By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John C

Here is a list of all the postings John C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: new to the hobby - first lathe
05/03/2018 04:19:49

Hello again Nigel,

I have sent you another message,

Best regards,

John

02/03/2018 15:53:31

Nigel, I have sent you a message. Click the flashing envelope symbol next to 'settings' on the green line at the very top of the page.

John

Thread: MEW 265
24/02/2018 12:54:51

Got mine a couple of days ago Rod,

John

Edited By John C on 24/02/2018 12:55:14

Thread: Can Someone move a mill for me please?
24/02/2018 12:09:11

Hi Carl,

Steve Cox (landylift @AOL.co.uk 07836 736496), advertises on the Homeworkshop site. He is excellent at this and his vehicle can lift 1000kg. It probably won't be cheap, given the distance, but you can be sure it will be done well. He will also position the machine in your premises, rather than just dump it on the drive. I have no connection other than as a satisfied repeat customer.

As a cautionary tale, a friend of mine had a lathe moved by a pallet company..........they dropped it, and the ensuing insurance debacle is still ongoing.

Thread: ajustable vee belt
12/01/2018 15:00:28

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=link%20belt&PN=1-Metre-Link-V-Belting--A-Section--643635%2ehtml#SID=581

Thread: bolt supplies
20/12/2017 19:43:16

http://www.emkayscrewsupplies.co.uk/

Thread: Recommended lathe outside protection?
19/12/2017 12:19:46

I have found this to be very effective: Hallet Oils Rustpro 410, available from Hallet Steam Oils. No connection etc.

http://www.steamcar.net/hallett-oils.pdf

John

Thread: Carbide tip holders
18/12/2017 13:42:02

I'd go for the Diamond toolholder - see the sidebar to the right. Easy to sharpen, easy to adjust. See the many discussions re carbide vs HSS in this size lathe.

John

Thread: Aldi to stock 3D printer
15/12/2017 12:12:23

I guess that's a 'no' then!

Thread: CuP Alloys Roadshow 2018.
08/12/2017 11:21:02

Hi Shaun,

Is the Grimsby event hosted by GCMES? I'm too far away to make joining worthwhile, but would be interested in a one-off visit for your talk.

Thanks,

John

Thread: Aldi to stock 3D printer
27/11/2017 20:12:24

Did anyone buy one - I looked but they were sold out!

John

Thread: looking for a new bench drill
22/11/2017 06:35:23

Lug - I've sent you a message,

John

Thread: D1 Camlock Repair
19/11/2017 21:13:21

Thanks all for the advice and thoughts. Today I silver soldered the parts together. I fluxed the mating faces and inserted tiny lengths of rod into small cut outs that I had formed using the corner of a diamond wheel. I held the whole lot in a sacrificial spring clamp and heated it. When the rod melted the parts were forced together. So far all seems fine - it is still hard enough to bounce a file off, and has survived several tightenings. But I do know that I can get a new one if this fails!

Thanks again,

John

12/11/2017 18:25:42

Thanks Charadam and Muzzer - all good stuff. What are the thoughts on silver soldering the broken bits I have?

Rgds,

John

12/11/2017 14:38:32

Clive - very interesting - thanks. If the locks are standard that makes my quest much easier. I shall look for Muzzer's link.

Thanks again,

John

12/11/2017 13:31:41

David - inspired thinking! Why didn't I think of that? As you say, not cheap (plus shipping and VAT!) but at least I know where I can get one. It is for a Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro - I shall have to see if they are the same item as the Boxford one.

Many thanks!

John

12/11/2017 12:38:17

On of the cam locks (pawls?) on the spindle nose of my D1-3 mount has broken. It wasn't me, honest. Searching the internet suggests that these items make hen's teeth look quite plentiful. The favourite solution is a replacement, but failing that, repair. My thoughts are silver solder - what would the members suggest? Judging by the grain structure in the crack the item looks to be cast, and it is hardened. I appreciate silver soldering may alter the hardness, but I probably won't use it enough for that to be a problem.

I had thought of making one, but would struggle with the 5/16 square hole.

img_0752.jpg

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions,

John

Thread: Small Pratt burnered chucks. Jaws?
25/10/2017 17:45:42

Rotagrip (www.rotagriponline.com) are very helpful for PB stuff.

Thread: Brown and Sharpe 252 Adjustment
11/10/2017 16:00:16

OK, Clive, I'll give that a try. Thanks again!

John

11/10/2017 09:54:51

Thanks again Clive. Having reassembled the thing, it now reads almost spot on at the thimble but 0.5mm high on the rod! The thread is 0.5mm pitch which may have a bearing on this, but I have yet to see how, apart from a huge coincidence.

More thinking required.......

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition