By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New Member intro - with a bowed ME beam aluminum bedplate question
23/02/2018 14:54:41

The soap trick reminds me of the temperature indicator for aluminium sheet when annealing with oxy/acetelene torch. Turn the acetelene up and coat the sheet with a thin even layer of soot. Neutralise the flame and warm the sheet up so the soot just burns off evenly all over. I have to confess to not having done it only seen it but no doubt others will have.

regards Martin

Thread: What are these electronic components called?
23/02/2018 09:33:06

You also get them in Surface Mount.

regards Martin

Thread: WHICH LATHE AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO A MYFORD PLEASE.
20/02/2018 13:25:07

Instead of a new one at £8000 I bought a refurbished one for £3500 in part exchange for my old one.

regards Martin

Thread: MYFORD
20/02/2018 12:30:42
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 20/02/2018 12:27:26:
Posted by Journeyman on 20/02/2018 11:18:58:

I'll just fetch my hard hat...

You could of course just buy a nice little HAAS TL1 wink

John

The Haas TL 1 is not little.

Tony

It is compared to a ST-55

**LINK**

20/02/2018 11:49:39

Thats a reasonable assesment Neil.

The way I read it is the spares operation kept the company afloat and with aging owners the incentive to modernise just wasn't there. With the death of one of the principles the company was voluntarily wound up, I assume so that the assets could be shared out. It didn't as some suggest actually go bust.

Owning a Myford is certainly not the only game in town and I would suggest that in many circumstances it's not the best choice given today offering. However the things that made it so usefull and successfull in the past still remain and cast a long shadow even in given the range of options available today.

All that said I'm not sure I would buy a new one, in fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, but given the options of a refurbished machine as a trade in for your old one I didn't need to.

regards Martin

20/02/2018 10:51:09

As a Super 7 owner my take on the advantages of the S7 is it's flexibility. With a T slotted cross slide it becomes a horizontal boring machine. Adding a simple lever makes it a hand shaper. The headstock is simple to divide and a secondary spindle can easily be fitted to the boring table and you have a clock wheel cutter. Add a dividing head to the boring table on a vertical slide and you get yourself a gear cutter. Due to the legacy of it's long history there are numerous attachments designed for it of which I have built many which make it even more usefull.

Oh and you can also use it as a lathe.

So if you want to make larger scale traction engines or are planniing a multi machine workshop you probably don't want a Myford but it's amazing what you can do with a Myford and not much else.

20/02/2018 09:49:25

Well they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and lathes.co.uk list at least 5 different far eastern clones of the Super 7 and ML7. All nowt to do with Myford.

**LINK**

There are some images on the second and third pages.

regards Martin

Thread: MyFord Super 7 spindle movement
19/02/2018 09:39:07
Posted by norm norton on 17/02/2018 10:35:58:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 14/02/2018 13:46:27:

Set up the spindle as below.

Edit........

Spindle should be completely free of front bush.

6.Loosen allen screw on collar at end of spindle.

7. Using the Allen key tighten collar as tight at it will go by hand.
Inner tapered roller races are now locked together with correct pre-load.

Excellent description of the sequence Martin. Vastly better than the Myford Manual.

I just did the job yesterday before reading your list and wish I had it to hand at the time! Although I have done it twice before it is like re-inventing the wheel as I stare at the Myford Manual to remember what on earth I did last time. This time I wanted to put back the Vee belt in place of a Linked belt.

However, I have a query. The bit that Myford make confusing is the tightening of the collar to 'push' the inner races together - the manual is not clear in describing by how much this collar must be tightened, but does say that too much and the ball races are over loaded. That makes sense to me as the outers are held apart by a spacer so the inner faces cannot bear up to each other. Yesterday I put a DTI on the spindle nose to measure longitudinal end float and tightened the collar to leave about 0.0002" play (two tenths).

Are you saying that hand tightening with the Allen key as a lever will never put too much loading on the bearings? I don't disagree with this view but I am inclined to leave space for an oil film.

I do also wonder if this adjustment of the inner races should be done when the outers are temporarily clamped together, but obviously with the spindle taper well free (one turn) of its seat.

Norm

Hi Norm

Only just read your response so sorry for the delay.

The instructions came from Malcolm at Myfords (Nottingham) and are verbatum what they did in the factory, which is why I frequently post them.

Hand tightening with the Allen key will be fine,

You are correct. When adjusting the preload the outer races are clamped together.

The oil should form it's own layer without you worrying about a space for oil.

Glad you have it all sorted.

regards Martin

PS the worst thing that can happen with too much preload is you reduce the rear bearing life. They are cheap enough and easy enough to replace so don't get too het up about it.

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/02/2018 09:42:28

Thread: TDA2030A Audio Amp
16/02/2018 11:48:27

yes Neil but noise is a different beast.

You have a signal say a finger plucking a string, a transfer function defined by the response of the system (everything between the finger and the ear) anf the output (motion of the eardrum). Fidelity is the delivery of the input signal to the receiver (ear) with no loss of information. Noise from power supplies for example is just unwanted extra input signal.

regards Martin

16/02/2018 09:17:07

Intrigues me all this talk of sound quality and auditoria. There are two ways of approaching the idea. The first being that the sound is only and wholely the playing of the original instrument and singer and that anything coming after that messes with the sound. The second is  that the entire system is taken into account from the instrument or singer to the final listener ifit be live or recorded.

In the second case it is perfectly reasonable to consider all the steps along the way as being part of the intended sound. The acoustics of a concert hall change the sound in just the same way that the resonances of an instrument do. Therefor the hall becomes part of the instrument and cannot be said to be detracting from the sound quality. There are of course rubbish hall acoustically just like ther are rubbish instruments. In a similar way consideration of the dynamics of sound systems can be factored in to the original recording. This is exactly what the Dolby system does. It modifies the original sound knowing that the sound system will restore the intended frequency response.

There are indeed churches with hollow tuned pillars that work better with music in particular keys than others and resonances that suit some kinds of music better than others.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 16/02/2018 09:17:28

Edited By Martin Kyte on 16/02/2018 09:19:12

Thread: Steam locomotive more technologically advanced than modern airliners for its time?
15/02/2018 15:34:12

oh and the one that fell off the Tay Bridge flew for a bit. . .

15/02/2018 15:33:09

well there is the Flying Scotsman ?

. . . . . . . and the Battle of Britain Class . . . and FireFly and . . . .

15/02/2018 09:22:32

This does raise the interesting question of how do you define technically advanced.

I would suggest it is not the same as complexity which would correllate strongly to the componant count.

Perhaps a helpful guide would be how the hardware 'manages' the particular physics involved in the device.

To take the example suggested of the Steam engine and the Jet engine the physics would be largely Thermochemistry (combustion) Thermodynamics (energy transfer) and Fluid dynamics (gas flow).

On this basis the steam engine having a less well developed theoretical model on all three counts than the Jet engine should be more technically advanced assuming that a closer understanding of what is actually going on with the physics allows a closer approach to an ideal design.

Simplicity does not per se equate to technical primitiveness. Jet nozzles can now be developed extremely precisely using finite element anlysis, something that was not possible when designing steam injectors for example. That said with modern computer modeling it should be possible to design a more technically advanced steam engine than anything that was around in the past. Maybe a new category for a Model Show Trophy?

So yes I would say the Jet engine is more technically advanced than the steam engine.

regards Martin

Thread: Self tapping sheet metal screws
14/02/2018 13:50:27

Can you not use spire nuts or some other type of cage nuts.?

regards Martin

Thread: MyFord Super 7 spindle movement
14/02/2018 13:46:27

Set up the spindle as below.

Do your clocking test with the chuck removed and something with a 2 MT in the spindle. This eliminates any movement caused by the chuck and or it's mounting.

If you are still worried blue it as described by Niel Lickfold above. That will accertain if the bearing bush is oval.

Myfords fit new bushes in the lathes that they refurbish and I was informed that these days they don't scrape them. Give them a bell to see if they can supply a new bush if you need one.

Spindle setting up is as follows.

1. Power Down

2. Remove all belt tension.

3. Remove Chuck

4. Rotate RH collar one complete turn. (top towards you).

5. Rotate LH collar one complete turn. (top towards you).

Spindle should be completely free of front bush.

6.Loosen allen screw on collar at end of spindle.

7. Using the Allen key tighten collar as tight at it will go by hand.
Inner tapered roller races are now locked together with correct pre-load.

8. Back off LH collar one complete turn + a bit (top away from you)

9. Rocking the spindle by holding the spindle nose tighten the RH collar by hand (top away from you).

10. When you feel resistance to movement stop.

11. Collar should be just tight enough that spindle can just be moved by hand holding the nose.

12. Do up the LH collar by hand (top towards you).
You should still feel resistance when turning the spindle by the nose.

13. With the crescent wrench on the LH collar tap the end smartly with a 12oz hammer.
The spindle should move forwards by a couple of tenths and be completely free running.

14. With the lathe running slowly (lowest direct speed) put the oil gun in the front oil cup and pump until oil issues from the front bearing.

Hope this helps.

regards Martin

Thread: What quality vs cost considerations drives your buying?
13/02/2018 14:27:23

There is also the cosideration that there are possibly 2 categories of 'cheap' tools.

Cat 1 Tools that do the job but don't neccesarily have a long life. (Not so serious.)

Cat 2 Tools that do actual damage to the job such as ill fitting screwdrivers or spanners that chew up screw heads and round off nuts. Much more serious and really should be avoided completely.

oh and there may actually be a Cat 3 . Tools that kill you like cheap ladders for instance.

regards Martin

13/02/2018 11:05:20

Cheap tools make quality tools last longer.

Always have a set of cheap drills in hand otherwise you WILL use your workshop set around the house.

regards Martin

Thread: A quality aluminium alloy (for Myford castings) PRIMER?
13/02/2018 11:01:39

Have you emailed Myfords and asked what they do?

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 13/02/2018 11:01:58

Thread: TDA2030A Audio Amp
12/02/2018 13:57:44

At least your hands are probably better insulators now than in your sweaty fingered youth.

You probably shouldn't listen to anything recorded after mid 80's through it but then you probably don't anyway.

Go for it at least for old times sake.

regards Martin

Thread: JYE Tech DSO Shell
12/02/2018 10:52:34

That is astonishingly cheap. I just bought a Tektronics100MHz mixed signal scope for work for around £1500 which came with standard probes.(OK not a comparison with the hobbiest scope) Checking out the intelligent probes which are generally aimed at automatic test equipment and they wanted twice the price of the scope for the probes. and that was each! Electronics pricing is wierd, it's a pure numbers game. Looks very handy Niel.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition