By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carl Wilson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Carl Wilson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Arduinos and Microcontrollers ref: Rotary Table Mew 249
19/02/2017 18:59:22
There is nothing wrong with it. The bench is acting as a sounding box and is amplifying the normal sound the unit makes.
Thread: Question on chucks & a warning on lathe safety.
10/02/2017 09:30:20
Was that the apprentices fault? No it was not. A case of a lack of adequate supervision.
Thread: Where to get a bed regrind?
10/02/2017 09:17:33
It's astonishing the junk people buy because it says Myford on it.
Thread: Threading stainless 8mm on lathe 7x14
10/02/2017 09:13:52
Sounds like good work Nigel. Similar to the sort of thing I've seen done on ships.
Thread: Arduino Rotary Table MEW 249 Wrong part Number
09/02/2017 21:50:17
Spot on Nick, well done.
09/02/2017 10:33:01
Okay dokay. Sounds like a conflict between dip switch settings and software microstepping parameter.
09/02/2017 10:06:53
I will try to take a good photo of the driver board and get it posted here as a reference.

It sounds like the motor in the above post is not 1.8 degree per step. NEMA 23 is just a frame size, it doesn't specify any of the other parameters.

Carl.
07/02/2017 12:58:55
Matt,

You will still need to ground the Arduino and driver so that the signals to the driver are referenced to a common point.

You can solder your ground directly to the Arduino on any of the ground pins or directly to the 0 volt pin of the power socket.
06/02/2017 20:24:22
Hi Matt,

For some reason I can't see your photo. Can you post it again please?
Thread: Using Toolmakers Buttons
05/02/2017 19:20:28
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about using the milling cutter in the tailstock.

Less likely to follow the path of the inaccurate first pilot hole...That's not too reassuring. Kind of negates the centring with the button etc.

I'm sure I've got it wrong.
Thread: VFD article in MEW 251
01/02/2017 12:49:27
I think those Jaguar IMO inverters have a pair of low voltage terminals that require continuity before the unit will work.

So I'm tentatively thinking here that the interlocks and E stop on the machine could be wired in series to these terminals.

Carl.
01/02/2017 12:46:39
Yes the pendant moves. But the pendant does not have an emergency stop on it. The author has used the same motor type on both his lathe and Mill hence inverter parameters don't need to be altered.
01/02/2017 12:32:42
I've been reading the article by Mr. Laurie Leonards in MEW 251 regarding porting his VFD between different machines.

A good idea I think, and something I could use myself. I was wondering how the requirement for emergency stops were incorporated in this system. Can the author enlighten me please?

Carl.
Thread: Couple of things at Lidl
31/01/2017 11:39:33
My brother has one of those. There is a lot of play in the quill. There is apparently a mod online to sort it.
Thread: Vane type compressor
28/01/2017 17:50:50
Thanks for the replies. Of course I'd thought of putting thecompressor in a shed. I can't for various reasons.

That's why I thought of picking up a second hand vane compressor unit (not a full compressor as some seem to have thought) and adapting my current machine.

Noise wise I think they are something like 65db from what I've read.
28/01/2017 13:26:58
Hello all,

I'm looking to get hold of a vane type compressor, like a hydro vane. I don't mean the full unit with air receiver etc. Just the compressor unit itself.

My embryonic plan is to modify my workshop compressor by removing the noisy reciprocating pump from it and shoe Horning the hydro vane type unit in.

Anyone know where I might get such a thing?
Thread: Why "Press Brake" and not "Brake Press"
28/01/2017 10:41:53
If a press brake is something you use to press some part of a brake system then by definition my foot is one.
27/01/2017 21:27:05
Why why press brake and not brake press?
27/01/2017 19:20:33
Hi John,

Many thanks. I decided to leave the USB connector be. My unit worked as advertised straight away, so I don't see a massive need for reprogramming. In the rare instance I might need to its no hassle opening the box.

Carl.
27/01/2017 17:52:30
John,

Congratulations on a great write up. I did a very similar thing on my blog, British Reaction Research. Unfortunately space constraints within the magazine did not permit such a comprehensive treatment.

A very good idea to bring out the reset button and I shall modify mine forthwith!

Carl.
Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Advertise With Us
PaulTheCad
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Reeves 2000
Warco
Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition