By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MalcB

Here is a list of all the postings MalcB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does 4 jaw chuck quality matter
19/03/2018 22:28:52
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 19/03/2018 20:22:59:

As above, even 4 aw chucks suffer from bell mouthed jaws and sloppy fitting slots. You should see the length of tube some folk use on the chuck keys to tighten them !

You will also see a lot of independant 4 jaw chucks with significant cracks in the screws around the chuck key locations because of these " tube users ".

Thread: First Milling Machine
12/03/2018 15:35:39

I personally would prefer a turret mill like the Chester or Warco 626 sized VMC's over a bench mill because of the added versatility they can offer.

Mines an early Chester 626 picked up 2nd hand with 3 x axis DRO and single axis power feed.

Warco have upped their game on their VMC by offering a variable speed jobby version which may be of interest.

If you can financially run to it go for DRO/ power feed options to kick off with, however if not and you are handy you can upgrade later yourself with better systems.

Thread: Fitting Inverter Drive to Harrison M300 Lathe
07/03/2018 06:42:16
Posted by Jon on 06/03/2018 21:44:52:
Posted by MalcB on 04/03/2018 16:56

Hi Ken,

How did you get round the chuck guard limit switch when you have to remove the guard?

Tape it closed, remove and leave tied up, first thing i did 8 1/2 years ago.

Thanks Jon, but mines already sorted. I have included for additional switching in my circuitry to engage or disengage the chuck guard switch as needed. I was asking how Ken had dealt with it on his similar machine as dont think it was shown in MEW article.

06/03/2018 13:27:43
Posted by KWIL on 06/03/2018 10:54:06:

MalcB,

The chuck guard limit switch/wiring lies at the base of the left hand pedestal, unused but still wired. I hate chuck guards in general but the M300 one has a use to hold the horribly heavy extra large 4 jaw ind when fitting/removal.

K

Yes, i understand exactly about the 8" heavy Pratt 4 jaw as I got one with my lathe. I did however manage to get a slim bodied 8" Pratt 4 jaw ( almost unused ) at a very good price which also has much narrower jaws. Had to D1-4 backplate mount it but its much lighter and feels a lot more sensitive. In fact its a joy to use against the industrial one which I now only use occasionally. These are well worth looking out for to use on the M300.

04/03/2018 16:56:03
Posted by KWIL on 04/03/2018 12:38:13:

MalcB.

May I reply to your "but overly complex on the logic controls" ?

I merely removed from the original Harrison circuit, those items not necessary for the Inverter approach. I kept otherwise to the Harrison logic approach to controls and safety. I could with a minimum of work, revert to the 3 phase power without the inverter.

Ken Willson

Hi Ken,

How did you get round the chuck guard limit switch when you have to remove the guard?

04/03/2018 10:46:39

Gareth PM sent

04/03/2018 08:57:55

Hi Gareth, you do not mention which type of M300 you have purchased or are purchasing.

I have the same later (2003) white model that Ken Wilson covered in the MEW no.154 -2009. These models have more extended electrical controls than the cream coloured earlier versions. There are more contactors and overload protectors to deal with.

I found Kens version really good but overly complex on the logic controls. I hence did my own circuit diagram on the CAD with a lot of help from a friend who is an electrical wizzard and got him to check it all as i progressed. All the contactors and overload protects are done and supplemented as in Kens circuit but my logic controls differ but still retain all the use of all original controls and safety features.

I do have the coolant pump in the circuit which worked when i tested it but i never use it. I use a none soluble cutting oil from a Wurth oil spray application bottle. I find this far more userfriendly to the machines slideways etc.

I use the Teco inverter which to date has been perfect. I do have an issue with the foot bar brake. It works as normal if not used too heavily but under total emergency hammer down braking it decelerates the inverter too quickly and throws an error that needs a total repower to clear. It does do the dramatic stop that may be needed. This is because it also uses break blocks on the pully alongside the inverters electrical breaking. At the moment i live with this but may be future work in progress as i dont normally use the foot brake as the saddle lever controls work very well on their own. I know the foot brakes is there if i need it in an emergency.

You do need to Joint the yahoo harrison lathe user group as there is masses of info on there on VFD,s and their application and highlighted potential problems that have been overcome. There is a user on there called Rupert Powell who has provided invaluable info and drawings, some of which I have incorporated into the logic part of my controls.

Thread: lignum vitie bearings
02/03/2018 08:16:24

You can in fact machine oilite bearings, there are articles on the recommendations for doing this if you google.

Yes you can run the risk of burnishishing the pores but if you stick to guide lines this means fine point boring to size ( not reaming ) with a very sharp small boring tool running at a surface speed ( from memory ) of around 150-200 metres/min.

Reamers will burnish the pores

Thread: Boxford AUD
13/02/2018 21:29:42

Hi Peter,

I would look at joining the Yahoo Boxford owners group as well. There is a wealth of information on there and plenty of files you can view or download including manuals.

Thread: How effective are phase converters
08/01/2018 10:00:34

One thing that does meed mentioning is that the Transwave Rotarys can also take up a lot of space in a workshop. If space is at an absolute premium then that may well be an important factor as you can get a compressor in a worksop in the space that a rotary will take for example. A VFD takes absolute minimum space.

Edited By MalcB on 08/01/2018 10:01:05

Thread: Scam or too good to be True
20/12/2017 21:34:21

Yes, even less on the Myford?

20/12/2017 21:16:33

Qualters and Smith Drill

**LINK**

Thread: Warco GH750/ Chester Cub 630 any good for a hobby machine.
09/12/2017 16:08:36

Martin, we were down at Chester at the beginning of the week for their " Open Week".

They have had a couple of old stock Cub Lathes there that they have had for a long while now.

It may be worth having a chat around what best deal would be if you were interested.

Thread: Using Chalk to Centre a 4-Jaw?
29/11/2017 08:57:01

Chalk method is good as above

DTI's can be over sensitive when setting things like irregular castings initially and you may well need one with a lot of travel at first but they good as you close in to final true.

Another method is to have a decent plate that you sit on your bed and which extends back out toward the operator ( also used for sitting a mag base and clock on ) onto which you just use a scribing block at first to get the high points closed in. You can get pretty close just using it like this before final clocking if at all needed.

And for anybody reading this new to lathe work, where the material is of a pretty regular profile you can get the work relatively true to start with, just by using the machined grooves in the 4 jaw chuck face to position the jaws as either equal as needed, or offset to suit the outer profile by using as steel rule to measure positioning.

Thread: Colchester Student 3100 VS
28/11/2017 21:26:15
Posted by Absolute Beginner on 28/11/2017 20:11:02:

Yes Malc,

And we have to remember the prices bid for the auction are + 39% ish

Gary

Yeh, have seen the calcs in earlier posts. At £2300 plus the 39% it still looked a good price, as the lathe looks to be a nice one, but like you mention about the possibility there was large reserve, so no deal.

I have been used to buying for my works in the past, usually from companies that have been in liquidation where most equipment had no reserves, so the only real consideration was the buyers premium. Occasionally the equipment would probably had avreserve where it was still owned by a lease company.

Vat was then not an issue like it is for private buyers. Maybe worth only looking at liquidation sales really.

Anyways Gary, good luck with your search.

28/11/2017 20:05:25

Dont forget: The listed prices on their web site are plus 20% Vat

28/11/2017 20:02:49

Thanks for the great feedback Gary.

Malc

28/11/2017 15:54:56

Just missed the final bidding.

Anybody see what it went for pls?

Thread: casting recommendation
26/11/2017 21:14:37

Another one in the North West for both ferrous and non-ferrous. Used them a lot in industry.

**LINK**

Thread: Alternative source of industrial drawer cabinets?
24/11/2017 18:15:00

Plus another for Bisley especially if you can get their earlier ones.

I personally do find that the later ones are just not as substantial. They are about fit for pupose in a latter day office but struggle a bit in the workshop for heavier items..

The earlier ones seem to have been well over engineered for office use, hence their suitability for the workshop is very good.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
ChesterUK
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
SPG Tools October Seventeen
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition