By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BDH

Here is a list of all the postings BDH has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bearing Sources
25/05/2018 20:14:58

Many thanks Bikepete, I've measured the shafts and they are 17mm. The 51230s are 1mm thicker but that shouldn't make any difference.

Some ordered already.

Brian

Thread: Are we Luddites?
25/05/2018 20:11:48

I can remember reading some old Model Engineer mags and many of the letters were bemoaning to use of electic powered lathes, "it just isn't real Model Engineering, what wrong with treadle lathes".

Brian

Thread: Bearing Sources
25/05/2018 12:54:43

I'm having great trouble locating some cheap thrust bearings with the identification 2903 for my ancient Graham Alpine mill/drill.

They are available in USA and Singapore but the postage is ridiculous!

Does anyone on here have any suggestions for where to buy 3 of them?

Brian

Thread: Are we Luddites?
25/05/2018 12:43:00

I'd have to disagree about us being Luddites, we don't go about smashing machinery (usually).

Brian

Thread: Hijacked websites when searching
23/05/2018 17:52:09

Has anyone else come across this problem?

I've conducted a search for information on my Graham Engineering DM25 Mill/Drill and most of the websites that are returned on the search mention my search term but want to sell me earth moving or rock crushing equipment!

I'd like to fill in their on-line enquiry forms with spurious information but cannot be bothered to waste my time further.

Is there anything that can be done about these companies (usually Indian or Chinese)?

Brian

Edited By BDH on 23/05/2018 17:53:02

Thread: What's the best alternative to 'loctited'
23/05/2018 16:30:16

I'm not going to let it worry me!

Brian

Thread: Brass bar , 55 mm - ?supplier
19/05/2018 12:00:32

It would be useful to know your approximate location.

Brian

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
19/05/2018 11:33:57

Thanks Neil, for the threadlock reminder.

I used to have a large milling machine with 3 axis DRO which was magic but I had to downsize when moving house.

My present machine is a mill/drill and I've just bought a M-DRO 2 axis system that was delivered yesterday (Friday 18 May 2018) and needs fitting BUT; I'm away for a few days! Still, it'll get done later in the week.

Brian

Thread: Hi from leeds
17/05/2018 20:51:27

Hello John and welcome. What are you REALLY going to use your lathe for???

Whatever it is, you are sure to find all the help and advice you need on here!

Brian

Thread: Where do modelers get their blue prints?
17/05/2018 08:12:21

The patent office (UK) are very helpful and not expensive but be aware that patent drawings can be very unreliable and often show details that are impossible to manufacture. Their sole purpose is to describe an idea or an improvement to an existing one.

Some drawings are very basic with little or no detail whilst others are very detailed but have features drawn incorrectly so as to not make life too easy!

Brian

17/05/2018 08:06:23
Posted by BDH on 15/05/2018 17:51:23:

Finally finished wiring up a single to 3 phase inverter to my newly acquired Alexander 3A engraver & diesinker. All I need to do now is get the motor to run! Am awaiting a call from the person I bought it from.

Brian

All now working thanks to Direct Drives, who supplied the inverter.

I've only run the motor briefly on a couple of occasions and now need the check that everything is oiled and greased with the correct materials, then I'll have a go at actually cutting brass to make a pair of nameplates for my Burrell Boydell engine.

Brian

Thread: Dead centre temper.
16/05/2018 20:00:51

What material have you used to make your centres?

Brian

15/05/2018 17:51:23

Finally finished wiring up a single to 3 phase inverter to my newly acquired Alexander 3A engraver & diesinker. All I need to do now is get the motor to run! Am awaiting a call from the person I bought it from.

Brian

Thread: PORTASS LATHE
14/05/2018 14:59:59

John, have a look at

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Brian

Thread: Something wrong?
13/05/2018 21:41:05

Thanks for the explanation Jason.

Brian

13/05/2018 19:58:05

Hello Roy. if I go to latest posts and go to the last half dozen or so pages, all the entries have Replies -1 and Latest Post with no name or initials.

Brian

PS. perhaps it is trying to go back too far?

Edited By BDH on 13/05/2018 20:01:40

13/05/2018 19:20:32

There appears to be something wrong with the forum.

Brian

Thread: Doncaster show
13/05/2018 19:14:26

Hope you managed to make the exhibition Neil and if so what were your impressions?

Brian

Thread: Hello All
13/05/2018 19:10:25

Hello Kirk and welcome.

While being more of a road enthusiast I must admit that I prefer standard gauge. There are some nice Hunsleta though!

Brian

Thread: Colchester student cross slide - what bolt threads?
11/05/2018 19:35:30

The only reference to 3/8" X 18 TPI that I can find is 3/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) which is an American standard.

Brian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition