Forum sponsored by allandale

Help with a compound slide for Sieg C1

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
dizzibits06/05/2016 16:17:01
21 forum posts
1 photos

Hello all

I purchase a compound slide for an Axminster Model Engineer Lathe. Can someone help me how to use it? I believed going by pictures of other lathes that it rotated on its axis to give greater control of the tool, but I cant see how to make it turn?

I have had it apart trying to see what I'm missing.

Thanks for any help

This is a picture of the slide

Edited By dizzibits on 06/05/2016 16:18:46

JasonB06/05/2016 16:38:56
11303 forum posts
1013 photos

If it is anything like the other far eastern lathes then leave the 4 mounting screws loose and turn the slide to your required angle then do them up tight to lock.

The alternative would the the hex head screw set into the top of the circular scale, probably one on the opposite side too.

Edited By JasonB on 06/05/2016 16:44:19

Michael Gilligan06/05/2016 16:46:14
9927 forum posts
432 photos

Posted by dizzibits on 06/05/2016 16:17:01:

... I believed going by pictures of other lathes that it rotated on its axis to give greater control of the tool, but I cant see how to make it turn?

I have had it apart trying to see what I'm missing.

Going by the picture [which includes an angular scale], one would reasonably assume that it can rotate !!

Surely there must be a rotation lock, somewhere

... What did you find when you 'had it apart' ?

MichaelG.

Edit: There's a likely-looking cap-head screw next to the 0° mark

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 06/05/2016 17:05:41

mark smith 2006/05/2016 18:04:57
451 forum posts
252 photos

From what i can see it has four t-nuts on the bottom and would have to fit on a crossslide like on this link of a C8!

**LINK**

The C! had a similar cross slide. So you need to bolt it to the cross slide with the crews and t nuts then the top half should swivel by loosening the screw that is on the scale , then tightening it at the angle you want.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes/Model-C1-Lathe/SIEG-C1-Lathe/SIEG-C1-Lathe

Edited By mark smith 20 on 06/05/2016 18:09:02

Robbo06/05/2016 18:36:12
1279 forum posts
127 photos

The four cap head screws in the corners of the square base hold it to the cross-slide using the T-strips underneath and are done up tight.

The four cap heads on the top of the sliding part are (obviously) for clamping the tool in place.

Each side of the sliding part, in the centre of the arc of the round base is a cap head screw recessed below the surface. Slacken off these 2 screws to rotate to the required angle, then tighten.

Assuming you have re-assembled it correctly!

dizzibits07/05/2016 11:47:01
21 forum posts
1 photos

Much obliged for the replies.

I tried the front cap hex bolt by the 0° previously. I may have missed the other one. I will try it next time I'm in the mini workshop and let you know.

Ben Gordon07/01/2017 18:41:29
1 forum posts

I have been searching for this compound slide but I cannot find it anyway. Where did you purchase it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer!

Find Model Engineers' Workshop!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Reeves 2000
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Warco
emcomachinetools
PaulTheCad
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition