By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rudd

Here is a list of all the postings John Rudd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Strip Down to Clean New Warco 250V
15/02/2018 12:29:55
Posted by mechman48 on 14/02/2018 20:53:35:

​John Rudd gives you a basic rundown on removing the lead screw... but unless you absolutely have to take it out then DON'T, plus the spring coiled lead screw cover can be nasty to your fingers...

The technique is quite simple, move the saddle completely to the headstock, thus extending the rh section of the cover. This removes most of the danger of the cover inflicting injury....then move the saddle to the opposite end, undo the fixings......

When replacing, just 'coil' up the cover ( suggest wearing gloves just in case..) slide over the leadscrew and re-attach....

No dramas, no nightmares...

Edited By John Rudd on 15/02/2018 12:30:19

14/02/2018 18:57:12

Lead screw can be left in position, preferably supported....

Just watch the covers, they are very springy...

Thread: Rescuing a 920 lathe!
14/02/2018 18:26:27
Posted by John Haine on 14/02/2018 07:58:49:

Can you fit link belts? Then you can adjust to fit.

Not that I know, the belt fitted is very narrow....5mm ?

Thread: Strip Down to Clean New Warco 250V
14/02/2018 18:23:32
Posted by Jonathan Mead on 14/02/2018 16:41:04:

How easy is it to disengage the saddle from the lead screw and remove it from the bed?

In answer to the question, easy.

Removed the lead screw cover screws securing it to the rh support block, same on the rh side of the saddle.

Now remove the screws securing the cover on the left side of the saddle.

Remove the support block from the rh end of the lead screw, wind carriage to rh side of machine, ( take off the tail stock first) and disengage from the rack....you may need to support the lead screw...

Thread: 1st lathe questions....
12/02/2018 12:12:17

One more thing to consider for tooling size choice....if you start using 16mm hss blanks and grind your own, it takes a lot longer than making from smaller blanks like 12mm,which is big enough imho....plus 12mm stock is probably more readily available from the likes of Arc/RDG etc.....

+1 for contacting Chester re gears, I rummaged through their box when I was at Harrogate last. Managed to get a couple or three gears for my 9 x 20 to make a tumbler reverse.....cost about £10 iirc..Ask for Tony, very helpful he is...

11/02/2018 17:39:55

With the original motor running at 50 hz, 1400rpm or so, a 3 ph motor running at 25 hz would give the required 50 rpm spindle speed, with the motor running at some 700 rpm...There is of course a reduction in torque running slower motor speeds.....

I've not encountered any issue with my 9 x 20 other than a slippery belt caused by lubricant ingress.....( over zealous with the oil can...)

11/02/2018 16:43:07
Posted by John Rudd on 11/02/2018 14:24:15:

Andrew,

I have genuine Gates 710 belts if you need one or two, but not at machine supplier prices. Contact me via private message if you need to.

Just been and checked....the belts are 730 not 710. Although some of the 9 x 20 lathes were fitted with the longer blt like mine.....Sorry for the mis-information.

Thread: AC Motor 4 wire
11/02/2018 14:54:24

My advice, fwiw.....scrap the motor and buy a new one.....its dangerous if you are receiving shocks from it.

You could get it tested/repaired by a local motor rewinders, but is it worth it?

Risk management......

11/02/2018 14:24:15

Andrew,

I have genuine Gates 710 belts if you need one or two, but not at machine supplier prices. Contact me via private message if you need to.

Thread: 3-Phase motor 4-pole or 2-pole?
10/02/2018 11:54:18

JohnH,

Going for a 4 pole motor doesnt mean you cant increase its speed....thats what the vfd will do for you....

As an example, my 12 x 27 lathe was fitted with a dc motor giving a top speed of around 2000rpm at the spindle.

I swapped it for a 3 ph motor, 2 pole to get near, but not near enough, so I wound the frequency up on the inverter.....ergo, if you wanted a bit more speed from your 4 pole, you could wind up the Hz on the inverter to give a bit more...( I took mine up from 50Hz - 2800rpm to 70 Hz, giving me a motor speed errr....well a bit more...you do the maths...laugh ......)

Best of luck with the conversion.

Edited By John Rudd on 10/02/2018 11:54:43

10/02/2018 11:20:36

I went with a 4 pole 1400 rpm motor when I went the vfd route on my 626 mill, purely to retain the original speeds.....

A 2 pole unit will give you twice the rpm top end if you ever needed it....but of course you can slow the motor down with the speed pot.....the other thing is, with the 2 pole motor, cooling is less of a problem at lower speeds because the motor is doing twice the rpm for the same spindle speed if thats any issue.....

Pay your money and make your choice as they say.....

09/02/2018 19:45:53

Andrew,

The bracket plate is secured to the head stock casting with a number of socket head cap screws...

I can measure mine next time I am back at the other house ( up for sale..) but in the mean time,

The motor drives an idler pulley,which also houses the clutch for screwcutting, the idler runs in a slot to provide primary belt tension.

The motor can also drive the main spindle directly, the upper 3 speeds...using the large 710 belt

Do you have the belt tensioning assembly too?

Edited By John Rudd on 09/02/2018 19:47:03

Thread: Clarke CL430 or CL500 - help needed
06/02/2018 20:16:42

From the manual, ( I located using Google...) the spindle speeds for the lathe section of the 430 are as follows..

160,250,400,650,1000 and 1600.

You should be able to determine your pulley size....

Edited By John Rudd on 06/02/2018 20:17:17

Thread: VFD problem
02/02/2018 18:42:46

Nick,

I ought to have elaborated, the Teco/IMO inverters fault when the Run button is pressed, except for the Bus voltage faults....the drive can be static and will display bus faults, either volts high or low...preventing a start.

02/02/2018 13:46:04

My experience with IMO /Teco inverters, they will display an error if there is a short or open circuit in the ouput stage...This is down to the way the inverter micro monitors over voltage/current oveload conditions, there is also a bus voltage monitor for under/overvolts conditions....Other error messages include temperature sensing of the heatsink.

Depending in the size of the inverter, discrete devices may be used or a dedicated 3 ph " chip" may be used for the high current stages...where discrete devices are used, repair is a lot easier...

Thread: Seig sc3 'ticking over'?
01/02/2018 18:54:44

Can you confirm which version of the C3 you have?

The earlier C3 has a brushed motor, the control board of which has a min speed adjustment, the later brushless version doesnt appear to have any 'user' adjustable tweaky things...( I've had both machines...)

Maybe Ketan can assist us with any technical adjustments laugh ?

Edited By John Rudd on 01/02/2018 18:56:52

Thread: What to buy at Ikea?
25/01/2018 12:57:33

I bought the Jansjo led light for my lathe, the light is now playing up.....I've had it maybe a couple of years. The led is ok, it appears to be an issue with the power supply....

Pay your money and take your choice...

Thread: Arc SX2P head drop
23/01/2018 09:55:46

A more elegant way of mounting the strut, ( I used just one on my SX2 ) would be to mount it inside the column as I did on mine....Andrew if you want details, I suggest we take this offline...

Thread: Spindle speed controler
19/01/2018 18:41:34

Ok,

We have determined that the speed controller linked to is not suitable and that the motor is ' 120 watt 240 AC)....

So how about a photo or two of what you actually have so we can help?

Thread: Cross slide improvement for a 9 X 20 lathe
19/01/2018 14:36:52

I've had two HY inverters.

The first was a 1.5kw model that I fitted to my Chester Eagle 30 mill, which had its 1ph motor swapped for a 1.1kw 3ph model of the same frame size (90  . I sold the machine on after having used it for several years...

The second inverter was the 2.2 kw version, bought in error, it was originally going to be a spare for the mill...I gave that one to my bezzie mate for his Chester mill....

The quality of theses inverters appears to be no worse than any of the European made inverters ( Siemens/ABB ) that have come my way...suffice to say, I'm not an expert.....

The pcb assemblies appear to be well made, due consideration being given to areas carrying high votages and high currents. Some form of coating is present on the board surface to prevent moisture ingress....

The main thing that lets these inverters down is the manual!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Shapiro
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition