By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Rudd

Here is a list of all the postings John Rudd has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gas Engine Identification
24/05/2018 08:20:23

Try asking the guys on here......

http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/

Thread: Discount codes and email harvesting
22/05/2018 20:10:49

I really hate websites that offer discounts such as this, and other sites like Wowcher,Quidco and the like.....it/they may save a you few bob,whats in it for them....?

Makes me very suspicious to the point of avoiding them....there's no such thing as a free lunch..

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
22/05/2018 13:23:22

Colle is the french equivalent for glue.....

'Bonded' gets my vote, but an indication of the bonding agent used would clarify .....and clear up any ambiguity..

Edited By John Rudd on 22/05/2018 13:23:55

Thread: sealed glass window failure
20/05/2018 21:41:42
Posted by Phil Whitley on 20/05/2018 19:34:15:

If they are upvc, much easier to tap the beads out with a scraper, then take them down to your local glazier and get two new ones made, they are not expensive, in fact, little more than the cost of two sheets of glass where I get mine done, and I dont get special rates!

Gets my vote too....

I've replaced a couple for our house and done one for the m-i-l....didnt break anyones bank..

Thread: Brass bar , 55 mm - ?supplier
19/05/2018 12:05:27

Macc models have 2-1/2" stock....

You could try M-Machine in Darlington...

Edited By John Rudd on 19/05/2018 12:05:46

Thread: Ajax AJ8
19/05/2018 10:22:32

I had one....

I fitted a 1/3hp 3 ph motor with a vfd.

The arbor takes standard 1" dia cutters.

I dont think it will take stub arbor with a taper fitting...There should be a draw bar through the main arbor to secure the main arbor.

Some versions had the quick action rack/gear lever for the X axis... Mine was missing, but the rack was present.

I made a new retaining nut for the front end of the spindle, the orig was badly damaged( stillsons! ), the Z axis leadscrew was remade along with a new phosbronze bush...

I sold it on, wish I still had it..

Thread: trackrod end
18/05/2018 21:39:24

As Manuel would say...'Que Mr. Fawlty..'

What did you have in mind?

Scrap bin perhaps...

Thread: Macc Models Update
18/05/2018 11:44:09

Joe,

Sorry to hear of the loss you have both suffered. I know it only too well first hand.

Our best wishes to you and your wife...

Thread: Chester lathe help
17/05/2018 07:12:10

Crusader manual here....

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/171684/2071526/Compact_Crusader_Manual.pdf

Thread: Warco WM250 Lathe and Warco WM18 Milling machine (Advice please)
16/05/2018 17:02:06

The Chester 9 x 20 has a single phase induction motor fitted as standard.

My 9 x 20 has been upgraded to a 3 ph motor with a vfd( along with a qctp..)

(As an aside it will be up for sale in the near future.)

16/05/2018 10:27:32

There are other companies that supply.....Toolco, SPG, Chester....depends on what you want and how much you want to pay...

14/05/2018 21:27:45

As always, there are two sides to a story....thus far we have only the op's side of things.

The fact remains that Warco have not yet commented on ...Maybe they will or not...

Something for prospective buyers to consider?

At least he got his money refunded...

Edited By John Rudd on 14/05/2018 21:29:45

14/05/2018 12:34:07

Any further update on this?

A successful conclusion?

Thread: EMCO FB2 electrical help
13/05/2018 16:43:45

Sam,

Just make sure that the replacement capacitor has a working voltage minimum of 400v AC....then you should be good to go. The capacitor although having a value of 6mfd, will probably have a tolerance anyway.

Ebay suppliers ought to be able to help, although there maybe local electric factors there in Oz that could help...( keep the local economy going...)

Thread: How to Make A Cone Union
09/05/2018 23:34:54

I clicked the "like" button.....well would have if there was one....

Great write up many thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

Pipework looks great too, as others have said...yes

Thread: GDPR
07/05/2018 15:52:53

I dont think the 'Data Protection ' act and so called privacy policies do enough to protect us......from the scroats out to fleece us...

As a for instance, Neil had an email about his bank, was asked to click a link.....fortunately he was savvy enough to call his bank directly....but how was his mobile fone number acquired?

I joined BT for their internet service, not long after, despite being ex directory, I bombarded ( might be a bit strong..) with calls from 'BT Technical' telling me there's an issue with my router....again, I called BT, was told its a scam....but how did they get my number?

Its all a bit annoying......

Thread: Chester Conquest mini mill
07/05/2018 15:03:25

The Chester Conquest mill that I had differed slightly to yours.....mine had a bigger 550 watt brushed motor driven by a KB Controls circuit board...unfortunately my motor gave up on me, I got a replacement from Amadeal for around £90.... Sold the mill on after that..

Thread: Dianne
03/05/2018 15:00:34

Good to hear she is returning to fold....laugh

Thread: Warco WM250 Lathe and Warco WM18 Milling machine (Advice please)
02/05/2018 09:55:27

What puzzles me about the likes if Warco/Chester/Toolco/SPG etc, is they are small in number when it comes to staff....I cant believe they are inundated with orders/stocktaking/ preparing/repairing machines that they are so busy to pick up the phone and attempt to resolve outstanding issues like this....

I had an issue with a DRO display purchased from one supplier, contacted them about the issue and was told 'I'll get back to you in 5 mins'. Sure enough got the call, and a replacement was on its way....

C'mon Mr Warren, its not that hard to sort this out for this forum member and his mill?

Edited By John Rudd on 02/05/2018 09:55:45

Thread: Anyone been involved in a car crash recently
01/05/2018 12:31:09

I'm insured with Aviva.

Had an impact from a tp, two yrs ago. I was parked at a petrol pump when I was reversed into.

Reported the incident to my insurers. Didnt hear anything for weeks....got fed up, repaired my car myself, it near a new fron bumper reinforcing section and various plastic parts for the grill. Cost in parts around £180.

Rang Aviva and asked how the claim was progressing.....got passed to some third party service provider....told them I got sick of waiting and had the car repaired. They told me to submit the repair costs. Sent the invoices in and got paid out in less than two weeks.....and they were claiming the costs back from the tp's insurers...result.

If I hadnt called Aviva and chased them up, I'd still be waiting!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition