By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Evans 6

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Evans 6 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Morse taper spec.
25/05/2018 21:26:29

ARC euro trade catalogue has the tapers listed "for reference". Set your top slide with a sine bar and you are good to go.

Thread: Saving a toolholder
25/05/2018 09:11:19

Most likely the heat from welding did the trick. A good save better than trying to drill the screw out.

Thread: Brass bar , 55 mm - ?supplier
19/05/2018 19:27:00

At those prices I would be making them out of a decent grade of aluminium. Are they like the seal retainers found in models like Ariel front and rear hubs?

Thread: Latest for sale ads.
19/05/2018 19:21:41

They are still in the same place for me.

Thread: Hi from leeds
18/05/2018 09:31:08

Welcome along John. Ask away with any questions, always someone on here will know the answer.

Thread: Show and Tell Event for Forum Members?
17/05/2018 09:03:44

I am another who missed the first post. Put me down as being interested although I am not a model maker (Motorcycles are my interest) I would attend from an engineering interest.

Thread: Bent leadscrew?
16/05/2018 14:28:14

As apprentices the old turners told us to "Trail our hands" on the saddle feed wheel/handle. This was to prevent the weight of the hand wheel rising and falling giving a poor finish.

Thread: Recommissioning an old motor
13/05/2018 10:18:41

Interesting subject. I have a "Wolf" branded drill a huge lowish revs high torque job. Bought second hand in around 1965 it is on a stand and I have a 1/2" chisel morticer attachment for it. I have not used it for 40 years and would not dare to try it, reading this post I think I will find someone to check it over and replace the cord. It will then sit in the shed until I fall off my perch knowing it is safe for its next owner. Or go in a skip....

Thread: Colchester student cross slide - what bolt threads?
11/05/2018 09:01:27

Not sure on the round head models but later Colchesters I used where UNF/UNC.

Thread: Irish Road Racing on TV - starts this Monday night
11/05/2018 08:57:12

Thanks for the heads up, I go over to Northern Ireland 2 or 3 times a year for the racing.

Thread: dro
10/05/2018 09:17:08

Ian, with you being based in Northern Ireland it is difficult to try a used unit on your kit. I do still have my old front panel that I could send over for you to try. The buttons are all unresponsive but it may eliminate the fault so that you know a good panel would be the fix. The £300 console sounds good though because the scales seem bombproof.

Thread: drilling a 20mmx 300mm Hole in cast iron
10/05/2018 09:10:07

Plus one for Jeff's gundrilling. I spent my working life in mouldmaking. as a DIY job though we never like spending money so the last time I was faced with a similar job I modified an old long series drill from my building kit of DIY stuff. Namely an SDS drill, cheap to buy and do the job if the hole size / straightness is not an accuracy issue. Certainly better than any brazed on D bit type. The SDS drill shank is soft enough to turn to suit your equipment.

Thread: dro
09/05/2018 16:03:01

Ian, where in the world are you ? The guy who found me my used panel is based in Walsall West Midlands, I can find a phone number if of any use.

09/05/2018 12:37:11

I was in this situation last year where my Newall Spherosyn would work but all the buttons became  unresponsive to set zero etc. I was fortunate enough to obtain a used front button/display panel for £70. Failing finding one I would have imported a complete system from China for about £180. That would have been the last resort because I did not want the work of fitting new scales which would mean moving the lathe away from the wall. Enquiries I made at the time drew a blank on any other display working with my existing scales and I did ask several places.

Edited By Chris Evans 6 on 09/05/2018 12:37:56

Thread: New old member now hiding in Lincolnshire
07/05/2018 21:24:25

I advise taking your T2 toolpost along and trying the toolholders for fit. I have had some awfully poor examples for my T1. The best for fit/price where from RDG.

Thread: 2 inch face mill problems
07/05/2018 09:52:56

I run a couple of face mills on my Bridgeport, a 40mm and a 50mm with three and five teeth respectively. Both use a triangular 16mm tip. Being a tight wad I buy TPUN160308 turning tips and grind them by hand on a diamond wheel. They cut well give a good finish and last well between touching up the cutting edge. Much more cost effective than designated TPKN milling tips.

Thread: Introduction
05/05/2018 06:12:59

Welcome along Matt, sounds like you have some interesting machinery.

Thread: The Ageing Engine
04/05/2018 07:43:10

13 Harvards, that would be worth seeing. When I was at school we would cycle over to Aldridge in the West Midlands to watch the Harvards coming in for service/repair. Happy Days.

Thread: Homemade collet chuck alignment issues
02/05/2018 13:20:51

The last soft nose morse taper shank I had to machine was awful with 0.015" runout. but as you have machined yours in situ it should not be a problem. I think looking at your set up you could have an accumulation of errors a thou or two here and there adding up. Some work finding out why your register is not seating should get you to a useable state.

Thread: Aldi 3 drawer steel toolchest
27/04/2018 14:32:34

Mouse hole could be a tooling aid for locating on the press tool/folding jig.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition