By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bazyle

Here is a list of all the postings Bazyle has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
25/05/2018 16:02:38

Day off so went over to EDMES Friday coffee morning chat which turned out to be 'rebuild the community centre gate' day. So Kevin welded, Ces tidied up with the angle grinder, and Dave acted as a mobile spark shield from the grinding sparks. Then we left Deric to paint it while we went for a bacon butty. Watching people work can be quite exhausting.

Thread: Multi page threads.
24/05/2018 12:39:53

Just under this post is "Latest Posts". Click on this and bookmark the page you end up on.

Thread: New workshop building advice.
24/05/2018 09:36:44

Draughts? plan for a vapour barrier plastic sheet inside the insulation taped at every join. You don't want condensation forming on the inside of your wood walls.

Thread: Would you delete this as 5PAM?
23/05/2018 23:32:21

I've never received an email notification like that but it might be some special option I haven't ticked. As to messages being read I often don't notice the icon for days, some might not know what it means.

One of the key things with these items is not to click on the provided link. Go to the forum messages by the normal route and see if you have a message. No reputable company or system nowadays should be sending unsolicited messages with built in links but just sending details of how to navigate to the required destination using the menus,

23/05/2018 23:24:10

I have a dead cheap t&g shed and the gap between the 3in boards changes by at least 1/8 in over the seasons. T&G is the worst possible joint for an exposed situation. The tight fit means the water wicks straight through. There is a reason why featheredge and shiplap were invented.

If you get the gap wrong when it gets wet and is too tight it will buckle, if too loose when it gets dry it might spring the tongue out of the groove. in this weather I'd get it bone dry and fit it spaced just engaged using a metal spacer all along to get it even.

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
22/05/2018 13:08:09

We derive many words, especially techie ones from Latin and Greek. The word 'glue' already comes from the Latin.

So how about "kollared" from the Greek word for glue 'kolla'. (Beware spellcheckers trying to replace the k with c.)

Thread: Weighing
21/05/2018 17:19:04

It is not a common topic of discussion in ME circles, ie people trust to the springs being the same mostly. However there have been some designs or illustrations of weighing equipment in the pages of ME over the years.

21/05/2018 17:15:58

A hornet nest appeared in my store shed right by the door a couple of weeks ago but appeared to be uninhabited luckily.

I also found a bunch of bees in a little turf of grass between two small logs as I was restacking a pile. How long are they likely to stay? Now the top of the pile is gone they will get wet when it rains so should I add some cover?

Thread: Is this Genuine?
21/05/2018 11:29:22

I'm not accepting any of these DPR mails except a few I do care about. Hoping it will at last stop some of the endless junk. Unfortunately I think if they are buying lists from some organisations which I have agreed to they will still spam me as deep in the small print there is some get--out.

20/05/2018 22:32:13

Hi Martin, sorry I missed you. I think you were in the process of starting up when I went round there and I mostly spoke to Dave with the traction engine. I hadn't expected to meet any forum members. Perhaps next year we could put it on Neil's list on the other thread.

20/05/2018 19:15:34

St Albans DMES had its portable track at the Stockwood Park Luton steam fair Discovery Centre. It's quite a nice place even when nothing special is on and they have a few permanent displays of several engines and machines, a museum of horse drawn carriages, and a bit of archaeology, farm tools etc. We weren't charging for the rides as the idea is just publicity for our own show in September, possible new members, and goodwill. Next Bank Holiday it's Redbourn Museum, and the weekend after Oaklands St Albans steam fair.
The catch with these events is that a few of us have to start and end two hours before and after for loading and unloading the track.

Thread: How to adjust the alignment of the head-stock on a BG1224 lathe
19/05/2018 17:13:35

I'm guessing the 4 bolts you undid are vertical and hold the headstock down. If so it might be glued in place by paint wicked into the gap. I'm not clear why loosening hold down bolts would be expected to move it sideways. Perhaps you are referring to some horizontal bolts designed to shift it sideways?
It might need a few gentle taps to actually break the bond.

Thread: Dismantling an old machine - stuck bits
19/05/2018 09:15:17

Is the main bar straight through and was it locked by a screw in the hole visible in the block? This may have raised burs as well as the rust. If not perhaps they are separate bars screwed in as with a typical milling machine triple bar handle. With suitable support it should be ok to hammer the ends after removing the plastic balls.

Not obvious is that it is not symmetrical and the knob is on a shaft that goes through next to the big bar holds the outer block onto an inner round section. These two sections have a very course serration which you can just see as a wavy line. It is for adjusting the position of the bar handle.

One thing to do is to wash off the 'thin' oil with white spirit. Oil does not penetrate well. The white spirit will dilute it and help it run in. You want the consistence of 2 stroke oil for freeing things so that it is very very thin,

On second thoughts I think the bar is supposed to be straight. If it isn't make it so.

Edited By Bazyle on 19/05/2018 09:21:39

19/05/2018 00:44:27

Moved into a place with a flat rubber roof extension. Put up with summer heat induced plastic pong for 15 years but after doing my garage in 3 layer felt I had the confidence to do the house when it started leaking . Both been good for 18 years. The plastic one was susceptible to cats and squirrels slicing it with their claws which then split when winter cold shrinkage put it under tension. For a design with enough slope I would use insulated steel sandwich factory style.

18/05/2018 12:09:02

Hi Brian, It's nice to get progress reports like this. Photos even more fun.

You need to think about where the damp is going. Water under the new slab will be trying to get up and out. So if the DPC goes up the wall it will direct the water up the wall into the bricks. If it extends up the wall it will protect the plasterboard if there is some but will make the wall inside wet instead. The new DPC needs to join physically to the existing DPC for the wall.
Personally in case the DPC joint leaked I would ensure the bottom 6 inches of cladding (if any) is a separate ventilated space for vapour to escape instead of creeping up the inside of the cladding.

Thread: Warco WM250 Lathe and Warco WM18 Milling machine (Advice please)
17/05/2018 23:31:32

Is it your dream job to poke around fifty lathes a day conscientiously making measurements and risk your job by actually telling your boss one is out of spec? On day two you will be bored shitless and just bang out the forms. On day 3 when the foreign customer has finished his inspection the boss will assign you to a real job that earns him money and have a secretary sign the fifty forms in her tea break.
Get real.

Thread: Show and Tell Event for Forum Members?
17/05/2018 17:43:14
Posted by joe king 1 on 17/05/2018 11:28:43:

Apart from the Launceston Steam Railway, which is in town, I have yet to find anybody in the least bit interested in our hobby in the area. A meet up in Devon would be more than welcome.

There may be more than you think, but not sure how to make contact. There are two local model railway clubs I believe and a third that meet in Sourton because they can't find a closer room. Often people in one related field have an interest in another but not sure how to meet up.
Another aspect is how far you can travel. Plymouth MES is only 25 miles away which for rural folk is about the norm for anything.

As to the initial question distance is a limiting factor just to meet a few people. If associated with one of the shows or a vendor's open day it gives a bit more attraction. We did try I think about 5 years ago at the Bristol show but confusion over time and location in the show meant only two of us turned up.

Thread: clock winding ratchet how to build one
17/05/2018 12:59:24

You can use a single point cutter on brass and probably get away with it on steel if you use a slow speed and small diameter. You probably have a flycutter for your mill that will hold the tool bit so you can use that. Just draw out the cutter and ratchet on paper at a larger scale to plan the shape of the cutter and the position of the wheel blank.

What kind of indexing mechanism do you have? Unless you are trying to repair an antique to original standard you don't have to stick with exactly 14 teeth, 15 would do. You can use a change-wheel off your lathe to provide the divisions.

Thread: PORTASS LATHE
14/05/2018 15:11:57

Do you specifically need collets just yet eg because you are building a lot of clocks? If in the first flush of lathe enthusiasm it would be best to make sure you have a good 3 jaw and 4 jaw ie not the well worn originals first.

Thread: Is this normal in backing plates
13/05/2018 16:18:27

On a slightly different tack, since it was mentioned, Don't rely on a water based cutting fluid not causing rust because it has an inhibitor. An inhibitor is not a preventer so splashed need sorting out immediately. Although some amateurs do use flood cooling occasionally mostly it is not necessary and only used to wash away bulk chips with a bigger lathe. Often a small brush putting on a little neat oil is best.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition