By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ChrisH

Here is a list of all the postings ChrisH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: English dialect
23/04/2018 23:07:14

I can appreciate 'snap' being used by miners, it was back then a very mining area, but 'bait'?

23/04/2018 13:36:23

'Snap'. - I have never quite got my head round the term 'snap', meaning (I think) elevenses or packed lunch, carried in a 'snap tin' or 'snap box'. Only ever heard the term in North Nottinghamshire/South Yorkshire area.

A 'midges' is well known in engineering circles meaning a very tiny amount, as is 'Donald' (from Donald Duck) meaning broken, and describing a ship as a 'disnay ship' - further refined by enlarging to 'this disnay work and that disnay work' of Scottish or Glaswegian extraction.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
12/04/2018 10:42:05

Ian, just because it is new doesn't mean it can't be faulty - though in this case Mick's pump fortunately was a good one.

Got a new oven control thermostat from Rayburn. Fitted it and found it was controlling about 40 deg.C low - the cooker needed to be on max to get the oven hot enough to cook. Memsahib not best pleased, so say the least. Phoned Rayburn Technical who after hearing the tale of woe said no, it wasn't adjustable - all it needed to be so was a suitably placed little adjustable grub screw - so it was faulty and needed changing. So replacement thermostat hopefully arriving today, fingers crossed!

Mike, we (i.e. me and the lads off the ship I was on) did enjoy the trip down The Gut, but it was an experience of the more basic kind - bit like the Reeperbahn and round about there in Hamburg in some ways. Glad the pump worked and all is good.

Chris (ex-MN engineer)

Thread: Glow plug lengths
12/04/2018 10:19:54

Keith, I quite agree that for a 2 stroke the end of the plug should be flush with the surface of the combustion chamber, or cylinder head in most realities.

However, I understand that the end of the plug in a 4 stroke should protude into the combustion space, hence the 4 stroke plugs having that extra length after the end of the threaded section. As there is more time in a 4 stroke engine for the plug to cool down between combustion firings than there is in a 2 stroke engine, the bit that protrudes into the combustion space is more exposed to the heat of combustion than a 2 stroke plug, flush with the surface, would be. This exposure allows the plug to get hotter than it would have done if left flush and thus by the time next combustion stroke comes around it is still hot enough to do the job for which it's there.

I guess the reverse of this is that if a 2 stroke plug protruded then it would get too hot and burn out more quickly; keeping the end flush helps ensure that the plug is a bit protected by the surrounding metal of the combustion chamber and thus can maintain a more suitable maximum temperature.

Chris

11/04/2018 19:30:49

"The Gut", Malta, yes, once in about 1970 or very early 1971. Very basic it was, a bit too much so for me, but the Jolly Jack Tars seemed to be enjoying it.

Chris

Thread: Glow plug lengths
11/04/2018 19:24:30

My understanding is that the so-called 'long' type F plug for the 4 strokes is longer as the nose of the plug, the business end with no threads, has to stand proud of the cylinder head so as to receive more heat from the combustion and get and stay hotter for longer while the engine does twice as many strokes as the 2 strokes, unlike the 2 stroke plugs which end flush (or thereabouts ) with the cylinder head.

Thread: Where have all the Mondeo's gone
10/04/2018 17:20:40

"This is the tea-room topic. Everything except sex, politics and religion is fair game." Blooming 'eck Neil, for some poor sad souls there's nothing left for them to talk about.

But cars are an interesting topic, as lads we could talk about those all day, so lets all let it roll on ........!

09/04/2018 11:47:58

My mate had a Mondeo Estate as a company car which he then bought at the end of the term. Did about 250,000 miles in it. The local Ford garage used to joke and ask if there were any guarantee items to do at each service in the end...........

08/04/2018 23:27:13

A supposedly true story on company cars. At a dinner party boring yuppie was banging on about his latest company car, how wonderful it was, how fast it went, what super handling it had, a Porche of course, doesn't everyone have one, The guy next to him was rather quiet, saying little, so boring yuppie turned to him and pointedly asked what company vehicle he had in a very condescending manner. A Tornado the quiet chap replied, I'm a Squadron Leader in the RAF. Dead silence from the yuppie, completely put in place and shot down.

08/04/2018 11:26:03

I totally agree about badly crab pots and bits of discarded fishing nets fouling the props of sailing yachts - an absolute nightmare, especially at night. Mike is right that is not only a danger to Yotties lives but also to wild life. If one could link the danger to the culprit and punish then that would be good but in real life that is impossible.

My comments were not exactly a rant, but more comments on what I had observed in everyday sailing jaunts, and of all those who 'sail' upon the water whether by sail, motor or paddle, and their interaction with each other and with the amateur or 'hobby' fisherman; we are all persuing our hobby and at our own expense, but the lack of consideration to other engaged in their hobby on the same waters I found to be staggering and often arrogant and certainly not in the spirit of the sea, where seafarers traditionally considered and helped each other. For me it often spoilt the enjoyment of what should have been a lovely day - sailing with nice company and especially if the sun was shining and the winds fair and not fierce!

Commercial fisherman are something else but at the end of the day they are trying to earn a living; the seafarers I refer to are not.

We sailed a Prout catamaran - the peace and quiet under sail was most valued, with the bonus of being able to hoist the drive leg out the water when the engine was no longer required adding to the experience. There were times when nothing could beat it, brilliant days out.

And I totally agree that a Yottie is not someone who helms a motor boat. I was trying to be very kind. Motor motor boat drivers are generally a much lower form of seafaring life it seems, and in many ways I blame the dealers who make little of the problems of handling a boat - "oh no trouble at all sir, just like driving a car". Many of them do not take the trouble to learn the theory by attending the Yachtmaster evening courses or try and learn the skills of practical boat handling - witness one dosy 'skipper' in a 40ft gin palace trying to pick up a mooring buoy in Newton Creek next to me one sunny Sunday afternoon and making a complete bollocks of it despite having twin screws and a bow thruster to help him, pathetic!

07/04/2018 22:59:00

Sorry Sam, despite what you say and with which I have a fair degree of sympathy, I still blame boaties because of their lack of consideration to others. With the crowd I sailed with, if we saw fishing going on we would keep well clear so as not to disturb them; unfortunately, not many others did. A lot of fishing gear can be damaged by inconsiderat boaties sailing too close.

Chris

07/04/2018 22:47:06

Sam, I no longer sail but when I did there were a lot of inconsiderate sailors on the water, in dingys, sailing yachts, gin palaces and noisy stink boats, from the motor boats that roar past your yacht on a calm day 50 yards off in an otherwise empty day, leaving you bobbing in their wake with your sails flapping after you have spent the last half hour trying to get the sails to fill and pull on a calm-ish day, to the dingys and Hooray Henrys in their hired yachts flaunting the rules of the road and expecting you to get out of their way "because we're racing, don't you know". No I don't and I don't bloody care if you are, you stick by the rules of the road like every other vessel, and if I'm the stand-on vessel I'm standing on and you keep clear of me.  Then getting into port and finding the Hooray Henrys noisily drinking and loud voice partying well into the early hours, disturbing the peace and quiet of everyone else unfortunate to have moored up close by.

Just sail down the Solent on a sunny summer Saturday, and then more up overnight in places like Yarmouth or Cowes or Lymington, and see what I mean - it shocks you. Why it shocks I don't know, as you see the same on any road in the UK where 'me first - I can do what I like' prevails. Total lack of consideration of others, just me me me.

So I can quite believe Mike and agree with him when he complains of yacht-ties and other water users upsetting fishing folk - if only people would think and have consideration for others.

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 07/04/2018 22:52:44

04/04/2018 21:13:16

Thanks for the replies on how to do brackets without the smilie - would have been OK but didn't have a 5 year old around when I needed one to put me right.

Would have had a brew day today but had to go to a funeral instead, no brew day tomorrow as lunching with a long long time friend from way back (1966 would you believe ) so brew day/shed day coming Friday for sure! First full grain brew for me, looking forward (hopefully ) to 40 pints of my version of Timothy Taylor Best Bitter coming my way soon!

Chris

31/03/2018 23:48:15

Going back to Baz's comment yesterday about doing a job and having a load of, shall we say, less than fully trained engineers comment on how a job was done and then finding a better way of doing things. In the late 1980's I had a young engineer on a' year long release -work experience' course for his Bsc or something assigned to my department. One day I asked him to work out the slope across the dairy floor - we were milk bottling 'factory' - so the new conveyor we had coming would have the right sized legs at each station as the conveyor crossed the floor.

I explained the quickest way was to to use a water hose - run a clear hose across the floor, filled with water, with upstands at each end, and then measure the height of the water level above floor level at each end and the distance between them, and from that the slope was easily arrived at. I'm not using that 16th century technology he said, before spending nearly 3 hours trying to work out a 'quick and easy' 20th century way of doing it and failing miserably, and then resorting to doing it as I had suggested in no time at all, before coming back muttering that perhaps in the 16th century they knew a bit about measuring relative heights after all!

What this illustrates is that the young may think they know it all, but they dismiss age and experience at their peril

Chris

PS How do you get rid of these blooming smilie things when you just want brackets?  Other than by changing brackets for dashes?

Edited By ChrisH on 31/03/2018 23:49:45

Edited By ChrisH on 31/03/2018 23:50:04

Edited By ChrisH on 31/03/2018 23:51:46

Edited By ChrisH on 31/03/2018 23:54:04

Thread: Percolated coffee
25/03/2018 19:28:12

The powered stuff, instant (so-called )coffee, is absolutely disgusting and should be banned.

My predecessor at one job I had was a Dutchman. The Dutch know a thing or two about good coffee. When the secretary made him a cup of instant (so-called) coffee he told her she should put it down the drain as that was all it was fit for, he was that impressed. Very true.

Thread: Aldi Calipers...
23/03/2018 21:55:00

I have given up on digital calipers, wherever from, - not really due to battery life, more down to erratic readings - the digital ones I have owned seemed to have an undesirable 'snowflake generation' side I couldn't cope with.

I now have gone back to vernier calipers for rough work, or work that doesn't call for really accurate measurement, and micrometers when accuracy is required. OK, it may be a tad slower, I'm a slow worker anyway so no odds there, but it is always reliable, and they don't fail just when I need it most. And I can trust them!

Chris

Thread: Adaptation of grinding wheel to a spindle
23/03/2018 21:42:10

Harold Hall has designed a very good 'holder' to fit grinding wheels, it should be on his web site I guess. I have made one, excellent!

Chris

Thread: Inverter Control Query
20/03/2018 19:47:34

Many thanks for all the replies - they have steered me in the right direction I am sure!

John, I have sent you a message.

Chris

20/03/2018 14:05:28

I am looking to replace my single phase motor on my mill to a 3 phase motor with inverter control. That bit doesn't worry me. However, what does puzzle me is how to incorporate an emergency stop without causing damage to the inverter as I understand to shut-off the power supply to the inverter in such a sudden is not desirable and could cause damage to the inverter.

How have other folk done it?

Chris

Thread: Yet another bandsaw question
12/03/2018 09:29:22

In all the years I have had my 100A, the only problems I have had is the rubber drive band on the drive wheel went so no drive - easily fixed, a spare was bought and fitted (a very easy job), the auto cut-out at end of cut is not set up to cut-out - I've lived with it and been too idle to spend the time to sort it, and on Saturday the blade snapped. That was the original blade and has been on for several years now, so fitted the spare that came with the machine and away we went again, no worries. For me, that's a good record.

Chris

Edited By ChrisH on 12/03/2018 09:30:16

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Shapiro
Sarik
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition