Forum sponsored by allandale

First Project - Oscillating Engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Williams 2114/06/2016 15:43:01
42 forum posts
13 photos

Hi All,

As the title says I have finally started my very first model engineering project.

I bought a Myford ML7 lathe and a Sieg mill around six months ago but as I hadn't finished getting my workshop ready I was unable to use them and get anything started, anyway the workshop is all but complete and over the last few weeks I have been busy getting everything I need for my first project.

While waiting to get started I trawled the internet and found what I believed to be the simplest Oscillating Engine I could find check out www.steves-workshop.co.uk if anyone is looking for an easy first build. I then got myself the materials and final tools I needed to start.

Below are pics of my progress, any helpful hints and tips off the experienced builders out there would be most appreciated.image.jpeg

The picture above shows the cylinder with its cap sat in place (top left), I still need to drill these to fix the cap on, next is the crank bushing (top right), again needs drilling for fixing to the frame and last is the frame also requiring drilling to take the bushing however all of the other holes are drilled including steam inlet hole on the reverse side which enters on the top, also fixing holes have been drilled and threaded on the bottom ready for mounting.

image.jpeg

Not the best picture I know and for some reason it turned 90deg between taking it with my phone and uploading it to here. This shows my base plate just sprayed with black enamel paint and drying in sun.

The parts shown aren't absolutely perfect but for my first project and with little to no engineering/machining experience I'm pretty happy and I've learned loads already.

More progress pics to follow!

Mark

Thor14/06/2016 16:23:54
819 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Mark,

Your oscillator is coming along nicely, looking forward to see your progress. I have made a few oscillators myself, both single-acting and double-acting, great fun.

Thor

Mark Williams 2114/06/2016 16:26:49
42 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Thor on 14/06/2016 16:23:54:

Hi Mark,

Your oscillator is coming along nicely, looking forward to see your progress. I have made a few oscillators myself, both single-acting and double-acting, great fun.

Thor

Thanks Thor

Neil Wyatt14/06/2016 17:15:09
11595 forum posts
531 photos
63 articles

Hello Mark,

Looks like you are making good progress!

Neil

Peter Krogh14/06/2016 17:53:14
195 forum posts
20 photos

Oscillators are fun and satisfying to build. Looking good so far!

Pete

Mark Williams 2114/06/2016 17:58:07
42 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks Gents

Bazyle14/06/2016 18:29:17
3565 forum posts
157 photos

As you mentioned "bushing" and "sun" I figured you weren't from the UK, but seeing another post about purchasing tools from an UK supplier now I'm confused. frown

Mark Williams 2114/06/2016 18:42:13
42 forum posts
13 photos

I beg your pardon, bearing and cloud with more than occasional rain 😛

Mark Williams 2115/06/2016 11:53:50
42 forum posts
13 photos

UPDATE:

resize 1.jpg

Piston cap and main bearing drilled, threaded and bolted to the necessary parts,and assembled what I have up to now

resize 2.jpg

From a slightly different angle, I have also opened up the inlet/exhaust holes slightly ready to silver solder copper tube in.

I think its looking ok, certainly coming together!!

Mark Williams 2115/06/2016 11:57:21
42 forum posts
13 photos

P.S. Used M1.6 threaded rod and nuts which was fun.....not 😎

mechman4815/06/2016 12:17:34
1663 forum posts
292 photos

Coming along nicely there Mark.

George.

Thor15/06/2016 14:18:35
819 forum posts
20 photos

Hi Mark,

You are making good progress on the engine, nice photos.

Thor

Neil Wyatt15/06/2016 15:02:42
11595 forum posts
531 photos
63 articles

smiley

Mark Williams 2115/06/2016 15:51:38
42 forum posts
13 photos

Thanks Gents, am going to see how much I can get done tonight, would hope for the piston assembly and maybe the flywheel but we'll see 👍🏻

Maurice15/06/2016 18:57:58
304 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Mark, nice work! There is one point that I would like to raise. It is helpful to relieve the area round the trunion pin, as, when the two surfaces wear as the engine runs, the centre area will wear more slowly than that which is moving faster and further. Relieving it will allow the faces to remain in contact more easily. On the Stuart Turner oscillator, they mill a slot across the port face on the standard, about 5/32" wide. An old Bowman that I had, had a 3/8" counter bore round the trunion pin hole. There is something similar on the remains of another old engine I have, only it's 1/2" diameter. I'm sure your engine will run perfectly without this relief, but it will remain, well not exactly leak proof, but in good working order for longer if you do it. Keep up the good work.

Regards Maurice

Mark Williams 2115/06/2016 19:02:25
42 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Maurice, thanks for the advice however being a complete beginner I am unsure of what you mean, any more pointers or pics you could give to aid my understanding as any modifications I can make to add longevity to my engine would definitely be considered

thanks

Mark

Maurice15/06/2016 21:35:36
304 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Mark; yes, certainly. I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow. The idea is that the two flat faces only touch in the area of the ports, and are able to bed together without the unworn central area stopping the process. Can't take the pics before that; sorry. Will do A.S.A.P.

Maurice

Andrew Johnston15/06/2016 22:25:44
3567 forum posts
421 photos
Posted by Mark Williams 21 on 15/06/2016 11:53:50:

I think its looking ok, certainly coming together!!

Looks a darn sight better than ok to me. I'd be happy if my stuff looked like that.

Andrew

Mark Williams 2116/06/2016 11:08:53
42 forum posts
13 photos

thanks guys!

UPDATE:

Piston/conrod assembly machined just requires hole for fitting onto crank

risize3.jpg

Piston in cylinder, I hand finished with 400 grit paper to get the best fit I could

resize 4.jpg

I also learned a valuable lesson about the sharpness needed on your lathe tools

Maurice16/06/2016 17:43:17
304 forum posts
52 photos

Very old engine portface.jpgold osc.portface.jpgS.T. portface.jpgHi Mark, here are the pictures of port faces that I promised. Sorry for the delay. The Bowman I no longer have, but here are An old Stuart ( I have five of various ages, all have the slot); The remains of a horizontal engine of uncertain make, with a circular relief round the trunion pin, and finally a German engine from before WW1. The port face is actually a brass pressing. It has the slot pressed in. In the well known book by K.N.Harris on making stationary engines, chapter 2 is devoted to oscillating engines. The drawings he includes show both circular and the slot type of relief, although curiously he does not mention it in the text. Personally , I prefer to put a slot across the face where the trunion pin is. It is easier than counter-boring, and I believe it is more effective. Keep up the good work on your engine; I look forward to seeing it finished.

MauriceS.T. osc complete.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Shapiro
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Merdienne London Show 2018
Expo Tools July 14
Reeves 2000
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition