By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gas Engine Identification
24/05/2018 08:33:37
Posted by John Rudd on 24/05/2018 08:20:23:

Try asking the guys on here......

http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/

I am on this Forum and there will be somebody that can help, just be aware that you may get a load of "experts" giving there views before the right answer comes along. I personally dont what it is as I'm a Lister collector.

Martin P

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
23/05/2018 21:16:20

Rod,

I use Avast and have no issues with any W10 updates.

Martin P

23/05/2018 20:49:47

Lathejack,

May I ask the name of the engine.

Martin P

Thread: Studer type OB Cylindrical Grinder
21/05/2018 08:03:11

There are several agency's in the UK for Studer grinders, I worked on them in the 70's as a machine tool fitter with Lucas CAV.

Martin P

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/05/2018 20:04:02

Yesterday saw the Blenheim displaying over Shuttleworth then it and a Spitfire passed overhead in formation on their way to the Midlands around four pm, this afternoon after I had returned from Stockwood Park, Luton I was un hitching my trailer when the Spitfire passed over on its way to Duxford with the Blenheim two minutes behind.

Martin P

20/05/2018 19:45:19

Bazle,

Were you the gentleman with a blue boiler suit tide around your waist and the St Albans crest on his shirt, I think also walking with his good lady, who came and looked at the three stationary engines running in the yard. I was sat behind the left hand engine as you faced us. I never left the yard to see what else was there.

Martin P

Thread: Aldi 3 drawer steel toolchest
13/05/2018 14:12:00

I was in Halfords last weekend and bought a Halfords one reduced from £75 to £35 larger than the ALDI one with provision for padlocks on the lid clamps,now got to sort all my lathe tooling to put in it.

Martin P

13/05/2018 14:11:41

I was in Halfords last weekend and bought a Halfords one reduced from £75 to £35 larger than the ALDI one with provision for padlocks on the lid clamps,now got to sort all my lathe tooling to put in it.

Martin P

Thread: Ml10 oilite bush
12/05/2018 20:20:35

Is it in a blind hole, if yes make or find a piece of bar that is a good fit in the bush, fill the bush with grease and push the bar into the bush and give it a sharp tap and the grease should push the bush out, or use a junior hacksaw blade and split the bush, dont forget to tape the part of the blade you hold.

martin p

12/05/2018 17:40:21

I went to Old Warden today to a Aeromodellers day and until the rain came crashing down it was a good day with control line, free flight and radio control aircraft.

The highlight of my day was the sixteen loose formation Tiger Moths in the distance over towards Henlow, I managed a picture of the specs.smiley

The Blackburn's pilot had the required silk scarf could be seen blowing in the wind and the Autogyro was performing loops and rolls.

img_5895.jpg

img_5892.jpg

img_5896.jpg

img_5903.jpg

img_5911.jpg

Martin P

Thread: Recent Purchases
10/05/2018 18:30:31
Posted by Ed Duffner on 10/05/2018 18:11:59:

The scriber thing looks like one of those tools to mark the centres of clock wheels/gears onto a clock frame.

Ed.

So the Vee would sit on a mandrel mounted on the centre shaft for the hands perhaps.

Martin P

10/05/2018 17:33:30

Bob,

Thanks for that, I did wonder the same, my stationary engines have large enough castings that it could be used on.

I initially only bought it because it was different.

Martin P

10/05/2018 17:20:35

Gentlemen,

I spent the weekend at the Stradsett Vintage Rally with my Stationary engine and whilst there I took a wander around the engineering/junk stalls and came away with these items.

A pair of brass adjustable wedges.

A Trammel which has fine adjustment on one of its scribers

Another scribing device

and a Modelcraft knife, abrafile and hacksaw set.

I have a question, can anybody identify what the scribing device is for, the vee obviously sits on something and it is well made but looks home made.

img_5882.jpg

img_5883.jpg

img_5885.jpg

Martin P

10/05/2018 14:23:08

I agree with Howard, I've been to the museum on my way back from Internal Fire Museum, this is complemented by the journey over the mountains between the two museums where the scenery is also good.

I spent most of yesterday sat on the roof of my leaking garage roof cleaning the corrugated asbestos sheeting because the troughs had been filled with composted material from an old tree I recently had taken down, it kept my pressure washer busy blasting the moss and compost off but it doesn't leak anymore so worth the five hours of work.

Martin P

04/05/2018 14:14:18
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 04/05/2018 12:40:57:
Posted by Ian S C on 04/05/2018 11:28:56:

A wee story about Harvards and Wirraways. From a distance they look roughly similar, they came from the same design, but it is how the fly that is different. It is said that you learn to fly in a Harvard, then go and fly a Mustang for a good few hours, you are then about right to fly the Wirraway, I believe they had a slightly different wing design, maybe without wash out, it was an earlier design than the wing on the Harvard, and this among other things would make the stall a bit lively.

Ian S C

Reminds me!

Driving over the A69 last Thursday afternoon and cresting a hill, I saw a low winged plane flying up the valley towards me, with two landing lights very bright. Looked unusual and as it passed almost overhead I saw tapered wings and squared off tail surfaces - it appeared to be a Mustang.

Neil

Most likely one of these,

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=raf+turboprop+trainers&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB780GB781&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=_cXlf_CAkXB4SM%253A%252C7zU_Z4wSb00yDM%252C_&usg=__ZAS7NLRr3CNBT_bznIVaXajZ-mI%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjE3omTkezaAhXoDcAKHcBuAC8Q9QEIQDAF#imgrc=_cXlf_CAkXB4SM:

Martin P

04/05/2018 14:11:06
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 04/05/2018 12:15:41:

My deceased father worked for Heston Aircraft as their chief Draughtsman 1937 - 1957, leaving to join Vickers Weybridge. He told me of a 'secret' operation at the works to convert a light bomber to evacuate King GeorgeVI in the event of Germany invading England.
The conversion was done at great haste and completed within a few days. The basic conversion was to fit a wooden floor in the fuselage, lay a few yards of carpet, bolt down a couple of armchairs and install an Elsan toilet behind a curtain. A Basic oxygen system was also installed, and more than likely extra fuel tanks. The chairs and carpet were supplied by Bentals of Kingston !
Does anyone know of this work, the type of aircraft etc. Of course, it was never used for that purpose, but I wonder what happened to it ?
BobH

Several types of aircraft were converted for that type of use including the Lancaster, BOAC used Mosquito's, wellingtons and whitleys were also converted.

Martin P

03/05/2018 17:59:12

Andrew J where you thermaling over the South East Bedford industrial area around 16:20 then moved over Cardington hangers and then headed off in the direction of Dunstable, after that a pair of Red Kites thermaled over over our village until they were dots in the sky. Shuttleworth had a couple of aircraft in the air circling around in formation.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 03/05/2018 17:59:55

Thread: Car boot sales
29/04/2018 14:24:15

Our so called local papers don't list car boots and I wouldn't know where to find them to visit.

Martin P

Thread: Phone Scam
29/04/2018 08:02:44
Posted by Jon on 28/04/2018 22:43:11:

Looked at BT Guardian when first released but i/we have never ever owned any phone that has lasted more than 12 months no exageration except a Panasonic now in to its 8th year! Believe me tried the lot inc BT past models.

Cant believe theres some old favourites going back 18 yrs these scammers are still trying it on ie Nigeria and Western Union and from Microsoft.

My BT Gaurdian is at least eight years old and apart from replacing the rechargable batteries has not missed a beat.

Martin P

28/04/2018 16:11:59
Posted by Mick Charity on 28/04/2018 15:41:06:

It strikes me as rather odd that what are totally obvious scams (to the most of us) get talked about, yet the REAL scams go totally unmentionable.

Has no one here ever bought an extended warranty?

What was the APR on that damn mortgage?

Nobody here ever got 'divorced' & discovered how divorce lawyers work?

How did you go on when it came time to buy your annuity with your pension fund?

1. No

2. House mine now so not issue

3. Wife wouldn't allow it

4, financial advisor who came FOC as he was contracted by the company I worked for.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition