By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carl Wilson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Carl Wilson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7 metric change gears
14/01/2018 13:43:01
We can make gears for a variety of machines.

Pm me with your requirements and we'll be pleased to quote.

Carl.
14/01/2018 13:03:04
Just as an aside we can 3d print these gears for you.

We've just done some for a Drummond M type so we are kind of in the zone. Let me know if interested.

Carl.
Thread: Mr Pete - Loading the gear train
14/01/2018 12:21:42
I've watched it too. My own experience with the tests that we did on our production 3d printed Gears showed that even under heavy stress at the cutting tool they are still relatively lightly loaded. There is still a feedshaft/leadscrew gearbox between the change wheels and the "load". The ones we made were and are just as good as the phenolic gears originally made by Harrison themselves.

At the end of the day it is a difficult test to make. You'd have to run them loaded for thousands of hours to check wear etc. Making chips at different feed rates and or depths of cut isn't a practical way to do that.

We concluded that the gears that we made at least would last many years given that they are relatively lightly loaded in most cases and are often rarely used. That said the mechanical properties of the material suggests long term testing would also result in a positive outcome.
14/01/2018 11:31:40
Increasing the feed rate means changing the gears..depends on the lathe I guess. Not in our case.

14/01/2018 10:26:26
This is very interesting. My friend Richard and I have been making 3d printed change gears for about 18 months now. We are using a Formlabs SLA machine and the resins we use are the tough types made by Formlabs. Unlike plastic filament or recycled PET bottles etc, these are engineered materials with empirically derived published mechanical properties.

When we made the original set for my Harrison M250, we decided to test them by progressively increasing depth of cut and feed rate together on my machine. This was done on a 50mm piece of 316 stainless steel round bar.

We saw increasing both variables as a quick and dirty means if progressively and rapidly loading up the gears. Even with very heavy cuts and feed rates on the 316 the 3d printed Gears showed no signs of strain or wear, either on the teeth or driving features.
Thread: Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)
25/12/2017 10:28:52
Christmas spirit not to blame just tiredness. I'm working on a ship. My Xmas day is machining some threaded bushes on a big Chinese lathe.

If you need any help with this project or your club mates do please pm me or email me.

You can look at my blog too, British Reaction Research. There is a build log for the unit. It's in 2015's posts.

Merry Christmas,

Carl.
25/12/2017 00:12:18
Hi John,

Merry Christmas. I hope you find the stepper driven rotary table as useful as I have.

Mine was an eight wire motor. I wired the coils in series as Dave mentions to end up with a four wire motor.

Zapp give data sheets for all their motors giving wire colours and a diagram of the coils so you can see what's what.
25/12/2017 00:12:17
Hi John,

Merry Christmas. I hope you find the stepper driven rotary table as useful as I have.

Mine was an eight wire motor. I wired the coils in series as Dave mentions to end up with a four wire motor.

Zapp give data sheets for all their motors giving wire colours and a diagram of the coils so you can see what's what.
Thread: How to make a large ring gear?
16/12/2017 00:26:31
Friend of mine could possibly 3d print this for you using a Form Labs 2 SLA machine.

We have been using this to manufacture change wheels for mainly Harrison Lathes, with great success.

The gears are printed in a tough resin that is hard-wearing. Mechanical properties can be provided.

So far we've only tackled external gears but an internal one would be interesting. My friend uses Inventor to render the gears so calculation of allowance for the interferences should be straightforward.

Pm me if interested.

Carl.

Thread: Rust removal methods safe for cutting tools / precision parts?
02/12/2017 00:01:37
I've used a product called Bilt Hamber De-ox C. Very effective.
Thread: Planned debris recovery satellite
30/11/2017 22:26:37
Hold on a minute. The moon landings? Nonsense?
Thread: Chester or Warco.
23/11/2017 10:41:00
Well said.
23/11/2017 10:18:13
It's true that any lathe is better than none. I feel for people though when they want to make a start and have saved up money to buy a machine that seems decent, only to find that they are frustrated and prevented from doing anything by its lack of quality.
23/11/2017 10:02:23
Morning everyone. Snow here this morning so snow man duty beckons...

I don't recall Rockets ever denying he is my brother. We used to live about 12 miles apart but my brother moved due to work. We used to pool resources and tools etc, so the distance us a bit more of a hassle now. We still sometimes send each other tools. However that got a bit sticky when I sent him a Tig welder.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with the moderators. Access to everything you say? I'm glad I'm not one. I would not know what to do with power of that magnitude.

Getting back to the OP's original point, I reckon I'd go for Warco over Chester. There being a lot of evidence of Chester having quality issues.

I hope they manage to sort it. I liked them, I've been to their place in Hawarden a few times and bought tooling from them. Part of my disappointment with them stems from having had a decent relationship with them at an earlier point.

I'm not trying to upset anyone or defame anyone. If I go on like this though, defaming people, arguing with the mods, generally being perceived as curmudgeonly and obstreperous...I'll be getting a trophy named after me in no time.
Thread: First project
22/11/2017 19:19:41
Very nice indeed. Nice to see something aircraft related.
21/11/2017 17:54:33
The hobby is sustained by mini lathes and other Chinese or far east made ones. I'm not denigrating them. I've owned a Chinese lathe and used it and I have a Taiwan made mill.

What I am trying to get across - and what, quite frankly, I think some are wilfully misunderstanding- is that regardless of cost the items sent out should be fit for purpose. Not rusty, loose, bits missing, full if casting sand - take your pick of the list of faults - the importers need to sort this instead of relying on those salt of the earth me types who never complain but just doff their cap and sort out whatever wrong.

I'm grateful to the Importers and Chinese makers for keeping things going and keeping them affordable. But spending upwards of a grand on something that is unusable and has to have significant remedial work done to make it so? I'm not that grateful.
Thread: RDG service
21/11/2017 15:00:18
I've used RDG a lot and always found them really helpful, so plus 1.
Thread: Division Master (Stepper Motor Dividing)
21/11/2017 14:58:05
As is well known to members of my family I am a complete numpty. Therefore I needed to automate indexing which resulted in my article.

Dave that motor mount is a thing of beauty. I wish I'd thought of that.
Thread: Guy Martin - WW1 Tank - Channel 4
21/11/2017 14:54:33
I wish I'd known about that as it sounds fascinating. Hopefully I will be able to watch on demand.
21/11/2017 14:21:29
I can understand why Jason and the other mods on here would want to defend Chester and the rest. Every copy of ME and MEW has a full page advert on the back for them, and they advertise on here too. So, I get it.

I'm not comparing Chester's or anyone elses hobby machine output with their more expensive industrial offerings.

I simply believe that the hobby machines they sell should be fit for purpose, regardless of how much money is spent on them.

Just because people aren't shelling out multiple thousands for toolroom quality machines does not give the importers a license to rip people off by sending them junk. Which is exactly what they are doing.

Edited By Carl Wilson 4 on 21/11/2017 14:22:49

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools July 14
Merdienne London Show 2018
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
SPG Tools October Seventeen
Sarik
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Shapiro
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition