By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin Kyte

Here is a list of all the postings Martin Kyte has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
25/04/2017 13:42:52

How about a poster's Tips Competition.?

regards Martin

Thread: Dark Lady Clock
25/04/2017 11:46:08

Hi John.

Your problem could well be depthing. You spoke about deeper engagement ? The action should be that the contact between wheel and pinion takes place after the line of centres not before. If to deeply engaged the action tends to be changed to before the line of centres and friction will cause a wedging action where the teeth are driven into closer mesh thereby increasing the friction and so on. Action after the line of centres causes the teeth to disengage and therefor wedging cannot take place. If you suspect you have a locking up issue aim to depth the train less deeply and the problem may well disappear.

regards Martin

25/04/2017 09:53:59

Hi Andrew, hope all goes well with the job.

If I understand, you seem to be aiming at semi-retired status.The biggest issue as I see it, for skilled people in part time work is how to avoid 'mission creep'. If you are good they will want you to do more. I have a friend who retired as a very senior nurse and wanted to pick up a day or so a week in a care home and she finds it a constant struggle not to get promoted into the managers job. If you are not careful your career restarts all on it's own and bang goes all your spare time.

regards Martin

Thread: Lathe Chuck Attachment Methods.
19/04/2017 09:43:58

I think most of the postings have covered the question.

I do have one thought to add regarding the Myford and similar lathes. Primarily the Super 7 and it's ilk are centre lathes where work is either turned between centres in the spindle and tailstock tapers or in collets, again using the headstock taper as a reference surface. Chucks being a secondary option. The threaded nose allows the use of a closing nut for collets and is available, with the register to attach scroll chucks. I know things have moved on and as turning between centres and faceplate work are less heavily relied on the use of scroll chucks has perhaps dominated perhaps masking their less important historical role in lathes of this type.

regards Martin

18/04/2017 14:56:01

Or PTFE dry lube?

regards Martin

Thread: Soldering gun, not iron.
12/04/2017 11:21:17

Or if you don't want to use bullet connectors you could consider solder sleeves.

**LINK**

regards Martin (a different one)

Thread: Myford Super 7B Apron Hand wheel install
11/04/2017 10:51:25

Yes. Myford do specify this or equivalent.

**LINK**

regards Martin

11/04/2017 08:21:43
Posted by Fergus Stirling on 10/04/2017 20:55:53:

id note when i took the apron off that the oil reservoir was bone dry (and clean) should this not be filled to the level?? the gears dont look worn and are oiled but i expected to see it full up, not dry....

Yes it should. I bought a refurbished Super 7 with power cross feed + Gearbox last year and Myford ship them dry. Don't know where yours came from but check your gearbox too.

regards Martin

10/04/2017 11:47:02

You can drop the apron off by undoing the 4 allen screws on the top of the saddle. You will probably have to remove the half nut assembly too if you want to remove it completely. This will allow you to either refit the hand wheel or drill and tap for draw screw as suggested above.

Alternatively lock the saddle, get the handle on as far as it will go then pull it forward and twist so that the gears are in mesh. If the friction between the gears is greater than the sliding friction on the shaft it might just slide home. Paper up the shaft and key first and apply oil.

regards Martin

Thread: Rivet and Bolt cropping
07/04/2017 09:55:30

Piercing saw.

regards Martin

05/04/2017 09:15:04
Posted by John Randall on 04/04/2017 22:54:32:

Drill the Nail to relieve the pressure or get it done by the professsionals ?

The way he's going he would go right through the thumb. Red hot sewing needle is the easy way.

regards Martin

PS hope it gets better soon Nick

Thread: Magneto file
04/04/2017 16:19:55

Similar story with com files (com as in commutator) google it and you get DEC executable batch file.

You can however still buy the things.

regards Martin

Thread: New pound coin
03/04/2017 16:17:41

Maybe not so odd? Is not a pound called a pound because it was a pound weight of silver?

Take a look at

**LINK**

I'm no expert in all this, I just remember stuff.

regards Martin

30/03/2017 13:51:30

John. If Sedna doesn't have a moon it cannot have a month. If it had any women they could not be synchronised to a non existant moon.

For Sedna a year means something(how long does it take to go round the sun), a day means something(what is its rotational period), a month has no meaning(how long does the non existant moon take for one orbit).

regards Martin

Thread: What tooling and collet should I get
30/03/2017 12:20:07

Posted by Julian taylor on 29/03/2017 15:53:32:

building my own dive gear,

Jools

That's brave of you. Isn't that a little 'mission critical'

regards Martin

30/03/2017 11:01:43

How do you get a lunar cycle without a moon?

30/03/2017 10:06:24

Day length is approx 10 1/4 earth hours and there are 9749502 1/2 days in the year. It doesn't appear to have a moon so there are no months. All this means you don't get many Christmas prezzies and if you received 12 MEW's per year you would get a new editor each time. At least you would have plenty of time to complete the bit of your serialized project before the next one turned up (with or without the corrections)

:0)

Martin

Thread: Dividing Head
29/03/2017 16:12:51

If I were you I would purchase George Thomas' book Workshop Techniques which covers the VDH and the pillar tool and the Myford Headstock dividing head in drawings and words. It's a very informative read even if you don't build any of the items. I built my first VDH just from drawings when I was just starting out and came across the book later. I have just remade a number of items on the VDH just because I was not perfectly happy with them (they worked fine).

regards Martin

Thread: New pound coin
29/03/2017 14:29:00

yes

Thread: Lifetime Guarantee ( Ford)
29/03/2017 14:13:39

I don't understand why exhausts don't rust out like they used to. I've nearly worn out my latest Fiesta and it's still on the original exhaust

Martin

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
Warco
Reeves 2000
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition