) soaking, Mole grips and hammers and not a sign of movement until today. I hacksaw-ed two small flats on the spindle register and clamped it in engineering clamps and applied a heavy copper head hammer via a large punch.angry Even then it had to be continued until the last thread! The rusting had accumulated since the old workshop was trashed in 2013 and it has been languishing in 'storage' ever since. The brass worm has also been slightly savaged in the process so will need a little tlc with the Swiss files but given the Cowells price list for for the D/H it has to be worth it!!

One thought which occured during all this was that loco builders who are concerned about security of their driving wheels might consider soaking their axles and wheel hubs in sea water and allowing them a 'rest' period. On the basis of this episode, they will never need to concern themselves over the security of fixing!!cheeky

rgds

Bill

Michael-w20/09/2017 17:44:04
1791 forum posts
48 photos

Just bought the "Setting Up a Workshop" magazine, The special run by M.E.W without realizing it, lots of good tips to be had and a good solid guide for a beginner. Well done.

Michael W

Neil Wyatt20/09/2017 18:55:34
11310 forum posts
527 photos
62 articles
Posted by Michael-w on 20/09/2017 17:44:04:

The special run by M.E.W without realizing it

No, we definitely knew we did it

Thanks Michael,.

Neil

Neil Wyatt20/09/2017 19:09:35
11310 forum posts
527 photos
62 articles

Well today we dropped our daughter off to university.

Strange...

Neil

Oldiron20/09/2017 19:16:42
33 forum posts

Neil. Expect a bag of washing in a couple of weeks.

Peter Krogh20/09/2017 20:27:12
191 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/09/2017 19:09:35:

Strange...

Neil

First one out? Yeah, it's very different.

Pete

Neil Wyatt20/09/2017 22:07:16
11310 forum posts
527 photos
62 articles
Posted by Peter Krogh on 20/09/2017 20:27:12:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/09/2017 19:09:35:

Strange...

Neil

First one out? Yeah, it's very different.

Pete

More complicated than that, I have three older steplads.

But eighteen years from birth upwards, then a smile and a wave and they're gone! Mind you she's far more self sufficient than I was at 18 and I managed OK. It's knowing that after I went I only ever came back as a visitor., my first time back was for Christmas but I was off to London for New Year...

Neil

Hillclimber21/09/2017 07:51:30
66 forum posts
11 photos

Just bought the "Setting Up a Workshop" magazine, The special run by M.E.W without realizing it, lots of good tips to be had and a good solid guide for a beginner. Well done.

Michael W

Unlikely that I shall be able to repeat that today, as my attempt to purchase online reveals that it is 'out of stock'. Bummer.

Cheers, Colin

Michael-w21/09/2017 11:14:08
1791 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by Hillclimber on 21/09/2017 07:51:30:

Michael W

Unlikely that I shall be able to repeat that today, as my attempt to purchase online reveals that it is 'out of stock'. Bummer.

Cheers, Colin

Give WH smith a try if you're in the UK. To be honest I'm not really a beginner as such but I do collect a lot of these type of books because you never know what you might have missed. It also preps you in areas not commonly thought of as "metalwork" but are no less important to establishing a workshop.

A lot of tips in that guide I've ended up doing eventually, for e.g I insulated my outbuilding not so long ago, and it's mentioned right there.

The work bench article described is very similar to mine, if not identical in construction and I can confirm it's a very good design. I even made my own set of hill-billy style drawers to keep tools in from the scraps of my workshop construction, as well as all the tool holder shelves etc, again, such ideas are mentioned.

I also bought quite cheaply but prolifically to begin with, and now I tend to be prefer saving up more money for better quality replacements of tools,

another example is automatic centre punches, I've had 3 £5-10 style centre punches and all of them have broken eventually, the ball detent inside it eventually wears flats and ceases to punch properly, you can get apparently a much heavier duty one from kennedy tools for £60. So I would expect that to be far better made.

So on this basis of having seen most of the things I've done, mentioned in the book, I would call it very good advice. There's also an index at the front, so you can jump straight to any section you're particularly concerned with. 

Michael W

Edited By Michael-w on 21/09/2017 11:15:24

donkey21/09/2017 12:57:20
53 forum posts
5 photos

they still have a copy in w.h. smiths in cwmbran. maybe they will post. I was there last tuesday.

bri

donkey21/09/2017 12:58:18
53 forum posts
5 photos

also Cardiff w.h. smiths had one copy.

bri

John Gardener21/09/2017 14:22:03
72 forum posts
21 photos

I bought a cheap (eight quid) bore-scope from a well known online shop. I stuck it down the barrel of my black powder revolver. The groups open up after about thirty six rounds, a sign of lead build up.

After two dozen passes with a bronze brush and solvent this is the barrel:- ruger lands.jpg

The 'milling' marks in the lands run the length of the barrel and lead can still be seen towards the top of the picture.

These pistols are no longer made (or supported) by Ruger and a second hand one sells for six hundred quid.

Had I seen the lands in this before I bought it I wouldn't have bought it.

What's this got to do with engineering? It is showing you an example of rubbish American engineering IMHO

Edited By John Gardener on 21/09/2017 14:22:58

Iain Downs21/09/2017 18:39:00
294 forum posts
115 photos

I have one of those nasty aluminium quick change toolposts. Before I had a traditional 'shim it up' 4 way toolpost.

The aluminium one seems pretty flimsy and in my cack-handed way I've probably over stressed it, but the dovetails have become warped. Moreover the parting off holder has had several 'spungs' and the bit jumps out.

The result - the bottom lip is bent and parting is more or less impossible.

So I've had a go at building my own (toolholder). Which has sort of worked OK.

I've over cut it so the grip isn't all it could be (too little on the dovetail) and i've had to put an M3 for the height.adjuster.

parting off 01.jpg

But it actually works and the next one will be spot on.

However, you can see that the holder is not vertical due to the aluminium dovetail being warped.

I'm thinking I'd like to make my own post and holder.

I like the idea of a lump of a block (like this one), but I don't like the push it out approach.which seems inherently not rigid. I want to make one that pulls it in.

Also it must be of steel not ally.

Any ideas on this welcome. I've found half a dozen designs on the web. If I make something interesting (or perhaps just have a sketch) I will post.

Iain

Iain Downs21/09/2017 18:39:02
294 forum posts
115 photos

I have one of those nasty aluminium quick change toolposts. Before I had a traditional 'shim it up' 4 way toolpost.

The aluminium one seems pretty flimsy and in my cack-handed way I've probably over stressed it, but the dovetails have become warped. Moreover the parting off holder has had several 'spungs' and the bit jumps out.

The result - the bottom lip is bent and parting is more or less impossible.

So I've had a go at building my own (toolholder). Which has sort of worked OK.

I've over cut it so the grip isn't all it could be (too little on the dovetail) and i've had to put an M3 for the height.adjuster.

parting off 01.jpg

But it actually works and the next one will be spot on.

However, you can see that the holder is not vertical due to the aluminium dovetail being warped.

I'm thinking I'd like to make my own post and holder.

I like the idea of a lump of a block (like this one), but I don't like the push it out approach.which seems inherently not rigid. I want to make one that pulls it in.

Also it must be of steel not ally.

Any ideas on this welcome. I've found half a dozen designs on the web. If I make something interesting (or perhaps just have a sketch) I will post.

Iain

Robin21/09/2017 22:01:35
93 forum posts

Made by George Wallis of Hull, 1731-1803. It is a 12 bore flintlock which I shall be shooting in a sporting clay completion 1/10/17 so I have just over a week to replace the missing foresight and the parts started arriving today.

The plan is to fix on a small brass pip using as much black duct tape as I can possibly hope to justify thinking

Windy21/09/2017 22:25:19
619 forum posts
156 photos

Did a bit more on the crankshaft halves finish web tomorrow then to screw cut and machine drive taper2005_0101webscrank0001.jpg

2005_0101webscrank0002.jpg

Jon Gibbs22/09/2017 09:04:26
613 forum posts
Posted by Robin on 21/09/2017 22:01:35:

Made by George Wallis of Hull, 1731-1803. It is a 12 bore flintlock which I shall be shooting in a sporting clay completion 1/10/17 so I have just over a week to replace the missing foresight and the parts started arriving today.

The plan is to fix on a small brass pip using as much black duct tape as I can possibly hope to justify thinking

Lovely Damascus barrel. (Who needs two barrels at a clay shoot anyway?wink)

Jon

Brian Hutchings22/09/2017 09:15:05
476 forum posts
47 photos

It seems a shame to spoil it with duct tape. Can the new foresight be soldered or Loctited on?

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Ausee.com.au
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Reeves 2000
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition