By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Head

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Head has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The more we look at space the weirder it gets..
14/03/2017 12:08:59
Posted by Geoff Theasby on 13/03/2017 10:31:26:

... Plus, the plane of the Solar System is in agreement with the plane of the Galaxy.

Actually, I thought we (sol) were at about 65deg wrt the galactic plane?? Not certain, but just look at the angle it makes across our sky at night.

Or I might be completely wrong!

Roger

Thread: Preventing Rust
15/02/2017 00:10:33
Posted by Martin King 2 on 14/02/2017 09:28:37:Our way round this which works very well is to use sardine paste bottles with holes in the lids and fill with old fashioned moth balls.
Cheers, Martin

Martin, what is the thinking behind mothballs and rust prevention?

Roger

Thread: Old lathe on Ebay
02/02/2017 00:58:53
Posted by Bandersnatch on 01/02/2017 22:34:41:

I love it when I click on these UK-links and auction ad tells me "May not post to Canada" laugh

Or the classification 'Used' on a fifty or hundred-year-old item.

Thread: Mitsubishi Boring Bars
08/01/2017 23:32:33

Thanks Neil. I've never had a problem with EZ Laps separating, but they do load up fairly easily (especially the super-fine), so I generally have a little pot of kerosene and a toothbrush on the bench. I use them for touch-ups on HSS and brazed carbide tools that I reshape with a diamond disk in a Dremel-style tool.

Roger

08/01/2017 00:11:16
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 07/01/2017 06:17:20:

Here is the micro threader, Great work there Danny.

micro-threader-6mm-shank.jpg

That's a nice-looking tool Neil. What wheels do you use (size & grit) for grinding such small features?

Roger

Thread: Name plates
07/01/2017 23:36:26

Thanks Mark. I was afraid the story was going to be something like that - plain blood, sweat, and tears. It must have taken an age for the scraping-back and touching up!

+1 for talent and perseverance.

You're right about toner variability. 15+ years ago, my Laserjet 4MP would produce the most solid black infills that you could ask for, and it was possible to create 6mil / 6mil trackwork interspersed with large power and ground areas. But it grew old and I eventually replaced it with a Brother 5350 - great for normal printing, terrible for pcb artwork. Apparently the toner that Brother use is different to the earlier toners (according to something I read in one of the pcb forums). Certainly it isn't a patch on the LJ4.

Roger

Thread: Mitsubishi Boring Bars
06/01/2017 23:42:59

Interesting, Danny. Do you have any idea of the price?

Roger

Thread: Ferrous cleaning wheel for my bench grinder?
05/01/2017 23:51:53

Thanks for that, Harry. And that link is really useful yes.

Roger

05/01/2017 00:01:13

Harry, that's a useful note if your memory is correct. Do you recall if the 'reversed polarity' period was of the order of seconds, minutes, or....?

Roger

Thread: Mystery tool
03/01/2017 00:41:15

Thanks for the link Mike. In particular, I found robjon44's description very useful. They sound exactly like a quick 'first project' for 2017.

Roger

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
02/01/2017 00:35:40

Bl**dy hell, David, I haven't finished last year's yet frown.

Roger

Thread: Name plates
28/12/2016 23:50:16

Hi Mark, that plate looks really good yes. As you say, getting any real depth of etching consistently is very difficult, but if a shallow etch is acceptable, then getting sharp, high-resolution linework is quite straightforward.

I am particularly interested in the red and black infill that you have achieved - could you please give us some details on your method and materials for achieving that, and also some close-ups of the finished plate.

My 13 x 40 has no plate for the threading dial, only a table (in a poorly photo-copied manual) that looks like it was scratched out by a one-legged chicken clutching a blunt pencil! That page in the manual is now deteriorating through constant reference, so I've been 'thinking about doing something' (i.e. procrastinating) for a while.

Roger

28/12/2016 01:07:28

My only experience with chemical etching is making pcbs for electronics (I've made hundreds over the years), so it's all shallow etching. To obtain 1/16" deep etching of acceptable quality (clean steep edges on your lettering, lack of undercut, etc) might not exactly be a doddle in a 'kitchen-table' type of setup.

I'd suggest a reasonable bit of googling first, and enough material for lots of testing. I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

Just my two cents...

Roger

Thread: Free Shipping .... of a turret mill !?!
27/12/2016 23:58:39

I give up on trying to understand their numbers. It sounds attractive, especially to someone in the market for such a machine, but Michael W 's post says it all;

Free shipping - to where, exactly? (into my workshop?; to the nearest FedEx depot?; to the nearest port? )

E&OE

Errr, well, no, that meant ....

And a guaranteed delivery time of 23 days??? - Fine, if it's in-country, but otherwise...

I could imagine a lot of hassles. But then, a simple click on 'Contact the seller' might immediately resolve everything smiley.

Maybe I'm being too critical. Maybe the listing just needs a bit of work on its presentation to be more convincing.

Roger

27/12/2016 14:31:35

Yes, certainly a strange one ...

Posted by mark smith 20 on 27/12/2016 09:47:47:

Well if the machine weighs 1800kg and the package for shipping weighs 500kg then there`s a 1300kg piece of it missing somewhere!smiley

Sorry 1250kg for the smallest mill , still 750kg missing somewhere.

Edited By mark smith 20 on 27/12/2016 10:07:21

Seeing as it's free shipping anyway, maybe it will come in bits'n'pieces - a knee here, a column there, etc. All just nice 500kg bite-sized bits. Sort-of Ikea style, with an Allen key and a stamped spanner - "Some Assembly Required".

And yes, David, the coupon would be most welcome...

Roger

PS Michael I just re-read your post - earlier today I had changed the country selection in the shipping tab and it seemed to show free shipping everywhere, but always by FedEx or TNT. UPS was always $127k (although generously marked down ( "You save: US $508,200.03 (about 80%)" ).

Maybe they should spend their $5 coupon on a new calculator

Edited By Roger Head on 27/12/2016 14:45:38

27/12/2016 01:53:48

Only God and Google know why, but, when searching for a particular stepper motor, Google threw up this_link . My first thought was 'Wow, $2000 for a Bridgeport-style mill'; my second thought was 'Crikey, free shipping to Oz'. Then I nearly sprayed my cornflakes over the desk when I saw the UPS shipping charge - $127,050.01

All the prices are in USD of course, but ignoring that, and ignoring considerations about possible quality concerns etc, it struck me as a strange commentary on our modern world that you can advertise a 1250kg brand new machine tool with free shipping across the globe at such a low price.

Note the package size; 5m x 5m x 5m. There must be an awful lot of bubble-wrap around it smiley.

Roger

Thread: Which grade of Locktite to secure threaded brass to Aluminium?
20/12/2016 00:12:59

+1 on the "act quickly" if using a catalyst.

Preferably do a test piece first - identical material, surface treatment, etc. Some years ago I came within an ace of screwing up a mega-expensive job. New bottle of retainer, new activator, and I reckon I had ~10 seconds before it was good-night. I had another three to do, so I made a jig that allowed me get the joint together and adjusted well within that initial cure time. Really worked well, though. The have survived ten years of rugged shipboard and underwater use without even a hint of a problem.

Roger

Thread: DuckDuckGo [search engine]
19/12/2016 13:19:07

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/12/2016 12:29:40:

... but this page appears to be current:

**LINK**

It's not bad, but it still shows using + for required inclusion

Bottom of page --> Last Updated: May 31, 2016 12:45 PM

Roger

PS The menu (top left) of the linked page is useful - The Google Lesson Plans takes you to

http://guides.library.queensu.ca/c.php?g=501742&p=3435814

where there is a link to some searching lessons, but there is also a link to a Google Power Searching course

http://guides.library.queensu.ca/c.php?g=501742&p=3435814

on which there is also an Advanced Power Searching course link.

If I have some time tomorrow I might look into those.

Edited By Roger Head on 19/12/2016 13:36:18

19/12/2016 12:12:54

Yeah, ok Michael. You'd think that search engines would be providing more capabilities as time goes on, not stripping them away. IIRC, Alta Vista had near, and maybe some other selection about where in the page a hit needed to be... (not sure about that, it was a long time ago).

Some (even very elementary) scripting capability would be really useful.

Roger

Thread: Euro space station
19/12/2016 04:07:13

Posted by Ajohnw on 17/12/2016 18:22:34:

... Don't expect all of the fantastic colours shown in photo's though. Only cameras can catch those as the light levels are too low for the human eye - just like the northern lights.

John

For 20 or 30 years our holidays have simply been ocean cruises for a few weeks, out and about in the South Pacific. I like it because it's a means of getting away from the world, family, grandkids, etc. My wife loves it also for the same reasons, but the last few years she keeps nudging me about how much she would love to see the northern lights. I suspect that pictures of the NL might be like pictures of colourful nebulae, gas clouds, etc i.e. beautiful by timed exposure, but perhaps less impressive to the naked eye.

What is the truth?

Roger

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Shapiro
Merdienne London Show 2018
Reeves 2000
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
PaulTheCad
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition