By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Between centres boring bar bit grinding
25/09/2017 13:59:49

Do make a little holder, piece of bar, correct size holein the end and a grubscrew to nip it up. If you use square bar you get constant registration on the grinding rest. Much better than fingers or pliers.

Ignore me if you are already there.

regards Martin

Thread: English dialect
25/09/2017 13:53:40

Maybe that's because couple means six ?

;0)

Thread: a rat in the house!
25/09/2017 09:36:24

. . . . swallowed the spider to catch the fly . . . . etc .. etc

25/09/2017 09:29:34

Get a mongoose.

Martin

Thread: square moulded plastic cutting tool box?
22/09/2017 15:16:39

You need to order a lot of nice , new , expensive tools. Give the tools to your freinds and you get to keep the boxes.

;0)

Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 22/09/2017 15:17:05

Thread: Omron Yaskawa inverter
20/09/2017 11:52:36

Off the top of my head it should be a linear pot. Inverters usually operate with a 0 to 10V input for the command speed which is generated by OV and 10V from the unit connected to each end of a variable resistor with the wiper wired back to the speed demand input. Check you have a linear pot and that you have the wires to the correct places.

regards Martin

Thread: Drill flute orientation
20/09/2017 09:45:35

OK, it was just a whimsical question.

Judging by some of the responses some people perhaps didn't quite understand why I asked the question.

It arose because of late I have noticed that I habitually set drills with the flutes vertical and thought "that's strange I wonder if it makes any difference and if it does why".

So I was really talking about lathes that are in good alignment, but recognising that nothing is ever spot on. It could be assumed that horizontal alignment is going to be worse than vertical on amachine with low wear as there has to be some clearence so that the tailstock can slide. Clamping holds it down onto the bed but doesn't really ensure tight alignment horizontally on flat shears. The argumant does not really hold on prismatic beds. Therefor if generally the alignment assumed to be less good horizontally in general and if there is no time cost in orienting a drill one way as opposed to another and there is a preferrential orientation it probably makes sense to do it if you could be bothered.

In reality, I think the practical benifits are almost certainly un-measureable to the precision we are ever going to need which is why it was just a rhetorical question. I just wondered if there were any 'old wives tails' out there.

regards Martin

19/09/2017 14:38:48

I'm not worrying at all, as I said I've never noticed any difference, it was purely a whimsical question.

regards Martin

19/09/2017 12:35:18

My thinking is that, as speedy says, for normal small errors you cannot practically notice any difference. However my thinking is also that for most reasonable lathes there is always going to be a side to side error rather than a vertical error. For small misallighnment the contact surfaces of the drill are going to be the two linear cutting edges. shaped like a V. If they are vertical and there is a small misalignment horizontally each flank will still touch the centre drilled hole at the same time. If they are horizontal and the tailstock is out in that direction one flank must touch first and be unsupported by the oppsite flank at that instant. So as it's as easy to mount with the flutes vertical as it is horizontal all other things being equal you may get a better start to the hole.

What I really wondered was had anyone ever heard of this being mentioned as good practice before. It may be that it's just a curiosity and of no practical value but I am if anything a curious person.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/09/2017 12:35:53

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/09/2017 12:36:40

19/09/2017 11:01:55

Hi Chaps

As you all like pondering odd subjects how about your thoughts on this one.

When drilling from the tailstock it is clearly posible to orientate the flutes of the drill any way one chooses. The question is 'does it make any difference'. The assumptions are that the drill is in perfect condition but the tailstock is slightly out in the lateral direction but is vertically on axis. The drill is small enough to flex slightly.

When starting the drill in a small centre hole is the the drill more likely to start true if

1 The flutes are horizontal.

2 The flutes are vertical

3 It doesn't make any difference what-so-ever.

regards Martin

PS The question arises because purely out of habit I mount drills with the flutes vertically.

Thread: A most unusual metal
19/09/2017 09:13:59
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/09/2017 17:15:52:

We used to have a zinc can opener, much bulkier than a pressed steel one.

I think it's in one of my scrap boxes... hmm I may have a use for it...

I've got a tin can opener !

The other interesting thing about zinc is it screams when you bend it cold.

regards Martin

18/09/2017 16:19:24

Have a look at this data sheet

**LINK**

It's plated to look nice and shiny. Zinc is used for sacrificial anodes on canal craft and is similar to aluminium regarding softness, gets quite malleable if heated to 200 deg C and solders easily as you discovered.

regards Martin

18/09/2017 13:49:20

"Could I just say it's zinc?".

. . . . . . "No sorry there isn't time"

(on loan from Monty Python)

18/09/2017 10:42:20

As I said, Zinc.

Martin

18/09/2017 09:33:38

Backshells are usually die cast zinc overplated with nickel when they are not metalised plastic. Zinc solders easily.

regards Martin

Thread: How can I keep a deeply drilled hole straight?
15/09/2017 08:34:57

Or if you have enough space put a bigger hole in the part and sleeve it.

regards Martin

14/09/2017 16:04:28

Can't you bore it? Or at least bore as far as you can

regards Martin

Thread: English dialect
14/09/2017 08:48:49

The inspection department wish to know which species of gnat ?

Martin

Thread: Low profile boring head plans?
13/09/2017 09:57:16

Can you not cut internal dovetails on a horizontal mill with a single angle cutter with the work set over at the dovetail angle? Just asking.

regards Martin

Thread: All Metals Come From The Death Of Stars
12/09/2017 14:55:47
Posted by not done it yet on 12/09/2017 14:35:21:

were made in stars that eventually exploded.

A very simplistic view,. Not all stars explode. Our Sun eill not. A star needs to be about 2 1/2 times the size of ours to end its life as a Super Nova. The Sun will become aa red giant and then shrivel to a white dwarf. It most certainly will not be just hydrogen and helium by then.

Why is it simplistic. It just means that the universe is seeded with heavy element by stars which did explode. That would be generally stars in excess of the Chandrasekhar Limit which is about 1.4 solar masses.

regards Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer!

Find Model Engineers' Workshop!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Meridienne Mid Mod Eng Show. Aug 21
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
TRANSWAVE Converters
Reeves 2000
Advertise With Us
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition