By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carl Wilson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Carl Wilson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe advice please
21/01/2017 19:58:03
Harrison M250.
Thread: Controller for a kiln/heat treating furnace
17/01/2017 20:50:59
Interesting circuit John, thanks for posting. I've got an old pottery kiln that I'm using to heat treat aluminium post welding.

Thread: "Gas" Threads
11/01/2017 20:05:54

According to the book I'm consulting Gas Threads (Brass Pipe Sizes) everything from nominal size 3/8 to nominl 1" is 27tpi.

11/01/2017 19:43:30

I know very well that NPT has nothing to do with British Standard thread forms. I also have a number of NPT taps as well as BSPT and BSP. I work with the three systems every day. What no-one has yet been able to tell me is if gas threads are of Whitworth form and nothing to do with NPT then why does the data state that they are 27tpi?

Thread: Arduino Rotary Table MEW 249 Wrong part Number
11/01/2017 19:36:20

Peter,

No. What Dave is talking about is a different version of the LCD and button shield that needs different values in the Arduino's program for the Arduino to recognise which button is being pressed. If you are wiring up remote buttons all you have to do is to solder leads onto the contacts of the buttons on the LCD/button shield and then connect these leads to the relevant remote buttons.

If you have any more queries on building up the unit don't hesitate to PM me.

Carl.

11/01/2017 18:09:07
I worked in an aircraft environment where 0Ba and 1/4 bsf kit was used on the same aircraft. In that world, measures are taken to avoid the human factors errors that would lead to a mistaken pairing.

47.5 degree into 55 degree doesn't bear thinking about.

So back to the original post. Nobody has yet answered what exactly is the gas thread and what is the thread angle?

11/01/2017 14:51:15
I don't need to know for practical purposes. I'm very familiar with Bsp, bspt and npt from hydraulic systems.

The gas thread seemed to share some similarities with npt being 27tpi...so what is the thread angle? I suspect 55 degrees or is it 60 degrees?
Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
11/01/2017 12:48:04

Hello Martin,

I redeemed myself after that by going up to Kinloss after Abingdon shut and spending 4 years on NMSU, doing Nimrod majors. I then went on to the line at Kinloss where I spent the rest of my time until I left the RAF in 2002.

Unfortunately the story with the Nimrod was that many risks were taken with that aircraft by shortsighted bean counters without anyone in particular taking ownership of them. That resulted in the completely avoidable deaths of 15 good men. And that is the real reason why the Nimrod was scrapped.

11/01/2017 12:41:26

I was talking about this with my brother last night over whatsapp. He does motorbike restoration. He has a book of thread data from 1955. I asked him if the gas threads were anything like NPT as that was the first thing that occurred to me. Thanks for that.

11/01/2017 12:08:46
I was having a discussion yesterday about so called gas threads. They are covered in a book I was shown. I've vaguely heard of them before and had always assumed they are Bsp. They are apparently found on some old British bikes, on fuel lines etc.

So. Are they the same as BSP or something slightly different? The data in the book lead me to think the same. Often used on brass fittings etc I'm told.
Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
11/01/2017 11:49:04
Martin,

I was one of the NSRF team at Abingdon who stripped out the Nimrod Aews and then cut them up. A soul destroying job.
Thread: Centre finder for bars
11/01/2017 10:18:00
From Trustee from the Toolroom. If you haven't read it then do, you'll enjoy it.
11/01/2017 10:17:07
That is ingenious. We had similar for aircraft work. You are truly an engineer by Nevil Shute's definition:- "An engineer is a man who can do for five bob what any bloody fool can do for a quid..."
Thread: advice required
10/01/2017 22:53:06
That's top notch turning in anyone's book!
10/01/2017 20:21:57
Hi John,

Mate of mine with similar problem to you went to look at a Boxford today. It had come from a school. It was OK tooling wise but was an old knacker in other respects. Strangely he described it's drive to me and it sounded like a variator type unit a la Colchester Chipmaster.

I think that a lot of lathes advertised for private sale are like this. They are sold by people who don't know what they have. Whereas the likes of us who have good machines and tooling don't sell them.

So I guess what I'm saying is what I said to him. You'll never get a decent tooled machine for not much money. Save the ackers a bit more and buy from a reputable dealer. There are some good machines on Quillstar just now. Including Myfords if that does it for you. No connection.
09/01/2017 19:37:50

Spot the difference:-

coltban.jpg

hm250.jpg

09/01/2017 19:31:13

Fair Enough John. I have a friend who is in a similar situation to you. He actually wasgiven a Rollo Elf over Christmas. It has a Sturmey Archer bike hub as a change speed unit. Actually rather ingenious. Although a nice thing it is of no use to him as he wants to do classic car work...I think he is looking for a Harrison L5 or maybe a 140.

I'm sorry if my gentle ribbing of the Myford crew offended you in any way, it wasn't my intention. Being ex military I do like a bit of friendly banter. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea though.

09/01/2017 19:27:27

Psst...It is I...Zee 'Arrison M250.....

09/01/2017 19:23:56

Compare and contrast girls and boys:-

colchester bantam 2000mk3.jpg

harrison m250.jpg

09/01/2017 19:09:25

Yes. I believe a Colchester Student is more in line with a Harrison M300. From what I can tell, a Harrison M250 is more like a Colchester Bantam. In fact, after the 600 group rationalisation, I think there was a Colchester Bantam that was essentially a Harrison M250 with a different badge and a few cosmetic alterations. I think this is shown on lathes .co.uk.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd
Eccentric Engineering
PaulTheCad
Reeves 2000
emcomachinetools
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition