By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Completing posts
17/02/2018 10:16:46

Or if starting a thread asking for help just sing of with "Thanks in advance" wink 2

Thread: 1 Inch Minnie Boiler. Scrap or not?
17/02/2018 10:11:19

My Greenly drawing has the crown stays as rivired over threaded stays just like this boiler.

Probably just as easy to cut the cylinder from a block of GM or bronze bar as the Minnie one is not quite teh same and needs machining on all surfaces anyway.

Thread: Here's another nice mess I've gotten myself into...
17/02/2018 07:24:35

ER collet block to hold by the round spigot and then fix that to a face plate and bore out to 20mm if you only have the tooling to cut on the lathe. No ER block then just bore a hole in a bit of square stock and drill & tap a cross hole for a grub screw to lock the part in position.

If on the mill hold by spigot and use a boring head or home made cutter.

Edited By JasonB on 17/02/2018 07:41:57

Thread: Tooling to buy with Warco WM250 and WM16?
16/02/2018 18:26:21

On my non inverter 280 I just put the direction switch into neutral so there is no motor braking and that makes it quite easy to turn the chuck by hand. not sure if the latest inverter ones will do this.

Thread: Magic erasers, useful
16/02/2018 10:20:47

Brian, there is a big clue in the thread title, if you google "Magic Erasors" you may well find themsmile p

Thread: Stuart D10 reversing gear timing - eccentrics
15/02/2018 18:28:10

Or with the craknpin at the bottom the max throws should be at 10 & 2 O'clock positions with the 120deg between them.

This is for the No 1 but D10 is the same setup

d10 timing.jpg

15/02/2018 18:19:14

120 apart gives a bit more lead (30deg) than I usually use but should still be OK

If you look at the engine from the eccentric side when the crank pin is at the top nearest the cylinder you should have the max throw of one eccentric at about 4 o'clock and the other at about 8 o'clock

Sounds like you may have put the eccentrics on 180 out of position.

Thread: Strip Down to Clean New Warco 250V
14/02/2018 19:54:03

That's why they now come with springs on the chuck key so you can't leave them in the hole.

Not really worth stripping it anymore than you have already, did not on my 280 and still going strong after 9yrs. Start pulling it about too much and you may void the warrantee!

Chis Mine drips but I just top up as needed.

Edited By JasonB on 14/02/2018 19:55:05

Thread: First project
14/02/2018 07:30:55

David, if it was an imperial question why did you not give the answer in ctr height as is the old English waywink 2

Besides Ian the OP has a Warco WM250, had he had a Chester DB10 that would have been a different matterdevil

But most importantly Daniel is from Framce so would understand Metric better and not appreciate some of the comment.

Edited By JasonB on 14/02/2018 07:33:05

Thread: 1 Inch Minnie Boiler. Scrap or not?
14/02/2018 07:24:01

Greenly has the square firehole, takes the blower off the tubeplate hence the hole and also continues the barrel to form the smokebox rather than a separate one like the minnie. Still lacks the pump pad but like the minnie that position can cause problems so may have been intending to mount elsewhere.

Always a bit hard to tell from photos but looks to have been quite well made

13/02/2018 20:11:35

Butt joint and strip is acceptable, though an external strip is preffered these days. Get a club boiler inspector to giove it a once over and take it from there.

Does not have the pump mounting pad of a Minnie but they can be done without. There are other features that make it look something other than a Minnie, maybe a Greenly which was earlier.

Edited By JasonB on 13/02/2018 20:17:36

Thread: CONTACT DOUGIE SWAN
13/02/2018 19:23:34

He is not online at the moment so probably not had a chance to read your message

Thread: 3"x5" brass strip, 1/8" thick
13/02/2018 18:43:16

Unfortunately they don't have online ordering. I usually e-mail a list and give card number and ask them to phone or e-mail back when they have a total inc postage then I give the the 3 digit code. You can also phone orders in.

I see Macc models also list it and they have online shopping, link down right of page in shopping partners

Thread: Flywheel help please
13/02/2018 18:36:18

I deleted my suggestion as his is 6 spoke not 5 but if that will do you his contact details are on his blog

I think you are going to have a hard time finding what you are after. 5 spoke flywheels are not that common so that will narrow things down and the other factor is weight as aluminium ones don't work as well as ones made from something heavier

Can I ask what it is for?

Edited By JasonB on 13/02/2018 18:37:11

Thread: 3"x5" brass strip, 1/8" thick
13/02/2018 18:18:13

M-machine do 3" x 1/8" flat brass strip, they may cut you less than a foot but will certainly supply a 12" length

Thread: A quality aluminium alloy (for Myford castings) PRIMER?
13/02/2018 11:27:13

Also ask the maker of the finish and U/C you are going to use, not much point on applying a primer if it is not compatible with these.

13/02/2018 07:29:38

Or for the metrically minded 250mm swing and 500mm between ctrs. Eg the Warco 250

Thread: tube or rolled?
13/02/2018 07:27:57

usually done for ease of construction, less work and one less joint to be made. Also I doubt most of the boilers on YT are that big or for scale models where you get less choice in availbale tube sizes so may have to roll your own.

On other deciding factor is that when doing the boiler calculations you have to make an allowance for a joint in the barrel as there is potential weakness so may well have to use a thicker and therefore more costly copper sheet.

Properly designed rolled and joined barrels are acceptable.

Edited By JasonB on 13/02/2018 07:31:49

Thread: Tooling to buy with Warco WM250 and WM16?
12/02/2018 19:20:29

Smallest ER 32 is 2.0mm which has a holding range of 2.00 down to 1.5mm.

Stock 4-way toolpost will need the tools packing to height. It is easier to adjust the tool height with a QCTP but they are not essential to start off with. If you spend a bit of time shimming each tool to height then stick the packing to the tool so you can swap them over quickly after the first effort. You can also leave the most commonly used 2 or 3 tools in the post then just spin it round for which one you want to use and then use the vacant slot for tools that are not used that often.

12/02/2018 17:38:18

Most of the designs for these simple "wobbler" type engines tend to be on the small side as beginners don't like to risk laying out for big bits of metal or have the capacity in their machines. The larger oscillating engines tend to move away from the simple valve arrangement as per the one on Steves site and have slide valves operated buy various forms of linkage and eccentrics which all start to become more complicated so are not ideal for the beginner.

You could have a look at something like this which is a horizontal design not unlike that of Steves but is does have a double acting cylinder (steam pushes piston both ways) so will be more powerful. If upped by say 50% you could run it with an 8" spoked flywheel which would have a similar effect as the now 6" one to the drawings. The main base would be better built up from 3 pieces of plate rather than carving from solid but otherwise should be doable.

You could scale up steves design and lay it on it's side but I would look for a double acting one rather than single.

J

Edited By JasonB on 12/02/2018 17:39:45

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Shapiro
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition