By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carl Wilson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Carl Wilson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Westminster Attack 22 March 2017
22/03/2017 20:00:28
Plus one more. We are truly blessed in this country to have Police and Security Forces who put their lives on the line every day to ensure our safety.

Today one of these brave selfless individuals made the ultimate sacrifice. My heart and the hearts of all my family go out to that individuals family. The devotion to duty and the gallantry displayed by the Officer in question are truly humbling.
Thread: Having PCB's made
20/03/2017 22:23:50
First of all, many thanks to you Brian for offering to help me. I'm definitely going to take you up on your kind offer. I shall pm you in due course.

I don't think it is fantasy to give someone a circuit diagram and end up with a pcb in the slightest. The circuit design is an adc with an RS232 output. A parallel Adc output is made serial and then converted to RS232 format by a few flip flops and shift registers, with a 555 timer as the clock.

I could build this on vero board and I would were it not for the fact that I want 10 units the same.
20/03/2017 07:04:33
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
19/03/2017 20:35:28

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a company or individual who could make some PCBs for me.

The type of service I'm looking for is that I would send them the circuit diagram and they would send me the PCB. I know I could sit down and learn to use PCB CAD software etc but I don't have the time.

So if there is a small company out there, or even an enthusiastic individual who can make me 10 or so PCBs from a circuit diagram then I'm interested in finding out how much it would cost.

To clarify, it is just the bare PCBs I need. I will populate them myself.

Thanks in advance,

Carl.

Thread: Latest ME magazine
11/03/2017 21:28:22

Thank you. That free reader on the pocket mags website is weird.

I am intrigued by the modification to stop a round column mill losing register. the only thing that concerns me about the design is that the lower aluminium plate that holds the steel round bar is split in two and clamped to the column. I'm thinking that there is the possibility for this to swivel around the column, just like the mill head can, and thereby cause registration to be lost.

I guess the author didn't have this problem as he seems pleased with the results.

Carl.

11/03/2017 20:31:50

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to buy an online/PDF copy of the new ME magazine. The one at the top of this page.

It has an article in it about a modification to round column mills. As I have one of these pesky things i would not mind a gander.

Thanks in advance,

Carl.

Thread: Arduino Rotary Table MEW 249
06/03/2017 15:55:13
I'll go the whole hog and make it RS485.
06/03/2017 11:18:21
I'm hoping the RS232 link will please the traditionalists. It's ancient technology.
06/03/2017 11:11:02
One more time for the hard of understanding who inhabit this forum.

I had a need for auto indexing. I wanted a quick easy solution. I went with the Arduino and plug in boards option. It occurred to me that this was a good example of how electronics could be demonstrated to have solved a workshop need, and could be implemented in a straightforward way by those with little prior knowledge. I then wrote up what I did.

I didn't anticipate the troubles with different cards being used together. Mine
worked first time.

I'd hoped, vainly it now seems, that my little bit of altruism would be seen as an attempt to prove that electronics can have a place in anyone's workshop and that you don't necessarily have to make a large time or financial investment to get something done.

I know the reason for a lot of the bitching, of course. It's because some are not happy unless every MEW article is concerned with the construction of widget to make turning those new fangled Whitworth threads so much easier on your treadle operated Drummond model B.

My next offering for MEW will be a mechanical testing machine involving hydraulics, electronic extension measurement and force measurement sent to a logging computer via an RS232 link. The computer will display the results on a GUI built using labview.

A word to the detractors. Your mealy mouthed utterances have just made me stronger.
Thread: Clarke lathe
22/02/2017 20:17:31
Hello John,

I haven't got a Clark lathe but I did have a Chester Model B that is quite similar to the Clark lathe/mill combo.

The machine was a pretty good lathe but not so hot as a mill. The milling head wasn't very rigid and there wasn't much headroom between the mill chuck and vice.

I think the Clark ones are slightly different so may fair better.
Thread: Arduinos and Microcontrollers ref: Rotary Table Mew 249
21/02/2017 23:03:35

I have to say that looks very good indeed.

Thread: Arc Euro Trade
21/02/2017 23:01:05
Posted by John Stevenson on 21/02/2017 22:06:58:

He'd have done better just buying a sample gear so once it was in his hand he could see if it would do the job it wasn't intended for.

He is trying to save money buying expensive Emco gears but wants others to do the leg work. and all for three quid.

Typical poorly thought out nonsense from this particular poster. In what regard does he want others to do the leg work? He asked a simple question, got fobbed of on the phone by someone who could not be bothered and then got the information elsewhere.

A moderator was clearly responsible for deleting his initial post in which he criticised Arc's customer service. I put it to you that the moderator in question was none other than yourself.

21/02/2017 14:19:22
If you go back through some of the older threads there is a reasonable body of evidence to suggest that Arc Euro do indeed own this forum...
21/02/2017 14:15:04
Hello Baldric,

That is good to hear. It would be good to use an I2c interface for the display and a rotary controller. Personally I don't find a menu system particularly onerous or hard to use. My own view is that such refinements aren't really worth the extra effort.

I'm really intrigued by your idea to Base a power feed on your mill around this system. I have had exactly the same thoughts and it's something I'm looking into.

Carl.
21/02/2017 12:48:02
Posted by John Stevenson on 20/02/2017 21:41:59:

It's a real shame that quite a few people have come up with an Arduino based rotary table project but have copied one another in that they just use the shield for input.

There are very, cheap keypads made for the Arduino costing about £1.50 each and there are also pre written sketches for them but no one thinks it important enough to link the 3 parts together to give a direct input like the Division Master or Steve Wards very well though out controller.

Instead they rely of 5 buttons to produce layer upon layer of nested menus and for what ? To save £1.50 ?

John,

The whole point of the article was to show those with little or no electronics knowledge that systems such as the one covered are within anyone's grasp. It was intended to demonstrate that electronics and microcontrollers definitely have a place within the sphere of mechanical engineering, as they now have had in the real world for over 30 years.

I hoped to show that anyone can use these modular systems to assemble a device in short order that can solve a production engineering problem as it arises.

If I saved £1.50 in the process, so much the better.

Carl.

21/02/2017 11:26:38
Emco would let you look at a gear through a triple glazed window for 5 minutes for 12 pounds.

Edited By Carl Wilson 4 on 21/02/2017 11:47:48

Edited By Carl Wilson 4 on 21/02/2017 11:48:27

21/02/2017 11:24:00
Hi John,

Glad to know it's now all good. It is a good system and it works very well. All thanks to Gary Limings software. Happy indexing.
21/02/2017 11:22:31
The genus of the project was that I needed a quick, simple solution that would work reliably. It was and it does.

The system was also inexpensive. Quick. Simple. Reliable. Cost effective. It's what engineering is about.
20/02/2017 20:36:04
Of course the key dimension will be taken into account.

Some Emco machines use a smaller bore gear with a pin. Some use a 14mm bore with a keyway. This is the latter.

I will now climb back up the Christmas tree.
20/02/2017 14:54:56
To calculate the mod is straightforward. Mod = OD/n+2 where n is number of teeth.

The idea of this is to take cheaply available mod 1 gears (ie mini lathe ones) and modify them to fit an Emco Maximat. This is my brothers lathe and he has no changewheels for it. The Emco ones are mod 1.

Edited By Carl Wilson 4 on 20/02/2017 14:56:36

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Engineering? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne Exhibitions Ltd
Reeves 2000
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Allendale Electronics
PaulTheCad
ChesterUK
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Visit the Model Engineer
Exhibition website

Model Engineer Exhibition