By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: English dialect
16/04/2018 13:52:22
Posted by KWIL on 16/04/2018 12:02:56:

I knew of one person who had made a life's study of these things and he could place a person within 25 miles of where they came fom.

I had a satnav like that !

Thread: Pickling acid
09/04/2018 16:21:01

So what's wrong with Dry salts then as an alternative.

I suspect that Sulphuric acid (diluted from concentrated) was always used because of it's availability rather than it's efficacy. GLR have been selling dry salts for years as it's simpler and safer to ship.

regards Martin

Thread: what is this tool for?
09/04/2018 11:58:18

Where did it come from and was it amongst other stuff. If so what.

regards Martin

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
04/04/2018 11:24:10

Do what you do in the workshop Fowler. Bolt everything to the floor and then surround it with other stiff so you can't get at the bolts. That should stop her tricks.

regards Martin

Thread: 6" Burrell, Finished at last !
03/04/2018 16:08:47
Posted by RICHARD GREEN 2 on 17/03/2018 10:58:25:

Hello Bazyle, The castings are by EKP Supplies in Devon, as far as I know they are still available.

Jason, Over the past 7 years I built up a collection of casting sets for other models,

Stuart S50

Stuart compound marine engine

Alyn Foundry Robinson gas engine

Fairbanks gas engine

Savage engine "Nicholas"

Stuart No9

2 x Stuart steam hammers

Stuart 6A compound marine engine

So I've got plenty to go at, my only decision is , which to start first !

The Burrell is for sale, If it sells that's OK, if it dosen't I don't mind, though I would gain a lot of workshop space if it did sell........................

Richard.

See, my trouble is I would not have been able to resist doing 'just a bit' on some of that other stuff and then ended up with multiple part built projects. Lovely engine and well done for not getting distracted.

regards Martin

Thread: Battery Lifespan
03/04/2018 15:20:46

Or just build a sundial.

03/04/2018 09:51:07

I second that with regards to sleep the pocessor. The other trick would be to use a higher voltage to pull the solonoid in and a lower voltage to maintain. You would obviously keep the pulse width as short as possible.

regards Martin

03/04/2018 09:12:07

Regarding retirement/employment I just realised I am working for a new employer, having worn the other one out. The MRC is no more long live the UKRI. Quiite pleased that I took my pension and went part time before the event though. Nice to get those things bolted down tight before the new lot try and change stuff.

regards Martin

03/04/2018 08:58:01

Posted by ChrisH on 31/03/2018 23:48:15:

I'm not using that 16th century technology he said, before spending nearly 3 hours trying to work out a 'quick and easy' 20th century way of doing it

I guess we have all been there at some time or other. Trouble is your head tells you that 'progress moves forwards with time' so logically old methods must be less good. Sometimes the mantra trips you up.

It's the same with employment. The next promotion must be an advance because it's a promotion and you fail to consider if you might just be happier staying where you were and avoiding the extra work/worry/extra hours etc.

regards Martin

Thread: Carborundum (silicon carbide) grinding wheel
28/03/2018 13:50:18

Well it's about as close as you are going to get. Welding is essentially forming a new crystal lattice of metal atoms or molecules grafting forms a cellular lattice of living wood. Probabbly the closest welding gets to grafting is diffusion bonding where metal molecules or atoms diffuse across an interface forming a single crystal.

regards Martin

28/03/2018 11:46:49
Posted by George Clarihew on 27/03/2018 20:20:03:

Can you weld wood ? wink

Yes it's called grafting, but the wood needs to be alive.

regards Martin

28/03/2018 11:43:21

If you want straight bits for things like benches etc. Buy studding. Some stores should be doing better but wood is not like metal and does wriggle about with moisture content. Store tend to stack wood on end in racks instead of flat 'in stick' with lathes between pieces so free air circulates. You do have to be selective as to what you want out of any piece of wood. Timber can be straightened by spraying with water and clamping for a few days but it's a faff unless it's a special piece. Generally I buy sawn timber oversize and machine down to what I want.

regards Martin

26/03/2018 15:25:20

Well tomorrow actually. Off to drive Black Prince on the North Norfolk Railway with the Cambridge Astronomical Association (Steam Section). It's so good when you can combine hobbies.

regards Martin

Thread: Castable refractory - any experiences with Ciment Fondu?
26/03/2018 12:34:23

Hi Robin

Not sure you need a recipe. Supplies of ciment fondu are readily available from ceramics suppliers (just google it)

Follow the instructions on the bag and add as much vermiculite (or perlite if you prefer) as you feel you can get away with. It's ages since I did it so I cannot help much more. Two of us built a gas fired pottery kiln at sixth form so that where my expirience came from.

regards Martin

Thread: Myford lathe headstock wick oiling ystem?
26/03/2018 12:19:27

You can replace the felt wick by removing the spindle. No idea why you would want to replace the spring, they don't really wear out. If you really must replace the spring you need to take the headstock off as can be see from Fig 27 here

**LINK**

as you can see the bore for the spring is larger than the hole in the headstock bearing and the other end is underneath on the mating face with the bed.

regards Martin

Thread: Pitch Circle on DRO problem
15/03/2018 13:55:27

It's doing exactly what it says on the tin. You asked for five holes with the last hole at 0 (or 360 deg). When designing the interface for the DRO the requirement is for a general way of spacing a set number of holes around a circular arc.

If you cannot be bothered to calculate the end angle for a full circle of holes you specify an extra one and don't drill the last one because it's already where you put the first one.

regards Martin

Thread: Wooden Propellor
15/03/2018 09:22:04

Beech if you want to save money.

Martin

Thread: WM16 Mill Arduino Power Feed
15/03/2018 09:19:46

Why not keep things simple and run the motor power through the limit switch(s). Or if you want to get fancy encorporate an emergency stop relay held on by your limit switches and estop switch wired in series.

It's not normal to have safety systems controlled by electronics, computers or uprocessors. You just keep things as simple as possible with contacts that just knock the power off.

regards Martin

14/03/2018 11:54:06

Oh and as for what am I doing today, working my last full time week. My pension cuts in on the weekend so I have to reduce my hours to 3 days a week. Quite looking forward to it but it does feel a little strange.

regards Martin

14/03/2018 11:48:12

An old mate of mine used to have a mini moke (remeber them? If he parked in Hemel Hempstead multi story he just used to get out and push it under the stairs. With the top down it was only about three feet high, sort of like a rather large roller skate.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
ChesterUK
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition