By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Les Jones 1

Here is a list of all the postings Les Jones 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
03/05/2018 20:10:38

Hi Murray,
The weight is supported on the spindle. There is no expanding mandrel. It is aligned by a bar that is a sliding fit into the pully end of the spindle. The other end of the bar is machined down to 12.0mm and fits into a 12mm MT2 collet that fits the rotary table. the drive is supplied by the aluminium plate that is screwed to the pulley and fixed to the slots in the table at the points where you can see the spacers. The rotational force is taken by the relativly thin standoff which is at righy angles to a line between the centre of the table and the single bolt fastening it to the anti rotation bar. It was done this way as the bore in the end of the spindle was very poorly machined so may not be truely concentric. The thin bracket can flex in the direction of a radius but not at right angles to it. This view shows the coupling better.

img_1459 (medium).jpg

Les.

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 03/05/2018 20:12:39

03/05/2018 18:05:04

Over the last few days I coulped a rotary table to my lathe spindle to cut some splines.

img_1457 (medium).jpg

img_1458 (medium).jpg

Les.

Thread: 1ph to 3ph Electrics
20/04/2018 20:54:41

The most common VFDs are supplied from 240 volts single phase and supply a three phase output that is 240 volts phase to phase. You can get more expensive ones that will supply 415 volts phase to phase so that you can use a motor that cannot be configured for 240 volts phase to phase. The motor you have can be configured in a delta connection for 240 volts phase to phase or in star connection for use with 415 volts phase to phase.

Les.

Thread: Argon gas
20/04/2018 20:07:25

Thanks Tony for pointing out SGS Gases. I have found a dealer about 5 miles from me and obtained a 10 litre cylinder of argon Co2 mix (5% Co2) The deposit was £70.00 + VAT and the gas was £39.00 +VAT. I could find no information to say what pressure the cylinders are charged to. The pressure in the one I received was 200 bar.

Les.

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
27/03/2018 17:16:44

I have built a small furnace for casting aluminium using a simialr mix to the one Mike Cox used. It has much better insulating properties than the castable refractory that I use to build a larger furnace. The liner made from castable refractory needs insulation around it to reduce heat loss so you need to consider more than just the cost of the castable refractory. You will also need fibre insulation and insulating fire bricks . This is where I bought the materials for may large furnace. I collected the items so saving transport costs.

Les.

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 27/03/2018 17:18:17

Thread: elec motor capasitors
15/03/2018 15:49:05

Are you sure the fault is the capacitor and not the centrifugal switch ? If you disconnect one of the capacitor wires and then measure the resistance between the terminal that the wire was connected to and the terminal where the other capacitor iwire is still connected to you should measure a resistance value equal to the start winding and run winding in series. (Expect less than about 20 ohms.) This goes via the centrifugal switch so if you get a high resistance reading then it is probably the centrifugal switch that is open circuit. (It could also be the start winding but that is unlikely.) As you mention that the old capacitor was marked 45 mF it is probably quite old. mF used to mean microfarads but now mF means millifarads. uF ia now used for microfarads. CPC (Another branch of Farnell. )is another possible source of supply. They have free delivery on orders over £5.00 so thay may work out cheaper than Farnell.

Les.

Thread: Single phase motor capacitors
11/03/2018 15:58:09

If the centrifugal switch is arcing when the motor is up to speed then there is something wrong with it. I suspect the contacts are not opening properly. The only time I would expect to see a spark from the centrifugal switch is when the contact open just before the motor is up to speed.

Les.

Thread: NVR switch wiring
08/03/2018 12:56:54

Many items have a diagram on moulded into the plastic case. There is no standard numbering system. The more information you provide the more likely to get a solution. A link to the advert where you bought it would also probably help.

Les.

Thread: help - induma mill wiring
02/03/2018 11:34:37

Some backlground information might also be helpful. Was it supplied to you in this condition ? Has it been working and then stopped working and you removed all of the wires for some reason ?

Les.

Thread: Chester DB10G
24/02/2018 12:09:10

I have olso have  had a DB10G for a bit over 12 years with no problems. I have made a few modifications. Three phase mortor and VFD. tumbler reverse. Quick change toolpost. Tailstock camlock. DRO. I have also bought some extra changewheels. I found that at the ME shows that Chester normally have a box of assorted gears. I just bought any modulus 1 gears with numbers of teeth that I did not already have. Most had to be bored out or sleeved to fit but it was worth the effort as I can now cut a much wider range of threads.

Les.

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 24/02/2018 12:10:18

Thread: Tool trips RCD intermittently
21/02/2018 17:59:08

Using an insulation tester test between the earth terminal and the live terminal and then between the earth terminal and the neutral terminal. For these tests the trigger must be held in the on position. If it is a modern insulation tester it will probably let you select the test voltage. If so select the 500 volt range. If it is the old fashioned Megger insulation tester they just use 500 volts. Report the reading you get. Is the tool metal cased or all plastic ? Is the mains cable 2 core or 3 core ?

Your staement "found nothing " is not helpful It could mean that you found zero resistance or it could mean you found no continuity which means infinite resistance.

Les.

Thread: Warco. WM280V-F
20/02/2018 19:42:35

Hi David,
It's nice to know that you found the fault. It fits the original fault symptoms perfectly. I have never see that type of crimp connector with a palce to crimp two wires. The soldered connection will probably be more reliable than the crimps.

Les.

Thread: DIY DRO read heads?
18/02/2018 19:48:31

Hi Chris,
You are correct. for some reason I was thinking of 0.244 mm (Out by a factor of 1000) I have never used magnetic scales but I have seen the track advertised somewhere but I can't remember where, (It may have been Machine DRO)

Les.

18/02/2018 16:45:18

The statement " Resolutions from 0.244 µm " is not clear. Is that the highest resolution or the lowest resolution ? If that is the highest I would not be happy with that. Do you already have the magnetic track to match these sensors ?

Les.

Thread: Completing posts
17/02/2018 12:59:30

It was not lack of thanks that annoys me. (D.A.G did thank people for their help) It was the fact that he did not say exactly where the fault was and possibly take a picture of it so that it would help others with that lathe. Dave (SillyOldDuffer) went to the trouble of opening up his lathe and taking pictures to help D.A.G.. I would expect him to do something that would help others in the future.

Les.

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 17/02/2018 13:00:06

Edited By Les Jones 1 on 17/02/2018 13:01:07

17/02/2018 08:33:51

This thread has prompoted me to see if we can get a proper conclusion to the Warco. WM280V-F problem

Les.

Thread: Warco. WM280V-F
17/02/2018 08:27:35

D.A.G,
Have you checked the connections yet that we suspect are causing the intermittant problem. I think it would be helpfull to others with that model of lathe particularly if you posted a photograph of the place where tha bad connection was located.

Les.

Thread: Tv tonight
16/02/2018 09:06:10

I had not noticed that program. I have just watched part of it on Iplayer and it is very interesting. To save others having to search for it it is on BBC4. It is repeated on Sunday 18th at 02:35 in the morning and at 11:50 at night.

Les.

Thread: Rescuing a 920 lathe!
10/02/2018 22:39:03

Here is a picture of the drivebelts on my Chester DB-10G before I modified it with a 3 phase motor and VFD

rim00009.jpg

I think it is similar to the 920 lathe so it may be some help.

Les.

Thread: Etching Aluminium
06/02/2018 08:25:21

Hi Brian,
Sodium hydroxide is just the chemical name for caustic soda.

Les..

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition