By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Studer type OB Cylindrical Grinder
21/05/2018 07:56:19

When I had an Aciera milling machine, the guy who runs Anglo Swiss Tools helped me find a source of flat belts.

**LINK**

Thread: Superglue for holding workpieces
20/05/2018 13:10:01

OK, thanks Neil. Being in B&Q (an equivalent to Homebase that Bunnings own over here) I found they had blue painter's tape so bought a reel, will give it a go.

I think the advantage of using the tape rather than just sticking metal plates with superglue is that actually you can get it apart more easily! I can imagine that a small metal part could get bent prising the glue apart.

Another thing you could try, from clockmaking, is shellac as I mentioned above. I've had mixed success as I don't have proper shellac flakes so have only been able to experiment with knotting, not so good. But I understand that that the proper way to do it is to melt shellac flakes on one part and spread them around, then apply the other part (hot) position them carefully and press together and allow to cool. Just heat to melt again and take apart.

20/05/2018 09:46:28

Coming back to my question, does anyone know the correct type number or other specified for the kind of tape that Neil mentioned please?

Thread: Myford ML10 top slide
19/05/2018 14:00:36

Do you need one? Fit a solid toolpost.

Thread: clock winding ratchet how to build one
18/05/2018 20:17:28

Above photo is 60 tooth wheel cut with dovetail cutter. One side of each tool is radial. This is for a Woodward Gearless Clock.

18/05/2018 20:15:38

img_0221.jpg

18/05/2018 10:18:00

Neil, please could you specify what sort of tape you use, and if possible a source?

18/05/2018 07:27:19

You would be able to cut a steel ratchet using a dovetail cutter, would need to mount the blank very firmly though. Later I'll post a photo of one I did in brass, principle is the same.

17/05/2018 10:03:41

The only way I can think of to make the internal teeth is to make them on the inside of a ring, by planing or filing, then solder to a disc.

17/05/2018 10:02:22

Now you mention it it is one interpretation. I think the OP needs to clarify what he means! Does his link mean "not a ratchet like this" or "not a gear but like this". I assumed that the ID was the hole in the middle in mm, but it could be the base circle in inch.

17/05/2018 09:40:29

The plastic one sounds better if you were doing cars and also looks more like the one in the video.

Can any of our US based friends cast any light on this please?

17/05/2018 07:08:38

I don't know what machinery you have but ratchet teeth can be cut using a standard dovetail cutter if you have a mill and dividing head. If you haven't, and for only 14 teeth, you could probably make one by hand with some careful marking out and filing.

17/05/2018 07:05:00

Answered my own question I think.

**LINK**

17/05/2018 06:31:22

Does anyone know what that blue painter's tape is? Is it masking tape? If not is there anything equivalent available over here? I've use the superglue chuck idea for holding clock wheels to machine the bore for example, mounting the part direct to an aluminium "faceplate", not thought of using a tape in between. I found the video very interesting, I hadn't thought of trying it on the mill though have tried shellac with mixed success.

16/05/2018 21:53:43
Modern variant of wax chuck used in clockmaking. Or shellac. Works well, smelly to take the workpiece off.
Thread: manual to cnc
14/05/2018 19:35:12

Just a thought - if you are converting a manual m/c tool to cnc, it might help to reduce the number of variables if you went for Mach 3, which has a wide user community?

Thread: Controller for a 3 axis lathe
14/05/2018 09:27:55

Think of a lathe as a mill laid down on its left hand side, then on its back. The designations then make sense, as does the odd fact that normal threading counts as clockwise spindle rotation, which it is looking from "above".

Sadly that lathe controller doesn't support probing.

Edited By John Haine on 14/05/2018 09:29:03

Thread: Advice
13/05/2018 21:27:17

+1 for cobalt drill.

Thread: Controller for a 3 axis lathe
13/05/2018 20:43:06

Yes, understood, just to say that most things need only a small number of g codes to be supported on the lathe.  I keep wondering about moving from Mach 3, but I have an increasing number of special hacks that I've now implemented that would need to be reimplemented that it gets more daunting.  My workshop is warm and dry and so far the Dell computer I bought used in probably 2010 hasn't gone wrong, I should probably plan an upgrade of some sort pretty soon!

Edited By John Haine on 13/05/2018 20:57:10

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
13/05/2018 15:02:49
Posted by Robin on 13/05/2018 10:09:10:
Posted by bricky on 12/05/2018 18:34:18:

I took some rubbish to the tip and spotted a lump of steel 9"*6"*6"

Did you stop to wonder how long the previous owner kept it in the sure and certain knowlege that he would one day find a use for it? face 1

Robin

Maybe it was no longer needed to anchor the Quorn castings under his bench?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition