By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nicholas Farr

Here is a list of all the postings Nicholas Farr has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vote now for the John Stevenson Trophy
16/05/2018 06:44:44

Hi Neil, has the result of the voting been announced yet, or have I missed something.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Zeus infallible?----mmmmm!
04/05/2018 21:08:48

Hi, getting back to the Zeus error, my 1978 one that I've used at work for donkey years, has a more serious error, or more to the point, three on the same page. This gave me a real head scratching, thought I was losing it kinda feeling a few years ago. I was trying to calculate an angle for part of a fabrication, but the answer that I kept getting was ridiculously incorrect, time and time I tried, but just couldn't get a sensibly result, even making sure that I was calculating by the correct formula. Turned out that the information in the Zeus was wrong.

scan_20180504.jpg

Sixth one down in the Data Known column, the letters were both incorrect, can't remember now what they were, but I scratched them off and wrote the correct two in. Also noted that on the same line, three across, it said Cos B when it is Cot B and the same thing in that column on the ninth line, which had Cos C, which it is Cot C.

The calculations came correct once I had the correct formula.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Sealey mighty mig 150
15/04/2018 08:37:41

Hi Sean, get yourself some de-soldering braid. If your hurry to a Maplin's shop, you maybe lucky to get some.

**LINK**

Regards Nick.

Graeme beat me to it.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 15/04/2018 09:01:08

Thread: Recently Acquired Drummond B lathe
31/03/2018 08:51:50

Hi Don, I guess it must be a really early one.

**LINK**

Regards Nick.

Thread: Please help me to identify this Colchester lathe
31/03/2018 08:17:10

Hi, below are scans of ads for a Student, Triumph and a Master.

scan_20180331 (2).jpg

scan_20180331 (3).jpg

scan_20180331.jpg

I think you have the Master.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Chester 16V Mill
31/03/2018 07:46:44

Hi Ian, no harm in torqueing the bolts, but the question would be what the setting for the torque wrench is. I don't know what the setting is, and if there is no info in the user manual, then you would be best to contact Chester for advice.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Adaptation of grinding wheel to a spindle
24/03/2018 13:16:08

Hi, just about any reasonable material can be used, even the likes of cardboard tubes. The main thing is it must have a concentric wall thickness and fit correctly in the wheel and the shaft, without binding or slope, as the only function should be to locate the wheel centrally on the shaft during mounting. No forces as such, should be transmitted through the bush if the clamping discs are correctly fitted, as these are there to transmit all the forces that are applied to the wheel.

Regards Nick.

P.S. see for more info, http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=12754&p=724876

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 24/03/2018 13:21:17

Thread: New Stuff You've Never Used
11/03/2018 14:36:13

Hi, yesterday I went up into my attic to rummage through some boxes to see if I could find some rubber feet. However I came across one or two things I had forgotten about, one was a couple of boards being sold off at 99p from Tandy when they were closing down my local store. Thought they may be useful one day, but they are still in their unopened bags.

plug in borads.jpg

The other one is a Tungsram valve, which was scrapped by a company I used to work for, for many years and although the box is a bit tatty now, the valve looks quite pristine. This will probably never get used.

valve & box.jpg

valve.jpg

Funny what one seems to hoard up.

Didn't find any rubber feet, had to buy some from Maplins today.sad

Regards Nick.

Thread: Maplin
06/03/2018 22:59:14

Hi, went into Maplin's this afternoon for some Vero pins for Veroboard/Stripboard. The young guy (with reference to my age) had never heard of them, let alone seen any. After I had explained what they where and what they looked like, he said do you mean these **LINK** I said no but they will do, but they are not as good as the Veropins, although they do have the type of pins I wanted on their website **LINK**

This was the first time I've been in my local Maplin's for a while and yes it reminded me of the Tandy stores of old and very much of their core products seem to have disappeared, they don't even seem to have a catalogue to browse through like they used to have.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Tap washers
06/03/2018 22:20:34

Hi, and for those that don't know, here's an inside view of a stop cock where such washers will fit. The washer is the black bit which seals off the flow of water and the jumper is what it's attached too, which has a spigot that slides up and down in the end of the threaded bit, that can just be seen.

Stop Valve

A tap has the same configuration, but has an open spout on the output side.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 06/03/2018 22:23:54

Thread: Maplin
28/02/2018 18:54:47

Hi, I first became aware of Maplins, back in the early seventies when I started to build my Disco gear. I remember ordering a catalogue which was free and you were able to get £1.00 worth of goods using vouchers that were in the catalogue when you ordered your goods. It was called Maplin Electronic Supplies then and had a P.O. box number in Rayleigh, Essex. I found an advert for them In Practical Wireless, which I used to buy each month, take a look at the bottom left of page 66 in the May 1973 issue in this **LINK** all done by looking for adverts and posting an order and getting them up to a week later. Cricklewood Electronics were another good source of components, and many of the non preferable types were available from them, which many others didn't have and they are still trading from the same shop as they did then with much the same core products **LINK**

Regards Nick.

Thread: Can someone please explain this angle?
25/02/2018 20:33:28

Hi Fizzy, I would take it as being the angle of offset of the eccentric to the crank.

Regards Nick.

Thread: The Model Engineer and Electrician
18/02/2018 09:00:49

Hi, well on August 3rd 1922 it was still The Model Engineer and Electrician.

Regards Nick.

Thread: TDA2030A Audio Amp
16/02/2018 17:05:25

Hi, overall I prefer to listen to recorded music, however, Danny M2Z you mention the Eagles, well there's group that sounds just as good on live recordings as they do on studio recordings in my opinion. Their Eagles Live CD is just brilliant and so is their hell freezes over DVD, which I first watched on video. The loudest live gig I ever went too was Wizzard, man they were so load it hurt my ears, even as far back in the hall I could get, I think I left before they had finished, though their performance was very good, although I did see Roy Wood at an open air gig locally several years later and it was a much better volume level and he was a very good entertainer and sung most of his hits, even the ones when he was in the Move.

Regards Nick.

14/02/2018 23:52:02

Hi, I have a couple of unused TDA2030's

001 (1024x768).jpg

I can't remember if I bought them for a project or if I just acquired them in some sort of sale, they don't have an A on the end of the number though. I also have the fifth edition of Loudspeakers by G. A. Briggs with R. E. Cooke, B. Sc. (Eng.) as Technical Editor.

scan_20180214.jpg

I bought the book for a guide for making my discotheque speaker enclosures, (although it's lost its dust cover) for two Goodmans Twin Axiom 12" speaker units in each enclosure. My late brother and myself bought the units from Smiths electrical shop in Tottenham Court Road, London. We carried a pair each from there to a garage park in Edgware Road via the underground. As for Valves v/s transistors, my brother and I had various different views on the subject, however I built a stereo valve amp from a design in Babani BP12 Hi-Fi, P. A. , Guitar & Discotheque Amplifier Design Book. That was a push-pull design using EL84 valves giving 15 watts per channel, the output transformers for which were bought from Henrys Radio in Edgware Road, London and the Valves were Zaerux from Z & I Aero Services Ltd., in Tottenham Court Road. I still have the amp in an outbuilding, but it's way past its sell by date, but it did do a lot of disco's in its day. The two enclosures with the Twin Axiom's are accompanied with a small unit each that houses two High Frequency units and crossovers, the Hi Frequency units I bought in a shop in Leicester but the crossovers I made from a design that was published in ETI magazine, two crossovers were made for each unit so they could by used on a 4ohm or 16ohm system. The speakers are still in use in my lounge, connected up to my HF-Fi and still sound good.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 14/02/2018 23:59:19

Thread: London model engineering exhibition
21/01/2018 08:50:55

Hi, I went yesterday and had no problem having my camera bag inspected by a polite lady, she didn't touch it at all. Wonder how many people would moan if there was an incident with would be terrorists, and nothing was done to try and prevent them.

Among other things, I bought one of these after watching the guy demonstrating one, worth a punt for £20.00 for all three items.

img_20180120_194822 (1024x768).jpg

Regards Nick.

Thread: Merry Christmas!
25/12/2017 07:52:17

Hi, Merry Christmas everyone. My daughter, son-in-law and two of my granddaughters came round yesterday, the eldest of the two granddaughters who is 5 years 9 months, had a nice time finding some little extra presents hanging on my tree and she enjoyed getting the presents from under the tree for my daughter and son-in-law and her baby sister. When it came to reaching for my son-in-law's one she whispered to me " I know what daddies one is" so I asked what she thought it might be and she replied "Booze!! but I'm not going to tell him" that really made me smile.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Dead Man's Switch?
11/12/2017 00:05:05

Hi, I would says a tromp/panic bar that you would have to stamp on would be the best approach. It can be surprising how long a delay there can be before you realize that you have to lift ones foot or let go of something, before you have to execute an emergency stop, I think this is because psychologically it is more logical to hit something, rather than letting go.

Regards Nick.

Thread: Are the Electrics Right in ME4575?
04/12/2017 21:54:53

Hi, I agree that the circuit will work, but it is not drawn very clearly to my mined and like John Swift 1, I would not use it. John's circuit is basically the same as one that I drew up and used for a small sensitive bench drill I made up 10 years ago. Mine has a couple of extra safe guards in the circuit and uses a three pole relay. While I don't claim it to be using all the standard symbols, I think it is clearly understandable.

nvr01.jpg

drill07.jpg

Works OK and is fairly compact and was not very expensive.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 04/12/2017 21:59:10

Thread: Dros without breaking the bank?
04/12/2017 06:45:41

Hi Andrew, I've used two units from Arc on my Cobra mill, which I'm well pleased with. They are far better and much more accurate than the dials and have had no issues with them, apart from battery replacement a couple of times. I've also found that I don't need to use them for every machining operation. I did a wright up about fitting them **LINK**

Regards Nick.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition