By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JasonB

Here is a list of all the postings JasonB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam boiler help
27/05/2018 06:56:36

Best bet is to talk to whoever will inspect and certify the boiler before you cut or buy any metal.

You don't see many Smithie type boilers that big. As the diameter of the main barrel goes up the ration between heating surface and water volume goes down. May have a job making 90psi and any usable volume of steam.

Top of my head I would say 3/16" stays, 1" spacing and 4mm endplates. But go by the inspector and/or do some calculations.

Edited By JasonB on 27/05/2018 07:53:15

Thread: 1/2" roughing end mill
27/05/2018 06:53:14

Thinking about it again if this is the slot for the toolbit you won't get much of an advantage using a rougher on a slot, assuming your mill is not that meaty you may only be able to use 2-3mm DOC which does not make the best use of the serrated sides of a ripper.

Half decent 12mm 2 or 3 flute cutter to get to the bottom and finally wided off with that to get your desired 1/2". Short series will help keep any chatter down and save you paying for length you won't need.

Thread: Filling traction engine boiler
26/05/2018 20:19:10

It's an MJ thing, they like the big hole at the top of the tubeplate you could do without it, none of Hainings 2" ploughing engine boiler shave one or the 2" minnie.

Thread: 1/2" roughing end mill
26/05/2018 20:08:54

Being a rougher you would need to finish the sides anyway. Why not use a 12mm rougher and then finish with a 1/2" 2-flute.

Real question is why did your existing 2-flute not like it? Would need more info on that.

Thread: Source of good HSS lathe tool blanks
26/05/2018 17:03:30

MSC will do Eclipse ones at about £12 a pop.

Thread: The Workshop Progress thread 2018
26/05/2018 14:27:54

Yes that is a possibility, the strange thing is a few of us over on MEM have all been building at the same time and use the same burner but mine is the only one not getting hot, Graham has suggested reducing the OD of the tube so will try that first.

Thread: Wobbler Pivot
26/05/2018 13:20:55

Paul, can you put a link to the video, it may be a known design.

Best thing to do is draw it out as crank throw and distance between crank shaft and pivot will also affect how far the cylinder moves to open and close the ports.

26/05/2018 13:16:32

Mark it does have a shroud but it was making it hard to get the extra flame into the right spot so I took it off, did not get hot enough with it in place. Height of where the heat is applied will advance or retard ignition.

Thread: Help with Twin Victoria Flywheels
26/05/2018 13:11:55

You can use a stiff indexable boring bar mounted upside down in the tool post slot nearest to you or if using a bar that takes HSS toolbits then you can grind one up so the lathe can run the usual way.

Thread: Lathes and more
26/05/2018 10:23:11

Probably based on a horizontal mill where the cutter can be mounted either way round, the keyway in the cutter is a big give away.

26/05/2018 10:18:52

Started the weekend off on a good note with getting the Robinson X-Type to run for the first time. Still need to play with the hot tube burner as it needs a bit of extra heat at the moment but at least I know everything else is working OK. Bit of a poor video as I only grabbed the phone and that was in my left hand.

Thread: Wobbler Pivot
26/05/2018 06:50:42

Single or double acting? Double are much more likely to be central where as a single acting can be towards the end.

Edited By JasonB on 26/05/2018 06:50:54

Thread: Clean hands?
25/05/2018 20:46:30

Orange Swarfega for me, smells better than the green and the pumice gets the dirt of better

Thread: Latest for sale ads.
25/05/2018 07:07:19
Posted by Adam Mara on 24/05/2018 21:50:56:

Anybody had problems trying to email the advertising contact 'ben.rayment@myhobbystore.com' I have tried twice and it keeps being rejected.

Ordered a new mill today, so want to sell my old one.

Ben is the contact for commercial adverts. You either need to click classifieds on the top black bar to place an add on the site or e-mail it to Neil (less than 35 words) to go in MEW or ME

Thread: 1 1/2 inch Allchin
25/05/2018 07:02:03

This photo of Andrews shows what the cutter should look like.

Thread: Yahoo problems
24/05/2018 19:43:05

Photobucket is now under new ownership and they have dropped the silly costs., think its $20 a year, no adds and 3rd party hosting which is the same as the old "20" package I used to pay.

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
24/05/2018 19:04:41

Yes lets get back to proper engineering terms and methods and have "light press fit" "firm press fit" and " shrink fit" for these the male part will have to be turned to  "full" nominal size to varying amounts and the female will have to be "shy" of nominal. At least the novice knew where he stood with these terms and could easily measure them with steel rule and firm leg callipers.crook

J

PS Neil is it's a sponsored article you will have to use "Truloced"

Edited By JasonB on 24/05/2018 19:07:49

Thread: 1 1/2 inch Allchin
24/05/2018 18:49:31

It's the way Bill Hughes suggested doing it in his original article. He does suggest gashing first which is simply cutting 20 shallow slots on the wheel at 75degrees equally spaced. This helps the wheel to start turning rather than risk the tap acting like a roughing mill and just eating a chunk out of the wheel in one place.

24/05/2018 17:40:33

If you have a screw cutting lathe it is not too difficult. Basically you make an overlong worm from steel, cut off the end to use as your actual worm and the bit that remains on the bar has some straight flutes cut into it much like a tap and then case harden it.

The blank wheel is mounted horizontally and fed into the revolving cutter much like this

Edited By JasonB on 24/05/2018 17:41:21

24/05/2018 13:42:13

Not sure if one was ever available but Reeves may have done them at one time. The book and build articles describe the method to hob one yourself.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition