By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MalcB

Here is a list of all the postings MalcB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Warco GH750/ Chester Cub 630 any good for a hobby machine.
09/12/2017 16:08:36

Martin, we were down at Chester at the beginning of the week for their " Open Week".

They have had a couple of old stock Cub Lathes there that they have had for a long while now.

It may be worth having a chat around what best deal would be if you were interested.

Thread: Using Chalk to Centre a 4-Jaw?
29/11/2017 08:57:01

Chalk method is good as above

DTI's can be over sensitive when setting things like irregular castings initially and you may well need one with a lot of travel at first but they good as you close in to final true.

Another method is to have a decent plate that you sit on your bed and which extends back out toward the operator ( also used for sitting a mag base and clock on ) onto which you just use a scribing block at first to get the high points closed in. You can get pretty close just using it like this before final clocking if at all needed.

And for anybody reading this new to lathe work, where the material is of a pretty regular profile you can get the work relatively true to start with, just by using the machined grooves in the 4 jaw chuck face to position the jaws as either equal as needed, or offset to suit the outer profile by using as steel rule to measure positioning.

Thread: Colchester Student 3100 VS
28/11/2017 21:26:15
Posted by Absolute Beginner on 28/11/2017 20:11:02:

Yes Malc,

And we have to remember the prices bid for the auction are + 39% ish

Gary

Yeh, have seen the calcs in earlier posts. At £2300 plus the 39% it still looked a good price, as the lathe looks to be a nice one, but like you mention about the possibility there was large reserve, so no deal.

I have been used to buying for my works in the past, usually from companies that have been in liquidation where most equipment had no reserves, so the only real consideration was the buyers premium. Occasionally the equipment would probably had avreserve where it was still owned by a lease company.

Vat was then not an issue like it is for private buyers. Maybe worth only looking at liquidation sales really.

Anyways Gary, good luck with your search.

28/11/2017 20:05:25

Dont forget: The listed prices on their web site are plus 20% Vat

28/11/2017 20:02:49

Thanks for the great feedback Gary.

Malc

28/11/2017 15:54:56

Just missed the final bidding.

Anybody see what it went for pls?

Thread: casting recommendation
26/11/2017 21:14:37

Another one in the North West for both ferrous and non-ferrous. Used them a lot in industry.

**LINK**

Thread: Alternative source of industrial drawer cabinets?
24/11/2017 18:15:00

Plus another for Bisley especially if you can get their earlier ones.

I personally do find that the later ones are just not as substantial. They are about fit for pupose in a latter day office but struggle a bit in the workshop for heavier items..

The earlier ones seem to have been well over engineered for office use, hence their suitability for the workshop is very good.

Thread: Colchester Student 3100 VS
24/11/2017 10:29:07

I live local to the machine tool dealer and know them quite well. When managing the company i worked for, have dealt with them over the years in both buying and selling. Location both in Tameside and when in Oldham. They have always had a decent reputation for buying and supplying good straight machines. Both the machine tool fitter and electrician they use I have also used and which are well respected.

In fact i bought my current M300 ( in my gallery ) from them as a negotiated cash deal. They have always carried a decent supply reputation. They use contractors for transport who obviously are well versed in handling machine tolols and there is always the possibility they could put their contact details your way. I used them to drop my machine off.

Like with all machine tool dealers, a lot depends on where in the purchase to sale the machine is at. By this i mean when they purchase a machine there may well be faults or it may just be good to go. So how far to being suitable for retail in good to go is always the purchasers gamble prior to buying/bidding.

As for the variable speed Colchester Student I cannot comment specifically but only what I know generally about the variable speed models in particular the Harrisons. The Harrison VS330tr which is the variable speed toolroom version of the M300 has been known to be problematic in industry, can be expensive to correct and be far more difficult to convert to 240v inverter control.

I also think you will find that the variable speed Student will have the same dimensions as the Student 1800 for steadies etc. So check that out if successful.

I took a punt when both a nearly new fixed steady and travelling steady appeared on Ebay for the Harrison VS330tr at an absolutely low BIN price and they fitted the M300 perfectly when they arrived - result.

Thread: Which collet chuck for a Warco GH1236 lathe
02/11/2017 15:38:45

I initialed shared the ER40 set up used for my milling by adding the D1-4 mount chuck on my Harrison M300. It is now just used on the VMC.

I got a great Ebay deal that came up using BIN as it just appeared, on the Pratt D1-4 collet setup which goes up to 38mm. Much better quality than the ER40 system but slower to load and unload. They are great chucks and very positive but they are difficult to get hold of and can command prices up to £500.

img_1034.jpg

Thread: Removing Chucks
26/10/2017 21:03:15
Posted by JasonB on 26/10/2017 20:33:14:

Long bar that passes through the spindle and out the back, tighten chuck onto bar, tap other end of bar with copper/lead hammer. Added bonus is the chuck won't drop onto the bed if you forget to put a board on it for protection.

And should also keep the chuck square the spindle as it comes off. A good fit in the spindle would help.

Thread: Small Pratt burnered chucks. Jaws?
25/10/2017 18:02:00

Thame Engineering may be worth a call as well.

Thread: Where (apart from ebay) to look for a pillar drill base?
22/08/2017 08:54:08

An alternative would be to do yourself a half decent drawing and take it to a steel profilers of the dimensions and contour you want/like and have a profile cut from steel plate.

Have it stress relieved and surface ground ground both sides to clean.

You would have little work left to make it usable.

Thread: Crap vee blocks and "Oxford Precision"?
29/06/2017 11:04:12

Theres a lot of truth in the old saying:

Easy buying cheap tools cheap but buying quality tools cheap is a "science".

I am with Chris Evan6 on his comments in that buying far eastern tools from UK suppliers is the way to go. Taking a chance on import duties and Quality by buying direct, just to save a few quid is dodgy to say the least. Price to return anything is a none starter.

I am pretty sure that the UK suppliers such as Chronos, ARC, RDG, Amadeal, Warco, Chester, ( to name just a few of the more known ones) do in fact carry full QA assessments on their suppliers before putting them on their approved supplier lists.

I know the OP made reference to ARC, but I dont think I read that in any sort of derogatory way, in fact like others, the stuff i have had from them has been spot on for me, in fact comparing to many others i have used both in industry and home, have to say they are up there in the top quartile.

In fact the only real problem i have had in the last 2 or 3 yrs or so were some backing plate raw castings that although looked visually perfect revealed large blow holes ln an important area when machining. These were from RDG being local to me. No problem returning for replacement, just lost time ( but who hadnt experienced this in industry ). No quible and easy. Direct from Asia I would have had to write off.

Thread: Machine moving day.
09/06/2017 19:46:08

You can't beat having someone with a decent bit of kit andknows how to use it.

The lathe looks perfectly balanced. But dont they just looked lost on the flatbed

Thread: Got a Good Story About Buying a Lathe?
02/06/2017 22:37:40

Nothing exciting but:

About 30 years ago I managed to get my hands on an old Colchester Master lathe from either Exchange and Mart or Loot, cant remember which. Chuck wise it it was well equiped and the lathe in more than acceptable condition.

As with many quite a few lathes about then, practically all the change wheels had vanished and no steadies.

It took me about 6 months of continually rumaging around in scrap yards trying to build up a full set of the correct DP wheels to eventually build a full set, several being modified by bushing or boring etc. Alternative steadies were sourced, reworked or adapted to suit.

I dont know if this was just was an excuse to rumage and nosey round but it was always so satisfying as usually something else was bought when leaving. Nobody seemed to bother when you explained the mission you were on, you just got a free hand to roam at will. At the time there was a lot bigger choice of yards about, a lot more machine tools, textile machinery, printing equipment, engines etc being scrapped off.

No chance now with H & S controls, plus scrap yards just Ebay some of what comes thru'. I miss that ability to roam free in them for bits. Dont think I have enjoyed equiping a lathe as much since.

Thread: Scam warning
10/05/2017 07:52:35

Over the last couple of months there has been a continuous flow of the Amadeal mini lathes listed by newly registered zero feedback sellers at around half or less of the Amadeal prices. Last week or two these seem to be stopping or have been blocked.

Usual ploy, Buy it Now with instant payment required, Paypal only, Listed as though a UK named location yet shipping from outside the UK in a very short lead time. Some have even had the Amadeal name still left in the description. You ask a question and get no reply. I reported everyone I managed to see but Ebay still took its time in cancelling them such that quite a few were sold. I am quite sure that Harry from Amadeal must have reported them as well. Ebay and Paypal must be continuosly having to initiate refunds.

If you searched " mini lathes" then completed items you will see some of them.

I have a couple of Ebay accounts and actually bought two of these on one of them and left negative feedback as a scam.

FYI - you can only do this on a PC I think, have not managed to find a way of doing this on a phone or tablet. On the PC you hit BIN and somewhere in the right column you have payment option other. You then have the option to mark as payment sent. Once you do this you can leave feedback. You dont see this option on the ipad or phone thru' an App. Couldnt do it opening Ebay via safari on the ipad either, you still only got the option requiring instant payment. Maybe there is a way on the tablet which some Ebay guru can sort?

Thread: What do you think of these lathes
06/05/2017 19:41:10

Tony, if you are looking at used Colchesters, then take a look at Nobilla Machine tools.

They always have a large selection and do lick of paint through to full refurbs. Look for machines with warranties and check whats also included in them.

West Point Machine Tools also normally carry one or two half decent machines.

Never be scared to haggle big and work down.

Thread: warco lathes.
27/04/2017 21:43:19

Excel Machine Tools do a very similar range of conventional lathes to the Axminister range, may be worth a look.

The XYZ Machine Tools Trainer lathe is also similar but only 750mm twixt centres which sounds as though may be a tad short for you.

25/04/2017 17:58:27
Posted by KWIL on 25/04/2017 16:13:43:

Bit two faced really then, business use but use Consumer protection to get it fixed.

Not as two faced as retailers that list their products as suitable for proffesional use when clearly they are not even fit for purpose in a domestic environment.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Merdienne London Show 2018
Ausee.com.au
Expo Tools July 14
Sarik
Shapiro
ChesterUK
Reeves 2000
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition